Vols, Buffalo get 12:30 kickoff

Vols, Buffalo get 12:30 kickoff

The full schedule is yet to be announced with CBS using its six-game window to nail down details for its looming doubleheader.

But Tennessee's non-conference date with Buffalo apparently isn't quite appealing enough to warrant a national television audience, leaving it out of the three games under consideration for the marquee broadcasts and announcing a kickoff for the Oct. 1 game at 12:30 p.m.

The game will be broadcast by CSS.

UT is off this week after dropping a 33-23 decision at No. 15 Florida on Saturday, a game that did have the program in the national spotlight as it opened conference play on the road.

CBS will choose between Auburn at South Carolina, Alabama at Florida and Texas A&M against Arkansas for the games that would be played at 3:30 and 8 p.m.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

DooleyWagon22 writes:

Good deal. Except CSS has horrible graphics. But atleast it's not Pay-Per-View. This off week couldn't have come at a better time. We need a week to regroup and improve. If we don't run well against Buffalo; the running game is hopeless.

Volunatic writes:

Looking forward to being there.
Glad the game will be played in the early afternoon. I'm not a fan of having too many night games.
This game should give the coaches a chance to look at some players that haven't gotten much meaningful playing time, and will help the Vols figure out a lot of personnel issues on offense.
GO VOLS!!!

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to CantCompare:

I suppose Derek Dooley is personally responsible for his top playmaker shredding his ACL?
Dooley was definitely going to get a shot a big time program. His chance may have come a bit earlier than expected, but his success/failure as a coach is far from being determined.
Keep in mind that Saban was something like 23-22 when LSU initially hired him.
Furthermore, it is nice, in the post-Fulmer era, to not have a player arrest every weekend.
What do you think Brett?

TommyJack writes:

in response to CantCompare:

What the bloody 'ell does "your hired" mean?

VOLinATL writes:

I guess the Mike Hamilton legacy game isn't getting a prime time slot, huh.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Sorry, Mike Hamilton, but I'll either be fishing, hiking, or kayaking. I'll take my radio.

Next Saturday, when I had planned to go to Chapel Hill to see Tennessee play, I'll be at Grant Field to see Georgia Tech play UNC. If UT isn't going to schedule quality opponents, I'll look elsewhere to satisfy my college football addiction.

Biggie writes:

in response to CantCompare:

Dufus

volmania97 writes:

We lost one game...it's not the end of the world. This time last week, everyone was talking about how Dooley was a great coach. I am a Vol fan no matter if they win or lose. We are a young team and we will only get better! For all of the band wagon fans, please go root for bama or the gators.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to CantCompare:

why dont u shut ur piehole!

GerryOP writes:

in response to CantCompare:

Oh, now you're over here acting like a fool. My, my, my that's quite a post. Did you mommy or did lil' DCGataBoy help you with the longer words?

This twerp was just over on another thread telling everyone how he has been predicting Vol failures for a long, long time and trying to help us understand. But he just signed on this past weekend. That's our lil' ZZGataBoy ... never made an adult post for over three years ... and he's still digging.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to CantCompare:

No Vandy stats? Come on, you're (not your) slipping!

10ECMATT writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

That's fine with me. At least we can get rid of these "fans" that leave games early, complain about everything, and really just hang around when things are going good. Good riddance.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to 10ECMATT:

I hope not because that would make up over half the fan base. Fans want to see good opponents and win. It wasnt that long ago that those were common expectations at UT. Fans are just going to have to learn to lower their expectations. With the talent other SEC teams have compared to ours, its going to take time for UT to start competing for Championships again like they did in 07. And it will be almost impossible to do it on a consistant basis, but if expectations are lowered it wont be a big deal to back out of a game vs a mid tier ACC team. At least we will have 6 sure wins this year.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to 10ECMATT:

Maybe Tennessee should just join the Southern Conference, then fans that get excited about a win over Buffalo will have something to get excited about every week.

I've attended nearly 250 Tennessee games in my lifetime, through good times and bad. I've reached the point that the game has to mean something in order for me to make the effort to attend.

volmania97 writes:

in response to TheBigE:

I totally Agree!

Kelly8 writes:

Glad it's at 12:30. Will be back home by 5 to watch games that actually matter.

CoverOrange writes:

Any guesses on how things would be if Fulmer had not be fired?
I'm guessing that at this point our record would still be 2-1 after another blowout loss to Florida.
Chavis wouldn't be at LSU with a mega-defense. He wouldn't have one here either but LSU wouldn't.
Might have beaten Wyoming. Might have beaten SC last year and gone to the SECCG but would have been blown out by Auburn..again.
On another guess, this would have been Fulmer's last season as he finally closed in on Neyland's win record.
In other words, the difference would have been very little.

jobrando#216494 writes:

IT WAS ALL THE FAULT OF THE FOLLOWING IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO ALL
1. FULMER
2.KIFFIN
3.HAMILTON

Drew2010 writes:

The ranting about Dooley needing to be fired at the end of this season needs to stop. The fact that we had a top 15 recruiting class after a losing record(should have been winning due to LSU & UNC) and we have a top 25 this early tells me Dooley knows how to recruit. As for coaching, nobody was yelling fire Dooley when he called for the SUCCESSFUL onside kick against the Bearcats. Sorry but that is good coaching. If he is such a bad coach, why in Gods green earth did Saban keep him for 6 years and want him to come to Bama. As for UT going down the drain for firing fulmer. I wanted Fulmer gone after the 05 season. His 08 recruiting class had eight 4-star players which is Pathetic for University of Tennessee and he lost his luster. I honestly think Dooley is the right man for the job. He has integrity, he recruits players who bleed orange, and he has a terrific staff.

TommyJack writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

1. FULMER
2.KIFFIN
3.HAMILTON

what jobrando said.

Fossilfiction writes:

Fire Dooley? We lost to a ranked Florida. Don't get me wrong that burns me up but a coach starting 2-1, losing to a ranked team gets him on the hot seat? Give me a break!
If your feeling let down then it is your fault. I am pretty sure Dooley said several times before the year started that "We are not a really good team, yet." If you got pumped up and thought we were unbeatable going around talking smack then blame yourself. I hoped we would win and thought we had a good chance but remember the condition we were in last year. How much did you think one year would fix? One injury and we are back to last year at any position!
As for the Vandy homer. Your team about to drop 6 of the next 8 games. Vandy getting hyped up over Elon, UConn, and Ole Miss. That is just too much.

givehim6 writes:

You know I just do not understand the way some people think? Some think because we lose to UF that means the Vols will dry up and be winless the rest of the season, what's up with that? Over the past many year a UF lose happens and we go to bowl games still, I remember still wining the SEC east. A loses to UF does not = to end of season, or= to pink slip. You wanta put us back in the coaching twilight zone again? Why you think our running game is in the sad shape it is now? Kids commit to one coach then he is gone, so will be the kid.

thevoice writes:

in response to CantCompare:

Sounds like you're not walking with UT down the road to recovery, since you already have their fate determined. Therefore, please do us all a favor and find another team and message board.

1965Vol writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Do you have any spare tickets you want to get rid of? E-me.

TheFuj writes:

in response to volmania97:

It is only 1 game last, but it is same ole same ole. Always losing to any quality opponent. I want to keep Dooley, but we have to win 2 out of the 6 big opponents to make some headway this year.
Everybody is a young team. That FL d-line was as young as our o-line.
We have to get better and beat 2 of the remaining GA,LSU,AL,SC, and Ark.
Definitely a die hard fan, but this just very frustrating losing to the Gators for 7 years in a row. We need a significant win.

1965Vol writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Really? Thanks! I didn't think there was another person in the world that could match lil' ZZGataBoy in posting silly nonsense! This dude is approaching ZZ's level of ignorance. Do Richmond and Jeff have another brother?

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

and most of all PUKE MUSCRAT AND MEYER

volman444 writes:

dooley beat ole miss last year. give him a raise.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to CantCompare:

You don't get it...It all depends on what breath you're taking or what time of day it is.

Don't you see...Dooley was left with absolutely no talent...not even Pop Warner grade...He can't be expected to win with the godawful mess Fulmer left...He needs lots of time.

Now you see...Dooley is a recruiter extraordinare..He has had two classes that are the envy of everybody...Proof positive we're on the way back to the top.

Now some might say that this is inconsistent and even schzoid...to claim a man could have two super-dooper classes and then show up on game day with no talent.

But that's the genius of Derek Dooley...or is it the lunacy of GoVols posters?

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to 1965Vol:

Do you have any spare tickets you want to get rid of? E-me.

Already been given away.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Actually, I have told the UTAD of my intentions, because they sent a survey asking my opinion. If enough other people complain about the weak non-conference schedule, maybe it will get their attention. I don't expect them to play Oregon, Texas, or Oklahoma every week, but some mid-level teams from major conferences would be nice.

Thankfully I don't live in Memphis anymore. I served my time down there.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

your going kayaking at the georgia tech game?

ridgewayvol writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

1. FULMER
2.KIFFIN
3.HAMILTON

You forgot to blame Bush and the Bush Era tax cuts.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to 10ECMATT:

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to RockyToptoNeyland:

your going kayaking at the georgia tech game?

Sept 24 (when Tennessee was supposed to play at Chapel Hill) - UNC at Georgia Tech
Oct 1 kayaking (when UT plays Buffalo).

ZKrashB writes:

Cant we all just get along...GBO

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to ridgewayvol:

You forgot to blame Bush and the Bush Era tax cuts.

Absolutely, I'm a Bush man

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to ZKrashB:

Cant we all just get along...GBO

Vols - 42 Dogs - 35. If not then getting along want be an option

jbvol04 writes:

in response to CantCompare:

YOUR A MORON!

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

I think they should call this game the 'Mike Hamilton Bowl.'

wallingdad writes:

one thing about programs that continually strive for excellence in football. if they see a lemon they get rid of it quickly. they are not patient with mediocrity. look at UF. how long did they let Zook hang around? 2.7 years before the axe. they did not let him have 4 or 5 years rebuilding.
i am not saying get rid of Dooley yet but there should be a short leash. if you allow mediocrity to linger then you are continually doomed to it. (as ut has been the last 10 years or so)
fulmers last 5 years were mediocre at best. then the debacle with kiffin. now this (maybe)

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

1. FULMER
2.KIFFIN
3.HAMILTON

I'd add Sanders (although it was Fulmer that sat by and let him stagnate), Cutcliff for taking the OC job as a stop gap measure, and Cheek for letting Hamilton decimate the entire department.

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to TheBigE:

Uh, how many freshmen and sophs did Florida start? If I remember correctly MORE than we did.

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to Drew2010:

We know Dooley can recruit "top 20" classes. It's just too bad that Saban, Miles, Muschamp, Chizik know how to recruit top 5.

vol_4_fan writes:

Dooley will do just fine with time. The same cannot be said for the impatient posters who expect instant results from the damage that has occured over the previous years. Be miserable on your own time and let real fans enjoy our journey back to the level we are headed. Go Vols!

FORTKNOXVOL writes:

I usually keep my hands off the keyboard and just read the comments, I get a kick out of the stupidity of some people. I have been trying to teach my daughter what a "FAN" and what "GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP" is. Seems like we have a number of adults that do not understand what either is, especially a FAN. A FAN is someone who supports their team and the "kids",remember they are kids. I have been a VOL "FAN" for almost 50 years, probably longer than a lot of the non-fans have been alive. You make me sick. I told my daughter that if she could not love the orange then she does not deserve to wear it. I say the same to all of you idiots that have nothing but negative comments about our team and coaches. Find somewhere else to post your stupidity.

clvolfan writes:

I have Comcast,does anyone know if CSS has HD ?

Drew2010 writes:

in response to VolFaninDC:

Dooley could recruit "top 5" classes if the conditions were right for it. Remember he landed two number 1 classes at LSU as recruiting coordinator. Now that the NCAA cloud is gone, recruiting should be a little easier. Also I think "top 20" recruiting classes are extraordinary especially after have a losing record in the SEC.

bamavol82 writes:

in response to 10ECMATT:

Exactly. GO VOLS!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to CantCompare:

Newbie rehash former poster name change over etc........

Some of you are very scary in what apparently makes up your life. Negative goop served here all day sign hanging on your front porch no doubt! Time will tell us who you were formerly as you can tell a leopard by its spots.

Tennessee beats Buffalo easily then Dawgs invade and neither of us knows what type of team will show that day for either college. So Buffalo will be no real indicator unless we go run for 200+ yards then I might get a lil 'cited.