Two weeks later, Dooley vows to play Devrin Young against Buffalo

Devrin  Young

Devrin Young

When it came time to finally make a decision, Devrin Young wasn’t quite ready for a debut.

Now with two extra weeks of work to his credit since being cleared for contact and making himself an option on special teams, the freshman from Bearden is poised to at last step on the Tennessee stage.

After some indecision about using Young at the first opportunity at No. 12 Florida, Derek Dooley left little doubt about his intentions with a second chance to turn him loose in a non-conference date with Buffalo at Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: CSS, 12:30 p.m.).

“We’re going to play Devrin, we’re going to play Devrin,” the Vols coach said after practice on Wednesday morning. “He’s going to get an opportunity to get out there, and we’ll see how he looks, how he feels, and how he does (decides) how much.”

After not getting any action against the Gators following his first week as a full practice participant since fracturing his collarbone before training camp, Young is slated to finally get some and make an appearance the Vols (2-1, 0-1 SEC) have been waiting to see.

Dooley didn’t tip his hand on any specific plans for Young, and he wouldn’t even indicate whether UT would use him on kickoffs or punt returns — or both. The Vols have him listed at each position on their updated two-deep as they prepare for the Bulls (1-3, 0-1 MAC), but all that really seems certain at this point is Young will get more chances than he had against the Gators.

“Well, he had never practiced, that was really the first week he was back, so he hadn’t been hit,” Dooley said. “I mean, he hadn’t practiced a lot of catching, he didn’t know our stuff. It sounds good, just throw him in there and see what happens, but it’s not fair to the player to put him out there before I think he’s ready.

“We feel like he’s got enough work in to go do the things we’re asking him to do. We’ll see. He’s going to play, I know you guys want to know how we’re playing him, but we’re going to figure that out on Saturday.”

The Vols have him bracketed with fellow freshman Marlin Lane at the top of the depth chart for both kickoffs and punts, and while Dooley and special teams coordinator Eric Russell weren’t divulging much information, there appears to be one less guy standing in the way of playing time for Young.

With wide receiver Justin Hunter out for the season after tearing ligaments in his knee, UT looks as though it will be cautious with its other big target and no longer use Da’Rick Rogers to bring back kickoffs. And if Young is able to provide the kind of production it anticipated when it signed him, there might not be a need to consider moving Rogers back to that role again, either.

“I just want to see Devrin come out and catch it, run fast and where he’s supposed to without the hesitation and the doubt,” Russell said. “Run with conviction and let’s see what you can do, kid.

“I don’t think the Swamp is where you want to throw a guy in to get his first hit in college football. And the situation, he’s never been in that — this Buffalo game will be the biggest pressure situation he’s been in his whole life. We have no idea how he’ll react to that.”

The Vols have been waiting patiently to find out, and they’re expecting an answer shortly.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

maciste54 writes:

Get the danged ball to the danged playmakers !

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

I hope Lathers is back by the Georgia game. If Devrin can run the kick offs, perhaps he can take a few shots at running back if Poole's season seems to remain so dismal. I already have the X box hooked up to the television for ESPN3 on Saturday.

Volunatic writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

I think ESPN3 is blocked out for this game for ISPs in Knoxville.

letsgoUT writes:

So excited to see Devrin play. Let's bounce back Volunteers!

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I think ESPN3 is blocked out for this game for ISPs in Knoxville.

I live in Middle Georgia. lol. Sorry. I actually did think about driving up for the game though.

Voloyalty writes:

Please refrain yourself from replying to Packer_Park_Orange's soon to be negative post. If we keep ourselves from doing so, he will eventually go away. We have to treat Packer_Park_Orange like the child he is. His only friends are those who respond to him...I know, I am guilty too. Ignore him.

Gmoney58 writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

I agree 100%...I am also guilty of responding, but no longer

lomas98 writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

I have said that same thing for over a year, but it does no good. There will be a reply in less than 3 posts to his.
It sounds like Lathers will not be available for the GA game if will not be a full participant in practice for a couple of weeks. We really need his speed in there as this is the slowest LB corp I ever remember seeing at TN. Hopefully Young can make a big difference in the return game, but hopefully he isn't returning too many kickoffs against Buffalo since that would mean they are scoring.

Ironcity writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

Unfortunately I have hard Lathers will be lucky to play by November much less UGA. Even if he comes back I wouldn't expect much with him basically being off 10 months from contact. Not sure he could but I would like to see him get a medical redshirt and allow him to play with AJ Johnson in the middle next year and not have to play another freshman or an inferior player such as Probst as a starter next year and the year after.

Timbo_Slice writes:

in response to TheBlue:

Two things...1)Devrin Young is NOT Jamal Lewis! 2)DY is coming off an injury and playing in his first college game. The Swamp is not the place to break in a freshman coming off an injury. Makes much more sense to get his feet wet against an opponent such as Buffalo.

kevin151 writes:

I'm anxious to see Young play... My friend compared him to Demps or Rainey and I laughed. We will just have to see

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to TheBlue:

Why not have him play during Buffalo?? I would rather see what he can do against easier compeition before throwing him to the wolves of the SEC.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Timbo_Slice:

Witch Doctor say you nailed it. Witch Doctor welcome to board.
Bones never lie.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

I'll do my best to ignore him, but sometimes he just begs to be put in his place. I guess someone else can handle that duty today.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I think ESPN3 is blocked out for this game for ISPs in Knoxville.

what about in Missouri? do you know sir?

voloffaith writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say you nailed it. Witch Doctor welcome to board.
Bones never lie.

This is a revision as I remember this poster name from the past. There was a player in Arena football who had this as his name on back of jersey. He made an NFL roster and played with same name then. So way back HHM existed in blog land only to reemerge with variation of such. So welcome back Mr. Kotter.......

On topic,hope Devrin does well. As stated ealier we don't want many kickoffs as that would be sign of Vols giving up points. Punt returns a different story altogether.

voloffaith writes:

in response to voloffaith:

earlier makes a whole lot more sense than "ealier".

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to voloffaith:

It wasn't Arena football, but the infamous XFL that let players use whatever name on the jersey they wanted. The new poster stated recently that he has not had an acct previously, so why doubt him?

Timbo_Slice writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say you nailed it. Witch Doctor welcome to board.
Bones never lie.

Great compliment coming from the Witch Doctor!!

Best of luck to this "Young" man! Hope he plays well.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict:

UT Vols 40
B Bulls 14

ClemCash writes:

This is looking more and more like a Mickey Mouse operation. And Dooley is Walt Disney.

voloffaith writes:

P_P_O who I unaffectionately refer to as SYBIL due to a(apparently) multiple personality disorder being in fool force here. That brings a new meaning to ,"can't WE ALL just get along?"

I try to be civil and all I get is the same ole drivel etc......so I'll try my meds for ignoring the 'trollodyte'.

voloffaith writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

************I sit corrected by the non-malevolent one known as T_R_O. I am not doubting,but it was used in some fashion in recent years by a poster. Obviously not the same poster or same usage of said posting name....

basketballfever writes:

in response to maciste54:

Get the danged ball to the danged playmakers !

Per Bobby Bowden, it's "dadgum"....get the dadgum ball to the dadgum playmakers....

Volunatic writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

Very good. Glad you'll be able to catch the game even in "enemy territory", although it would be awesome if you get a chance to come on up to Knoxville and holler for the Vols in person.
GO VOLS!!!

10ECDave writes:

Dooley said he hadn't been hit, he don't know our stuff, and it was his first week of practice!! You don't throw someone in a game, a big game, with only a week of practice! Read the article before you post.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

what about in Missouri? do you know sir?

I'd say you'll probably be able to get that game on ESPN3, or possibly even on ESPN GameDay if you know someone who subscribes to that.

Volunatic writes:

in response to ClemCash:

So you're saying that Dooley will be wildly successful in all of his endeavors. Excellent.

jdisintn writes:

My grandson went to H.S. with Devrin and can't wait to see him play. Wishing you the best Devrin and go VOLS !

rockytopjeff writes:

On a different note. I live in the same city that A.J. Johnson came from and we have another kid from here that committed to The Vols. This was in this weeks paper. The future is bright as this kid is a stud.

Volunatic writes:

in response to rockytopjeff:

Awesome-- thanks for the link.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to ClemCash:

and you are Goofy

rtrchatt writes:

DY is ready. Buffalo, Maryville/Farragut about the same. Good luck young man and enjoy that buyout win vol nation.

allvol8 writes:

in response to ClemCash:

And you're Goofy

Vol737 writes:

in response to kevin151:

Saw him play in HS. He's quick and has some moves, doubt he's near as good as Demps or Rainey. Hope he proves me wrong though.

pinesvol writes:

in response to TheBlue:

I don't remember the 200 yards so I'll take your word for it, but I clearly remember the VERY FIRST pass attempt against Ole Miss. Lewis was completely lost, resulting in a sack and near beheading of the QB (forget his name).

snakeplissken writes:

in response to CroatianVol:

After watching two of those teams play a couple games each and Arky once, 9-3 is is a very good probability. We might even give LSU and Bama a good scare.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

I got two good seats if you drive up, what part of Middle Georgia?

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

You better unhooked it and hooked it up to CSS are you will be watching another game. It is on CSS at 12:30pm

seadaddy writes:

in response to Gmoney58:

I agree 100%...I am also guilty of responding, but no longer

You can hurt old pack my beans- park-orange by not replying to his nitwit remarks and not giving him or is shem, the attention it seeks!
To bad KSN doesn't have an ignore button,but then again old pack my beans just maybe a KNS employee?????

MothershipChip writes:

in response to rockytopjeff:

Thanks for the link I am looking forward to seeing that young man getting it done for the Big Orange.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

Are you speaking of PackerPickleSlurper?...aka John Adams?

VolGrad writes:

in response to TheBlue:

He is setting him up for success. He should be able to get in there and gain some confidence going forward.

GBO!

VolGrad writes:

in response to rockytopjeff:

As impressive as he looks, he sounds even better. You'd think he was related to Eric Berry with the maturity level and how he expresses himself. He doesn't sound like a 17 or 18 year old kid.

daniellovesutfootball writes:

in response to Juzkruzin:

I saw it listed last night on espn3's page as being one of the games they'll have playing, which I hope remains to be true. I mentioned in another post that I get tired of hearing it on the radio lol.

keviningeorgia writes:

“I think he’ll come back, but if he doesn’t, he’s definitely not done playing football,” a source close to Brown said.

This quote is about Bryce Brown who has not reported back to K State practice since being pulled out of the 2nd half of the Miami game for missing a pass block.

I guess Dooley had this poor child figured all wrong too didn't he trolls? You know, Dooley who don't know how to handle a blue chip player.

Let's see, since this Kiffin blue chipper transferred from Tn to K State, he's gained 16 total yards totin' the ball. I guess Bill Snyder don't know how to handle them blue chippers either, ehhh?

VOLliven2it writes:

I just want to see the young man play. I don't care if it is a team from Mars. I don't care about why he did not play at FL. I want to see him have a chance to make a big play and then do it again and again and again. The drivel on here is astounding. GO VOLS!

seadaddy writes: