Cuonzo Martin not distracted by Bruce Pearl's presence

Cuonzo Martin accepted the head coaching position for the Tennessee men’s basketball program on March 27, but for a variety of reasons former Vols coach Bruce Pearl has been making more headlines.

Martin hasn’t noticed, nor does he seem to care. In fact, Martin wasn’t even sure why anyone would seem to think it would be an issue for him.

When asked if Pearl’s decision to remain in Knoxville as Vice President for wholesaler HT Hackney was a potential distraction, Martin replied, “That’s kind of a crazy question.’’

Martin said he appreciates the sensitivity Tennessee fans have for the challenges he faces in replacing Pearl, but his no-nonsense approach doesn’t allow for distractions.

“Who am I to say where someone else lives?” Martin said. “I like Coach Pearl and I’m happy with the success he had and we want to springboard off of that success.

“I feel our fans support the program, I’m happy to be a part of Tennessee basketball, and Bruce Pearl is a part of the Tennessee family and we embrace that.’’

Martin, who has been out of town recruiting this week, said he has no interest getting caught up in anyone else’s business.

“It’s not a distraction at all,’’ he said. “I’m running practices, recruiting and handling my business.

“I’m consumed with our players and our program being successful, and that’s all.’’

The Vols are in the team individual drills portion of their preseason preparation and are allowed two hours of supervised court time each week.

Tennessee men's basketball begins full-time practice on Oct. 14.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

samvol writes:

Go ZO....Go Vols....

westknoxrepub writes:

You can't really fault Pearl for wanting to live in Knoxville with children still in school, so Martin is correct and the caller is wrong.

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

Coach Martin has stepped into a difficult situation, but he'll be judged by his success or failure.

I'm glad Coach Pearl is staying in our community. I'm bothered that he has embarrassed my alma mater, but that wasn't his intention. We all make mistakes.

Both coaches are good men and good citizens.

Go Vols!

samvol writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

Both coaches are good men and good citizens.

Go Vols!

how is bald face lying a mistake.

jone8191#247590 writes:

I'm still not on board completely with the new coach but if he coaches half as good as he handled that trick question, there should be some fun times ahead. If that UT doesn't work out, coach Martin should try politics. I haven't heard a Presidential candidate answer a tough question that eloquently yet. GBO!

Ayres_Hall writes:

Idiot fans are confused. That's all.

voloffaith writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

"had a constitutional right to lie,....." Spandex is not out of style as this stretch shows. Everybody doing it doesn't make it legal or moral. Agreed that this is a practice that many partake of evidenced by the "HAND" of nc2A getting slap happy with several institutions with ours being one of them sadly.

Volfantm writes:

Pearl's assistants seem to be the ones damaged the most. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebaske...

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Volfantm:

Witch Doctor say Ms. Shay sounds like Volldoll(??)
Lol.
Bones never lie.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to samvol:

how is bald face lying a mistake.

its not a mistake he came forward and admitted it
took his punishment

move on, everyone else has

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Winning and great recruiting will get peoples minds off Pearl and strictly on UT Basketball. Coach Martin knows what he's doing. It's going to take him a few years to get there. As long as he is showing progress people should support him. As for Pearl his time at UT was plush til he lied. But he landed in another plush job so it's not like he's out on the street struggling.He has a right to live where ever he wants too.

Ironcity writes:

in response to voloffaith:

What I don't think you and many on this board understand is that to some degree every team that is trying in basketball and football is cheating. The question is are you upset we got caught or are you delusional in thinking we are capable of following the silly rules that are in the NCAA manual?

Do you believe that the $50/$100 handshakes doesn't exist or do you believe that the star running back for Alabama can afford a $50,000 car with no job? Maybe you believe that if the coach keeps his head in the sand then he can't be held accountable. The fact is in this billion dollar industry their is a lot of cheating going on and UT does no more or no less.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say Ms. Shay sounds like Volldoll(??)
Lol.
Bones never lie.

Oh no! Not another conspiracy theory.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to samvol:

how is bald face lying a mistake.

It was a pretty big mistake idiot...it cost him his job. That's a pretty big mistake in my book.
Apparently you've never told a lie or made a mistake. Good grief I digress....but you are indeed a idiot! GBO

theoldbear writes:

Frankly, when I retire as a pastor in December, I've been encouraged to move out of the community and stay away from the church.

Bruce Pearl should have gotten the same advice. In fact, I might have made it a condtion of his "buy out" if I'd been AD. But then who was the AD then, anyhow?

Can't remember. Sounded like the name of where I used to bank when I was at UT. It wasn't Home Federal or Park National. Oh well, I'm old, I forget.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Idiot fans are confused. That's all.

Wrong. They are not confused. They are just trouble making attention seekers.We have Some of the most stupid fans and trolls in America.
It amazes me how some people know everything to know about a football or basketball player,who to recruit and who not to recruit and if a coach will or will not be successful before they are given time to prove himself one way or another.None of us know how a Coach or recruit will turn out until they have been given time to prove what they can do.People that pretend to be such experts are the ones that are the least informed.

As for trolls coming here and posting like they do only serves to prove that they are nothing but someone trying to make us fans mad.They are childish and and looking for attention. They want people to think they are intelligent when in fact,they are the oposite.

Let's start talking sports and leave the snot slinging,name calling out of the discussion.

Voluvr writes:

Unfortunate for the media who wants ratings and advertising....objective rrright.......Martin is calling the right play here...the high road!

UCFgradVOLatHEART writes:

Im not even on the coaching staff, and Pearl's presence is distracting me.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to theoldbear:

probably a good thing you retired.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to theoldbear:

sounds like you needed to get away from that church anyway.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

this will be a long year for mens basketball in fact a long 3-4 years until this coach goes...martin aint got it

clvolfan writes:

in response to VOLinCockCuntry:

And so is it in probably all the elected politicians we sent to DC..Sorry to say,but apparently they set the standards.

GerryOP writes:

Barnum, or was he Bailey, is gone. Cuonzo Martin brings a breath of fresh air to our basketball program. He is stabilizing our program and he brings a fresh message of hard work, effort, and excellance, so we should let him see if his message and approach produces victories.

I loved what Coach Pearl did for our basketball program, but he stepped over the line bringing shame and embarrassment to our baskeball program ... and ... OUR University of Tennessee. It's time to move on.

Go Zo! Show us what you can do! Go Vols!

GreerVol22 writes:

I would say Pearl is a distraction to everyone except Martin at this pont. Martin can't afford him to become one if he takes this job seriously. ..and no, not everyone is lying and cheating. Otherwise Austin Peay would have been the best team in the state.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

The only HCiW I am aware of is employeed by the University of Florida under the guise of a Head Football Coach.

Thank you for your contribution.

BTW, who is "we?"

iowavol writes:

in response to samvol:

how is bald face lying a mistake.

The fact you asked the question indicates any reasonable answer will be beyond your comprehension.

Best of luck to both Coach Martin and Coach Pearl - two good men.

nomietn#281095 writes:

Bruce is a problem and will continue to be a problem. This is a man who requires a lot of attention and has very poor judgment.Think back on his public demonstrations of both. Ejected from a high school game for being a disruptive jerk. Insisting on hosting a recruiting cook out just to show off his new home and wife to high school kids and their parents. Knowingly breaking rules to impress people. Posing for a photo that would prove his violation. Telling a cover up lie. Making a telephone call to the father of a lost recruit thinking he would be disposed to join in the lie (unbelievably stupid). Yes, he will be problem.

Madkels writes:

I don't know Coach Martin, but I do like his approach and answers to these questions. Sounds like he has his priorties in line and is not going to allow "drama" to affect him or the players.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Oh no! Not another conspiracy theory.

Witch Doctor will be speaking on the "The problems with Lunar landings" at the TPAC next weds. Witch Doctor expect you to be there with aluminum foil on! lol
Bones never lie.
*does sound like her though

TinsleyLA77 writes:

Just think, the people that post comments on this website are the same people that get called on to serve as "a jury of your peers".

That in itself should be incentive enough to everyone within Big Orange Country not break the law.

GONAVY writes:

Once the season starts there will be the unavoidable comparisons to Pearl- especially how successful Pearl was in his first year with bad Buzz recruits vs. how Martin is doing.Hopefully, the media will not reach out to Pearl for his "take" on Martin, etc. and most hopefully Pearl will not attempt to be visible during the season. I agree somewhat with another poster about Pearl's need for attention- that was/is obvious. Hopefully all attention will be focused on Martin and Martin alone as he begins to mold his own legacy with UT.

samvol writes:

in response to Others_Not_Receiving_Votes:

Bold face bald face, tomato tomoto…..who cares. I’m not perfect and yes I’ve told lies, but my lies have NEVER cost anyone their job. Oh and by the way, Pearl have told many many many lies..geeze when is it a lie and not a mistake…I’m done with this.

she's going out wit yo daddy foo

GoZO…GO Vols.

spfdmo writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

A comment based in complete ignorance. You'll be singing praises for the gift you received in a very soon time to come. This coach is superb.

allvol32 writes:

in response to TheKentuckyEffect:

"The Kentucky Effect?" Is that what you call it you own the longest losing streak by one team to another in college football? Now we have a name for it...thanks.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I don't know why we should read this ...other than to maybe find out about Martin's focus. I like his answer because it was a "crazy question" from a tabloid magazine type media.

in response to clvolfan:

The key statement in your post is "WE sent to DC"[emphasis added]. We prefer to be lied to because we as a nation can't stand the truth. We WANT politicians to "convince" us that we can have everything we want from government without paying for it [tax breaks or entitlements] or giving up our freedom [constant covert surveillance and a defense budget higher than the rest of the world put together] for it. Until "we the people" grow up, we DESERVE to be "led" by liars.