Vols coaches have different views on stats

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley, left, talks with defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, right, as the Vols warm up prior to a scrimmage at Neyland Stadium Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2011.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Adam Brimer

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley, left, talks with defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, right, as the Vols warm up prior to a scrimmage at Neyland Stadium Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2011. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Justin Wilcox doesn't seem to want anything printed out for him after a game.

The Tennessee defensive coordinator doesn't appear to even have a need for a sheet of paper with a bunch of numbers.

Only one statistic really matters to him, and as long as there's enough electricity to power those enormous, bright lights all around a stadium on Saturdays in the fall, the Vols can save a couple trees.

"I think stats are for losers," Wilcox said. "The only thing I'm looking for after a game is if we won."

Figuring that out doesn't require any special formulas or complex analysis. A film review isn't necessary to answer that basic question, and it doesn't take a printout of the massive amount of numbers that a single game generates to solve the equation for either 'W' or 'L.'

Wilcox is surrounded by coaches singularly motivated and judged by the illuminated numbers on the scoreboard, and there's obviously nobody at UT who would value another statistic over finishing with more points than the other team.

But when it comes time to explain how or why the Vols won or lost, even Wilcox needs to rely on something a little more revealing than the score.

After all, both winners and losers have stats. And everybody has one that seems to matter just a little bit more than others.

Derek Dooley piles up data.

Red-zone success. Third-down conversions. Yards per attempt. Tallies of explosive plays.

The Vols coach wants it all, and he's the first to admit using numbers drives him as he leads the program in his second season.

But nothing matters more to him than the ultimate outcome. And in figuring out what makes a team more successful than others, he's found nothing that matters more than turnovers.

"What impacts winning and losing? No. 1 is turnovers," Dooley said. "I've done a three-year study. Over the last three years you take every team in college football, and the teams that have a plus-one turnover ratio per game, ending the year plus-12 or more, they average 9.5 wins a season.

"So, turnover ratio is huge."

It isn't hard to figure out how protecting the ball on offense and taking it away on defense would bode well for a team, but the point seems to be that it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

In a small sample size, the Vols threw two interceptions at No. 15 Florida in their last outing before the bye week, giveaways they offset by forcing a fumble. UT (2-1, 0-1 SEC) lost that game by 10.

But even that number can be massaged a bit. Dooley dives to collect more precious data than just interceptions and fumbles — though that's obviously a fine place for him to start.

"It's not just that," Dooley said. "The fourth-down stops are turnovers, the blocked punt is a turnover that doesn't really go in that stat. I think that's No. 1, and I've found that — not talking about points here — explosive plays, an ability to generate big plays is huge.

"If you take those two things, my experience has been that the team that has the best ratio of turnovers and big plays tend to win over time. That's what we were doing pretty good, especially our big plays. When you look at the end of last season when we were winning, we were hitting a lot of big plays."

And at plus-nine, the Vols also had a decisive edge in that critical turnover battle as they rattled off four consecutive victories in 2010.

Wilcox obviously doesn't hide his feelings about building a defense based on statistical analysis, particularly since the coordinator is smart enough to know how easy it is to manipulate the numbers.

Using one of the three things he does admit to looking at after a game, third-down defense, his point is made quickly. The percentage can be skewed by plays that only needed one or two yards for a first down.

But then, if his team was constantly allowing an offense to put itself in those favorable situations, there's a good chance another category he follows is coming into play as well.

"On our part for our self-scout, it's going to be missed tackles," Wilcox said. "Big-picture, just statistically, third downs and explosive plays (of 25 yards or more) are always big to me. I think all those things, stats, you can build them however you want to build them. They're important, they are, and at the end of the day there are certain things that are going to be critical for us.

"But how you play in your technique and your alignments, that's a result of the stats. We've got to be more worried about the fundamentals of it than what the stats sheet said. If we start sitting there and saying we're giving up this-much percent, we've got to be better on third downs, well, how do you get better on third downs?"

The surest bet is by forcing an offense to work harder to convert them, which starts with solid tackling, reliable technique and cutting back on misalignments even before the snap.

There's no line in the box score for errors in any of those departments, but Wilcox is definitely counting them on film.

"In terms of the third downs, the goal is to keep the offense under 33 percent," Wilcox said. "Now, here's the big key to third downs, if you're at third-and-3, third-and-4 all day, your percentages are going to go up.

"So we've got to do a good job on first down and second down to get them in the right third down so we have a chance."

What a missed field goal is going to cost the Vols on the scoreboard is obvious.

Eric Russell doesn't have much need to look at kicking statistics to figure out the impact after the game.

But the part the special teams coordinator and his unit plays in terms of field position might be overlooked, though not by Russell.

"I look at the end of the game — after a special-teams play, where was their offense taking the ball or where did their drive start at compared to ours," Russell said. "We lost that battle by about 11 yards last week against Florida. They started every drive after a special teams play, I want to say it was like the 35-yard line or the 36-yard line and we were at the 24.

"Not doing our jobs."

The official drive charts handed out after a game include the average field position for each team, but like seemingly every other coach, it takes a bit of tweaking to get exactly what he's looking for to prove his point in a meeting room.

For instance, in the loss going into the open date, the Vols started one drive on the Florida 36-yard line and used the short field to produce a touchdown. But that series began after a fumble recovery and not a play on special teams — so Russell would scrap that from his figures.

But a missed field goal would seemingly count doubly against the Vols, first by costing them three points and secondly by giving up field position.

"You go down and miss a field goal, they take over and get a field goal, so there's a six-point swing right there," Russell said. "Then we're backed up later, we get a short punt, (Chris) Rainey runs it down near the 30, they get another field goal.

"As bad as we played, you eliminate any of those, maybe it's a different fourth quarter."

Jim Chaney only has eyes for wins and losses, like everybody else on the Vols' coaching staff.

But the offensive coordinator doesn't just limit that cold, hard judgment for the end of the game. Chaney also does it for every play, leaning on offensive efficiency from the first snap to the last as his barometer for success — mostly because it's somewhat flexible depending on situations, leaving it less vulnerable to per-play averages that might not paint a clear picture.

"There isn't one thing that stands out because every game is so totally different," Chaney said. "Your personality has to change within the game because things change. It always blows my mind to set up a game plan all week to do certain things, but then all of a sudden things change — a rainstorm hits and you can't even see the ball. Snowstorm hits, somebody gets injured, two of your linemen go down or whatever the reason — you have to adjust during the game.

"So to say there's one stat, that would be kind of misleading because every game is so different."

But the Vols have set a goal of 55 percent efficiency when they run the ball, a number that is determined by wins or losses in various scenarios throughout the game.

For instance, a four-yard carry on first down would be a victory for the offense. Anything less would go down as a loss. But that doesn't mean the Vols are looking for four yards per carry, because getting two yards on third-and-1 would also go down as a win.

And, obviously, the more victories an offense has throughout the game, the more likely it is to score points. So when all those other factors are taken into account in the other two phases, the goal is always to be sure the scoreboard lights are shining with the only numbers the Vols really want to read — more for them, less for the other guys.

"I don't quantify a lot of statistics and say we were good or bad because of this," Chaney said. "I think statistics can help you identify some issues that come up when it's a chronic thing. If you see one you don't like, you can kind of focus practice that way. But to determine wins and losses, I don't know.

"Quite honestly I'm not a big stat guy. Ultimately I look at that one, 'W' or 'L,' and whatever you've got to do to win."

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

asleep#212036 writes:

I like 3rd down efficiency on offense and defense. It seems to be a pretty good barometer of how the respective teams are playing and like the coaches said, it becomes a reasonable reflection of 1st and 2nd downs as well. Still, hard to argue the "W" and "L" stat either. On another note, looks like Vandy IS still Vandy after all and Arkansas is not near as scary as advertised. Are Arkansas and Georgia upset victims this year? I sure hope so and some may not even consider them upsets. Go Vols!!!

RoadTrip writes:

Like the stated attitude about winning being the only stat that's important. So just to make sure we are all on the same page - so are the fans. Forget stats - just win - and all will be well.

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

I still have doubts about whether these coaches can win consistently like Coach Fulmer's organization, but I like them. I like all of them. I like Wilcox a lot, even though I'm watching John Chavis' LSU defense ram it up West Virginia right now.

Time will tell.

Go Vols!

TNVOLFN writes:

Stats are too ambiguous, which explains why each coach has a different opinion. I do feel that 3rd down defense, 3rd down offense, and turnover ratio are among the most important.

tovolny writes:

Austin, was this the only photo you could find?

I would really like to Know? For some reason, I just had a thought about the old Soviet Union boxing officials.

May be okay, but I question it. If some others posters (not the non-Vol-fans) don't bother to speak up, then I suppose it is okay.

zigvol writes:

I kind of feel like Cutcliffe and Chavis made Fulmer. Any one else agree?

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

I'm not surprised Chaney doesn't like stats and I would think Dooley wouldn't either...When you're 105th in the nation in rushing, your two wins come against powderpuffs and you're looking down the barrel of Bama and LSU's defenses...I don't blame them...Here's a stat Dooley should be worried about...center snaps..Last time I checked a whole bunch of offensive plays start there...Dooley's a perennial 5-7 or 6-6 man tops...That is as long as he can convince the UTAD to give him a steady diet of 4 creampuffs each year.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to zigvol:

I kind of feel like Cutcliffe and Chavis made Fulmer. Any one else agree?

dont disagree with ya, but Phil got the talent here for them to coach up.

Jury still out on this staff, hope is for the best

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

kinda like the creampuff your slappin down behind that computer? Get so sick of your negative garbage day in and day out

complete garbage

DavidB writes:

in response to zigvol:

I kind of feel like Cutcliffe and Chavis made Fulmer. Any one else agree?

Your right. Chavis defense kept fulmers job safe for a few more years because the D kept us in games. Cutcliff definately knew how to run Tennessee Offense and had he been handed the reins of the offense with full control fulmer may still be the head coach. Dont leave out coaches like Trooper Taylor, man I would love to see trooper come back, he could fire up the sidelines like no other.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

Time will tell.

Go Vols!

Check the box score of LSU-West Virginia. Chavis' boys gave up over 400 yards passing - does that sound familiar? I like Wilcox too, especially when I see Florida ran for over 400 against Kentucky, only 140 against us. Seems like our defensive schemes are coming together, now we just need to overcome some inexperience and talent deficits, the former being much easier than the latter. Go Vols!!

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Yeah didn't the brett maverick guy predict upsets by Vandy and Arkansas. Hope this isn't how he makes his living. W. Virginia QB threw for like 450 yds. and they outgained LSU by a lot. Stats can be very misleading.

willblitz4bacon writes:

in response to zigvol:

I kind of feel like Cutcliffe and Chavis made Fulmer. Any one else agree?

Totally agree. I wonder what he's record was before and after both coordinators left....HERMAN CAIN for PRESIDENT 2012

Professional_Forensic_Profiler writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

As I wrote in my previous post, I'm going to attempt to provide an educated attempt at supplying specific informa­tion as to the likely personality type of some of the more unusual posters herein, namely the persona using the name "Packer_Park_Orange", with a kind of forensic profile for the readers.

Though, in this case, it's strictly for educational purposes, I'll make my observations based on the characteristic patterns or factors of uniqueness that distinguish certain individuals from the general population that I would use in daily professional work.

In reading "Packer_Park_Orange's" previous posts, one notes a relentless barrage of almost uniformly negative comments. Given the frequency and timing, peppered with a clumsy use of statistics and archetypal masculine insults, one can deduce that the subject likely suffers from stunted emotional development. The subject is likely middle-aged and very probably has a difficult time taking instruction and following directions and therefore struggles with permanent employment.

Focus on the sports stories, and noting again the frequency, timing, and content of the posts, likely points to a person accustomed to frequent disappointment and failure, with an exaggerated anamnesis of past successes.

The subject was most probably a participant in college sports, though certainly never a top-level athelete, and most likely struggled thereafter in subsequent athletic endeavors. Such individuals tend to retreat inwardly and take comfort in a kind of intellectual narcisism while, ironically, allowing the physical body to dramatically decline.

The subject most probably is single or divorced, lives alone or with a family member, and has poor personal social skills. He likely lives a physically unhealthly lifestyle, even obese, and maybe suffers from significant sexual disfunction.

Persistent focus on specific personalities, for example, coaches, and obliquely refering to their manliness ("Dooley's a perennial 5-7 or 6-6 man tops") may betray a prurient interest in matters of same-sex attraction or tendancies.

The subject is intellegent, though working at the very uppermost end of his quotient, and his compulsion to make frequent posts and desire to verbally spar with others probably indicates feelings of lesser self worth and intellectual inferiority.

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

Time will tell.

Go Vols!

Anyone notice what the up-tempo passing game did to LSU's defense? I love Chavis, but he is notorious for great line play, soft passing coverage...it showed up some last night.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

Time will tell.

Go Vols!

John Chavis was the man that kept Fulmer collecting his check

hateNCloveTN writes:

two statistics that aren't even statistics are 1)offensive linemen making and holding a block and 2) defensive linemen running through or sliding off a block. These two "statistics" probably mean more towards the outcome of the game than all the others combined (just my opinion).

allvol8 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

complete garbage

Good post...he obivously does not know football

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

Your point about Coach Fulmer is exactly the reason the UT program is struggling to regain its top shelf in the SEC.

Institutional control begins with the head coach and carries into the locker room when the recruitment of character and leadership abilities pays off. When players like Al Wilson take over a huddle, young men will rise to the occasion. This has been lost over the last several years.

Can't go with the 'fool' attitude towards CPF. He represents Tennessee well, and is the only reason your boy Chavis is laughing it up with all those recruits in the bayou.

Herman Cain has admitted to being a bigot, and should stick to selling cheap pizzas to the masses.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Would you just shut up and go away? You are an absolute bore.

willblitz4bacon writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

Have you taken your medications today? The fat man drove Tennessee football into the ground no doubt about it...I believe CDD will restore the program..also I believe in capitalism not socialism..herman cain 2012

volspaws writes:

in response to DavidB:

Trooper Taylor needs to stay at Auburn....his clownish sideline demanor was more about promoting himself than it was helping us win. He emabarrassed the program. I'm amazed at the love that Taylor gets. He never won ANYTHING when he was here. His main contribution was creating dissention. Good riddance.

allvol8 writes:

in response to volspaws:

I didn'tt like taylor either...he preferred Riggs over Houston....Riggs didn't block well...Houston did..

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

So you're a bacon gobbler putting down a fat man, as you promote drug use and the election of a paranoidal populist for POTUS.

Watch out for Boortz coming from the rear when you reach around Uncle Hermie.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

snakeplissken writes:

Dooley said: "I've done a three-year study. Over the last three years you take every team in college football, and the teams that have a plus-one turnover ratio per game, ending the year plus-12 or more, they average 9.5 wins a season."

Uhhhhh, Dooley.....quit worrying about doing studies and actually do some coaching. You'll NEVER even see 9 wins in a season until you start recruiting better and holding your coaches accountable for the product you're putting on the field in your second year.
Hire you a statistician if you're concerned about stats and studies. You're the head football coach at UT - start acting like it!

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Look between your legs and realize the 'roids have left nothing that will need support.

Your future ex-wife passed this little nugget to her friends.

They talk a lot.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Watching Ala and LSU play yesterday made it painfully obvious to me that we don't have one defensive player who could start for either team. We don't have a linebacker who could make their travel squad. Dooley has a lot of recruiting to do. Vanderbilt's defense even looked better than TN's'.

volsfaithful writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

Having graduated from OSU (that would be Oklahoma) I also follow them. When Les Miles was the coach, they were mediocre at best. I was surprised (but happy) that LSU took him. He is no Saban and never will be. On to UT - I get the same concerns week after week with CDD, but.... He came with essentially a whole class of recruits missing or soon to be missing. He did a solid job on his first year recruiting and a stellar job the year before to keep everything from falling apart. I like Wilcox a lot. If you look at Janzen the same way as Hunter, you have to go to a new plan just before your first game. I think our receivers are going to be OK and next year, if Hunter comes back even at 85%, we will be great. I think we can pull 8 wins if we get an average running game going. We don't have close to average running game....

volsfaithful writes:

ok, to keep any comments away, CDD has been at UT for 2 years, but I consider his first year of recruiting to be this class... GBO!

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

"I happen to like Cain but do not think.."

Taken out of context...but it exposes the true meaning of your HandicappedHandle.

Fulmer could have fired Chavis more than once based on popular demand. The Chief had a real knack of giving up 3rd and long, and let too many teams come back when we were ahead.

Anyone who knows "come here" from "sic 'em" could coach LSU's athletes.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor see all the other teams fans(fulmerites) cant even stay away on a bye week. Witch Doctor say simple term applies to each(Owned). Witch Doctor say so nice you guys worry as much as you do being here 14+ hours a day. lol.
Bones never lie.

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to zigvol:

I kind of feel like Cutcliffe and Chavis made Fulmer. Any one else agree?

Without a doubt! Fulmer lost one of them and could never recover. Should been gone a few years before Hamilton did us the favor of running him off! Little Lane was a mistake but we now have Coaches with class, education and needing expirence. Vol fan kill me already down on these Coaches. Still rebuilding and were pissed they didn't hang 100 on Fl. Give it a chance and enjoy the ride!

willblitz4bacon writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Hey snakePISS, correct me if im wrong but didn't CDD bring in Justin Hunter?

snakeplissken writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

Hey snakePISS, correct me if im wrong but didn't CDD bring in Justin Hunter?

No way Dooley recruited Hunter or Rogers since this is Year 1 for Dooley according to him. Can't have it both ways my friend, so I'll trust Dooley at his rod that he wasn't here last year.

Next?.........

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Since Rainey has bragged about seeing "THE BIGGEST HOLE HE'S EVER SEEN" against Tennessee's defense, that unfortunately will be a highlight reel for a long time.

murrayvol writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

Time will tell.

Go Vols!

The Chief's D gave up 533 yds to WVU and beat them by 4 touchdowns. But they did generate 4 TOs to none.....which supports Dooley's take on stats.

Ws are crucial to continued employment in coaching.

murrayvol writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Big plays made all the difference at FU. Hunter injury, blocked punt, Rainey's 89 yd stroll with a 3 yd dump pass. Take away those plays and it's a dogfight.....but you can't.

The "good news" for FU is Bama's on the way. That'll be embarassing.

murrayvol writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

Leopards don't change their spots. Chavis will always have a dominant defense when he has NFL talent.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Next?.........

That's pretty mild criticism...When it comes to having it both ways the Dooleyphiles have taken it to a whole new level...Let's see...when it comes to holding Dooley accountable we get the "youth and inexperience" excuse as in.."we're too young and need two more years"...Then in the same breath we get..."If Hunter hadn't gone down we'd have won"...Forget the fact that Hunter is one of those freshmen and sophomores they just said can't play...These guys can do about faces that would make Linda Blair in the Exorcist blush!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

Coach Dooley has said many times that this is Year 1 for him. Are you saying this is his second year, and that he's had two recruiting classes??? Has he been lying to us???

allvol8 writes:

in response to volspaws:

I firm't like taylor either...he preferred Riggs over Houston....Riggs didn't block well...Houston did..

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Well we were about 6th best at recruiting for SEC teams last year, and I suspect it will be the same this year. I commend our coaches for having us ranked for SEC teams no worse than we're recruting!!!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Seems there were a lot of "missed assignments" for us in that game. Did you see Florida's first touchdown? Two different Gator receivers WIDE OPEN on that end of the endzone, and not one single Tennessee defender within 10 yards. And don't forget, that was Brantley quarterbacking them and he's about the worst in the SEC. On rainey's long run he weaved his way around our poor guys as they didn't have a clue how to tackle. That's coaching!

murrayvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Would you just shut up and go away? You are an absolute bore.

Where would he go Gerry....to the cubicle next door?

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Bye week gives em time to dredge up old memories (real and imagined) Doc.

Voloyalty writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Fulmer lost to Wyoming.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

You're the same guy who was just whinning about someone else name calling? Whadda joke!

Let's run him off cause he's overweight. Imagine that! An over weight assistant football coach!

Thought you just posted that you were'nt a coach hater here. Statements like that supposed to back your stance?

That the best you got against Chaney? Nice facts your comming with there bud. Bet you win all kinds of arguments with that material...

pogiegovols writes:

Anyone have any info on what time the Tennessee vs Georgia game may be? My wife and I are heading up to big orange country for that one from south Carolina?

TKO writes:

Dooley has been at UT for ONE year. The way some people post, they act like he took over the #1 program in America and three deep at every position with 5 stars. Get a grip. This program was in a complete down spiral and few even considered taking the job. At least he has stopped the bleeding and trying to repair what took years to screw it up.