Justin Hunter's knee surgery a success

Sophomore receiver expected to participate in spring practice

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11) celebrates a touchdown on a 33-yard pass from quarterback Tyler Bray during Saturday's 45-23 victory over Cincinnati at Neyland Stadium)

The University of Tennessee athletic department announced today that sophomore wide receiver Justin Hunter underwent successful surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee. Hunter suffered the injury during the first quarter of Tennessee’s game at Florida on September 17.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Greg Mathien and Dr. Russell Betcher of the Knoxville Orthopedic Clinic at UT Medical Center. Hunter is expected to return in time to participate in spring practice.

A 6’4, 200-pound receiver from Virginia Beach, Va., Hunter has 17 receptions for 314 yards and two touchdowns this season in three games. In 16 games played over two seasons with the Vols from 2010-11, he has 33 catches for 729 yards and nine touchdowns.

HallowedHill writes:

Good luck and God speed, Justin!

GO VOLS!

armyvol22 writes:

Hope you have a fast recovery.

tulelakevol writes:

Get well soon brother!!

HtownVol writes:

I really see this as a wake up for Hunter and he will work even harder to become the best WR in the SEC next season.
I do have to throw Alshon Jeffrey in the mix. Those 2 are just far above anyone else in the SEC. Ark has a good trip but no one as good as Hunter and Alshon.
Imagine if Kiffin didnt mess up on the gas pumper. Alshon,Hunter and DaRick. Could have possibly been the best trio (dare I say) ever...in college football.
But hey we still have DaRick Arnett and Dallas, perhaps Milton can wake up also.
Next season I hope Bowles is a diaper dandy, I mean a impact WR and the other 2 commits we have.
We will certainly have a number of highly recruited WRs, we just need a couple more of them to take the next step.
Now maybe we can start getting that D-Line. That is the ONE major area we have to add to to complete this team.
The QB,WR,RB,OL and TE are set and only need to keep the depth steady
On Defense LB is looking very good, especially if we keep Santos, DB is looking very promising also. Just need the D-LINE!!
Sorry to get on a recruiting discussion, I guess it is because I thought WR was the one area that UT was set at. It turns out that losing the leader of that group reveals just how inexperienced we are at that position.
Get well Hunter! Own the SEC and everything else in 2012!
GO VOLS

Prostar writes:

Mend fast and mend well. I truly hope our S&C coach can build his knee stronger than ever. We will miss you but you are in our thoughts and prayers.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

Hopefully he will be ready in time for Alabama.

I thought I read in an earlier article on GVX that Hunter had torn both his ACL AND his MCL. Didn't see any mention of that in this article. Does anybody else remember that? In any case, I join everybody else in wishing Justin a speedy, complete recovery and a dominant season in 2012. In the meantime, this is a golden opportunity for one or more of the rest of the WR's to step up to the big time. Let's see what ya got, guys.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to FLORIDAGATORHATER:

Hopefully he will be ready in time for Alabama.

Only if you mean Alabama 2012.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor would kiss knee if it make it never have happened.
Bones never lie.

CarlChilders writes:

Great news, not only for UT but for this young man's future.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to johnlg00:

That was Britt with the Titans. Clean ACL with Hunter. Probably minimal meniscus damage since it was a non-contact injury with no knee twisting or bone damage. He will be back good as new if he gets over the fear factor and trusts it. Mathien is a great surgeon. He did my ACL reconstruction and that knee is stronger than the other one.

givehim6 writes:

Prayers are with you buddy.

finn writes:

Good luck, Justin. I hope you come back better than ever.

TNboy72 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You are correct. Originally they announced ACL and MCL. Maybe they got in there and it (MCL) was fine or it's just a partial and doesn't need repair...

seadaddy writes:

Best of luck Justin and here hoping for a speedy recovery

ABtheVolFan92 writes:

It makes me sick to think what we could have been this year.. but on the brightside there is still time to prove we are back, I personally guarantee a win over LSU.. I just feel it.

orangecountyvols writes:

Johnlg, H-Town, and other Vols.....

Very good assessments.

Go Vols

Theo writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I read the same thing but since then only the ACL has been mentioned in any other articles. Wonder which is correct.

underthehill writes:

in response to ABtheVolFan92:

Winner of Alabama and LSU may play for the National title..says many prognosticators ..but TN almost got em last year..who knows

AZ_Vol writes:

Get well kid.

clvolfan writes:

Get well Justin,looking forward to seeing you in 2012.

RockyTopVolFan writes:

Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery, Justin!

GO VOLS!

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

I believe since this was a non-contact injury Hunter will not have to overcome any fear of being hit. His competitiveness caused this injury. I watch the play over and over again and he appeared to be making a move to spin in an attempt to get after the catch yardage. If he had just rolled to the ground with the catch the injury probably never happens. If he has to overcome anything it will be an impulse to get down on the ground rather than going for the additional yardage. It really is modern Medicine that even allows him to comeback. This injury was career ending in the not to distant past. Now days, the surgery leaves the knee almost as good as it started.

Simply_Orange51 writes:

Anyone notice 729 yards in 33 catches? That's 22.1 yards per catch average - at 16 games - that works out to around 45.6 yards per game and more recently (last three) averaging around 105 yards per - that's a big chunk of yardage to make up by committee - perhaps as much as 20 to 25% of the offense's total output per game. Impressive statistics. Like every else on this thread Justin - get well soon - you're an important cog in the Vol offense.

bearbull95#206250 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Hearing from someone else who had the same surgery for the same thing from the same surgeon is reassuring. Here's to a speedy recovery, Justin and an even stronger knee than before!

skm writes:

do what the docs and rehabbers say and you'll be well on your way to a speedy recovery, justin. it can only assist in healing that you are one of the best athletes we've ever had on the hill! good luck! we are not the same without you!!

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

i agree 100% we got some good doc's here.

Volunatic writes:

Dr. Mathien and Dr. Betcher are the best knee guys around.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Justin!

Hounddog writes:

Does anyone know if I can watch Sat game with AT &T u-Verse? Hounddog

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Get well soon Justin!

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor would kiss knee if it make it never have happened.
Bones never lie.

In that case, would you please kiss my ex wife. I wish she had never happened LOL

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

Witch Doctor say if that worked Witch Doctor wife have my lips all over her face! lol
Bones never lie.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to HtownVol:

The QB,WR,RB,OL and TE are set and only need to keep the depth steady
Get well Hunter! Own the SEC and everything else in 2012!
GO VOLS

Your prayers are being answered. Trent Taylor, a 4* DE just committed to the Vols. He was previously committed to UM, but he decommitted today and comitted to the Vols. The coaching staff knows what they are doing. We will have a solid team year in and year out for a long time if we retain this coaching staff. A big upset here and there, and we will have all the commitments we need. We almost have them regardless.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Hope she doesn't read that WD. Witch Doctor might not be able to post for many moons.

Go4Two writes:

Spring is really quick.. good luck

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

WD - if we're not careful, we may have to set up a kissing booth/tent for you on Cumberland Avenue every Saturday that TN plays a home game. ;)

allvol8 writes:

in response to Hounddog:

Does anyone know if I can watch Sat game with AT &T u-Verse? Hounddog

Sorry.no it's on CSS

volsgirl writes:

I'm so sorry Justin ...speedy recovers and see you next year......Go Vols

in response to RoadTrip:

Thanks for the info. I don't follow the Titans that closely, so I don't know how I might have confused the stories, but at my advancing age, I find myself doing that a lot these days(;-P). Very glad to hear the positive prognosis for a complete, speedy recovery for Hunter and glad to hear your recovery was successful.

PS: Thanks to the other posters who helped assure me, by confirming mention of the MCL in some articles about Hunter, that I haven't completely lost my mind just yet! Go Hunter! Go Vols!