John Adams: SEC teams have plenty of fun at the expense of Ohio schools

Tennessee hasn't played Cincinnati since 1992, which leads to an obvious question: Why?

SEC fans outside of Kentucky or Vanderbilt have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than seeing their team lose to a school from Ohio.

Ohio State's bowl failure against SEC teams is well documented. But the rest of Ohio isn't exactly flourishing against the SEC. Even Vanderbilt has won more often than it has lost against Ohio teams.

Tennessee is 7-1 against Ohio teams with its only loss coming to Cincinnati in 1904. Imagine how many UT fans have been abducted by Martians alone since then.

Tennessee 37, Cincinnati 27: The Vols have waited so long to play Cincinnati, it has become BCS certified.

The Bearcats don't just belong to the BCS. They actually participate in BCS bowls (after the 2008 and 2009 seasons).

They have progressed to the point that beating them would be significant for a UT program that hasn't played in a BCS bowl this millennium. If not for the victory over Ole Miss last November, this would rank as the biggest victory of the Derek Dooley era.

South Carolina 34, Georgia 24: As usual, head coach Mark Richt and Mike Bobo will get most of the blame for the Bulldogs' failure. And no one will point an accusatory finger at Russ, who is 4-6 as an interim mascot after the season-opening loss to Boise State.

That's why I call him "Teflon Uga."

Mississippi State 37, Auburn 30: Welcome to the Cam Newton Bowl.

Auburn is the school that won last year's national championship with Newton as its quarterback. Mississippi State is the school that would have won the national championship if it had paid whatever Newton's dad was asking.

If Cam Newton can't toss the coin, maybe his father, Cecil, will do the honors. His son is making so much money with the Carolina Panthers, Cecil probably won't even pocket the coin.

Alabama 27, Penn State 13: Any Alabama coach worth a stadium statue has beaten coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions. In fact, Nick Saban even beat them when he was coaching Michigan State.

It will be a game-day decision as to whether Joe Paterno will coach from the sideline, the press box, a nearby hotel or from a distant cousin's den.

Vanderbilt 20, Connecticut 17: The Commodores obviously are thinking "big picture" here.

Expect to see a few UT fans in the stands in support of first-year UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni, whose fourth-quarter coaching at Syracuse got the Vols off and running toward their 1998 national championship.

Ole Miss 35, Southern Illinois 10: Rebels fans have been pointing to this game since 1994.

Not only did Ole Miss beat Southern Illinois 59-3 that year.

It did so without a full-time head coach. And the interim coach wasn't even fully dressed.

At least, I don't remember Joe Lee Dunn ever wearing socks.

LSU 52, Northwestern State 7: Tulane was the last Louisiana team to beat LSU (in 1982). In-state schools, Tulane included, have been paying for it ever since.

LSU has won 26 consecutive games against in-state schools. Only two of those games were decided by fewer than 12 points. Not even Curley Hallman lost to an in-state school.

Arkansas 60, New Mexico 10: The Lobos haven't given up more than 60 points since way back in late November of last year. But they haven't improved enough to keep the Razorbacks from posting a basketball score.

Kentucky 24, Central Michigan 13: If you are still calling Kentucky quarterback Morgan Newton "Cam" by mistake, you didn't see him play last week against Western Kentucky.

Top 25: Florida State 55, Charleston Southern 3; Stanford 52, Duke 17; Wisconsin 34, Oregon State 17; Nebraska 41, Fresno State 13; Virginia Tech 42, Arkansas State 17; Oregon 45, Nevada 13; TCU 34, Air Force 20; Ohio State 31, Toledo 17; Michigan State 45, Florida Atlantic 8; West Virginia 42, Norfolk State 7; South Florida 34, Ball State 17; Texas 30, BYU 10.

Record: 20-2 (.909) overall, 10-7 (.588) against the spread.

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/johnadamskns

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Adams is a great reporter, but may have gotten this one wrong...Cincy could be 2-1 against the Vols after this one...Making Dooley the only coach to lose to Cincy since the turn of the twentieth century...All you Fulmer haters...Just remember, he beat them in 92.

linebam writes:

John, you conveniently failed to mention that one of the "only two... decided by fewer than 12 points" came against a Derek Dooley coached LaTech team (11/14/09 - Final: LSU 24 - LaTech 16 (IN Baton Rouge!)). Way to go, CDD!

Go Vols!!

VOLliven2it writes:

Well there are a lot of Could be's. GA could be 2-0, if they had beaten BSU and beat So. Carolina this Sat. Auburn could be on probation and there are still the conspiratorials who swear they still one day will be. Could be Vandy wins the SEC in 2015...well that one went a little far.
I suspect PackerParkOrange is just waiting to say I told you so. I am no Fulmer hater but by golly I have let the man go. Could be I just held on and brought up how he beat a team nearly 20 years ago. Could be I become the next head coach at the University of Tennessee...Don't think so, I won't be available by then, will have retired. As for the UT-Cincinn. outcome, we will find it out and however it might could be, we will know how it is come end of the game. I'm pulling for the VOLUNTEERS. Could be most others on this site will be as well.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to linebam:

Go Vols!!

Man Oh Man...We've really fallen on hard times when the only thing we can brag on our coach about, is one of his many losses.

volinJC writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

I agree - pulling for the Vols all the way. On the other hand it could be that I could be a miserable old troll soul like PPO with nothing better to do than spew his garbage on Vol sites, but I'm not so I won't.

opvol writes:

Adams loves to talk LSU football...lol

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Dream on

SECProudUT writes:

in response to opvol:

Adams loves to talk LSU football...lol

I bet writing about LSU Football is his dream job, would you burn a mattress if he left? Just curious.

NashvillePreds writes:

Go Vols!
Beat Cincy!
My prediction 37-23 BIG ORANGE

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

I'm not a Fulmer hater, but I am a Dooley supporter and I remember that game in '92. I'm grateful for o'l Phil and I'm grateful that Dooley was able to take a tough situation and handle it with precision and grace.

It ain't CDD's fault - remember that. And also remember how many turned us down before he stepped up to the plate.

Bigger_Al writes:

Weak jokes. Really weak.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

With our talk about our facilities, money and tradition, do you really believe if we'd put really big money in front of Gruden (the way Bama did Saban) we'd be stuck with Dooley...The truth...We were big hat and no cattle and are gonna pay for it.

The_Real_Orange writes:

A lot of talking heads are calling for an upset in Neyland Saturday. I can't see it happening. If the Vols let the Bearcats hang around too long I guess anything is possible, but I still think a middle of the pack SEC team should beat them by 2 TDs. Good luck and next week is finally the real game week!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

While we are either in the stadium, watching on t.v. or listening on the radio to the game, whiny troll Packer...........will be sitting off somewhere looking at photos of Phillip in a scrap book.

This 'us and we' business is pretty funny.........especially since neither is an appropriate identity.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

So, you think FL would win by 2 TDs?

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

im so tickled that johnboy comes on here on a regular basis just to remind us he knows nothing about being a good reporter!!!!!

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

So, you think FL would win by 2 TDs?

Yes I do and until Muschamp and Weis prove they can make my Gators one of the elite teams again, I don't claim they are more than that.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to smoky_moUnTain_sasqUaTch:

Sorry there Smoky...Some of us know how to earn a living without donning a blue vest and saying "Welcome to Walmart" all day. Moreover, some of us don't live in areas where they roll the streets up at 6 pm. As in Packer Park, where I can walk each day to catch a real winner...The Phillies...And take my mind off my alma mater's sorry state under the Dooley-Vols

TKG_VOL writes:

Scroll down to the Summary...first few lines.

agentorange writes:

funny = Even if they lose to the Huskies, this should open the door to recruiting the fertile football grounds of Connecticut, which has put more players in the NFL than Alaska.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

We did target big time coaches with big time money. No one wanted it.

Many people argued about the validity of the coaching hire surrounding Bruce Pearl. Minus the horrendously stupid state of affairs surrounding his downfall, that was a darn good hire.

My point is that there are diamonds in the rough. Our very own ladies basketball coach came from a small school, worked as the team driver, wrapped ankles and even helped wash uniforms. Four decades later, I'd say you could call her a decent hire.

I believe she made $250/month to coach when she was first hired. It doesn't take big money to win big.

Where there's passion and motivation, there's success.

in response to TKG_VOL:

Scroll down to the Summary...first few lines.

Thanks for that, TKG! Good for all of us to remember who made UT football the tradition it is.

allvol32 writes:

in response to smoky_moUnTain_sasqUaTch:

You're right Squatch - this pathetic loser is deserving of sympathy more than the ridicule he seems to be fishing for.

He reminds me of what Jed Clampett used to say about Jethro "That boy just ain't right..."

wally writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

hey packer, pssst. a little secret for you. this team is a heck, heck of a lot better than the losing-record wyoming team that was so bad they fired their coach at the conclusion of the season in which they beat Tennessee...so your statement just doesn't hold any water.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Just the facts...If Dooley loses to Cincy, he's likely looking at 2 losing seasons in 2 years and 4 out of 5 for his career ...Fulmer had 2 in 17 and was canned...Someone answer...When will it be time for him to go?....Or do you just like being SEC laughing stocks?

GoVols1 writes:

Personally, I think that the Vols stand a good chance of losing this game. However, even if they do, I still believe that Dooley has the program headed in the right direction. Remember that this is "Year One" and we are a very young team. I don't think that means that we can't expect to be competitive but we are still probably a year a way from being close to where we want to be. P.S. Fudge_Packer_Park_Orange, do you like being the SEC laughing stock?

OldNumber7 writes:

Mr. Adams columns conveniently make great locker-room motivators for the opposition. If I were Cincinnati coach this headline would be on every players locker. I'd say "here is what they think if you."

These columns from Adams are designed to play upon the most delicate of emotional games - collegiate football. He knows that if he can pump up the opposition, then UT won't recover and LSU will continue to thrive. Make no mistake - he knows what he's doing.

tovolny writes:

Ticking off Vol fans, SEC fans, and all of Ohio.
Now, these are just questions:

What was the PURPOSE of this item?
Is John Adams really doing the GoVolsXtra readers a service or a dis-service.

Something to think about.

OrangeBeer writes:

Cinci's defense is worse than ours, and our offense is better than theirs. Where I come from, that spells a UT victory.

scott_m99 writes:

John...VT plays East Carolina tomorrow, not Ark. St.

kyucat writes:

An answer to John Adams as to why Cincinnati has not played Tennessee or any other SEC team.
cincinnati would love to have a regional rivals in the SEC. However teams like Kentucky, Vandy and for that matter Tennessee have shown little interest in playing Cincy. I no for a fact that Tennessee does not want a return game in Cincinnati. Cincinnati plays games against OOC BCS schools at Paul Brown Stadium. Last year they played Oklahoma there. So if the SEC wants to play Cincy will sign up. So far it has not happened. Cincinnati will bring about 8,000 to the game Saturday.

kyucat writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

Go Vols!
Beat Cincy!
My prediction 37-23 BIG ORANGE

Dream on

BlueHound writes:

in response to kyucat:

Dream on

So the RugRats, err...BearCats, played at home in front of approx. 25k loyal fans last weekend, according to the Cincy newspaper. Why would Tennessee or any other SEC school for that matter, agree to play there? There will be approx. 100k and a national TV audience for the game in Neyland. That is why no SEC teams will play in Cincy. I guess its just a Bengals town, eh?

hglover40#234154 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Please compare the talent Coach Majors left Phil to the talent Phil/Kiffin left for Dooley. It is not logical to compare Coach Dooley's first two years with Coach Fulmer's first two years without comparing what they started with!!
Logic - give it a try.

Please - also compare the credentials and experience of the coaching staff COach Dooley has put together with the staff Coach Fulmer had and refused to upgrade. Coach Fulmer is a LEGEND and I was a big supporter but near the end I could see we needed a change (29-21 his last 4 years - and terrible without Cut).
I am sorry being a Vol fan seems to make you so miserable - maybe you should give it up and find something else to cry about.

rockytopatl writes:

Great line on Paterno! LOL! It's time for him to hang it up when his own players have to worry about killing him on the sidelines.

And those who think a humorous newspaper picks column is bulletin board material are delusional at best, moronic at worst. I'm glad the vast majority of our fans are smarter than this.

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

were you at now go_b_r smootch.its time espn and others give vols there respect.

DannyVol writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

It was bulletin board material and you're still a jackhole who thinks his I.Q. is significantly higher than it really is. Go Vols!

DannyVol writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

Amen! This clown uses his position to undermine the program as much as the position allows. He's been doing it for years!