Derek Dooley declines media interviews after practice

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley and quarterback Tyler Bray in the second half of their 33-23 loss to the Florida Gators in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on the University of Florida campus Saturday, Sept. 17, 2011. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2011

Players react to Dooley's post-practice rant

Vols football practice - Sept. 20, 2011

Derek Dooley didn't hold anything back from his team.

When the Tennessee coach was done ranting at it after practice, he apparently didn't have any words left to offer the media.

For the first time in his career with the program, Dooley declined to speak with reporters after a workout on Tuesday morning at Haslam Field. But he could be easily heard reading the Riot Act to the Vols after a session that clearly didn't meet his standards coming off a 33-23 loss on Saturday at No. 15 Florida, and the players had no trouble interpreting his message.

"I mean, it's good to see his energy out here," wide receiver Zach Rogers said. "But we came out with the wrong mindset. We were kind of dragging around all practice, it wasn't a very good practice — myself included.

"As we grow as a team and as we grow in maturity, I think we'll get better in that and learn the importance of this open week to get better."

The Vols have plenty to sort out without a game to prepare for right now, obviously starting with its offense as it begins life without Justin Hunter.

UT has issues to correct on both sides of the ball, and Dooley indicated during a public appearance on Monday that he would be treating practices like they were training camp this week.

That included a spirited, physical drill with offensive and defensive players battling each other inside a circle of teammates early in the open portion of practice that seemed to have the Vols energized. But based on the comments from the players afterward and the absence of them from Dooley, it might not have lasted.

"It was just a sluggish practice," wide receiver Matt Milton said. "We didn't come out focused like we needed to be, and he let us know.

"I mean, we needed it though. I'm glad he did it."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

The_Real_Orange writes:

What? No witty snippets? Im shocked!

cpahiker#231287 writes:

this is a young team, there will be ups and downs

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Sounds like CDD is gonna take some names....
This is good! GBO!!!

RUstilltalking writes:

not surprising since there is an off week. Not mention that the next game is against Buffalo. They might as well play Taft Youth Center. The fans are not even motivated to see the game much less the players to play in it.

Question: Has Tennessee beaten any BCS conference school under Dooley with a winning record?

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Do what you gotta do,CDD!!

Smokey says it's your team and you call the shots..

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

So did he go rabid like Muschamp did in the game Saturday?

Pompey writes:

in response to RUstilltalking:

....answer; yes Tennessee does have some of the dumbest trolls in the SEC as fans.....

2001utgrad writes:

Darn skippy. If you are the head coach you cannot go out there and tell the players "Hey, that was a moral victory...way to go against Florida guys."

First off, it wasn't a moral victory...and shouldn't ever be called a moral victory.

Secondly, when you start accepting that a loss is a 'semi-win' then you're never going to actually start to win.

Dooley will get this team turned around. Haters can hate all they want. Tennessee will be every bit of 9-3 or 10-2 next year.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

So did he go rabid like Muschamp did in the game Saturday?

Do you actually watch the games and see practice clips? CDD gets about as excited on the sidelines as you will see...granted CWC is over the top sometimes but CDD doesn't take a backseat to any coach in that area...

volman444 writes:

offensive line is worse than last year, kicking game is worse than last year, run game is worse than last year, linebackers are worse than last year...yea things are getting better.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

I see the "family" has put you out to pasture....made u an offer, uh?????...

TommyJack writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Sponsored trolls on overtime.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to tennrich1:

It was meant to be a joke since so many fans were ballyhooing over Muschamps behavior Saturday. This team is young I just hope Dooley isn't losing them already.

GerryOP writes:

Coach Dooley is practicing an age-old saying that many of our momma's taught us -- "If you can't say something good, say nothing at all."

Many on this board never learned this lesson ... or never had a momma.

The_Reverend writes:

I like this staff.

arkyvol writes:

color me unconvinced about this coach and staff. he had no record to speak of when hammy pulled him off the bargain rack. if he was on anybody else's short list, i haven't heard about it. i'm hoping for the best, but i have yet to see any reason to be optomistic.

allvols4life writes:

in response to CantCompare:

Go find another team, instead of another screen name. It used to be comical to read your comments just based on sheer stupidity, but now it is getting to the point of being irritating. GO AWAY!

Mtnbiker writes:

You know, i'm not sure why i even read the comments anymore. All these retarded trolls are tiresome. Grow up your team Won ours lost. That how life is, just remember you have more games to play just like we do. The rest of the SEC isn't rebuilding. We are still at least a year away even if we had Hunter. Bray doesn't make a bad throw in the 3rd Qrtr the whole out come could have been different. Oh and how about that first half? Other than 2 drives you did mostly nothing against our Defense. Your not that much better than us. Biggest difference is Demps and Rainey. Without them you guys would be 6-6 right beside us. When you win another National Championship then come back crowing, otherwise go home an STFU.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Many on this board never learned this lesson ... or never had a momma.

It wouldnt be the first time he's talked bad about the team. Also if posters never said anything negative about the team on here it would be more like a cult for Orange Koolade drinker than a message board.

UTbassdrummer writes:

ZacharyUTK writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Apparently, I've been doing it wrong for years. It looks like what I'm supposed to do is register on an opposing team's news website and leave snide comments for their fans.

It's obvious that you aren't a fan of the Tennessee Volunteers. What I notice from your comment is that you've capitalized both words in "The Swamp". This leads me to believe that you're a Florida fan.

And, if you are indeed a Florida fan, this means that you're continuing to troll around on GoVolsXtra even after Tennessee was beaten in the Swamp. And not only that, but then to make comments and ridicule our team, our coaches, and our fans.

This shows that you, sir, are lower than low. You must have no better things to do with your time than to mock the fans of a team that you've just seen defeated. You must have no idea what sportsmanship means. I'd be willing to bet that you've never participated in competitive athletics in your life, for if you had, then you'd know to have the decency to shake hands, say "Good game," and move on.

I imagine that you must live a sad life. If I were in your place, and had nothing better to do with my time than snoop around on Gator news sites all day and deride their fans when the Gators lose, then I don't know how I could live with myself. It'd be a pretty miserable existence.

Here's my advice to you, friend:
1) Turn off your computer.
2) Unplug your computer's keyboard and pick it up.
3) Get up from your chair.
4) Turn around and bend over.
5) Kindly place your computer's keyboard so far up your rectum that it's never seen again.

Best wishes on your team's continued success this season.

RUstilltalking writes:

in response to Pompey:

Actually moron the answer is they have not beat a BCS team with a winning record under Dooley. Don't be blind to the fact that results count in this game. Just because you want a Bro-mance with Dooley doesn't mean you can ignore fact. He has a very small window to produce, I hope he does, it is alot more fun to see TN win then lose.

bobbarbilly writes:

I don't understand why these young men have to be motivated before a game. If running through the "T", wearing the orange and white jersey with a tag that reads " free college education" ,tradition and playing against some of the best teams in the country are not in themselves enough motivation, perhaps the question is can they ever be motivated.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to cpahiker#231287:

this is a young team, there will be ups and downs

Here we go with the "youth and inexperience" cropolla again...Hell..If Herman Hickman, Bob Suffridge,Beattie Feathers, and Bobby Dodd were resurrected and put in an orange shirt, they'd still be a year or two away for Dooleyphiles.

Of course...Everyone knows you have to be at least a senior to execute a center snap or block a 180 lb opponent coming straight up the middle on a punt...Every one knows it takes years to coach that..Rome wasn't built in a day...Dooley will get those center snap and punt blocking problems corrected...He's a great coach...Just give him 5 more years...You'll see!!

VOLliven2it writes:

It pains me to see the lack of support for our team. They are our team or else go to another site. Why do any of us expect what we have been through to be fixed overnight? Oh we just want it to be so. Well that is not reality. It is sickening how quickly we fell into disarray and forget it takes time to climb back up. I am not satisfied with our play but it is close to what I thought we'd be at this stage. We beat up on an FCS team and whip a not that great Cincinnati team and suddenly we are suppose to be world beaters, go to Gainesville and automatically win? Sorry, reality check fans, it is still going to be awhile accept that. It would be if we had hired Mike Leach or A B C D, or any other head coach. So let's strap in and believe that even with the big loss of Hunter we will be fine and make progress. Anyone remember how we felt about this time last year? Yeah it was awful. At least we have shown some life and a little more depth even with our youth and fewer seasoned players. Give it a break friends. We have a ways to go. GO BIG ORANGE! PS I am one fan who plans to go see the Buffalo game. Yes I'd preferred it to be UNC but I can't change that and still support our team.

allvols4life writes:

in response to RUstilltalking:

When did that window get very small? Just last season people were saying on this very website that he would have at least 3 years to produce and possibly as many as 4 years. Now he is expected to produce this year? I am not saying that I don't expect to see better results, because I am. I want to see improvement. The jury is still out on that one. Wait until the end of October and then judge whether we have improved over last year. I am not saying they have improved or not, not enough to base that judgement on at this point. I am hoping they are improved over last year, but again, for me that wont be answered until late October.

Vol737 writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

Neither of you effing clowns have a clue. Little smart @$$ remarks to make yourself feel relevant. Yeah, I'm sure you're real dialed in to Dooley's motivations and goals...morons.

allvols4life writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Hey P e c k e r Park, have you ever coached anything in your life? If the coach does teach those things, did you ever stop to think that maybe it was a lack of execution on the part of the kids? Of course not. Everything is the coaches fault. Fire the coach. That will solve everything. Since I am not at practice, I don't know what Dooley and staff teach the players, but I am willing to bet that not allowing a rusher up the middle on a punt is one of them. My guess is that the student-athlete did not do what was expected of him at that moment. But then again, lets just blame the coach for everything that went wrong. You know what...if we don't call that pass play in the first quarter, Hunter might still be playing and healthy. Dang it Coach! How could you call that play!?!?

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to StreetBarberWillyBill:

Man Oh Man...Now the Dooley Moral Victories are coming in quarters of football...Cant wait for Bama and LSU...What will it be?...WE STOPPED EM ON ONE PLAY IN THE 3RD !!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

Here's my advice to you, friend:
1) Turn off your computer.
2) Unplug your computer's keyboard and pick it up.
3) Get up from your chair.
4) Turn around and bend over.

Best wishes on your team's continued success this season.

Good work Zach..I agree with everything you said!!

Smokey says you just spoke the truth and deep down the trolls know you are right..

voloffaith writes:

in response to RUstilltalking:

Some might say Ozob you knew the answer b4 you asked didn't you? The answer is yes I did. So you asked to be obnoxious and to prove what? We have several of you poster children that post every other(seems like) post about our current Coach does not have....blah...blah....

I mean what a sorry existence if your life derives pleasure out of inflicting others verbally and hopefully not aggravated assault style.

FWBVol writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Bray wasn't the problem. The last I checked he had 280 something yards passing and three touchdowns against the Gators. If Rainey or Demps had been injured on Florida's first possession of the game things might have, notice I said, might have been different.

The wheels might be out of balance, but they are not coming off. UT is still a very young team and many players were making the first road starts of their career in one of the most toughest places in the country to play.

There are very few seniors and juniors to help guide the sophomores and freshmen through their growing pains.

Derek Dooley has a plan, but it will take more than one and one-third of a season to get everything in place.

People talk about how the program was in a decline for the last five or six years of Phillip Fulmer and the mess left by Lane Kiffin and then expect CDD to have things already fixed, which is insane.

It takes longer to cook a thick steak than it does to cook a hotdog, but there's more substance to the steak and it will keep you filled up a lot longer.

Some fans have a hotdog mentality when it comes to cooking time, but they still want to taste steak.

GerryOP writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Thanks for your kind advice.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Oh, Boo freakin' Hoo you bunch of crybabies.

CDD is doing the job we want. Sure, I hated last Saturday but I can see the vast improvement over last year.

But, we'll need another full class of depth to go with our Sophs and Frosh in order to be fully competitive vs. the Gates, Barns, and Bammars.

Be patient.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to allvols4life:

Funny you mention about not blaming injury on the coach. I remember when alot of people blamed another UT coach for Ainge getting injured at halftime of the Notre Dame game for calling a pass play. I honestly dont know how the low snap continued throughout the whole game like it did. I mean how many times was too many. After the first couple times? Naaah. After the fifth time? Naaah. I seriously bet it happened over ten times during the game. Not sure why it was happening and even more not sure why it wasnt addressed and fixed before the end of the game. Dooley definately has his work cut out for him and he's finding out quickly how high expectations get at UT.

WV_Vol writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

In some respects I agree with you. First, let me say that the people who were saying UT would beat FL by two touchdowns were in the land of make-believe. Second, FL didn't really "expose" anything that we didn't already know. The Vols' two best LB are Freshman, the O-Line was ineffective, and their starting RB would have been a career back-up with the roster equal to that of the late 90's. Didn't we know all of this before the Florida game? Some people chose to think we were back to the form of that era, but we all knew deep down we were not. Thirdly, I think it's drastic to say the wheels are coming off. If we look at it objectively, we can see that UT is a very young team that's still down in talent, but is improving. If last year's team were to play this year's team, even without Hunter, this year's team wins. Stop whining and let the season play itself out.

Colliervol writes:

That is simply a function of lack of upperclass leadership. We just don't have a bunch of it and sophomores do not count when it comes to that. Do you think Al Wilson or Steve Kiner ever had a problem getting a team to focus? I think not. Dooley and the coaches are all they have to look to until some real leaders surface on that team.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Oh, Boo freakin' Hoo you bunch of crybabies.

Be patient.

Gee and all this time I thought Fla. started 14 to our 12 "Sophs and Frosh"...Those darned guys lied to us...I'm so relieved that no one else in the SEC has to labor by playing "Sophs and Frosh"...You just wait..Dooley will be making that old Nick Saban cry uncle when our "Sophs and Frosh" grow up...We're only two years away.

NashvillePreds writes:

What's he going to say?
"We can't run the ball, but had developed an offense based on three guys. One of those guys is now out for the season, and I am feeling like we are really going to struggle for bowl contention. Literally, the worst thing that could have happened, did happen with Justin's injury. I just don't have anything positive to say at the moment."
Would that fire up fans? No?
Unfortunately, it's about all that can be said.

GO VOLS

Hickmc writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

I know things happen and we don't always understand why but I would still like to know what the outcome would have been if Justin doesn't go down. On our first pass to him there wasn't a gator withing 5 yards of him. Whether they were scared of his speed or simply got "burned" can be debated. But I will guarentee one thing. Had he been in the game and avaiable the gators would not have been able to blitz like they did.

I know that's a big if but I wouldn't get too cocky if I were you "precious" because you still have a few games left on your schedule that could be "interesting". Think Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Florida State, and even Georgia. Say what you want but Georgia is growing up fast. Ask the old ball coach if you have doubt. Not to mention the jury's still out on Auburn.....

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

He needs to decide if he wants to be jerry clower or the tennessee football coach!

DooleyWagon22 writes:

Sounds speechless with poor practice. I would be too. I hope we don't go 6-6 again! We are a 7-5 or 8-4 with a upset even without Justin Hunter. But we will never get there without the running game. Go Vols and CDD.

gluesniffer writes:

in response to volman444:

what team are you watchin?

OrangePride writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Good response to the always moronic MCMP nonsense. Who out there thinks for a moment Tennessee and Bray would not have been close or over 400 yards of passing if Hunter stays in the game? We are missing our best receiver, best LB, and best DB from the summer, so NO, the wheels are not off. Dooley is frustrated after Saturday...just like all of us. But there are 2 weeks to get reset and 3 weeks til Georgia. Before this year ends, Bray is going to be one of the top, if not THE top QB in the SEC....book it! I also think the running game will find its legs in the coming weeks....at least enough to keep teams from putting 7 guys in the secondary. It's a bad loss, but there's still a LOT of football to be played. So we learn, and we move on. GO VOLS!!

skboy writes:

Before anyone eles types another word about this team good or bad they need to anwser this question. How many snaps did you play last saturday. Its a GAME , entertainment, try to enjoy it, if you can not then don,t watch.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I just love the "Book it" stuff from all the Dooleyphiles...First...10 wins this year "Book it"...Now..."Bray's still the best in the SEC "Book it"...Soon...Dooley will get them in 2014 "Book it"

The truth...With Dooley and his O-line coaching...Bray may not survive LSU and Bama..."Book it"

silverstang writes:

Are ya'll serious? A lot of you are already calling for CDD's head..whatever. Go ahead and jump off the bandwagon, we don't want you anyway. Go Vols, and keep worin' em CDD!

gluesniffer writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

did you watch the game or check the box score?
florida didn't exactly shred anyone. a couple of runs of 24 and 28 yards by Demps and Rainey boosted your average yards per rush up to a whoppin 3.4. most of your yards throwing came on screens and 3 yard dump downs that Rainey turned into big yardage. it was enough to win, but hardly enough to strike fear into anyone else in the SEC.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

With the stuff these Dooleyphiles post, they and Dooley, probably think it's Bama week and Saban Saturday...As in Tn vs. Idle.

drwut70 writes:

I gave up on GOVOLS and now go to VolNation and Volquest. I just mistakenly Googled GOVOLS and skimmed through some of the reports and comments to see if anything is different. It is worse than ever as far as trolls and negativity. When did it get so bad?