Prentiss Waggner and Curt Maggitt wearing red, but are both 'doing fine'

Game preview: Tennessee vs. Florida

With Saturday's game at Florida looming nearer and nearer, Tennessee (2-0) put on the pads Wednesday, but exercised caution with two of its top defensive starters.

For a second consecutive day, cornerback Prentiss Waggner was in a red, non-contact jersey because of a banged-up shoulder. Freshman linebacker Curt Maggitt was also in red because of an unspecified injury, but neither player's status is in doubt for the Vols' SEC opener against the Gators (2-0), coach Derek Dooley said.

"They're doing fine," Dooley said. "Just precautionary, get a little sore, get a little banged up, just want to make sure everybody is aware of them when they're around. That's really why we do that."

Dooley and offensive line coach Harry Hiestand were both optimistic about left tackle Dallas Thomas and his recovery from a sprained right knee. Dooley has repeatedly said that Thomas will play Saturday (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.), and Thomas, himself, said it would take much more than a mild sprain to keep him out.Dooley was less hopeful about defensive end Ben Martin, who sprained his ankle last week against Cincinnati.

"Ben's still struggling," Dooley said. "I don't know how much we're going to get out of him."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tree_em_smokey writes:

Some good news concerning the U of F! http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorb...

thevoice writes:

Great, but just remember to take off the red jerseys before the game.

givehim6 writes:

I know big Ben Martin has tried to fight the injury bug his time at UT but it keeps comeing back. Good luck guys get well.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

I hope everyone turns out okay. Ben Martin has been hurt on and off again for a long time. Herman Lathers needs to get back in there soon. That is why we have to keep rooting these youngsters on. Get well soon Maggit, we are going to need some senior play out of our freshman again. At least we can score some points to keep all of our freshman motivated this year. GBO!

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Some good news concerning the U of F! http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorb...

GET YOUR NASTY FEET OFF MY TABLE!
Thats funny. I hope Maggitt heals up fast. Thanks for article Smokey.

NOthgif writes:

Tennessee will be able to shut down Brantley with or without a healthy defense. Tell ya what....In order to make this weekend's game more fair, why doesn't Tennessee play Rugby style, no pads and give Florida a fighting chance...Come on...Will you do that for the Gatards? Ponder that thought. Fight ON!

voloffaith writes:

I must temper my enthusiasim while reading our pump fisting postings about saturday's game. I want to win like all y'all Vol fans. If we can protect Bray and get 100 plus rushing to keep them honest we have a shot. Our defense is decent at best with depth issues. This will probably resemble a track meet if we can do what I said in my 3rd sentence. If not I believe we lose by 2 touchdowns. My heart says Vols and the head is still leaning to the chompers. Go VOLS prove my heart right!

voloffaith writes:

I meant to say...ON TOPIC get healthy young men as the big stage ay Bin Hill stadium awaits you.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Man, I feel bad for Ben Martin! I hope he heals quickly! He deserves better for his senior season!
gzus, I'm with you! My heart says they win, but my head says they haven't faced top notch SEC players on the road since Bray has been the starter! Call me old school, I don't trust that it can be done until I SEE it done! Hope to be partying Saturday night! GBO!

voloffaith writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

I'm Irmese(Irmo) and what part of South Carolina do you reside in? Together we say GO BIG ORANGE!!!

The_Real_Orange writes:

An honest question from a Gator fan. How have the freshman LBs played against the 2 previous opponents? I saw a highlight of a lb making a stupid hit without wrapping up against UC but I think he may have been a sr. I still think its gonna be a close contest.

iadvol writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Some good news concerning the U of F! http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorb...

I would've B slapped that lizard coach if he put his funky shoes on my coffee table..Get em Mr. M! Vols 35-17. GBO!

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Click on the link on the first post. Your coach is rude and is running top notch players off to lowly Tennessee. Say good-bye to the glory days chump! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

MtJ_Orange writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I did not know the Gaturds named their stadium after Benny Hill. I used to watch that show with my dad years ago.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

They might rush for over 200 Saturday but Bray is going to pass for 350!!! : ) Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to NOthgif:

Right!...and these guys might not be wearing red after this one...They might just have a permanent "skin wardrobe" of black and blue after Weis gets through with the mid-major Wilcox's boys....The Cincinnati Cubcats laid a bundle on this bunch...And you think we're going to waltz into the Swamp and stop the Gators?...Please go back to your fairy tales!

voloffaith writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Attention!! M_C_M_P that average running back lit up Oklahoma and another big bcs school last year. He was also in a preseason futbol publication's top ten or twenty rb's entering the season. So for a factual presenation get the facts or maybe,by your standards, Emmitt Smith would be just an average back also in his day.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Hey css, what's up? Seen your lover Mr. 'T' lately?

calebvolfan writes:

im glad we are pretty healthy going into this game. i was on espn conversation board and a florida fan said jeff demps is in a shoulder sling and jordan reed was in a wheelchair. think this is the link he posted. http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/...

Vol43 writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

He won't even talk UT football. Guess he's busy at the moment.....lol!

3 days and counting.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

gators wanna run the ball, control the clock, minimize UT's possessions and only pass off play action.

Tennesse is just gonna fling it around.

Man, how times change.

Vols17 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

The "mid-major" D of Tennessee is going to give Brantley a pounding.......UT has two interceptions! GO VOLS!!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

everyone should keep their expectations down simply because there is a reason FL. is ranked 16th and a 9 point favorite. Don't get up just to have a tremendous letdown in the event of a loss. And no, naval, I am not a troll!