Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma share big hug

In between signing autographs and attending the State Farm All-America team announcement on Saturday, Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt had a pleasant encounter with Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma at the Final Four in Denver.

UConn's open practice at the Pepsi Center preceded the All-America team announcement, which honored UT's Glory Johnson and nine other players. Auriemma made his way over to Summitt and the longtime coaching rivals shared a big hug and a conversation.

Auriemma shared the gist of their talk later with some sportswriters who cover the Huskies.

"We just kind of talked a little bit about her foundation and what (Big East associate commissioner) Danielle Donehew was doing for that and how I was happy that I got a chance to talk to Danielle about it early on when they first started the foundation,'' said Auriemma, referring to Summitt's foundation that supports Alzheimer's research and education.

"She pretty much expressed that she's doing great and she feels good, that she's under great care, that she's being taken care of by the best people. It was only a couple minutes, but I had told her that I'm sure that once the NCAA tournament is over, we'll get a chance to talk a little bit more."

Summitt was honored between Sunday's semifinal games along with other former U.S. Olympic team coaches.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

thevoice writes:

Glad to see that.

mdvol writes:

Hug??? April Fools!

orangecountyvols writes:

That's the way it should be.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

Maybe she is recruiting him to take her place?

volinlm writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Maybe she is recruiting him to take her place?

Doubt that. Just in case you're serious. Talk about adding insult to injury for UT fans.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I think that shows ol' Geno is not the vile human we make him out to be..Pat, you're the best.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

Another sign that the world is ending.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I think it shows that she will hug the vilest of humans.

ps11824 writes:

Life is fragile. Don't leave strings...

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to volinlm:

You have to lose the greatest coach ever, why is it so much insult to injury to replace her with the second greatest coach. Geno actually had Pat's number for the most part. I'd still put Pat 1st because she basicly invented women's basketball. Women's basketball at UT is in a unique situation that no other sport has ever been in. It's clearly the best job in the country. We don't have to go hire a Derek Dooley or someone who is unproven with a big time job. We should offer Geno as much as we can offer and at least make him tell us no.... Or we can just have the attitude that we can't hire this guy because he didn't bow down to Pat and used crooked recruiting tactics to get players from Pat during recruiting. I don't know about you, but I want someone like that on my team. I honestly think he might consider it if we did offer.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

I think it shows that she will hug the vilest of humans.

Now that was funny..

SterlingHuskies writes:

I'm willing to bet that Geno and Coach Summitt have more things in common than they have differences. Geno came from Italy as a child and it required a work ethic and toughness to become successful. That isn't so different than Coach Summitt leaving the farm and building a program at UT. If you think about that, then maybe you shouldn't be surprised that they could put aside their issues (whatever they might be) and be polite to each other.

murrayvol writes:

Nobody's ever as good or bad as they seem.

Vol43 writes:

in response to SterlingHuskies:

Gosh, that was well put. Good point. Very good point, but I still hate him. Well, maybe not so much.

ddt#1340890 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Always bear in mind that Geno hug her only because she caught him cheating and will not air his (and ESPN) involvement in a scandal that should cost him most of his victories. The most punishable of infractions is offering inducements. ESPN purposely gave the number 1 recruits private tours with employees at every turn telling them if they signed with UCONN that would be mentioned on Sports Center. That meant more to recruits than any amount of money anyone could offer. For that reason, I can never have anything good to say about UCONN or ESPN. They act like they do not know why Pat will not play him again when they know perfectly well they are responsible for it. Everyone keep this going forever so people will know his NCAA chaimpionships were won with fraud.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to Apex:

Women's recruiting used to be a pretty peaceful process especially compared to mens sports. But now it's become a crooked process like the rest of the sports are. That perhaps has hurt Summit lately because she doesn't play those games, but the girls are starting to either like those (recruiting)games or just fall for them. I've heard Summit complain in recent years that a commitment used to be a commitment but it's not anymore. I'm on planet winning championships and planet reality, and reality is that if you want to be the best program possible, a call to Geno must be made, or we can hire a good girl and be mediocre by our standards.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ddt#1340890:

Wow, I've heard some things along the line of recruiting players that were agnostic and living alternative lifestyles..Geno would use that as leverage against PS and her views on Christianity..But I had no idea ESPN was so involved in recruiting of UCONN players..Thx for the post.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

A second choice might be that Baylor coach. I hate her guts. I turn the channel if she does an interview. I think she looks like the most stuck up b****, I've ever seen on the planet. I despise her way worst than Geno even. But, if she was here and was our b****, I'd fall in lover with her. She has to be probably the second best younger coach in the country.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to SterlingHuskies:

Coach Summitt has always been respectful of others and displayed a level of class that "he" could never hope for. As for those differences "whatever they may be" I'll bet they involve Maya Moore's shopping spree with Sue Bird and that tour of ESPN studios when Moore was a recruit.

joeaubie writes:

Wish CPS had hugged him and then punched him in the throat. Would've been funny.........

mdvol writes:

Bye Bye, Geno! Back under your rock....

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

Hugging Imanenema is like bobbing for apples in a septic tank.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Im so gald I didn't see that hug or I would have gouged my eyes out.

Dalton writes:

Our coach is the face of classiness...that always wins out...Geno has embraced his role of arrogance and instigator...but he has earned his wins and has built UCONN into the beast of women's basketball...but he has to live with himself for the grief he has caused Coach Summitt..don't begrudge him that..Pat doesn't.

frblalack writes:

Timw and time again this year I watched Stricklen & Simmons among others fail to pass to an open Alisha Manning...she was the "last option". I don't beleive she was ever given the chance to show her potential. Why is it that Lindsay Whalen, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Skylar Diggins, and many others are not being recruited by Tennessee? Sydney Spencer was an enormous talent who happened to be playig with one of the greatest players of all time, Candace Parker, but since then how may athletes like Spencer have made their homje at Tennessee? I'm not at all sure we've sent the correct message; there is an awesome & equal opportunity to excel on our Lady Vols basketball team! I want to see a completely united and unselfish basketball team; not just a run & gun wholly selfish and biased product exemplified by the me-me attitude of Meighan Simmons et al.

bigdisbig writes:

For those of you who think Geno Cheataremma could be or would want to be our coach need to stop smoking whatever it is you are on. He is the Calipari of women's basketball. He is a yankee degenerate that hates southern states and people. Some of you idiots would sleep with a snake if it would help you win.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

You are absolutely correct sir. I don't feel sorry for Kentucky right now having that snake coaching them and I don't think Baylor or UConn's fans are worried that they have a snake coaching them. I want to win and I don't care what it takes as long as we don't get into serious trouble with the NCAA which Geno never has. Look at it from a football view. Your probably one of many fans we have who calls Alabama cheaters, a dirty program, yada yada yada. You think the Bama fans care about what you think while their kicking your teams tail and winning national championships? I could care less what grades players make, how they serve their community, how they act off the field/court, all I want to do is WIN!!!! I want us to cover up failed drug tests, cover up anything the athlete may do wrong, anything possible to help us win. Just WIN!!!!!!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to Apex:

It's a relief to see an honest post. Some of theses people were starting to worry me. It's like one hug would suddenly turn this slimey jerk into a decent person. He put on a nice show for the media, but he's still Geno.

BillVol writes:

This has to be an April Fools joke.

miatatom writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Maybe she is recruiting him to take her place?

He's still the biggest a#$ in the world. I'm so glad he lost tonight. I hope he never wins another national championship.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

You die hard lady vol fans are asking to be diving into the shades of mediocrity if you aren't careful. You all have a very closed mind on everything. I know you won't accept a new coach not from the Summit Tree, but I'm telling you those aren't the best coaches available. None of them have built a national power. Hiring someone from the Summit Tree would be equal to the football team hiring Derek Dooley. Really even dumber because Dooley was the only guy we could find who even wanted the football job. The women's basketball program is the best in the country for that sport so you all should hire who you want. I'm a moderate women's bball fan. My heart isn't attached into everything like you all's is. So you should listen to me because those things aren't important to me. Even if it was it wouldn't act like you all do. I hate Urban Meyer with a great passion but don't think I would pitch a fit if it was announced he was coming to UT.

rocky_topper writes:

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

Here's another angle to look at this. Notice how UConn has gone down a little bit lately. Maybe Geno's conscious got to him over dirty methods he may have used in recruiting (morally not illegally). Now he's trying to do it more ethically and that's why they aren't quite as dominant as they have been.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

a thought, but highly unlikely. a cheater never changes his spots. My guess is if anything he is trying to be "nicer" so perhaps the fans want be so upset should he pass Pat in titles one day.

GONAVY writes:

in response to ddt#1340890:

Very strong accusations. And you have this proof?

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

I think Kim Mulkey has proven herself to be an outstanding coach, but I doubt she would take the UT job even if offered. I'm not even sure how much longer she will coach anywhere. She has a chronic illness herself. I think it is called Bell's palsy. It is not life-threatening but it causes paralysis of the facial nerves, which is disconcerting to someone who must deal extensively with the public. Kim has the utmost respect for Pat and the Lady Vol program and despite what some see as an abrasive personality, she would be an excellent hire if not for her condition, IMHO.

allvols4life writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

And this attitude is one of the problems with our society. Let's teach our athletes that it doesn't matter what else they do, as long as they WIN! If you WIN, we will make sure your grades are fixed, any illegal activities will be covered up, and you can act like a fool off the field and court, just as long as you help us WIN! The more I think about this comment from you, the more ridiculous it seems. Sports are about winning, but also about teaching the athletes life lessons.

ps11824 writes:

I feel empathy for Kim Mulkey because she is dealing with something physically that must be oh, so aggravating - Bells Palsey.

That being said, although she seems to be a brilliant coach, I don't think she would fit at TN; maybe because she irritates me somehow, she wouldn't get my vote. What about Marciniak & Bruce Pearl or Dane Bradshaw?

I'm obviously perplexed this morning. This would be about as likely as a flood in my yard.

volaholic45 writes:

Question is, after the hug how many of the huggers felt like they needed a shower - zero, one, or two?

voloffaith writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

True a Leopard can't change its' own spots..so a "cheater" can't change his/her ways. However, the ONE who made you and me can change the cold ,heart of stone into a heart of flesh that can be able to really be different. Until that , if it occurs, it is all window dressing for public show....

SoddyVol writes:

in response to ps11824:

I can't say why but I also am irritated a little by Mulkey. Your mention of Bruce Pearl is intriguing. I wonder if he could be as successful coaching and recruiting young ladies and would he be interested? Would the 3 yrs he is serving apply to the ladies game as well? It interests me.

in response to SoddyVol:

I liked Bruce Pearl for most of the time he was coaching the men, but I don't think he would be a good choice for coaching the Lady Vols. For one thing, his "show-cause" order WOULD apply to the LVs, since it was imposed by the same NCAA that controls both men's and women's college sports these days. For another, there is the by-now well-known story about how he dumped his wife of many years for a much younger woman and WAY too many pictures out there of him frolicking with young women on the lake. The kind of parents who placed every trust in Pat to do right by their daughters wouldn't give Bruce Pearl the time of day, IMHO.

UTAlum88 (Inactive) writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

I think the irritation factor with Mulkey is because she is OBNOXIOUS.

I say Nikki Caldwell or Kelly Jolly-Harper should be considered, if Coach Summitt doesn't come back next year. Both showed their dedication to preparing for games in practice. Because they knew that's what it takes to being able to show up in games consistently. Seems current Lady Vols have lost that key mentality and work ethic.

RLL59 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Of course, Kim Mulkey is a terrific coach, and has all the credentials to coach any college team. And from the reports, Bell's palsy is curable, and not necessrily chronic. But I would think she'll stay with Baylor at least one more year, until Griner graduates. She irritates some Lady Vol fans, probably because she's an in your face coach, both to her players and the refs...and she walks the sidelines with expression. Sound like any other coach we know and admire? How many opponents' fans feel the same way about coach Summitt?

The decision from the University's standpoint will be their's not the fans, and will include advice from Coach Summitt. Hopefully, it will be made from the head, not the heart, and may come sooner rather than later, as coach DeMoss just announced her regination.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to GONAVY:

Very strong accusations. And you have this proof?

I tried to share a link, didn't work out, try googling "Maya Moore recruiting violations".

in response to RLL59:

I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to coach Griner as long as possible. I don't know anything about Bell's palsy, but I hope for her sake it is curable. I was thinking more about the possibility for maybe the 2013-4 season anyway, since it is likely Pat will come back next year. Although come to think about it, I don't think we can say ANYTHING is "likely" about how and when this situation will be resolved. We ordinary fans can only watch and wait.

volcraze writes:

I am not a fan of Geno's but I sure am glad he treated Pat with the respect she deserves.

ps11824 writes:

I wish Griner would forgo her senior year and go play overseas & WNBA. She is so out of place in the women's college game. Now don't get edgy with me for saying that because no disrespect intended. I just like a level playing field, and she tilts the scale with her physical attributes. I seriously believe there will not be another woman like her come along in the women's game.

SoddyVol, when I said I was perplexed with coach KM, same goes for BG, the player. It's like having a male player on a women's team, and that just aint fair, IMHO. I'm not blaming the kid, she is what she is, BUT she is an anomaly. That's fact. That bothers me.

That being said, I wish TN could land a big strong post player with mad skills. Anosike on steroids ; ) perhaps. The Lady Vols have not had an outstanding post player in a long while. Does anyone remember Vonda Ward, Dana Johnson or even 6'4" Tiffany Johnson, who unfortunately was sent packing way too early because of some violation of rules. Those 3 were BANGERS. They could knock their opponent off their feet without getting themself in foul trouble. Constant fouling is SO BORING, isn't it?

Seems to me, we have gotten away from bangers; instead, we recruit finesse players. We need some Marciniak fire and a lot of Anosike kick-your-butt determination & leadership. We need players who can create & finish shots. I seem to recall some of our guards in the past hitting near-100 consecutive free throws. Dang, one could have bet the farm that LVs of the last 4 years would possibly, on a good night, hit 1 out of 2, maybe...

Don't let me get started on field goal %s this season... Soddy Vol, I suppose I got some of that stuff out of my system. Thanks for reading.

So what will you do now, get into softball? I like the Lady Vols this season. It is our time to show those Bammer gals & those gator girls how to play some ball. Time to bring the hardware back to Knoxville, right? Losing is wearing me out.

volsxsnos writes:

Pat hugging Coach Geno Imanenema???? Ewwwwww

BigRMan writes:

About the hug, remember the Japanese were our enemy in WWII. Now look at the state of affairs between the 2 countries! Much as we hate to admit it God created both Summit & Auriemma. I think deep down just maybe Geno knows that Pat's efforts in the 70's & 80's paved the way for him to have his opportunity at UCONN in the 90's. Of course that doesn't excuse some of his less than above board methods of recruiting. However God is and wants us to be in the forgiving business. WOW! What a test of heavenly mandate!