Georgia State, Akron, Troy to play Vols in 2012

Assuming there aren’t sweeping changes to the conference portion of its schedule, Tennessee appears to have a full slate put together outside of the SEC for next season.

The possible, perhaps likely, addition of Texas A&M to the league could force some programs to go back to the drawing board, but it seems for now that the 2012 schedule is complete for the Vols.

UT officials confirmed a report by The Atlanta Journal Constitution on Tuesday that Georgia State had reached an agreement for $500,000 to play at Neyland Stadium on Sept. 8, and both Akron and Troy list dates with the Vols on their school websites for what would be Derek Dooley’s third season with the team.

After opening the year against North Carolina State in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff in Atlanta, the Vols would play Georgia State the next week and wrap up play outside the league against the Zips (Sept. 22) and Trojans (Nov. 3) unless the looming likelihood of Texas A&M joining the conference forces changes to the schedule.

As it stands currently, Mississippi State would replace LSU in the SEC West rotation for the Vols, joining Arkansas and annual rival Alabama from the other division. SEC East foes South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and Vanderbilt would complete the regular-season lineup — unless the Aggies scrap all those existing plans.

“In the 78-year history of the SEC, the conference had accepted the membership applications of only two institutions — Arkansas and South Carolina,” commissioner Mike Slive said during a speech Monday night in Birmingham, Ala. “Texas A&M is now the third.

“We remain optimistic that Texas A&M will be a member of the SEC and have started to look at schedules for 2012-13 involving 13 teams.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FatherVol writes:

Power schedule...not.

scvols writes:

At one time I would be against playing these light weights, but with the SEC loaded week in and week out(even Vandy is recruiting better), we need some games were the backups can play.

jbw2 writes:

Oh, boy, another cruddy non-conference schedule.

NashvillePreds writes:

More power to the schedule makers.
We're already playing NC State.
I believe the strength of the SEC schedule warrants some "gimme" games.

jbw2 writes:

oops, forgot about NoCarSt. Not so cruddy, afterall.

voloffaith writes:

Troy usually decent. Akron is known as the Zips and that is what happened to them recently. Remember Jerry Faust from Notre Dame coaching there. Ga. State is Bill Curry's squad with program 2 years old. So the schedule has it's puffy moments for sure.

Upgrayedd writes:

The Gators are proud that we're finally scheduling down to their standards.

TheStupidPolice writes:

I'm not a fan of BCS schools playing FCS schools. I live in Nebraska and you should have heard how fired up they were about crushing UTC. All I could think was Carson-Newman blasted UTC just a couple years ago. BCS schools should stick within FBS.

EHSvols23 writes:

Before everyone jumps off the deep end on this schedule issue, I ask everyone to look back to the end of the Fulmer era. All we said then was we need to schedule better non con teams, we are tired of play powderpuffs. Then the SEC blew up and we were stuck playing the SEC schedule and the strong non con teams. I think its great that we schedule soft, get off to a good start. In today's SEC, all you need to do is do well in the conference and you are off to a great season, it doesn't matter who we play in the non conference.

And correct me if I am wrong, but don't we play Oklahoma in 2014/15, so we will get our fill then.

RockyTopinAlabubba writes:

Their is nothing wrong with playing a couple of easy games. Being that the rest of our schedule is so tough. Alabama,Arkansas,Miss State,Florida,Georgia,S. Carolina,.Kentucky,vandy,and NC State. That is a tough schedule.

ZacharyUTK writes:

Another Ohio State schedule!!! :)

Slystone writes:

More pay-per-view games...dayum!

voloffaith writes:

in response to EHSvols23:

Nebraska in there as well right?

CFVolunteer writes:

Did Hamilton put this together?

formerflgranny writes:

Those 3 teams should insure a ticket sellout next year.

tdvol1989 writes:

This is lame. I don't care how tough the SEC Schedule is. It is just flat COWARDLY to only have cupcakes. Don't forget that good Out of Conference matchups can produce ADDITIONAL TV Exposure.

We should ALWAYS have at least 1 marquee matchup out of conference each year. Who cares about the scheduled off week mid-season and a pre-season patsy? But, we should have 1 game against a PAC 12/14/16k BYU, Boise, Notre Dame, Big East, etc. school.

Col_Cathcart writes:

That's what the neutral site game against NCState is for...

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

The upside...Dooley should get 3 cupcake wins (the kind he and Hamilto knew they needed to get Derek 6 wins)...The downside...Vandy will be better under Franklin calling the Dooley/Hamilton Model into question...The upside...Dooley won't have to contend with top flight teams like Cal., Miami, and Notre Dame (as they were when Phillip played them)...The downside...Outside of the SEC schools, we won't have faced anyone as good as the team we play in the Weedeater Bowl....The upside...We can all have our choice of seats in Neyland.

Hide and watch...With the addition of Texas A&M, the Dooley chickening out of Oregon has already begun.

Chartervol writes:

Let me check the list here. Vol fans want:

-- Nothing but marquee names on the non-conference schedule.

-- To win all those non-conference games.

-- To win the SEC.

-- To win the national championship.

-- With a Tennessee alum at the helm.

-- All the above at $10 a ticket, with 50-cent hotdogs.

-- And no distractions from the jumbotron.

-- With kickoff only at 1 p.m.

-- And no donation required.

Just keeping the list current.

VolsToTheWall writes:

good out of conference games- another reason for playoffs

Why schedule a even semi-tough out of conference oppenent in the BCS system? It has no upside. only turrible downside if you lose. But, if there was a playoff, RPI would matter just like in college basketball and we'd have some awesome non-conference games, just like in basketball.

VolsToTheWall writes:

in response to Chartervol:

Let me check the list here. Vol fans want:

-- Nothing but marquee names on the non-conference schedule.

-- To win all those non-conference games.

-- To win the SEC.

-- To win the national championship.

-- With a Tennessee alum at the helm.

-- All the above at $10 a ticket, with 50-cent hotdogs.

-- And no distractions from the jumbotron.

-- With kickoff only at 1 p.m.

-- And no donation required.

Just keeping the list current.

you don't know what your talking about.

I want a complimentary seat cushion too

clvolfan writes:

in response to FatherVol:

Power schedule...not.

Show me "ONE" school anywhere that doesn't have 3 cupcakes on their schedule just about every year.Ohio St. wins their state championship every year,but is still rated very highly preseason..Go figure!

jsmithnga#207674 writes:

Maybe they should change this to go vols gripe board; if we lose to good teams it is gripe or fire the coach; if we schedule weaker teams it is gripe, gripe, gripe; heck some even gripe about all the trolls and then respond to them.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Chartervol:

Let me check the list here. Vol fans want:

-- Nothing but marquee names on the non-conference schedule.

-- To win all those non-conference games.

-- To win the SEC.

-- To win the national championship.

-- With a Tennessee alum at the helm.

-- All the above at $10 a ticket, with 50-cent hotdogs.

-- And no distractions from the jumbotron.

-- With kickoff only at 1 p.m.

-- And no donation required.

Just keeping the list current.

You missed one...Free parking in a dedicated lot right next to Glocker and a KPD motorcycle escort out after the game

volbike writes:

I feel better about dropping my season tickets this year all the time.
Ga State just started playing football.
A season ticket holder is lucky to get 3 decent games out of a 7-8 home game schedule and gets to pay a premium for that.
The concession stand and facilities for my 50 inch screen are much nearer, cheaper and no lines. I also get covered parking!!
I don't think these schools could even beat the Lousiana directional school and won't generate as much interest.

WE NEED A 9 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE!!!

LaneBrains writes:

Wow! Three of the worst teams in the NCAA. Look at how things have fallen apart since Hammy was booted!

So sorry Vols fans...

CLK, Monte and Ed

NCVOL09 writes:

The schedule is what it is, in addition to these we get FL, Bama, and Arkansas along with Kentucky at home in the SEC.

516milesfromUT writes:

The one thing i see here is a bunch of winey betches complaining about the schedule. Those teams want to play teams like UT, Nebraska Florida, etc. For three reasons
1. Money( only way these smaller tems can afford stuff thanks to BCS)
2.Exposure to thier University (good or bad)
3.It makes the games fun to play for the players on those teams.(Who wouldnt want to play in Neyland Stadium????)
I know Ive been on the field during the spring game & looking up seeing all the Big orange fans, I can daydream all day about getting tackled for a loss, or getting the snot knocked out of me there. Think about that!
I am not offended with the schedule
-T-

CoverOrange writes:

Auburn. 2004. The Citadel.

I don't mind playing any of those teams but all in one year is ridiculous. Tennessee has to recruit nationwide. Three of those games will likely be PPV. NC St is not going to be a big TV draw. We're shooting ourselves in the foot.

dvols writes:

when does TN go back to Oregon??

Pullingguard writes:

You know, had Fulmer had this many breathers he probably would still be coach.. That probably would not be the best, but based on records he could have been... I don't believe in playing all these patsies for it takes away from the fan base and could affect attendance.

volinc writes:

in response to dvols:

when does TN go back to Oregon??

we had a home and home series with Oregon. I thought we played in Eugene next year, but 2013 maybe?

423tiger18 writes:

When are we gonna get a concrete schedule for next year?? looks like there are still several question marks....I have to schedule my vacation a year in advance...like right now for next year. It would be nice to know for sure what the schedule will be.

TDTN writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Nebraska in there as well right?

We pick up Ohio State in about 7 years or so.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Yet another PATHETIC non-conference schedule. Three home games I will have to pay for in the season ticket package, but will not attend. At least there will only be seven home games, not eight.

NC State, Florida, Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky, and maybe Vanderbilt is my Tennessee schedule for 2012. I'll fill in the gaps by going to Georgia Tech to see some ACC football.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to 423tiger18:

Absolutely correct. For many years, since at least 1970, until very recently, the following year's schedule was always announced prior to the kickoff for the current season. Changes were very rare. I don't know what is delaying things now, but there is no excuse for it.

OrangeDew writes:

in response to Slystone:

More pay-per-view games...dayum!

No matter the schedule, there is only one PPV per season.

crutch1966 writes:

wonder what kind of crazy uniform the VOL'S will wear?

Vol_a_tile writes:

Hey, a win is a win. Winning = fan support ! If you season ticket holders and fair weather fans stay home, it means more room for the Vols that appreciate a winning program. I could care less that we play Ga. St, as long as we contend for the SEC. Is that so hard to understand ? I need a hug.

Orangeblood13 writes:

Looks like Florida 's schedule yearly
Right bodeane?

kdaff51 writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

More power to the schedule makers.
We're already playing NC State.
I believe the strength of the SEC schedule warrants some "gimme" games.

We have to be careful...remember that Appy State v Michigan was a "gimme game".

McMinnVol writes:

in response to dvols:

when does TN go back to Oregon??

We are scheduled to play at Oregon in 2013. The previous post about 2014 is not correct.

GO VOLS!

VolzsFan writes:

What is the big deal? They are simply getting this schedule back to the low level they played under Neyland. Gone are the days of playing a power schedule AND winning an average of 9.5 wins per year with an 11 game schedule. They are determined to schedule themselves 8 wins if it kills them. This schedule makes this horrific schedule of this year look tough.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

Don't live there anymore. I was freed two years ago to return to East TN after serving a 21 year 11 month 3 day sentence.

lemich writes:

i don't mind 2 patsies, but three is not acceptable. I may seriously think about not renewing my tickets next year> I have had them for 30 years!

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to volbike:

I feel better about dropping my season tickets this year all the time.
Ga State just started playing football.

WE NEED A 9 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE!!!

Agree! Agree! Sodexo doesn't charge you $5 for a Coke from your refrigerator. Plus there's probably never anybody standing in your living room blocking your view of the 50 inch HDTV -- of if there is, you can ask them to move without getting cursed out.

Just watch the SEC coaches lobby for a six game conference schedule when they add a 14th SEC team. Instead,

WE NEED A NINE GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE! !

Hickmc writes:

in response to Slystone:

More pay-per-view games...dayum!

Actually, not sure if anyone else has responded but all SEC schools can only have 1 pay-per-view game. The rest are all televised per the contract with CBS and ESPN.

Thanks!!

brod writes:

what a shi**y schedule. should have left the heels on there. need to reclaim north carolina as OUR recruiting ground. OUR recruiting ground.

westknoxrepub writes:

Troy isn't a complete cupcake, they have consistant winning seasons and are in a bowl game more often than not, it's better than Memphis or MTSU. Georgia State is the weakest, and I hate playing FCS teams, but odds are if we get two more SEC teams that one will be dropped. Then you've got Akron, which is what it is, they are pretty inconsistant year in and year out in terms of their record, and NC State is a BCS opponent, so no complaints there. Keep in mind we also have a return trip to Oregon, plus Ohio State and Oklahoma coming up on the schedule.

ShannonUtz-Baxter writes:

in response to 516milesfromUT:

1. Money( only way these smaller tems can afford stuff thanks to BCS)
2.Exposure to thier University (good or bad)
I am not offended with the schedule
-T-

You are so true...I live in Chattanooga they play Nebraska and Alabama for what they make the trip and get paid win or Lose but they gain experience.these schools have to make Money too..Some of the biggest names in College Football play non conference "cup cakes" I don't see Alabama fans complaining about their easy non conference games....