Derek Dooley, Jim Chaney want Vols to run the ball better

Tennessee has occasionally made it challenging to pick up yardage on the ground all on its own.

Derek Dooley isn't expecting Buffalo to lessen the degree of difficulty any for the Vols.

The UT coach has continually stressed the need for improvements across the board for a team looking to step up its production in the running game, and at the same time this week he's made sure to stress that the Bulls won't just let that happen without a fight as Dooley evaluates the defensive talent coming to Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: CSS, 12:30 p.m.).

"We're going to have our work cut out this week," Dooley said after practice on Wednesday. "These guys are very good against the run, they're very physical up front, they have an elite player on the edge (in linebacker Khalil Mack) — elite player on the edge who is going to be a high-round draft pick.

"We're going to have our work cut out for us, it's going to be a good challenge."

Buffalo (1-3, 0-1 MAC) hasn't consistently provided that early in the season, though it is coming off its best outing against Connecticut in which it gave up just 80 yards on 42 carries.

Even with that performance, the Bulls rank just eighth in their conference in rushing defense and were gashed for 231 yards in a season-opening loss to Pittsburgh, which means there might be some opportunities for a UT (2-1, 0-1 SEC) ground attack that currently ranks No. 112 in the country to make some headway.

"Really nothing schematically (has changed)," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said. "Our whole mindset ... is we need to be more physical running the football.

"We need to run the ball better. It's that simple. We're in the day and age to try to dissect everything. At the end of the day, we need to line up, snap the ball, block the man in front of us and run the ball better reading our keys. That's what we've got to do."

Bumps And Bruises: The injury report appears unchanged for a relatively healthy UT roster coming off the open date.

Sophomore Raiques Crump, second on the team with four special teams tackles, has limited during the early portion of practice on Wednesday morning but hasn't been publicly identified as an injury concern for this weekend.

Linebacker Herman Lathers (ankle) and receiver Naz Oliver (wrist) both continue to be out as they rehab from surgeries.

Lathers has resumed jogging and is on pace to return to practice at some point in the next couple weeks.

Snooze Button: The afternoon will be free with Fall Break starting today, so the Vols aren't going to be in such a hurry to get things started in the morning.

Dooley didn't indicated exactly when UT's last practice of the week would begin, but it won't be quite as early as normal with his roster not needing to worry about classes on the schedule when the workout ends.

"Fall Break, so we've got to manage that the right way," Dooley said. "We're going to push practice back a couple hours, get them to sleep a little bit and take advantage of it.

"We've had a good week, I feel like our spirit is back, our energy is back and I think these guys are ready to play. We've just got to go out there and do it."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

snuffysmiff writes:

Ol' snuffysmiff wants them to run the ball better too. I am an old man now and might not have too many years to wait on the Vols return to smash mouth football.

ABtheVolFan92 writes:

I'm so sick of us losing, hopefully they incorporate Devrin Young into the running game as a mini boost. I pray everyday we get atleast 8 wins or better this season, I don't know if I can suffer through another 6-6 or worse season.

jobrando#216494 writes:

If this team stops our run then -------HELP

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Nothing like Doolittle stating the obvious...When you're 105th in the nation in rushing and playing a hand picked cupcake..I'll bet you want to run the ball...Would have thought the same against juggernauts Montana and Cincy...Better run now because it ain't happening with Doolittle the rest of October.

Pullingguard writes:

Geeze, so Dooley and Chaney want a better running game.. Well, what has everyone been saying since the season began.. Just glad they finally got on board with the real needs of the team...Now, do they have anyone capable of really teaching the technique of being a successful running back..

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We had 7 comments so far.............

2 trolls. Not bad, usually at least 50 % are trolls.

So, we always know what trolls will be here,
we can count on Bodeane ( copycat of the real Bodean ) and the pitiful Packer troll.

Hey, since I never read their garbage, have they changed any? Just saw the names so assumed same old troll talk.

Packer/CSS/Cantcompare/ProfessionalHandicapper/
Bodeane/DonCordeleone-Godfather/Volzfan..........

which troll name will you choose tomorrow? Curious as to how you got by KNS security to create so many names.

Wait, Friday is payday..........they'll
have your check ready.

HtownVol writes:

I see the headline and all I can say is..."ya dont think?"
Is there a Vol fan that doesnt want them to run the ball better? Especially when our O-Line is full of 4 star recruits and High School All-Americans.
But hey, we can always go to the Ol Ball Coach of the 90's style. Pass,pass,pass.

GO VOLS!

Theo writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

You've obviously not been in our stadium.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Orange A Holic,

Priceless. You described Bodeane and her buddy, Marlon Brando/Packer.... perfectly.

Cannot agree more............

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

in response to ABtheVolFan92:

Hahaha well, the Lord has bigger things to worry about, so you might want to get your priorities in order. I think this team could go 7-5 with a few breaks their way. If we go 6-6 and win our bowl I would take it at this point.

10ECDave writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Well make it 37K and one, because I'm coming to the game. It might be 37K and two, if I can get me brother away from Hooter's! LOL!

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to GiveHim6TDTennessee:

Who's a troll...These are trolls...People who claim to be loyal Vols and then say they'll be happy with 6-6 and give blind allegiance to a losing coach that will never deliver better than 6-6...Even though the UTAD gave him 4 hand-picked cupcakes

underthehill writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

100 % correct..NO scheme changes means being predictable ..might could do this with Lewis and Travis Henry..I don't see anyone looking like them right now playing for the VOLS..I still think with the Fla score 7-0 and TN 3rd and 1 early in then game we would have been better off to throw a play action pass than to run the middle for a loss and miss a field goal...the play calling last year was better than this year so far..

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to Theo:

You've obviously not been in our stadium.

Sure he has. Little brown guy. Usually seen around the toilets. Moves in a circular motion. GO VOLS!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to snuffysmiff:

I know what you mean Snuffy. I'm a depression baby so I'm not still wet behind the ears. I was really hoping to see the vols stand tall this year. and I don't think they are all that bad. The hunter injury took the Pee out of them for a while, but that was one of their hero's and they are young. I still think we have a running game it just hasn't jelled and I think we will win two games this month.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Actually 5 handpicked cupcakes....you forgot to count VANDY

VolinCalif writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Are you saying we have 63,000 students at UT and they all go to the football game?
Sick

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Pee Pee the only obvious thing that shows up on this board is your neg. comments.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

By the way, you never answered me. Did you have dreams of becoming a sports writer before you flunked out of high School?

Voluvr writes:

WELL...the heading doesn't match the story. I'll respond to the heading...we might have to give a look to some other backs. Marlin Lane, Neal, and what happened to Fugate?

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

hire a running backs coach! how many times do I have to say it, the position is open to fill, no running backs coach on sideline during game, chaney is in pressbox

VolGrad writes:

Breaking News!!! We want to...

RUN BETTER!!!

:D Go Vols!

hglover40#234154 writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Yea - FANS get over excited about their teams and sometimes get disappointed. I compared the rosters before the game and the gators had more depth and the average * of their starters was better than UT - being a fan I still picked UT 31-30 that was from the heart - In my mind I figured FL by 7.
Anyway Muschamp and Dooley both appear to be good coaches, Muschamp inheried more talent.
I think they both know something about football and neither are idoits - they both worked for Saban for years and he don't tolerate idiots - unlike us poor fools who have to listen to packer and the likes.
Anyway we will be happy with 6-6 or 7-5 this year and be loyal to OUR coach until he has gotten at least 4 good years of recruiting in to see what he can do.

IT IS THE REASONABLE approach for a GOOD FAN.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to hglover40#234154:

IT IS THE REASONABLE approach for a GOOD FAN.

I am a VOL fan and a realist. We will be lucky to go 6-6. We will likely win one game in October, Buffalo. SC, Alabama will kill us, GA might. Dooley will never be given 4 years to "turn it around".

oldster writes:

I cannot figure out if the problem with our line is coaching of technique, coaching of scheme, physical skill or mental acuity. The technique issues may be related to drive blocking with hands instead of shoulders. That allows or demands that one become more erect while blocking than blocking with one's shoulder. Our guys certainly do seem to have similar body positions when run blocking to when pass blocking (upright). The schemes seem to be very, very vanilla. Perhaps they pull, cross, etc. than I have noticed, but it seems mostly to be straight ahead. The one time I noticed a pull was when the puller had a man head up who then followed him and tackled the back in the backfield (bad coaching or mental issues). Our linemen may just be too laid back. On the other hand, is it possible that we are just not recruiting smart enough people to play the line. Offensive linemen are usually the second smartest people on the team. However, in recent history we found that ours could not handle flip flopping whereas Arkansas' linemen seem to handle it well enough as did the guys I played with in the service.

oldster writes:

in response to ABtheVolFan92:

AB, you should lower your expectations. 6-6 will be a great season for what we have. With Hunter 8-4 would have been great, but without him 6-6 would be great and 5-7 more likely.

oldster writes:

in response to underthehill:

Could it be that our players are not smart enough to handle more complex schemes?

oldster writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

Actually 5 handpicked cupcakes....you forgot to count VANDY

Vandy does not appear to be a cupcake this year.

oldster writes:

in response to Voluvr:

I thought it might be a good idea to play with both Fugate and Bartholomew in the backfield together. Both block better than any of the tailbacks and catch the ball as well. Then I remembered what a black, scholarship player friend of mine told me in the 80's: there would be no more white running backs at UT because the coaches fear that it would have an adverse effect on recruiting.

govolsn3 writes:

oldster writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Merl, 5-7 is certainly not ignorant. We will beat Buffalo, Middle, and KY. We have a chance against Vandy, but not like usual unless they have more injuries. We will not - not beat anybody else. That comes to 6-6 at best and 5-7 as possible. I will pray for more. Miracles do happen.

usafvol writes:

in response to CantCompare:

You really should find another team to root for. How about Fla, they're undefeated right now; isn't that what you "Band Wagon" guys are all about?

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to RockyToptoNeyland:

I'm with you..looks like the coaches must think it's the line and not the RB's or they would have gone out and hired the best RB coach available yesterday. This high school level opponent Saturday is not going to indicate anything unless it's no run again.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

what a great description of what goes on here... I have a suggestion for KNS......>>>>Divide the post into two columns. Every time the word troll is mentioned post that on the right side and all other post by folks that dont take the troll bait to the left. That would minimize their post on left. This particular article is full of troll and walleye post.

maciste54 writes:

Regarding the title of the article: Ya think ????????

SoddyVol writes:

I'm interested in seeing what they do with the passing game now. Sort of expect a pleasant surprise in using all the potential they have available but the offensive line must improve over what we saw at Florida.

usafvol writes:

in response to CantCompare:

jobrando#216494 writes:

Just got a 4* commit this morning out FL for Dline(trent Taylor)

tennrich1 writes:

in response to ABtheVolFan92:

I strongly suggest severe counselling and maybe an abrupt change in lifestyle...I mean..like immediately...I love Vols sports...But having a balance is crucial....If its not fun why participate???

MusicCityVol writes:

The Vols will win if they show up on Saturday. If they don't find a way to run the ball though, they may not win another game in October. Brutal schedule. This program desperately needs a signature win.

Dooley Searching for Signature Win

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

If that was the case they couldn't pass the entrance exam..when you are overmatched in talent you can't get momentum with the old football saying you have to run the ball to win..they only look at the score not how it got there..I'd take the Mike Leach (Texas Tech) approach with this team and run only when they expect it the least..

ROCKYTOP10ECVOL writes:

Did anyone else hear about the Vols flipping 4* DE T. Taylor away from The U. It's up ou Scout. Just saw it and thought yall might be interested to know. This is a big help, D-Line is our #1 need w/o any doubt. Go Big Orange!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to CantCompare:

You got to be patient. I'm not happy with the output either but let it play out. One more year at 6-6 or worse and then a dramatic increase will be needed next year for Mr Hart to sit idling and doing nothing. The bottom line is always about filling seats. Empty seats = coaching change.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Just got a 4* commit this morning out FL for Dline(trent Taylor)

GaytaZ says Florida didn't want him

usafvol writes:

in response to CantCompare:

So, Dooley's had 1 year to recruit, coached us for a total of 16 games with a record of 8 & 8 and it's all just gonna get worse according to you. O.K. genius; why don't you tell the rest of us how this is all his fault and how "YOU" would fix this..

usafvol writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Very well said brother. "Fans" like that are worse than the bottom feeding trolls that frequent "our" site..

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

GaytaZ says Florida didn't want him

what about Miami, Florida State or South FL?

SeminaryVol writes:

Would it be nice to run better? Sure, but I don't see it happening and I don't know why everyone is so worried about it. Let's do what works and go with it. If the o-line can pass block, Bray can sling it around the field, and the receivers can get open and catch without us running well then so be it! It is an antiquated notion that you have to run to be effective as an offense. Very few NFL teams in today's game look to run first. Its all about finding favorable match ups on the field in whatever way you can get them. This romantic notion of "toting the rock" sounds a lot like WWI generals yelling "over the top, boys!" in the face of murderous machine gun fire while the tanks and planes sit in the sidelines and watch from afar.

orangecountyvols writes:

NavalOrange and USAFVol,

Thank you guys for some sanity here. N O, you hit it 100% when you mentioned how the trolls take their shots at the University of Tennessee,
whine about the 'way it used to be' X number of years ago...........with coaches who are gone and gone forever.

Next, they whine and blast the current coaching staff who were all left in a no choice but rebuild state, and expect a 12-0 record immediately.

Most ridiculous of all.........is the "we, us, our" farce we keep hearing from these trolls.
There are the parasites, mainly Florida bandwagon fans, who Tennessee has wrapped around its finger, inasmuch as they cannot leave, they're powerless to root for their "own" team. Instead,
these trolls crave any attention they can get, even at the expense of ignoring their "own" teams, if there are such teams.

Keep on keeping on N O, thanks to you and the real Vol fans........they know who they are.

As for the trolls, we and they........
know who they are.

Go Vols !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voloyalty writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Wyoming was a cupcake, so Fulmer once thought.