Michael Palardy focused on bouncing back from mistakes against Florida

Kicker says Florida game 'unacceptable'

Vols kicker Michael Palardy on critical opportunities

The pressure was on Michael Palardy all throughout the preseason.

Make a long field goal at the end of a long practice, and the day was done. Miss it, and the Tennessee sophomore kicker had to run. So did the rest of his teammates.

Far more often than not — just like he did during his high school days at St. Thomas Aquinas High in South Florida — Palardy passed the test, walking away from Haslam Field with the same confident swagger he used to execute a self-caught onside kick against Cincinnati so coolly.

"He doesn't get rattled. That's the good thing about Mike," special teams coach Eric Russell said last week. "He's going to probably say the (referee) missed the call and it went through the uprights. That's the way he is."

That kind of demeanor, though, was simply nonexistent in a performance to forget last week at Florida.

Though it was early in the first quarter, Palardy missed a critical 37-yard field goal on UT's first offensive possession, one that could have at least put a halfway positive ending to a drive that included wide receiver Justin Hunter's season-ending knee injury. One quarter later, his punt attempt deep in UT territory was resoundingly blocked and he subsequently lost his platoon role at the position to redshirt freshman Matt Darr. To top it off, he failed to register a touchback for the first time all season, as his kicks often fell short enough to set the Gators up with promising field position.

"I can't go out and miss 37-, 39-yard field goals. It's unnecessary," Palardy said. "They're going to expect me later on in the season to perform the way I should.

"The Florida game was unacceptable to me. It's just not characteristic of me."

Palardy hasn't been UT's field goal kicker for long, as he filled in for Daniel Lincoln for a handful of games last season and has just four attempts as a sophomore. All told, he's attempted 11 kicks and missed four as a Vol.

The first quarter miss against the Gators was the first to be from fewer than 40 yards.

"I know I'm going to have a lot more chances throughout the year. We've got a lot of games to go," Palardy said. "I know that a lot of these games, I'm going to be called on by my coaches and by my team. I'm going to have to perform."

There's just no true way for Palardy to gain experience in an environment like last week's without actually doing it. Team runs are one thing, but three, must-have points are a whole different experience.

"You can't really simulate 90,000 (fans) and everything on the line with a team you haven't beaten in seven years," Russell said in the days leading up to the 33-23 loss.

"It's going to be by fire when that opportunity comes up for him."

With Darr now filling the role as UT's full-time punter, Palardy's focus, as he and the Vols (2-1) prepare to host Buffalo (1-3) on Saturday (TV: CSS, 12:30 p.m.) is sharpened on never letting what he did at Florida happen again. There was no need to analyze the film to see what he did wrong technique-wise on an attempt that sailed wide right from the moment his foot hit the ball.

Instead of locking his head on the ball all the way until the end of his follow-through, Palardy popped up too early to watch it sail far right of his target.

"I can't do that," Palardy said. "If I do that, I'm going to miss eight times out of 10."

Palardy's sample size is small, and a 2-for-4 stretch would go without much external cause for concern if it occurred midway through the season instead of the beginning. He's yet to make a field goal from deeper than 40 yards and only three of his makes have come against SEC competition, but time remains on his side.

So do UT's coaches and the teammates, whose fate he has directly affected in more ways than one.

"The coaches believe in me," Palardy said. "The coaches know I have the ability to make every single kick inside of 48 yards. That's what I have to do.

"If they believe in me, I have to trust everything I do is correct."

Andrew Gribble may be reached at 865-342-6327 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              865-342-6327      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Andrew_Gribble and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/gribble

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BluezVol writes:

How can you go from a highly-touted, #1 ranked kicker in America to where he is now? I can understand last year's stats somewhat, but there has been little improvement. Does Fuad do consulting?

lguy (Inactive) writes:

in response to VOL_GOD:

You may have just posted the most idiotic thing ever on this board, and that is saying an awful lot. You don't have any brains, do you? Go back to Florida.

tmartin writes:

you mean the mistake where he theoretically cost us the game?? add those 3 and extra point when we went for 2 and we are driving at the end of the game for the win.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Watched film on a kid (a junior) at Baylor School, Chattanooga this morning...First time he ever kicked in a game as a sophomore 57 yarder...Next kickoff through the uprights...Last night against McCallie School hit a 52 yarder that would've been good from 70 and every kickoff out of the end zone...If Dooley isn't all over this kid by now, he should be fired on the spot...Especially considering the Parladay debacle.

cloudodust writes:

The number on numbnuts (trolls) on Tennessee boards is astounding.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Give the kid and Gribble a break...It's a great human interest story the kind current Dooley fans love...like orange pants...Think of the possibilities...UT's own "high character guy" Rudy..."The Shawshanker Redemption"

Vol737 writes:

Does Jeff Hall have kids yet?

OrangePsyched writes:

It's OK to be cocky if you can back it up. Palardy hasn't done so since he came here. I once thought that he had a strong leg but was just not very accurate. Turns out his leg doesn't appear that strong. It one hits the suggest removal does the system automatically remove it does it have to be proofed. We shouldn't have to read comments from the same troll with 17 different handles. I don't read them anymore but by the time I scroll past them and people responding to them there's very little real Vol commentary.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Cubicle post.

tovolny writes:

Did Eric Russel ever kick field goals, punts, or kickoffs? I am curious about his experience. If not, is there anybody on the UT staff that has experience. Ole George Cafego had experience and knew how to coach. WHO on the UT staff understands the technical aspects of kicking footballs? I watch the kickers and see basic miscues. Does anybody out there know the physical training that goes into building up a kickers strength? Does UT ever wet down the footballs, or spray them with non-stick spray to use in practice? Does anybody out there know the actual routines of practice?

I watched Videos of Darr and Palardy when they were in high school, and they were contacting the ball with power. Now, some force seems to have diminished. Could it be that some type of resistance training as developed muscles that have lost speed. The UT coaches have NFL experience...maybe what they use there is not appropriate for muscle developing 18-year old young men.

I know nothing about what needs to be done; however, is it not obvious that something different should be attempted?

VolGrad writes:

"Visualize and attack. Visualize and attack." :D

Go Vols!

Weatherman writes:

I hope he gets better. No time for zeal now...just kick the snot out of the thing!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

That is what he hopes to achieve. Pee Pee is a paid troll, that is his job and that is all he is capable of doing.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Palardy was doing all that in high school.Doing it in high school doesnt mean your going to do the same thing in college.Just ask Palardy.Plus Palardy would still be kicking the kickoffs out of the end zone if he was kicking off at the 40 still.

claiborneh writes:

in response to tovolny:

I know answers to all your questions. They did not kick with more force in high school as you thought might have occurred. They are both simply not as good as billed. They were not evaluated but simply recruited on rankings which ate often bunkum

Ichabod writes:

Crompy - - - Overbilled, Overhyped, Overreruited..
You can try to make a silk purse all you like, but it is very obvious this guy does not have it. Watching Bama and LSU this weekend with their kickers, made it plainly obvious that we are no where close in most phases of the game, to include one of the most important of the Generals Game Maxims.

"If they believe in me, I have to trust everything I do is correct"
Huh???

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to lguy:

You Sir are absolutely correct. Vol_God needs to be taken to the wood shed and taught some manners. That was the most stupid put down of a player ever.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Hey Dumb arse.Palardy was doing the same thing when he was in High School.

If the guy from Chattanooga can kick,bet the Farm Dooley and company know about him.

You need to be more than fired. Rest assured,your mouth will someday get you into more trouble than you will be able to recover from.

nocleats writes:

Do, or do not! There is no try.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to tovolny:

I'm with you on this one, I don't know anything about kicking a football either....... but I've seen Palardy kicking in High School on You Tube and he's definitedly not kicking the same. I've been told that the tee is different in High School? Maybe that's part of the problem. We've had some pretty good kickers over the years.....maybe a former kicker, i.e. Vol For Life could come back and help us out!

CrankE writes:

"They're going to expect me later on in the season to perform the way I should."

No sir, we expect that NOW. Right. Fricking. Now. You were a highly touted kicker coming out of high school. According to the George Cafego school of thought, just kick the &^%!@$! ball through the &^&^!%%#-ing uprights.

Are you sure you'll have a lot more chances? If I'd missed 4 of 11 field goals, I wouldn't expect a lot more chances.

Less talk. More running. Your team doesn't have an extra scholarship to use bringing in some kicker to fill the role for which you are already on scholarship. You need to perform. NOW.

Prostar writes:

How many times have I pulled my head up to see what a beautiful golf shot I was about to make? Happens to a kicker too. I too wish he had made the FG; however, I truly was looking for more kickoffs to land in the endzone. It's tiresome watching other teams punt for 50 yards or more and land kickoffs into or out of the endzone.

barefoot43 writes:

Kicking in high school with a tee, not much of a rush, not much of a crowd and everything slower is 180 degrees different than college. What comes out of their mouths is not necessarily a window to view what is inside their head. The kickoffs I do not understand. The kid has a leg, I saw him in high school and that part does not change. The ball should be jumping off his foot and it is not. It looks like he has a tired leg but he should be fresh by now. I just hope he improves. If he can shake this off he will be a huge asset down the road, he is that talented.

UTVOL2001 writes:

Chill out folks! If you are a kicker, you will miss. If you are a QB, you will throw an int. If you are a RB, you will fumble. That is part of the game. I have never been a kicker and would never wish that upon anyone. Too much hell to pay when you miss. Back off people. Bottom line: He will get it right or he will be replaced. Go talk about someone missing a block or something! Go Vols!

abnermc writes:

I do not understand the short kick-offs. There are students available who surely can kick that far. Watched the Colts last night & saw more that one kick go into the STANDS in the end zone! This really must be fixed. For several years now it has plagued us.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Who has been coaching him?

Vol4EVA writes:

Here are some facts and data points for all you so called fans to chew on. Since most of you use Jeff Hall and James Wilhoit as your measuring stick, let's examine their statistics and how they compare to Palardy at this point. Here are the facts:

Jeff Hall

Freshmen Year:
FGA - 24
FGM - 17
Sophmore Year:
FGA - 17
FGM - 10
Note: Worse than his Freshman year. Were you all hating him at this point?
Junior Year:

Sophmore year (through 3 games):
FGA - 4
FGM - 2
Career:
FGA - 11
FGM - 7
64% (with a lot off football left to be played)

Here is the link if you want to check the facts out for yourself

You would have to go back to Fuad to find a kicker with significantly better stats and let's remember he got to kick field goals off a big tee. Carlos followed Fuad with much more mediocre statistics and if I recall both missed game losing field goals against Georgia Tech (Fuad slipped and fell in Atlanta and we lost.Carlos missed a chip shot in Neyland, but then nailed a 50 yarder a few minutes later to tie the game, otherwise we would have been 10-1-1 that year)....I swear I don't remember the hate for those guys then.

And by the way, if you want me to share the stats for Palardy's kick offs, I can go get those and demonstrate to you with the proof of data, that he is performing above par in the SEC and nation in that catagory as well.

Fact is, I thought the Reviez brothers, Hall and Wilhoite were great and I still do. One of the things Fuad, Carlos, Jeff and James did not have to put up with though was the hate access of these message boards and comments from the expanded information age. When Mike Palardy graduates from UT, I am willing to bet he will have had as good or better career than those that came before him. I hope he goes on to the NFL and all you haters will then proudly say, "hey I remember him when he played at UT...he was great".

How about this? If you are a true Vol fan; then try letting the coaches coach and letting the players play. Then as fans let's cheer the good plays, encourage them when mistakes are made , and let's hate on Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and the rest of our rivals. Other wise, I suggest you sit down and shut up...

Go Vols!...I'll hang up and listen to your comments...

SpecialTeams writes:

in response to Noogaorange:

It does seem that UT has money to spend on coaches, however when it comes to Kicking or Punting the boys are on their own at U.T. I read that Darr made a trip to K.C and Denver to see how the pro's punt when backed up in the end zone and advise him to make the ball hit and roll back. My understanding is that they also told him HANG TIME AND ENDING UP AT THE 10 YARD LINE WAS MORE IMPORTANT THEN DISTANCE. ,,,plus how to work out and practice before the seasons as not to be wore out during the season. These two kids have a lot to figure out on their own, I think they will. Now it is up to the boys, very little help available at school during the season.
Palardy must have shown the U.T coaches that he has what it take, they seem to have a lot of confidence him him. By the way Palardy was recruited my Kiffen for U.T while at U.T., Darr was recruited by Kiffen for his USC team, Miles at LSU and by Dooley and Russell for U.T. (in 2010) These boys were seen and looked at by the experts and they will be good, without any injuries.
l.

jobrando#216494 writes:

You cant save money on coaches and be a Bama

CrankE writes:

Freshmen Year:
FGA - 24
FGM - 17
Sophmore Year:
FGA - 17
FGM - 10
Note: Worse than his Freshman year. Were you all hating him at this point?
Junior Year:

Sophmore year (through 3 games):
FGA - 4
FGM - 2
Career:
FGA - 11
FGM - 7
64% (with a lot off football left to be played)

Here is the link if you want to check the facts out for yourself

Go Vols!...I'll hang up and listen to your comments...

John Becksvoort, 1993. He missed one field goal all season. In 1993, UT's offense led the conference in points per game average.

Becksvoort never missed a PAT.
____

As far as kickoffs are concerned, UT's kickoffs have been this bad for a long time. Ergo, this is precisely what the kickers are being coached to do. It's just happening too often to be a coincidence.

Vol4EVA writes:

in response to CrankE:

Becksvoort never missed a PAT.
____

Ok, let's look at Mr. Becksvoort if you want to use him as your measuring stick.

Freshman Year:
FGA: 21
FGM: 15
Sophmore Year:
FGA: 23
FGM:16
Junior Year:
FGA: 13
FGM: 12
Senior Year:
FGA: 19
FGM: 10
Note: I bet you were wanting run him out of town!
Career:
FGA: 76
FGM: 53
69.7%

Hmmmm....I wonder how well John would be received by this crowd at this point?

Go Vols!.... I'll hang up and listen to your comments...

SCVFL writes:

Go Michael!! GO VOLS!!!!

SpiritOfTheHill writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

Faulty memory here by Diaper Daddy.

In no way, shape, or form did the Vols lose the special teams battle to Florida in 2006. They just lost the game. In fact, UF missed 2 field goals in the 2nd quarter and Wilhoit drilled a 50-yarder in the 4th quarter.

Brandon James ran a punt back for a Gator TD, but it was called back due to a phantom penalty.

Lil_ZZGataBoy writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

So, your on the late shift down at the King again. Or did you momma lock you in the basement?

brokendownoldvol writes:

He'll be fine.

theoldbear writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

Wow! If I read that right, there should be some sort of special award for our special teams contributing to five straight national titles!

Coaching kickers is like coaching golf swings or coaching free throw shooting: more of an art that a science.

I don't know that George Cafego did a whole lot with "kickers", but that old guy could coach punters like nobody before or since. From the number of steps, to the height of the "drop", to where your foot met the ball, to how high your foot went on the follow-through.

Some of the more recent Colquitts obviously benefited from the earlier generation's lessons learned from the old West Virginian.

I had a cousin punt for UT, and Coach Cafego taught him how to do it.

Maybe we need to find a couple of guys like that to coach today's crop of kickers and punters.

Theo writes:

in response to tovolny:

I equate kicking with hitting a golf shot. If you try and guide it you lose all of your power. You have to swing (kick) and let the ball get in the way. The missed field goal was so indicative of a loss of confidence - a weak push. Same with the kick offs. Fear of hitting a bad shot - kickoff - will kill technique.

Theo writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Divorced? I thought so.

CrankE writes:

Was Palardy supposed to be a lot better than this coming out of high school? Yes.

Can he be a lot better than this RIGHT NOW? Yes.

So is 64% acceptable? (By comparison, a team with an 8-5 record has a winning percentage of about 62%-just saying.)

What's in the heart and head leads to the results on the field. If that's true, then Palardy's comments speak louder than the results.

asm2008 writes:

in response to tovolny:

THIS IS A FACT.....

the balls used in high school are different then the ones that TN uses. Some schools use NIKE balls that are great for kicking and punting. we use a WILSON ball that make it more difficult. No excuse, but the ball DOES make a difference. Palary was not that good when he came here. we have better kickers on the bench (but not on scholarship) and therefore dont use them because of the investment in Palardy. Darr is raw talent. Both colquitts took time to grow and understand the new ball and how fast the game is. DARR will be a weapon in time. Palardy, not so much. the kid from WEST next year will take over the kicking duties.

-mark it down

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Tennessee got beat by Florida fair and square. I highly doubt that if Palardy makes his missed field goal Tennessee gets the win. Tennessee's D just couldn't stop Rainey or Demps and that is what ultimately cost Tennessee the win. Tennessee is improving, but it's going to be a couple of years before we are contenders again, and that is if Dooley is able to right the ship that Kiffin wrecked.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

As much as I dislike the Gators, that "phantom" penalty was called because one of the UT defenders hit Leach on the helmet as he threw the ball. I thought it was a jobbing penalty too at first. Intentional or not, it was a personal foul.

snuffysmiff writes:

Excuse me it was Leak not Leach.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Kicking into the endzone from the 30 can be done.
In fact, one of the games this past weekend found
one guy kicking them out of the endzone.

In the WVU-LSU game.........how critical it was to not kick a touchback for West Virginia. The Mountaineers had just drawn to 27-20, had gotten the crowd into it...........and on the ensuing kickoff that failed to reach the goal......LSU returned it for what...........97 yards? Ball game.
Palardy is the man for now, so here's hoping the
kicking game..........his part of it, improves.

Vol4EVA writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Hey thanks for the correction. I mixed up the sequence in transferring the data, but this punctuates the point all the more considering Hall was just 10 of 18 his sophomore year. I have researched it from Ricky Townsend in the early 70's all the way through Lincoln. The data proves it out; Palardy is on par or better with all of them based on the stats (with the exception of Fuad as previously stated). Now I want to encourage all true Vol fans; let's get behind Palardy and the team and save the hate for Georgia, LSU, Alabama, South Carolina, and Arkansas.

Go Big Orange!......I'll hang up and listen to your comments....

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Precious,

Just wanted to be one to comment here.........that you seem to be a lot more civil than the original version of Mama's Precious One.

We need more logical and civil posters here and I hope you'll be it !

So, regardless of the name, I can see the difference in you two.

smyrnavol writes:

in response to SCVFL:

Go Michael!! GO VOLS!!!!

I'll drink to that! I'm old and can't kick my dog square in the dumper anymore. We will see what this kid can do, until then, if any of you can kick better THAN HIM, enroll NOW!

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Precious,

We need more logical and civil posters here and I hope you'll be it !

So, regardless of the name, I can see the difference in you two.

Well thank you. I try to make logical points. I am a huge Vol fan, but I am also a huge Fulmer fan to the detriment of many other Vol fans that post here I'm sure.

mytrifecta writes:

A great example of why you can't always trust the recruiting stars. Number 1 kicker in the nation coming out of highschool and now he's one of the worst kickers in the league. Hopefully the talent that someone obviously saw in him will reappear.