Nehlen: West Virginia has 'a shot' at SEC

Former West Virginia football coach Don Nehlen said he believes the SEC has some interest in the Mountaineers as it considers pursuing further expansion of the conference.

Asked Monday during the Scripps Legends Poll teleconference if the SEC has had contact with West Virginia, Nehlen replied: “You know what, I think they have. I think we have a shot, but I don’t know how strong it is.’’

The SEC announced Sunday that it has added Texas A&M effective for the 2012-13 academic year. The addition of the Aggies brings the number of schools in the league up to 13.

SEC officials did not return calls to confirm or deny that West Virginia has been contacted.

Former Georgia football coach and athletic director Vince Dooley said the SEC should “definitely” add another team even if it could affect traditional rivalries via potential divisional realignment.

“There are a lot of opportunities out there, certainly West Virginia is, Missouri, and there are some others,’’ Dooley said. “Based on where that (next) school comes from is how the conference is gong to end up dividing (divisions).

“It all depends on what the conference decides as to who is going to be the next team, which they definitely need to have one.’’

Dooley said if the SEC adds another school west of the current makeup, it would be “logical” for Auburn to move to the Eastern Division.

“But with doing that, you do have some scheduling and traditional problems, certainly Alabama and Auburn,’’ he said. “When we first went to East and West (Divisions, adding Arkansas and South Carolina in 1992), there was a great tradition of Tennessee playing Auburn every year. So even some of those rivals can change, and you could pick up new rivals in a hurry, particularly if you are in adjacent states.’’

Former Auburn football coach Pat Dye said schools can maintain traditional rivalries in the face of realignment.

“If Oklahoma and Nebraska wanted to play, they could play, and the same thing is true of Texas and Texas A&M,’’ Dye said. “These athletic directors have sense enough to arrange a schedule ... if Texas wants to run from Texas A&M because they go into the SEC, that’s Texas’ decision.’’

Meanwhile, West Virginia, which by virtue of bordering Kentucky would maintain the SEC’s geographical integrity, continues to evaluate its Big East affiliation.

“We’re homeless,’’ said the 75-year-old Nehlen, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005. “I don’t know what’s going to happen. The Big East, everyone is running from it. We’re down to seven (football) teams now.’’

Nehlen said it’s his understanding the Atlantic Coast Conference turned down West Virginia in its expansion talks.

“They took Pitt and Syracuse,’’said Nehlen. “Pitt and Syracuse, add them up, and they can’t bring 5,000 to a (road football) game. They really can’t.’’

Nehlen said he’s aware television market size and academic prowess are two issues various conferences are considering in their expansion planning, but he believes West Virginia has plenty to offer in those areas despite what some might think.

“There isn’t any question we’re a small state, but I’ll tell you one thing, we got about 1.8 million and they are all tuned in,’’ he said. “We’re a land grant institution, we have our own medical school, we have our own law school and we have our own dental school; we’re pretty well thought of, I thought.’’

Nehlen, who coached the Mountaineers from 1980-2000, said fans got a good idea of West Virginia’s school pride and passion Saturday when ESPN’s College GameDay set was in Morgantown for the home game against LSU.

“We have such a great fan base,’’ he said. “You saw the game Saturday night. It’s a special place. Our stadium is as good as any of them.’’

Former UCLA football coach turned television analyst Terry Donahue, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2000, said there are a number of reasons for the onslaught of conference realignments and discussions.

“I think the Texas (television) network has a lot to do with it, I think the instability of the conferences and people jumping has a lot to do with it,’’ Donahue said, “I think with bigger conferences, you can have a playoff game so you can get television revenue for a championship conference game; I think all those things are true.’’

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him on twitter at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volunatic writes:

WVU would be a good addition to the SEC. Solid football and basketball programs, and loyal fan base.

voloffaith writes:

Volunatic how is the bowling team? Vandygrad/css/maverick/SYBIL is wanting to know what they bring to the table for vandy.

On topic, West Virginia in the SEC and we stop at 14. Seems we hear their name alot,but no visisble action. Of course,silence is to be expected so as to not incite the remaining members to jumping out windows or off roofs. Needs to happen soon if reality so we can have closure and get schedules laid out. Is Missouri dead now to SEC move?

Jakevol writes:

Someone tell me its not so!

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to voloffaith:

It depends on what Missouri wants to do. If they leave the Big "12" they give up the rivalry with Kansas, which is a really nasty one, and they step into a league where they are at a serious competitive disadvantage in football. If they care more about increased revenue then they'll come to the SEC, but I don't think they were as mad at Texas as A&M was. From the SEC perspective it would be better to just find a team geographically from the East so you don't have to move Auburn and make alot of your own people very very angry, but when we expanded back in 1991 UT lost two of it's major rivals (Ole Miss, Auburn) from the regular rotation. I think Missouri will say no, I think the attractive ACC options will be leary of the $20 million buyout, I think Virginia Tech brings nothing to the table, and thus you'll wind up with West Virginia and a solid portion of the Pittsburgh TV market.

PennVol writes:

West Virginia would be the big winner here. I can see them potentially stealing many Notre Dame, Pitt, Ohio St, Penn St recruits if they can offer a kid a chance to play in the SEC!!

WoodshedVol writes:

WV would be a perfect addition to the SEC east. 14 teams is ENOUGH for one conference. Anything more becomes a clusterf@*k.

Volunatic writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

I think they're going to get WVU, Missouri, and one other team (Cincinnati would be a good choice, to get a foot in the door to recruiting OH HS talent, plus it is a good TV market) in order to complete the first super-conference.

FiftyOne writes:

I think we should invite Sewanee back into the fold. That way Vandy could have someone to beat each year.
On second thought I would rather invite Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Then we could watch the Big12(10(9)8) whatever implode.

WoodstockVol writes:

I grew up a Mountaineer fan before attending UT. WVU would be a great addition to the conference. Very good football and basketball programs and the support of some crazy, loyal fans. They own the TV viewers in WVA plus a lot of the Pittsburgh and Virginia market.

Volunatic writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I don't know how the bowling team at WVU is, but we don't want to put another bowling powerhouse in the league. You know how the Vandy fans like to gloat about preseason bowling rankings.

originalthought22 writes:

WVU is a terrible school academically. There is no way they should be included in the SEC. They are the worst of any major conference in the country (Pac 10, Big East, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10). Pathetic academic institution.

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

Let's take in all the Texas schools and pair them up with Arkansas in a separate division. What could we call the division? Oh, I've got it! Let's call it the Southwest Conference Division!

Virgil_Tutwiler writes:

Actually, the reason people speak about 16 teams is that it makes more mathematical sense.

Even number of teams
Even number of teams in 2 divisions
Even number of teams in 4 divisions or pods

16-teams provides a logical conference tourney format w/ no byes.

If talking about mutliple conferences, several 16-member conference make more sense than seveal 14-member conferences.

16-32-48-64 makes more sense scheduling national playoffs than 14-28-42-56 does. The first would give clean brackets and the second would require byes or exclusions.

There are far more logistical reason to go to 16 than there is to stay at 14.

After 16 teams, the next logical number is 20; but that number is still not as logical as 16 is.

16 is a rather perfect number....

2...4...8...16...32...64...128...256...512 is a more "perfect sequence".

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I think with the Big 12's push to stabilize the conference and more equal revenue sharing (excluding the Longhorn Network) that Mizzou has decided to remain in the Big 12. Who knows. This alignment talk changes more than the weather does in Tennessee.

Virgil_Tutwiler writes:

in response to originalthought22:

I would agree with you except the school performs the duty it was assigned by the state to educate all West Virginians.

School rankings are based too much on the ability of students before they reach school. Due to their mandated WVU is basically forced to accept all in-state students who have met the minimal perquisites.

WVU may educate their students just as well as other schools but that would not improve their ranking significantly.

barefoot43 writes:

The admission standards at WVU are quite a bit lower than the SEC allows it's member institutions. That is why they have had some highly rated recruits - Noel Divine and Bruce Irvin to mention a couple. The fans are fanatical but I would be curious to see what happens when you play 7 or 8 every year from the SEC.

OrangePride writes:

I like it. I'm pretty sure one of the key factors the SEC is considering when they look at possible expansion teams is to increase the footprint of the SEC. Adding a Texas team opened up a lot of exposure and recruiting possibilities. Adding WVA would do something similar. Always good football and basketball in WV and, except for the Steelers, they are not a big pro-football base. We'll see.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to CantCompare:

What's this "we"stuff? The only position you play is TROLL.

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Isn't it WVU that doesn't have a airport? I may be mistaken but I was once told that you have to fly in to Pittsburg and then drive to Morgantown. Also I don't like the fact that they have a mascot dressed like ours! The Eastern Division ain't got room for two schools with identical mascots!!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

I had thought Va Tech would be the ideal team for the SEC East, but they are not leaving the confines of the ACC. West Virginy would probably be a good fit.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to gbeejr#1354500:

I've been to Morgantown, and we didn't fly into Pittsburgh. Not sure it was Morgantown proper but it certianly wasn't Pittsburgh. That being said several of the airports in the SEC are questionable. Morgantown as a city though is probably no different than Starkville or Oxford. . .and probably a nicer city than Gainesville.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Virgil_Tutwiler:

Even number of teams
Even number of teams in 2 divisions
Even number of teams in 4 divisions or pods

16-teams provides a logical conference tourney format w/ no byes.

There are far more logistical reason to go to 16 than there is to stay at 14.

16 is a rather perfect number....

2...4...8...16...32...64...128...256...512 is a more "perfect sequence".

I don't want a playoff beyond plus one, because that's what makes Division I college football so unique. Playoffs will discourage tough out of conference scheduling, because teams are going to want to pad their wins. I'm also leary of a 16 team super conferences because of the loss of big rivalry games, which will in turn decrease not only TV ratings but revenue as well. Every other year we get a big influx of cash from the Florida, Alabama and Georgia games, plus you rotate Auburn and LSU into the stadium every few years as well. Split up into the four pods, assuming the bulk of the expansion heads out West, we're likely stuck with Kentucky, Vanderbilt and West Virginia, what may end up as the weakest pod in the group. That means fewer televised games and less money through ticket sales. 14 teams just adds one divisional game, which if West Virginia, will be a fairly big game for us on a year in year out basis.

westennvol writes:

I don't think WVU brings anything to the table really...personally I would rather have Mizzou and make two new divisions. SEC North and South.

Ironcity writes:

in response to gbeejr#1354500:

Its an hour and 15 minutes from Pitts airport. I am sure you can fly a charter into Morgantown if need be. As for admission standards, in 1978 WVU was tougher to get into then UT. I know a lot has changed since then so I really can't speak about today. I would love to have WVU in the conference if we need to add a team. I think they would bring a lot of passion.

WoodshedVol writes:

in response to Virgil_Tutwiler:

Even number of teams
Even number of teams in 2 divisions
Even number of teams in 4 divisions or pods

16-teams provides a logical conference tourney format w/ no byes.

There are far more logistical reason to go to 16 than there is to stay at 14.

16 is a rather perfect number....

2...4...8...16...32...64...128...256...512 is a more "perfect sequence".

Uhhhh... This ain't long division. I see your point on 16 being the "perfect sequence". The SEC is not having a football tournament at the end of the season. In their infinite wisdom, the SEC presidents will find a way to F@*K up a good thing. If we go to 16 teams that means , well, 1 or 2 nonconference games per season. I personally like knowing we are gonna pound somebody. I also like to play the ACC, PAC20, and BIG 11.

WV_Vol writes:

in response to gbeejr#1354500:

Morgantown does have an airport. It's not a large commercial airport, but it's sufficient. They are also talking about expanding the airport to accomodate large donors. Academically, the college of Business & Economics is in the top 100 (#94 I believe). I'm not sure WVU is the best school to fit into the SEC, but they may be the best available. Also, where are those two schmucks who were going on and on about how WVU would beat LSU, I knew nothing about football, and we would all see the light after they handed it to LSU? I'm just waiting for my apology...

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

I think Va Tech is a better SEC fit than WVA. What makes you say they do not want to leave the ACC for the SEC?

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

The SEC will not take WVU period...While A&M adds something academically, WVU would add nothing...Academically speaking in the SEC, there's Vandy, followed by Georgia....followed by Florida...and then the rest..It may take awhile, but it will be Mizzou...Oklahoma won't stand for long while Texas sucks up all the money in the Big XII...That conference will ultimately implode and then it will be Mizzou.

punkin writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Noone really cares what you think.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to TheKentuckyEffect:

West Virginia brings a better TV market than Virginia Tech. Missouri is a better choice than West Virginia, I just don't know if they're going to leave behind their rivalry AND be thrust into a situation where they'll have a harder time being competitive.

WV_Vol writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

What was all that one in a million talk?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

For one they'll have to pay $20 million to get out and for another they'll be in a tougher conference. They don't add anything to the TV market and the only sport they're decent in is Football. West Virginia at least gets you into Pittsburgh and has a good Football and Men's and Women's basketball programs.

WV_Vol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Very valid points. Do you think losing the Pitt rivalry to the ACC would prompt them any further?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

The general feeling is the most they'll go with a 13 team league is one season, and the Big "12" looks like it's stable for at least five years. . .and I don't see the SEC waiting for five years to add a 14th team, especially when the ACC will have 14 by then and a larger market share.

WoodshedVol writes:

in response to TheKentuckyEffect:

When they join the SEC , the people in Pittsburgh, Ohio, WV, and western Md., will get to watch SECfootball on a weekly basis. As far as academics go... do you think anybody give a cR@p that Vandy is one of the better schools in the country...this is football...we are not here to watch some kid define the speed of light. WV is a crazy football school and I think they would be a good pick. My humble opinion. P.S. What does the ACC know about football anyway.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to WV_Vol:

They've already applied but we rejected them because we want Missouri, and right now it doesn't look like we're getting Missouri. I agree with Chris Low that if nobody in the ACC we want bites (Maryland, NC State or Florida State) we'll go back to West Virginia.

njack#220216 writes:

I would rather see NC State make it into the SEC. Makes since to me from where it's located and should not be objected to although WV would make a great SEC team. imo

UTKin1992 writes:

*Broken Record Warning!*

Call me a traditionalist, but if we are to add 2 more teams to the SEC, it seems they should be geographically consistent with the current 12 schools. I get the whole let's "open new markets" deal but the fact is neither West Virginia nor Missouri fit the bill. As far as that goes, neither does Texas A&M.
In a perfect world I'd look to Georgia Tech, Florida State, North Carolina, Duke or Clemson. They certainly wouldn't open-up new markets but man would they be a great addition!

tngilmer writes:

in response to gbeejr#1354500:

SeminaryVol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Sorry I can't let this one go. Having a playoff, if its set up right, will increase the importance of the regular season unlike anything ever seen before in American sports. You will have 119 teams battling for only 8 or 16 spots! Give the conference champs automatic spots and higher seeds, and leave the other spots for at large bids. A teams strengths as a potential at large bid would largely be weighted towards its strength of schedule. Therefore, every team would be rushing to face top notch competition because one loss wont completely kill your chance of making the tourney. It is the BCS that makes the regular season a complete joke! There are only a handful of games each year of top OOC match ups. Everybody just wants to get their six wins, and the big boys don't want to take any unnecessary risks. It is a complete travesty and we are being robbed of some amazing football.

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to FiftyOne:

If looking for a Vandy foe, if the current make up does not have a high enough ACT score, why not DUKE!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

FSU would be the perfect fit as the 14th team for the SEC. Yes, that would send panic up and down the ACC, but there was a recent vote to increase the fine for leaving the conference to $32M, but FSU was one of the teams that voted for it to remain at $20M. That is a clear sign that FSU is considering moving, or at least keeping options open.

And by joining the SEC, the UF vs FSU game would be maintained (and maybe take on an even bigger meaning).

And us playing FSU every year wouldnt be bad either. If we are going to add teams, might as well be powerful ones that will maintain the strength and integrity of the SEC as the most dominant conference in the land.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to FiftyOne:

If we could get those three, we could move both Al and Au to the east and rename the conf. the Conf the South East/West conf

Pompey writes:

in response to Volunatic:

...as LSU demonstrated WVU does not belong in SEC....

silicon28 writes:

If Fla. State or Miami aren't at the top of the list then the list does not make any sense at all. West Va. is in the same category as Marshall or U. Cincinnati. Anyone want the Bearcats in the SEC?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to SeminaryVol:

So how will playoffs increase Out of Conference scheduling? They'll just be focused on winning their conferences. . .and since 8 spots will be up for grabs among about 8 conferences, I can't see many at large bids since at least six will demand their conference champion be in the tournament.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to silicon28:

Florida State doesn't want to come, and Florida doesn't want them here. Miami's not going anywhere until their little scandal resolves.

arkyvol writes:

not for a minute do i disparage the state, the fans, or the programs of west virginia. the country (what hasn't been strip mined) isn't bad either. but, comparing wva with say, missouri with its metropolises of k.c. and st. louis is like comparing atlanta with lenoir city. it all comes down to cold, hard figures. taking missouri over wva is a no-brainer.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to WoodshedVol:

WE could go completely Binary. That would put us back to the days before Conf's. each stood alone as a 1 or 0.

thevoice writes:

in response to originalthought22:

Glad someone mentioned this. I think it's the only reason they won't be invited.