5 Big Things for UT to beat Florida

Game preview: Tennessee vs. Florida

Know your Vols: Media Day smacktalk

Tennessee vs. Florida week - 2011

1. Play To Win: Last time the Vols were in The Swamp it appeared Lane Kiffin was at times playing to keep the score respectable. To that extent a 23-13 loss was mission accomplished. Tennessee isn't completely back up to speed yet but it's close enough to go all out to win.

2. It's Not Memphis: Nor Nashville nor the friendly confines of Neyland Stadium. Sophomore quarterback Tyler Bray is 6-1 in starts but this is his first outside the state border. And The Swamp is way, way outside the border. On a lot of levels.

3. Mr. Charlie: Asked how many formations and plays and routes you have to prepare for in facing Florida's new resident offensive mastermind Charlie Weis, UT defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox said "about 10,000.'' He was exaggerating but making a point. It will be a chore just to get lined up right but the Vols can't afford not to. Busted assignments will be brutal.

4. Hidden Yardage: The punt game has proved decisive in a variety of ways in the UT-Florida series, several of them not to Tennessee's advantage. Everyone is waiting to see if Bearden High School's own Devrin Young makes his debut returning punts. But also keep in mind Matt Darr's limited and thus far sketchy punting in his two-game career.

5. Detente: The rivalry has produced its share of coaching friction over the years — Spurrier-Fulmer and, ever so briefly, Meyer-Kiffin. Derek Dooley and Will Muschamp are best buds on the branches of the Nick Saban family tree. So don't expect any sarcastic wisecracks or icy stares. However,that doesn't mean they don't want to beat each other's butts.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MemphoVol writes:

#6 - Defensive Line. Said it on another post, but will say it again. Best defensive line wins this game. Pressure on the QB and stopping the run. Don't like saying it, but Florida has the better defensive line (Floyd back after 2 game suspension)and our offensive line is suspect.

UTengr36 writes:

So tired of hearing talk, I am ready to watch some Tennessee football! I have 4 hours of work left today and I have zero focus thanks to this game. Let's beat these freakin' Gators already.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Saw the headline and just automatically assumed it was an article about Chuck ‘wagon’ Weis…

springtx_vol writes:

in response to MemphoVol:

Why are folks ready to hand UF's DL all star credentials? They haven't proven anything on the field. Our DL has an All SEC player in Jackson, A JUCO AA in Couch (who apparently has been a monster in practice), beef in the middle with Couch and Hood, speed on the outside with Smith and Maggitt (yes, he is listed at LB, but plays a similar position to UF's Powell).

As I see it, UT's players are just as highly recruited as UF's, Florida's just seem to be a year older across the board.

As to saying that our OL is suspect is only partially true. I believe that are a very good pass blocking line. They have struggled in run blocking, but I believe it will take lots of blitzes for UF to put consistent pressure on Bray. Our 5 can block their 4 pretty well on passing plays. We certainly need more effort in rushing the ball.

stratocaster54 writes:

MTCW...

Score more points than they do!

heyitsme writes:

I see the glass half "full"... What are the 5 big things for Florida to beat UT...???

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Damn right and enough said. Agree 100%

VolGrad writes:

Me thinks the heading doesn't really fit the focus of the 5 points. Or, maybe the writer just lost his way with the points. In any event, only the first point even attempts to tell us what Tennessee must do in order to beat Florida. The rest sort'a dance around some things without making any clear statements.

I know: everybody's a critic.

Go Vols!!!

VolunteerLifer writes:

I would love nothing more than a Volunteer win this season against the hated gators. But I will be satisfied if we are just competitive, something we haven't been in a decade and a half with fla. They are young and ascending, so are we. Hopefully, our program will keep pace with them enough to win half the games over the next decade. Given the natural advantages that florida has - recruiting, superstar coaches, etc - That will keep me satisfied. This year we have a rare realistic chance to beat them in gainesville. I hope we can pull it off this year, but I am mostly interested in a future in which they cannot beat us in Knoxville.

1965Vol writes:

If I were so inclined, I might give Charlie Weis credit for what he has accomplished. But the question isn't "What can Weis throw at us." The question is "How much offense can Weis teach these boys in spring and fall camp?" We're not dealing with brain scientists and rocket surgeons here. We're dealing with college football players.

Weis can't just open up their heads and poor the knowledge in. Watch the penalties, blown plays, and just plain dumbhead mistakes. At this stage of his career in G'town, Weis might be better off using Urbie Myah's style of coaching .... toss the ball on the field and hope that his guys have enough raw talent to pull it off. I think not.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

You're satisfied with keeping it competative? OK Lame, GO BACK TO USC WEST! We don't want nor need you here anymore! I personally hope we beat up the gaytards to where MAMA CALLS ME PRECIOUS and JETHRO have to give the mommas b4 and after pictures. GO BIG ORANGE!!! GIVE HIM 66!

Tenn_Traveler writes:

in response to UTengr36:

Can't agree more. Will this afternoon ever end???

If we stay within ourselves, remain focused when breaks go against and take advantage of the positive breaks we WIN!!!!!!

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Jeez man--I think you overreacted a bit to that post. He was not saying anything negative.

mkat33 writes:

#1. Score more points than they do.

(I'm just sayin'.)

WoodshedVol writes:

The Vol defense wins this game. Punch'em hard.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to WoodshedVol:

The Vol defense wins this game. Punch'em hard.

Good to hear that someone feels this way..Have read A LOT of comments, and I don't recall a single poster having this much confidence in the D..Don't think they will dominate but have a feeling myself that they will MAKE SOME KEY STOPS.

Smokey says let's get a defensive TD or two..

MemphoVol writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

gainesville, no one wants you to be right more than me! I hope that I have totally underestimated our line play on both sides of the ball! Nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong!

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

Excellent post. Maybe we should keep in mind the coaching perspective, also. Both teams have only shown a couple of playbook pages.....both offensively and defensively.....but my money's on Dooley's staff over Muschamp's. Bray's large passing #'s can simplify using the passing game to set up the run game.....different blocking schemes and hot calls to countermand blitzes and a stacked DL. Florida may not be able to create quite as many problems for Wilcox. Their DL will have to be monstrous to win out here. Maybe they will and maybe they won't. A big plus for CDD. GBO!

heisthelord367 writes:

vols fans, if you go to the game and we win, take a picture VERY QUICKLY of the scoreboard bec Fl gators are cry baby losers and turn the score off as soon as the last second of game is over...so snap that pic quick! I was there in 03 when we beat them..and the scoreboard was turned off when the coaches met in the middle of the field...

thatsthetruthtruth writes:

Let's go out and play our tails off this weekend and let the chips fall where they may. Focus on the process and take it to the Gators for one quarter, one half, three quarters, and a full game... win every battle and don't let up until the place is as empty as when i used to spank the gators on NCAA'06! All I wanna hear is crickets chirping and rocky top til Monday Morning! Enjoy the weekend vol fans! TRUTH!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to MemphoVol:

Respectfully disagree. Man for man their d-line might have an edge, but their o-line has 1 returning starter if I'm not mistaking. Our o-line is better than theirs which evens the d-line situation out a bit IMO. Our d-line's no slouch. Malik Jackson wasn't 100% in week one. He was further along last week, and you saw him creating havoc. He will reign terror upon Brantley, you wait and see. This is a very evenly matched game IMO. Our weeknesses are their strenghts, and their weaknesses (secondary/QB) are our strenghts. This should be a brawl coming down to the wire.

UT-24
UF-21

NeylandWest writes:

If we win, I hope our fans rush their field and tear down their goal posts.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Like it or not, many coaches on many levels refer to his maxims. Like other great coaches, his influence on the sport was amazing. If you can't respect that, then there isn't much you can understand about the history of college football.

torchbearer writes:

This is "why" they hired and retained Wilcox. Offense will be fine, but Wilcox? Let's see you earn your 900k. You better bring it. Supposedly you were a genius at taking mediocre players and scheming to beat superior talent teams.

AllVol311 writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Whoa, never have I read anything on these boards that completely took me aback. You clearly need a football history lesson. Also a lesson on how to NOT talk out of your @$$!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

This is a perfect example as to why it is impossible to have a reasonable football discussion with some of you...What if we disrespected some of UF's traditions?? How would you like that??

tonyvick#213307 writes:

in response to MemphoVol:

I beg your parton but whoever scores the most points will win this game.

1965Vol writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Humph, UF traditions? Except for Spurrier 30 years ago and Timbow 5 years ago, they ain't got none.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Here's a prediction...Tomorrow night this site will be comprised of, along with myself, Mama_Calls_Me_Precious, BodeaneVol, SEC1, VOlzfan and MrDonCorleone...We're going to miss you.

P.S You guys don't know athing more about writing styles than you do football...Or you would know that MrDonCorleone is none other than your long time favorite person to hate and one of the few objective voices on this board.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

We've lost 6 straight to them. And before that, Spurrier had Fulmer's number, beating him even on occasion when we had superior talent to fla. He often beat fulmer by blowout wins. We have had some wins, and kept and kept a few more close, but the record clearly show that Fla has dominated us most of the time for fifteen years. You can look it up.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Bray can slow down that pass rush by using his check downs and letting Poole, Neal and Lane make plays in space! A short pass is as good as a running game! Take what the D gives and don't force it! GBO! Start your own streak!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

You think the odds are that we can dominate florida? They have a recruiting back yard that will make sure that doesn't happen. And they have the money to buy a coaching staff to make sure that doesn't happen. Realistically, we will do very well to hold court on our field every other year. And that would be a hell of an improvement over the past fifteen years in this series. All I'm saying is that I would be happy with that. Of course, I'd rather go on a six year win streak against them, but the odds of that happening are just too slim.

hikerdude writes:

I'm thinking we win the first three quarters, but I'm really worried about the 4th. FL is deep, deep and our DL is young and small and there aren't as many talented players on our DL. I'm afraid our DL is going to be too tired in the final quarter to stop Dempsey. Hope I'm wrong.

agentorange writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

right on

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

Funny how you avoided the topic of their revamped o-line and shotty QB play. Don't think that's gonna be a factor? Think again.

VOLliven2it writes:

Here's five things about tomorrow's game, my fingers as I wave good-bye to a lot of silly chatter on here. See you all after the game win or lose. GO VOLS!

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

His mama called me SIR...

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Smokey says let's get a defensive TD or two..

It may be just a matter of emphasis, but most of the discussion about that side of the game has focused, rightly or wrongly, more on doubts about how smooth and cohesive the Gators are on offense than on whether the Vols have the strength on defense to stop them. I just hope the combination of those factors is enough to prevent the Gators from outscoring the Vols, because I think the Vols WILL score a respectable number of points. A defensive/ST TD or two wouldn't hurt, of course, especially if the Vols don't give up any such.

in response to NeylandWest:

If we win, I hope our fans rush their field and tear down their goal posts.

I hope you are kidding. That would be a disaster. Not only would our fans look like idiots, some of them might get killed and the program would DEFINITELY catch some flak from the SEC commish and the NCAA. Maybe it's just me, but a victory on the scoreboard would be quite satisfying enough; no need to try to win an unnecessary fight--ON THE ROAD--as well.

volfan7 writes:

As much a fan as I am of the Vols, we must realize that the odds are stacked against us. We are playing in the Swamp, their defense is much better than ours, and our quarterback has little experience. I will be pleased with a one point victory. Please do not hate me.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

This will prbably be the last UT FL game my sister will be able to watch. She is a 3X UT graduate who marched proudly in the Pride of The Southland Band from 73 to 78. She was released from the hospital today and sent home with Hospice Care. She has been fighting cancer for almost 12 years now. Three times with breast and once with this one she now has. They seem to think it’s only a matter of days now.

I hope that the football team can make her weekend a happy one by finally beating the gators. She has been a season ticket holder since the 70s.

Please lift her up to a glorious welcome from our Lord.

God has been known to work in the 11th hour and 59th minute before.

Please keep those prayers coming.

In Christ,

Vol_N_Texas

in response to volfan7:

I think every Vol fan in the world would be happy with a one-point win. It is easy to presume that UF's defense is better than ours, but it is not yet proven. In any case, I don't think the Vol defense needs to be as good as UF's to compete effectively against their offense. I think UF MUST hold the Vols' offense down if they are to win; UT doesn't necessarily need to shut down UF's to win. Also, UF's QB may be more experienced than ours but I don't anyone can say that he is that much better because of it. Statistically, Bray is far superior, just not over as many games.

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Please lift her up to a glorious welcome from our Lord.

God has been known to work in the 11th hour and 59th minute before.

Please keep those prayers coming.

In Christ,

Vol_N_Texas

She's got them, Vol_N_Texas! Thanks for reminding us that there are more important things in the world than ball-playing teenagers. All blessings to you and yours!

GerryOP writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Please lift her up to a glorious welcome from our Lord.

God has been known to work in the 11th hour and 59th minute before.

Please keep those prayers coming.

In Christ,

Vol_N_Texas

My prayers are sent. God bless and be well. With Gods love, Gerry

CrankE writes:

"...it appeared Lane Kiffin was at times playing to keep the score respectable."

I see the Florida trolls are on the KNS payroll still trying to explain 2009. Allow me.

I detest Quieffen as much as the next guy. But against UF, he played to the strengths that he had, not the ones he imagined that he had. Thus, Florida was enraged because Tennessee refused to play like Tennessee had typically played in this series-taking wild risks and failing.

Kiffen had scorn and disrespect for everybody. But especially Florida. He goaded them, mocked them, and practically begged them to run up the score-worse than Richt's first TD celebration in 2007. And despite months of buildup, all Florida could manage was . . . . . . . . . . . .23 points. That and post-game apologies about the swine flu (can't spell flu without UF), and whining that it was UT who wasn't trying hard enough and THAT'S why they scored so few points. Riiiiiiiight.

Kiffin did three things right at UT. 1) His approach to show utter contempt for Florida. 2) The resurrection of Crompton's confidence. 3) His departure after only one year.

GerryOP writes:

Well Vols and trolls, here I am ... in freakin' Gainesville! What in the hell was I thinking? What in the hell am I doing here? I have never ever been in a hotel where they charge for I-net access at a rate of $10 per connection, 10 cents a minute, and 5 cents per 100 characters sent/received. Amazing! I know a travel agent that is gonna lose a job!

And on top of all of this, lil' ZZGataBoy is sitting in Sec 323 tomorrow ... the sun-baked nose bleed section ... the cheap seats!

I'm outta here. From what I've seen of the natives here ... well ... indescribable. I wonder if Chris Fowler knows about this place?

Go Vols! I'm showing the Orange. Don't forget -- 43-24 Vols. You heard it here first!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to 1965Vol:

I seriously don't know of a single UF tradition, whether it be a Gator walk or whatever..Not saying that to be a smart@ss but I have no clue about their "tradition".

Smokey says we have the best traditions in college football, but then again he is biased..BOL!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to CrankE:

and 4.) he recruited Tyler Bray.

Smokey says can't forget that one..

1965Vol writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

I'll bet you're a real cute smart@ss! Go Vols!

Share your thoughts