CBS' Gary Danielson notices 'raw ability' in Tyler Bray

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray passes under pressure from Montana's Caleb McSurdy, left, during the second half of the Vols' victory over the Grizzlies on Sept. 3 at Neyland Stadium. Tennessee won 42-16 in the home opener.

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2011

Tyler Bray on Florida's secondary, Vol's offensive line

Former NFL quarterback turned CBS commentator Gary Danielson couldn't take his eyes off Tyler Bray while watching Tennessee practice a year ago, even before the rifle-armed quarterback ascended to the starting position.

"I knew Matt Simms was going to be the starting quarterback,'' said Danielson, who will be calling his sixth UT-Florida game Saturday (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.). "But my eyes were constantly being drawn over to Tyler and just his raw ability."

Danielson followed up with Vols offensive coordinator Jim Chaney, who proceeded to tell him why Bray wasn't ready to start last season's Florida game.

According to Danielson, Chaney said: "He (Bray) has no idea what he's doing yet. We gotta break him down a little bit, because he's so darn cocky, he thinks he knows it all.''

Danielson, who played quarterback in the NFL for 13 years for the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns, said that's not necessarily a bad thing.

"Part of that stuff of a stallion like Tyler, you don't take it all out of him, and you can still tell he has that wild side to him, and that's good,'' Danielson said on a Tuesday conference call. "He thinks he can fit the ball in anywhere. I have been touting him for a year and a half. He was my breakout/sleeper player of the SEC this year.''

Bray, on the heels of a record-breaking performance against Cincinnati on Saturday, is expected to face his stiffest test against the Gators at The Swamp.

"I think he's going to be a tough one for Florida to handle,'' Danielson said. "You can't tilt the field from one side to the other, they have receivers on both sides. I like their passing game chances.''

Bray, a gaudy 51-of-65 passing for 698 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions this season, eclipsed UT marks previously held by Peyton Manning by throwing for two TDs or more for an eighth consecutive game and completing 82.9 percent (34-of-41) of his passes in the 45-23 win over the Bearcats on Saturday.

Spencer Tillman, a CBS studio analyst who earned All-America honors as a running back at Oklahoma before an eight-year NFL career with the Houston Oilers and San Francisco 49ers, said he believes Bray can handle the Gators, too.

"I think he'll be able to take advantage of an underclass back end (secondary) at Florida,'' Tillman said. "I'm really going to give Tennessee an edge in this contest. Based on the multiple skill set they have at receiver and (Tauren) Poole at running back. They are more balanced and more prepared to come away with a victory than Florida.''

Danielson said both teams enter the contest with much to prove.

"They both have to prove they are worthy of mention as contenders for the SEC,'' he said. "They are clearly not in the upper echelon of teams at the beginning of the season.

"A year ago, all the star players were in blue. This year you can see the difference makers on the field on offense, although Florida has many, so does Tennessee, and it's the first time in my six years (broadcasting this game) I can say it's equal talent on offenses.''

Verne Lundquist, who will call the game beside Danielson, said it's an important game in the budding career of Tennessee second-year coach Derek Dooley.

"(Dooley) is going to become a really significant coach in the SEC; he has got credentials, he worked for Nick Saban's staff, he worked alongside (Florida coach Will) Muschamp, with Kirby Smart as well. I get the idea this (job) is not too big for him.

"This game is, 'OK, you've beaten Montana, you've beaten Cincinnati, you had the heartbreak against LSU, and timing issue and substitution issues last year,' this would be potentially one of the bigger wins of the year were they able to go into The Swamp and win it.''

Danielson said as big of a victory as it would be for Dooley, he believes it could be more important for Muschamp.

"This is a game (Florida) has to win ... to me, it's a must-win for Will Muschamp,'' Danielson said. " If you don't win this game, your October (schedule) could be an oh-fer: Alabama (Oct. 1), at LSU (Oct. 8), at Auburn (Oct. 15), Georgia (Oct. 29). It could get crazy there. Everyone wants to see progress, and when the previous coach has beaten Tennessee six times in a row, you don't want to lose at home.''

Follow Mike Griffith at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dakota10902 writes:

Third!!

VolBlitz writes:

Can hardly wait for Sat.

Go Vols

apostolicman writes:

First again. Can't believe it. I concurr with this article.

rockypop writes:

Speaking of weapons, does anybody know what the status of the Arnett kid from Michigan is? He was touted as a receiver who could make an impact as a freshman.

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

I'm a Dooley skeptic, but after the last two games, I can't help but feel a real sense of optimism surrounding this team.

If Dooley wins in the Swamp, he will have me re-thinking my assumptions. He wins at UGA and I will admit I was wrong about him. He wins at South Carolina and I will be on his bandwagon. He wins in Atlanta and I owe my brother a flat screen t.v.

LONEWOLF-VOL writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

LOL, Best Buy has some good ones...

GO VOLS!!!

LONEWOLF-VOL writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Gainesville is sweatin it big time, even
Muschamp looked nervouse on T.V.

GO VOLS!!!

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Sounds like you're butt-hurt that the press aren't all bowing down to Florida anymore.

roloyo writes:

Note to Danielson: Ray Charles could have seen Bray was a diamond in the rough. What an idiot.

GBO

GoVols1 writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

Hey, it's Cornholio!

VolsToTheWall writes:

voloffaith writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Wiki said 21-19 favor of chompers. That is of 40 game history chompers are ahead by two. Accurate or are you spinning your web of deceit?

Vol43 writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Now that's what the heck I'm talking about. Go VOLS.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

He cant win at Ga this year, they play in Knox

nepperso#220348 writes:

This game will not be close. Most UT fans are scared because of recent history but it is glaringly obvious that UT has too many offensive weapons for Florida to match. Unless the defense totally collapses and gives up 45 points.. we win.

UT - 42
UF - 24

Vol43 writes:

I like that.....DawnCornholio....that's funny

Hey DawnCornholio. Mr, 'T' been tearin' that up? Heeeheee

rootin4volz writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

Goal of the bookie is to get equal money on both sides and easiest way to accomplish that is to get all that uf silly money betting on history.

volpreacher writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

Same way the experts had UT winning by 6 1/2 last Saturday and they won by 22. ummmmm

rootin4volz writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Let's see...you are a piece of "phooey" troll, who can go eat "phooey" on a stick, so that you'll end up being even more full of "phooey" than you already are..."phooey"-head.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

First of all I'm glad the Florida fans feel a need to wring their hands on our site. It's fine that they are here....Even entertaining, as long as they don't cross the line. Because when they do cross the line, we are more than willing to put them on the straight and narrow. There was a comment about the gators teaching us something. They thought speedos were the best uniforms to wear until Spurrier showed up. Now they are the standard bearers for excellence in this league. After 20 years of success, many of them still don't know how to act at the games. Some of them do, and that's fun. But there is still a contingency of gators who are only an hour from the meth lab on game day....I'll take moonshine over that any day....It is so much fun to be back in contention again.....Gators, get those Speedos ironed and ready to go. You will need something to brag about this fall......Go Big Orange....Go Big....Or Go Home.....

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I figure the million plus salary that we gave to a head coach with a losing record and enough time on his hands to double-down as the Athletic Director at a pathetic football school blunts the sting of my low expectations.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Wow... These gator fans spew so much garbage, I'm surprised the EPA hadn't shut this site down.

The fact of the matter: Florida is going to have to hang at least 40 to beat us. Period. Who're they going to double team? Hunter? Rogers? Pick your poison. Can you get to Bray before the play develops? Not with his quick release. Unless Brantley turns into Tom Brady by Saturday, we're going to swamp the Gators.

The streak ends.

LONEWOLF-VOL writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

It's not disrespect, no team owns us for we are
U.T.....Keep recruiting criminals and thugs who disrespect your team and name,when will you guys ever learn?

GO VOLS!!!!

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

He cant win at Ga this year, they play in Knox

Oh...that's right. If they aren't playing between the hedges, then there is no excuse for not beating Richt's mess of a team this year.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

you weren't around prior to 2006.

1965Vol writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

Well ... big whoop to you too. Lil' Urbie couldn't win with his own leftovers. 5* recruiting classes and he comes home at 8-5? Whatta guy. Now you got leftover coaches tryin' to coach lil' Urbie's leftovers. Should be interestin'.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Read between the lines, Danielson played for the Lions and Browns...If his NFL experience means anyhing, he must mean that Bray's backside is going to be raw from constant contact with Florida Field.

VOLSGURLINCHARLOTTE writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Double coverage on Rogers last Saturday and he still scored...we are not worried. Let the aerial assault begin. Bray to Hunter, Rogers, Lane, Poole, heck whoever he wants. GO VOLS!!

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

well thats why we take the field tenn 35-14 vols

orangecountyvols writes:

N O and Vol fans,

These trolls definitely are squirming aren't they?
Look Bodeane, teeny bopper. We already have you on the KNS troll top 10 list. You can relax a bit......no need to work the gums so hard. You've earned your spot with the other losers.

We can tell you're squirming.........it's obvious. Amazing how a bunch like you and your sidekick trolls are so consumed with the Vols. Just proves we own you..........win or lose.

We've seen obsession , but trolls like you take the cake.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

albert,funny you say that.Muschump will not be able to win with Urbies dream team leftovers.If Fla beats Tn and thats a big IF you better enjoy it because it will be over after that.Fla better hope Tn doesnt find a running game between now and sat.If they do the swamp will be drained.Book It

mbain13 writes:

UT:3
UF:2

its gonna be crazy

Joelomite2j writes:

UT - 34
FLA - 28

Young Vol's defense comes up with clutch performance in 4th quarter. And Tennessee stuns the nation in the swamp. BIG things ahead for Tennessee Football.

VolinCalif writes:

Griff It is good to see you doing something on football again. Not that I don't like the new kids but they aren't you. I do follow BBall now that you do it most but I miss our old football days. It's been a long time since we talked about Elway. Yes I'm still around but remember that Methuslah lived some 969 years. looking forward to your articles this year.

wildmed writes:

Why is it that every time I read a post from BodeaneVol it feels like my IQ drops twenty points? That boy is bad for brain cells...

SavTnVol writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Oh my goodness...I bet Tyler, Chaney and the whole receiver corp will be salivating if they see the swamp chucks in man to man..They won't hang 70 on them, cause they'll just do the clock run out, on the ground, after 50

TKG_VOL writes:

Flariduuu does have some very good talent and will be tough to beat in the Swamp but I believe in my Vols and if they can hang on to the ball, (fumbles and Ints) and keep Flariduuu's running game in check it may just happen. Think this is the best chance we have had in several years. Flariduuu was given that game a few years back, I think it was 2006, with that roughing the passer call when we were ahead. It was a very questionable call. And please vol players, don't celebrate your TD's before you cross the goal line. That's a no no this year.

SIMSVOL writes:

Neither side should claim victory just yet...especially the cocky VOLS fans on here predicting a crushing of the gators. not going to happen. this is going to be a very close game that will be won or lost at the line. go VOLS! Let the team do the talking for us. And when the trolls spout off, let them eat post game crow. Even if the VOLS lose a close one to the gators, the VOLS are on the way back and everyone knows it! GO VOLS!!!

TKG_VOL writes:

Looked it up. It was 2006 with that roughing the passer call. When the D lineman raised his arm to try to block a pass his fingertips brushed up against the QB's helmet. Roughing the passer was called which kept the Flariduuu drive alive. The final score was 21-20. We had that one won.

castoff121 writes:

in response to rootin4volz:

I about "phooeyed" my pants when I read this! Now that was funny.

JtDL writes:

This would have been a better article two weeks ago.

Hacksaw57 writes:

AND WHO GIVES A "RATS-*ZZ" ABOUT WHAT GARY DANIELSON THINKS!

NOthgif writes:

Here's the situation. Tennessee is going to be a clear favorite for a few reasons. First, these TN players are cocky and young enough to care less about "the streak". So to them, the series is basically 0-0. Secondly, Tennessee has the advantage on offense. They have the ability to score quickly and often. They will be able to match Florida score for score. Third and final, Tyler Bray, plain and simple. Bray doesn't care who is covering who. He is confident enough not only in his own ability but also the playmakers he has at the receiver position. He knows that if he can put the ball in play his receivers have a better than average chance to make a play on the ball. Sorry to all of you Florida fans who feel like they have to post nonsense on here about how Florida is going to win the game, but there are no relevant facts behind your post that shows how Florida is the better team. I'm the one being objective here because I'm neither and Tennessee nor a Florida fan. I'm a Fight ON kind of guy. However, I know when to call an ace an ace. This game belongs to Tennessee hands down.

TN- 24
Fl-17 (late scores)

keepitreal4vols writes:

8.5 is the over/under on Verne Lundquist doing the creepy grandpa laugh.
4.5 is the over/under he gets confused on a penalty rulling.

DalTexVol writes:

Silence of the Trolls coming to a message board near you this weekend! Tyler Bray stars as himself eating a Gator liver with fava beans and a nice chianti.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Welcome, our jorts wearing visitors from the state that gave us the hanging chad, Ted Bundy, and Casey Anthony.

ChrisUTvol writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

knucklehead

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

If your gonna go back 35 years with the numbers, you just as well go back 100. The all time record is what, Fla by 2 games?

Funny how you can make numbers work. As if a game played 30 years ago makes any more difference than one played 50 or 100 years back.

I give Fl lots of respect for winning the last 6. But, I remember UT winning 9 in row over Ga. a few years ago. I was at Neyland when Ga ended that streak with the "hobnailed boot" play. Next thing we knew, Ga. had won 4 in a row.

Things change. And change isa comming Gators...

martinvol34 writes:

in response to apostolicman:

First again. Can't believe it. I concurr with this article.

I have become so tainted that I didn't realize that Florida had ruled us for 6 years. Even in their down years, we didn't beat them. We will rock this weekend. I'm so excited. Show up and kick butt VOLS.