Dooley's orange pants spark fashion trend

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley introduced fans to his bright orange pants at the Vols' season opener against the Montana Grizzlies Saturday, Sep. 3, 2011 in Neyland Stadium.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2011

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley introduced fans to his bright orange pants at the Vols' season opener against the Montana Grizzlies Saturday, Sep. 3, 2011 in Neyland Stadium. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The orange wool slacks Derek Dooley's worn in each game this season haven't always translated into victories, but they have inspired a cult-like following and fashion trend among the Tennessee faithful.

In the week leading up to Tennessee's annual meeting with rival Florida, it seemed all fans could talk about was whether or not the Volunteers' coach would wear his brightly colored orange pants at the Swamp.

He did, but Florida won 33-23, their seventh straight victory over the Volunteers.

"The pants cannot guarantee a win," Dooley quipped a couple of days after the loss.

Dooley said he was inspired to wear orange bottoms not by former basketball coach Bruce Pearl's orange sports coat as some surmised, but by watching "The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway story," an ESPN documentary about the first black quarterback in the Southeastern Conference. Holloway started for the Vols from 1972-74 and is now an assistant athletics director at Tennessee.

Holloway's coach, Bill Battle, would occasionally wore orange pants, but his game outfit of choice was an orange shirt with a tie and slacks of a more conservative color. His successor, Johnny Majors, wore orange polyester pants, a white polo-style shirt with orange collar, a white belt and white shoes to games during the first few years of his Tennessee career, which stretched from 1977-92, but opted for a suit for games later in his career.

"There's nothing better than old footage," Dooley said. "I just remember seeing the old footage of the coaches out there and they all had orange pants on. So I asked (team equipment manager Roger Frazier) if he could get a pair of orange pants. He didn't think I'd wear them. He thought I was wasting my money.

"Everybody else wanted me to wear white shoes and a white belt. My wife intervened on that," Dooley added. "That's why you never do anything without asking your wife."

Dooley and Frazier went to Knoxville custom tailoring company John H. Daniel, which fulfilled the order with wool that was woven and dyed in England.

"They had to make three different attempts at dyeing the wool before they got the color we needed, the exact shade of orange," said Joe Taylor, director of sales for John H. Daniel. "I went over to (Dooley's) office, and we compared the fabric to all of his game gear before we even made the pant. He said it was spot on."

Dooley debuted the slacks at Tennessee's Sept. 3 season opener against Montana. A photo of him in his orange pants was shared on the team's official Twitter account during the pregame warmups and had been viewed more than 17,000 times by the end of the 42-16 Vols victory.

A "Derek Dooley's Orange Pants" Facebook group had more than 25,000 followers on Friday, and the pants inspired their own Twitter account, "Dooleys_pants," where they've been tweeting their own sartorial take on legendary Tennessee coach Robert Neyland's game maxims. The gameday pants maxims include, "Carry the fight to khaki pants and keep it there for 60 minutes," rather than carrying the fight to the opponent as Neyland would say.

Soon after the Montana game, John H. Taylor began taking orders from Tennessee fans for their own custom-made orange pants. Currently, two styles are offered: a cotton-style pant that costs $199 and a wool style that's similar to Dooley's for $399.

Because all of the pants are custom made, the turn around on them is about three weeks. That means the Tennessee fans who ordered theirs immediately after the season opener will get their first chance to wear them at Neyland Stadium on Oct. 1, when the Vols (2-1) host Buffalo.

The company has taken so many orders, Taylor can't keep up with the number. Since receiving a mention during CBS's broadcast of the Tennessee-Florida game, orders have come in from as far away as California.

"I didn't know what to expect," Taylor said. "On game day when he first wore them, my phone was blowing up."

___

Online:

___

Follow Beth Rucker on Twitter at http://twitter.com/bethrucker

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

SevenT writes:

As bad as this Tennessee team is at least there is something to get excited about.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to SevenT:

Whiny...............

We'll add you to the 'list'

TommyJack writes:

God help us.

VolGrad writes:

SEC Slate

Georgia @ Ole Miss
Arkansas @ Alabama
Florida @ Kentucky
Vandy @ South Carolina

Florida Atlantic @ Auburn
Louisiana Tech @ Mississippi State
LSU @ West Virginia

What are your predictions on this weekend's slate of games involving these SEC teams?

VolGrad writes:

South Carolina
Auburn
Miss St
West Va.............a very shaky vote

RealisticVol writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

May you find a horse head in your bed!

1balloutontheright writes:

Are we EVER going to wear WHITE pants on the road again?

volpreacher writes:

South Carolina big
Auburn big
Miss. STate big
LSU close

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

This coming from fans that wear "jorts".

tennrich1 writes:

in response to SevenT:

You just had your 15 seconds of fame and that's all you could come up with? Man, you blew it...hahahah

imw8n4u writes:

$399 for pants, come on! That's almost like paying $4 for a bottle of water, uh, nevermind.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tennrich1:

But that was only 11 seconds...hmmm I think I just blew it too!

crockett1836 writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

I once heard Colin Cowherd say that most winning teams where either red or blue. First person that can tell me why this is a true statement, wins. First person that can tell me why Cowherd says moronic things, wins as well.

Mtnbiker writes:

I want a pair, but at those prices i guess i need a better job first...er wait full time would work at my current job.

My Picks:
SEC Slate

Georgia @ Ole Miss = GA
Arkansas @ Alabama = Ark in a squeaker
Florida @ Kentucky = FL
(careful gators your D isn't bulletproof) Tyler threw 3td and almost 300 yds; ignore the missed INT's since they didn't catch them you can't count that as good D
Vandy @ South Carolina : Vandy in a shocker
Florida Atlantic @ Auburn : Auburn cruises
Louisiana Tech @ Mississippi State : MSU
LSU @ West Virginia : WV(more hopeful than realistic)

govolsbaby writes:

in response to 1balloutontheright:

Are we EVER going to wear WHITE pants on the road again?

theres no telling!
I'd like if we wore the all white one away game a year.
I love our orange pants and the new white cleats!

pingkr62 writes:

I know this is off subject. (sorry)! I watched C.D.D. on C.B.S. and I could care less what the doubters and trolls may say, but I am damn proud to have him as our coach. He is smart, articulate and confident. Even if things don't work out at U.T. (which they will) the networks will be beating down his door to have him as an annalist for college football. Go VOLS and go C.D.D.!!!

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

I noticed about 94,000 Gator fans not wearing them in Gainesville and they looked about as silly as...well...jort weaing Gator fans.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to imw8n4u:

why is it like that?

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

YEAH!

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to SevenT:

Agree with you...the team really laid an egg at Florida... I wish Kiffin was still coaching... We at least beat South Carolina and Georgia when he was coaching !!!

OwensboroVol writes:

Just watch Coach Dooley finish his CBS gig. I think he was excellent and probably improved his recruiting chances with some.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to RealisticVol:

May you find a horse head in your bed!

now that is funny.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I thought the same thing.

HtownVol writes:

I like CDD saying "you are asking the wrong person about officiating at the end of the game".

Off topic, I just watched a little of KSU-Miami. Anyone wondering how Bryce Brown is doing go to ESPN3.com and pull up this game. Fast forward to the 2:30 mark in the 3rd qtr. BB was in pass protection and the OLB blitzed, BB (attempted) to dive at the LB and just looked straight down and dove ahead, ended up diving at air and did not touch the LB. The LB never even flinched. It may have been the worst pass protection ever from a RB, it was not commented on but if you pull up a replay you will see just how bad BB looked on the play.

Anyway, I really like the personality of CDD. He is a very smart coach and seems to love his team. He said he is looking forward to getting back to coach his team.

He is getting the players but not quite there yet. I thought we were set at WR but the 3 commits for 12' will help. D-Line is the only major concern I have. J Smith will be a great one but Couch has not impressed yet.

Watching the Buffalo-Uconn game right now and Buffalo is no doubt a VERY small team. UT will have the size advantage at almost every position but the Buffalo QB is very, very quick.
GO VOLS

allvol8 writes:

in response to pingkr62:

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm a anallyst. I talk good(thought I'd hurry and say the Talk part before all the nasty comments)...

Vol43 writes:

Vandy kicks a 33yr field goal to lead S.C. What's a field goal?

HtownVol writes:

in response to Vol43:

Vandy kicks a 33yr field goal to lead S.C. What's a field goal?

All I know is that old guy playing QB for SC is looking like he couldnt play for a team as bad as Vandy.
3 ints in 16 minutes, wow. You would think that playing under the ball coach for ten years he would know to not throw it to the opposite color jersey.
J Clowney is a beast though. And now with Justin Hunter no longer playing this season I admit that A Jeffrey is the best WR in the SEC, maybe D Rogers will step up and challenge him for that spot.
I guess SC can overcome a horrible QB, with respect they have a good Defense and the best WR in the SEC and the 2nd best RB (T Richardson).
I will give credit where due.
Vandy on the other hand...they have a mobile QB. That is all I can say for them. Can we swap them for FSU or Miami to make the SEC more solid? Then swap UK for Clemson or Va Tech or W Virginia? Wait we have to cinsider basketball also. UK owns the refs and powers above so they bring in too much money so they cant go. Vandy will start the season high but choke as Stallings teams do.
When will realignment be done?

HtownVol writes:

in response to OrangeTexasVol:

I try to be as honest as I can and I count Vandy and UK as 99.9% W's this season. UGA is not very goos. SC is having teouble vs Vandy.

I do see LSU and Bama as long shots but it all depends on how the team shows they can play without the team leader (Hunter).

VOLSGURLINCHARLOTTE writes:

in response to MrDonCorleone:

You are such a HATER! Probably already ordered you a pair so you can cut them off and make some jorts.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to OrangeTexasVol:

I think you just answered your own question. GBO!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to OrangeTexasVol:

Buffalo, Middle Tenn, Vandy, Ky all wins for the Vols. The Vols will beat SC if they play like they did tonight

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Is that where you buy your jorts

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to SevenT:

They aren't that bad, it could be worst. Kentucky and Ole Miss fans have genuine complaints. As far as the unis go, I'd love to see em go back to the all orange like they did during Major's tenure. The black and orange was cool too.

pridebone writes:

in response to crockett1836:

I didn't see a reply after a cursory scan, so I thought I'd give you the answer.

The reason that most winning teams wear either blue or red is because most teams period wear blue or red. I would surmise that most losing teams also wear blue or red.

As to your second question, why Cowherd says moronic things... well, he's a moron, and that's what Morons do.

Take_Back_Knoxville writes:

in response to 1balloutontheright:

Are we EVER going to wear WHITE pants on the road again?

I'm with you. The only person that should be wearing orange pants on the field is Dooley. We should be in all white on the road. That being said, Dooley should wear a suit (or something else) on the road and save the orange pants for the home games.