5 Big Things against Buffalo

Ja'Wuan James prepares for Buffalo's Khalil Mack

1. Arrive Early: And that includes you, Tennessee running game. A 12:30 kickoff requires efficient tailgating. You don't have all day to lollygag. Nor does the nation's 112th-ranked rushing attack. It would be reassuring for the Vols to prove they can move the pile from the get-go.

2. Buy a Program: UT is, as they say, a prohibitive favorite and coming off an open date. Look for Derek Dooley to see what some fresh faces can bring to the table. It could be Bryon Moore or Jordan Williams on defense, or Antonio Richardson or Tom Smith on offense.

3. Get Some Kicks: So far in 2011, special teams have, well, left room for improvement. Michael Palardy and Matt Darr are young but it's time to give the crowd a few ''oohs," and possibly even an "aah'' or two. And speaking of fresh faces, Devrin Young come on down.

4. Oskie, Anyone?: Vanderbilt has 13 more pass interceptions than Tennessee this season. For real. Look it up. Art Evans had a timely pick-six against Montana but the Vols are still looking for their second oskie of the season. UT is one of 19 schools with one or fewer interceptions. Somewhere, Eric Berry shakes his head.

5. Enjoy: The Vols face a brutal month. UT went 0-for-October last fall and it conceivably could happen again. In that light, carpe diem. You're not Memphis. You're not Ole Miss. Rock out.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

relentlesspursuitof98 writes:

It will be good to see what Arnett can do against a sub-par defense but I'd be happier with more Marlin Lane, early and often. GBO!

agentorange writes:

the new AD needs to make sure the Vols never schedule a team like Buffalo again. I can honestly say that, for the first time ever, I have zero interest in watching a Vols game. It is a meaningless, stat padding, record padding game.

chl1958 writes:

Please do not overlook this team or any team on our schedule! Let's play our best,and let the chips fall where they may.Just like in real life,doing your best is as good as it gets!

volinky writes:

Is Jordan Williams on the roster? I don't know who he is...???

GONAVY writes:

I turned down an offer for two tickets and a parking pass for two reasons: too far to drive for a 12:30 pm kickoff and the terrible quality of the substitute opponent. UT should be able to sleepwalk to a 40+ point win.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

well said bob

Voloyalty writes:

Packer_Park_Orange's Key to Success vs. Buffalo

1. Fire Dooley
2. Hire back Fulmer
3. Hire back Doug Dickey as AD
4. Dig up General Neyland and put him on the sidelines
5. Provide free admission to residence in Trailer Parks

voloffaith writes:

I'm a Vol fan and enjoy watching my team play. Sorry too far to come our boys play and cheer them on. "Zero interest" says it pretty much. Give ya half a brownie for being honest. Yes we all like marquee oppponents,but the schedules are what they are. Likem or don't you choose to support team or not. :) :) So we know we will agree to disagree on this one fellers and fellerettes. I'm here from South Carolina and ready for some 'slobber knockin' futbol! GO VOLS!!!

Volunatic writes:

"Oskie" doesn't just refer to interceptions. It refers to any turnover, when the defensive players have to completely change their outlook and become offensive players-- blocking and advancing the ball as much as possible.
The Vols did have another instance of that, a fumble returned 19 yards by A.J. Johnson.
I do agree that the Vols' secondary needs more interceptions, though.

Voloyalty writes:

I know I don't speak on behalf of all the Vol Nation but I for one am actually glad Buffalo is on the schedule versus UNC. The timing of this game could not be better. It gives Bray and all other recievers a chance to form some much needed chemistry now that Hunter is out, and work out some kinks before death row starts next week. I am looking forward to seeing what Devrin Young has to offer. It will also give UT a boost of confidence going into next week preparing for UGA. There is nothing like a beat down even against an inferior opponent to build confidence. The kinks we work out against Buffalo will be critcal to have a shot at UGA next week. I am not naive enough to believe that Buffalo is anywhere near the same competition as UGA but winning builds confidence, do not under estimate that especially with a team as young as UT. Go Vols!!!

Vol4EVA writes:

Go Big Orange! I'll hang up and listen to your comments...

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

I disagree with you. First of all, we've already played a couple of easy teams. Playing creampuffs like Buffalo only builds a false confidence after you beat them. North Carolina would have been a much better matchup as we start playing SEC teams next Saturday, because they would have given us enough competititon to see how we've progressed in line blocking and running the football, just to name a couple of things. Not only was it humiliating for the University of Tennessee to be afraid the play North Carolina, playing a glorified high school team like Buffalo will work against us.

OrangePride writes:

in response to agentorange:

Oh please! Get your head screwed back on and put some Orange in it this time. You act like this is the first team from the MAC the Vols ever played. What conference was N. Illinois and Ohio from? So stay home and do chores for your wife. In the meantime, the real Vol fans will either be at the game or watching it on the flat screen. GO VOLS!!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Playing Buffalo is a good thing. When Hunter went down, it knocked the wind out of our offense. This will help Stone get his rhythm back and get people off his back. It will let the line work on their blocking. It will help Brey and the receivers play without Hunter.

Voloyalty writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

What is wrong with playing a, "cupcake" from time to time when you have an SEC schedule like ours? Every powerhouse program schedules them i.e. Alabama, Florida. We play AUB, ALA, LSU, and ARK from the West this year!!! People who get all bent out of shape about scheduling weaker opponents are the same ones who whine when we lose to Oregon, California, and UCLA. Nebraska who plays a Big 10 schedule has Chattanooga, Fresno State, Washington, and Wyoming as thier 4 out of conference opponents. Guess what...Nebraska is ranked in the top 10 and I am sure nobody is complaining about that!!!

Voloyalty writes:

Nix Auburn from my previous post! Not sure what I was thinking.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

Remember, we've only played three games and two of the WERE cupcakes. And don't forget, we have three more cupcakes after this weekend.
My point was that to get ready to play SEC teams, playing yet another cupcake on the eve of the October schedule of SEC teams will not make our team better. If our players are not challenged such as they were against Florida, the weaknesses won't be exposed. Progression and improvement can't be properly evaluated against a Buffalo team.

AHoffman writes:

in response to Vol4EVA:

Go Big Orange! I'll hang up and listen to your comments...

Hope you enjoy the sounds of silence.

bigorange61 writes:

Some of you need to be reminded that lots of sports pundits picked Cincinnati to upset Tennessee. Calling Cincinnati a cupcake doesn't seem right to me.

allvols4life writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I do agree that the Vols' secondary needs more interceptions, though.

I thought that Oskie meant turnover in general and not just an INT. I also agree that we need more of both.

On another note...doe the author really think Tennessee will go 0 for October again with Buffalo starting the month?

VolGrad writes:

I had an especially immature and irritating student one time. Nothing I did seemed to change his behavior. In frustration, I finally just decided to do my best to ignore him and direct my attention fully on the other students....

Much to my amazement, he eventually shut up.

There are some people here whose mentality, and I use the term loosely, reminds me of THAT GUY.

Go Vols! Beat the Bulls!!!

VolGrad writes:

BTW KNS, Nice headline and story.

Go Vols!!!

allvols4life writes:

in response to bigorange61:

Yep. Agree.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I do agree that the Vols' secondary needs more interceptions, though.

I don't recall us using the term "oskie" for anything except interceptions... as a rule. If someone yelled, "oskie," the rest of us immediately looked in that direction (to confirm the pick) and started blocking. In the case of a fumble, that ("fumble") is what we said or heard; everyone would look to see where the ball was for the recovery, and we typically just covered it. But "oskie" was the term we yelled to let the defense know to start blocking.

With an interception, the defense has control of the ball (and shouting "oskie" was confirmation); everyone else needs to block. With a fumble, the possession is in question; everyone needs to focus on the recovery.

But, I guess some use it differently.

Go Vols!!!

agentorange writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

vol45 writes:

in response to agentorange:

Yes, I would have much rather been there when Neyland played Tennessee Tech, Chattanooga and other local powerhouses

agentorange writes:

in response to vol45:

We usually play one powder puff and one decent/good team. We've played Montana and Buffalo 2 of the past 4 weeks. UNC would have been a perfect matchup and UT wouldn't be giving away 10,000 tickets.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

The problem here is that some of the smart mouthed juvies from VN are allowed to post on this site. Go away children.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to bigorange61:

A lot of those same pundits picked us to beat Florida, too.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

A lot of those same pundits picked us to beat Florida, too.

Who?

69grad writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Sorry in advance, but I graduated from UT in '69 with a degree in English. The word is spelled moron. We are VOL brothers in arms.

Theo writes:

in response to agentorange:

I'll be there! Go Vols!

Dwinsgames writes:

Remember the "Bud" Commercials where the horse is hiking the ball.....The horse is better than Stone.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to bigorange61:

your right Cinncy was no cupcake;the vols just played a good game;especially Bray;Hunter and Rodgers

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to chl1958:

I agree most of our fans know nothing about Buffalo..For many years they were one of the worst teams in the FBS..Last year ranked 110..This year I put them around 65; and are 51 in overall defense..They have a rb just as good as Poole but the buffalo team speed is where we will hurt them most.Buffs QB is average at best and Bray will pretty much pick them apart..This game will go pretty much go like their Pittsburgh game..41 to 17

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to VolGrad:

But, I guess some use it differently.

Go Vols!!!

My team too. Thats also the way I have always coached it in MS and HS.

vol45 writes:

in response to agentorange:

Which one of these was the powerhouse, Tennessee Tech or Chattanooga?

IndianapolisVol writes:

All I ask is that we come out and play hard and hopefully come out with no injuries. No doubt we drill this team by at least 28 points, but let the people who doubt this team just leave all posts to their pathetic selves. Recruits do read this site and 100% support is needed at all times. In two years, we will be a powerhouse that no one will want to face. I do not drive every weekend to see my beloved team and hear this meaningless phooey about how we are bad....

IndianapolisVol writes:

And for God's sake, if you are a true fan, then you will you stay until the horn sounds at the end of the 4th quarter. This team puts their heart and souls into every game. A true fan should do the same.....

1986sugarbowl writes:

in response to Voloyalty:

I agree with you 100%. Given the circumstances, I think this is the best time for us to play someone like Buffalo. I can not imagine going into Georgia with out this game to work out some kinks. I just hope we can keep everyone else healthy, come out with a win and go into Georgia with confidence and a game plan!!

dalvol writes:

in response to 69grad:

Here in Texas, we jokingly use the word maroon in place of moron, i.e., "he's such a maroon!" Hope this helps! By the way, living in Texas, I would kill to be able to be at this game. I really miss watching the Vols play in person. Ya'll are just spoiled.
Go Vols!

DannyVol writes:

in response to bigorange61:

Amen. Some of these clowns needed to retire their orange gear after jumping on the bandwagon in 1998. Cincy is an average team with some dynamics on offense and we blew them out after being chosen as the upset alert game of the week.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

UT will win but I'm a little worried about the mocs.

BubbaJ writes:

in response to allvols4life:

The Vols should win 2 this October, Buffalo and Georgia being the most likely. Carolina is a possibility.

DarthVol writes:

The distance between us and buffalo (from a quality of team standpoint) is roughly about the same as the distance from us to Alabama. Using the aforementioned logic, the Tide fans should be rolling their eyes at having to play us. But it's football so I suppose Buffalo will show up to play and give a good effort today the same as us in October. And as long as Memphis '96 exists, I'll never assume a win or a loss.

So sit back and enjoy with either a $2 coke on a perfect day for football in the stands or a $1.10 beer at home in your favorite chair. Either way it's great to be a vol.

BuffaloGirl writes:

Good Grief! I hope nobody visiting from Buffalo reads this stuff. You sound like a bunch of arrogant, condescending, football snobs! Buffalonians willing to make the trip will be in enough culture shock when they see the "No Hand Guns Allowed" signs on the door of drinking establishment. They will probably have trouble finding Neyland Stadium having been blinded by all that orange. I was hoping the Tennessee that showed up for all the Buffalo visitors was the goosebump inducing, power-T forming, Proud to be a Vol Nation. I was hoping you would show them how College football was done-could be done. They are great football fans. They would have loved it.

DarthVol writes:

in response to BuffaloGirl:

The opinions expressed on this board are for entertainment purposes only.

BuffaloGirl writes:

????? I don't get it Darth Vol.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to BuffaloGirl:

Thats exactly who is gonna show up. You can't get too distracted by the opinions of a very few on this site...

Welcome to Knoxville, Buffalo fans!