Dooley calls practice 'Monday Morning Blues'

Tennessee's first workout of the second week of camp started inside Monday, and the early tempo there clearly left a lot to be desired for coach Derek Dooley.

The Vols coach didn't hesitate to let his team know, calling them all over for a huddle in which he didn't leave much doubt about how he felt the practice was going.

"It was the Monday Morning Blues, and everybody in America has them," Dooley said. "Great weekend, it's time to go to work Monday morning. Watching basketball on the weekends.

"You have to go. You can't have Monday and you wait until Tuesday to get going. You have to go now, and so we had to remind them of that a little bit."

The Vols seemed to respond to the pep talk, with a jaw-dropping, one-handed grab from Da'Rick Rogers among the highlights during the open portion of practice.

UT also had the pads popping on the defensive end of the field as they gear up for the first scrimmage of camp on Friday, with Herman Lathers standing out some again as he showed continued improvement with his health.

Secondary Shuffle: The experiment with Brent Brewer at linebacker isn't over, but it's at least on hold for now.

As the junior works though his rehabilitation from knee surgery with limited work in camp, the Vols are again looking at him mainly at safety for the time being.

For one thing, with his red, non-contact jersey on it's simply easier for him to get reps in the secondary again. And for another, the Vols are open to having him play roles both at linebacker and at safety in the fall.

Another player making a move through the first five practices appears to be Byron Moore, who was working with the first-team defense at free safety and seems to be settling into a role there.

The junior-college transfer didn't quite live up to the lofty expectations on him last fall, with his ever-shifting role in the secondary perhaps part of the problem along with his conditioning. But he appears to be getting comfortable now and flashed his impressive speed on a blitz during the media viewing period.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Good to hear Byron Moore's name. With that being said they MUST find a spot for Brian Randolph at one of the safety positions.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

RRRRRR!!!! Getting the fever. What month is it again?

nocleats writes:

Last year at this time, all we read was how well John Propst was doing at middle lb. Did he even play besides special teams last season? Who will be the decoy story this year?

spacificislander writes:

Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays...

tovolny writes:

I like Dooley and I think he can get the Vols back in the winning column. I wish the southern football coaches would stop trying to create so much drama. Why can't they explain a little about what is going on and let us figure out the rest during the spring game? I call this fan interrogations...you know, good job/bad job...we never know the real story.

grrr....get 'em fired up coach

toddyboy....no matter how you post....you'll still be picked last

born2ride writes:

The SEC won national championships in basketball and football.

Unfortunately the Vols were not a factor.

Dooley has one more year win big or he is a goner. 1-7 and last place is unacceptable.

Go Big Orange!

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

Another Kentucky Coronation! BAM! BANNER 8!

It was definately another Blue day!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to born2ride:

The SEC won national championships in basketball and football.

Unfortunately the Vols were not a factor.

Go Big Orange!

I think you have that right. But we are starting with a full team. We were on the right track last year until the injury bug hid so bad. The lack of depth and the injuries just wore the team down. As of this time we don't have either of those problems and we have a lot of talent.We shall start by winning the O/W. Then 9-3 plus a bowl, could easily be 10-2 and a run at the SEC East.

Orangejellybean writes:

Kentucky does it AGAIN! And everyone said that Calapari would NEVER!, EVER!!, EVER!!!, EVER!!!! win a National Championship. Oh how wrong my big orange family has been. MY WORD!!!!

They are always just too good, too fast, too talented, too smart and too big! Truly McDonalds All Americans, wow!

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

toddyboy....no matter how you post....you'll still be picked last

Ron, I haven't seen you on here for a while, so let me introduce myself. I am a huge Kentucky Wildcat fan and I understood at one point that you really like & respect our coach. Now, we'll take our coronation applause, thank you.

(Signed)

eRUPPtionBLUE

TheVolSnake writes:

First of all don’t get overly excited on who is playing where, we have a new defensive scheme and therefore players we never expected to play at a position are going to get a look. Some areas may not be ironed out till the fall. But for once in four years we have good to great backups nearly everywhere.

I think Dooly always knew he would be going to the 3-4 defense when you look at the way he recruited, it was heavy on speed which meant we lost a little on the size department. This worried me when we were playing the 4-3 defense where you need the larger bodies for the line and bigger middle linebackers and we were not really going after the bigger body players, moving to the 3-4 make since.

The D. Backfield is wide open and therefore we will see a lot of changes and moving around till fall to find the best mix.

Remember we have several recruits coming in this fall which will fight also for playing time and some of them could step in right away. Examples: McCullers, O'Brien, Sentimore, Bonner and McNeil. Not that I don’t like the others these players could be another surprise like Maggitt and Johnson was last year. The offence has several that also could come in and also surprise, the ones I see that has the ability to come in and make dramatic impact on offence is Groom’s , Patterson , Bowles, Howard and Bourque. Last year I didn’t see Maggitt and Johnson as impact players till our LB took several injuries.

You never know who will play where till the first game and who will step up, but again for once we have options so will be fun to watch how it pans out.

Go Vol's

VolinCalif writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Yes Chaney is a big factor. It isn't a secret that he is a passing coach and a pretty good one. He had passing material to start the year and sure didn't work much on the run. Big Big failing. At the start of the season I thought he would get away with it until the team matured, But the I-bug took care of that. We'll see this year, I have the feeling we will have a pretty good running game this year. That being the case we will have a very good season.
Go vols 9-3 plus a bowl

VolinCalif writes:

It will be fun watching. I'm really excited about seeing this year start. I think that all the cards are in order, we have talent, depth, and a really good looking start at a great defence. I think we are going to be a team to deal with and may well make a good run at the East. Ga worries me but we usually play them well. SS is always a worry but I think Dooley is his match at this age.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to slaw_way:

If you go back though all posts I have ever done you will see I don’t bad mouth any player or coach so this will be a first. I agree with you Chaney since coming to the Vols hasn’t proven he can be an OC I still hope that this was because he didn’t have the players or other reasons and this year he will do a much better job. I truly believe Dooly is the right man for the job. Yes he makes mistakes but he has stopped for the most part your biggest problem (off field troubles) and now has assembled a great coaching staff.

Everyone wants to forget he had less than two weeks to assemble his first coaching staff and keep the recruits, so to be frank he didn’t get the best coaches out there. To top that off he lost a lot of Key players and so far all those lost haven’t produced where they went, but the book is still open on some of them.

Go Vol’s

Orangejellybean writes:

Ohhh, as an orange lover, I can not even begin to express the embarassment of how just about every single poster on this board used to hound how Kentucky would never win a championship. I had asked one person before what if every one was wrong and they won, then what. He never would answer me, he was a Vol fan. Now, what I have said has come true.

As proven result, I am wonder just how many of you who were in the pack are willing to come forth to eat crow. Well, how about it? I'd like to see if anyone has the guts.

Kentucky is the BEST team, ever! and they are nearly in insurmountable, yes, you heard right, INSURMOUNTABLE and I'm not afraid to admit it. The Orange Nation is nothing more than just chump change in a field of dreams.

Congratulations to the MUCH better SEC and now, National Titled Team, they are Titlist.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

Go Vol’s

You really hit the nail on the head. I think Dooley just looked for a luck factor with the coaches he picked at first. It would be very interesting to know how many of those that left were ask to go. Dooley sure got the best of that exchange, we have SEC vets on staff now and the difference will be big.

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

grrr....get 'em fired up coach

you just gotta be talking 'bout Coach Cal

VolinCalif writes:

Good night All. Got to get up with the grand kids in the morning and take them to the 12 yr old's baseball game.

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

(Signed)

eRUPPtionBLUE

OH no..i cant stand your couch...but, congrats on the nat. champ...you guys deserved it..the best team on the floor.....i saw a pic of calipari say "i dont hang many banners...but when i do the ncaa keeps taking them down"...lol..

so true

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to toddyboy:

according to some, you wake up every morning with the blues and s.l.

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

so true

well, I have it from very excellent source(s) that you are really in admiration of Coach Cal. Just wondering, how many Cat fans are you actually willing to admit best team on the floor to?

Snapshot writes:

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

Another Kentucky Coronation! BAM! BANNER 8!

It was definately another Blue day!

The article was about football you knucklehead. We don't give a rats rear about ky basketball!

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

well there wasn't an update on the game when I first began posting, so I simply chose to put it here since this seemed to be where some activity may have been. besides, I read your articles, but don't believe it always has to be totally on the subject at hand, as I have read many, many post under these articles that have nothing to do with the article, but never saw you gripping then. and if it had been tee that won, there would have been 1000 postings on here before it was over about the NC and no gripping from you. sure there isn't just a tad of soured grapes in their for the volnation, tonight?

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

lmao sorces?,,,yea..i love your cheating slimy coach....

VAvolfanRON writes:

lol...gilrest..falls down....in so much pain...them he plays the hold game.....such a wuss.......too funny

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to Orangejellybean:

Hey Mildcat fan,

Nobody here cares about kentucky, go smoke your bluegrass somewhere else.

no rupp....we have a coach that earns every victory.......unlike yours

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

no rupp....we have a coach that earns every victory.......unlike yours

up for a tussel with another UK fan, I see??

in response to 7BLUeBanners:

up for a tussel with another UK fan, I see??

speak english

VAvolfanRON writes:

congrats....the better team won..

now you only have to hope that it holds....ref: umass.....memphis

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

speak english

fight, struggle, fuss, you know
I've also hear it. Your rep succeeds you.

VAvolfanRON writes:

sell, jargon, copy.....make a complet sentence

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

congrats....the better team won..

now you only have to hope that it holds....ref: umass.....memphis

It will hold!! And, I'm going to see it hung.

So, exactly what is the # of UKer's that you been known to provoke on this thing?? for real?

and, fair question, where you pulling for UK?

i only undestood your last sentence....english please

no, i wasnt......becaue of your fans

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

i only undestood your last sentence....english please

no, i wasnt......becaue of your fans

any fan in particular and the.... Title..... will.... HOLD!! I....am....going...to...see...it...hung!

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

i only undestood your last sentence....english please

no, i wasnt......becaue of your fans

rumor has it that you have been known to provoke a few Blue fans that might frequent here. just how many have you provoked, was the other part of that what you could not understand

VAvolfanRON writes:

ok....i guess english is out of the question here....

enjoy and congrats

in response to 7BLUeBanners:

sober up.....

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

ok....i guess english is out of the question here....

enjoy and congrats

okay, I'll try again, if you're willing?

VAvolfanRON writes:

what the heck are you trying to say?

VAvolfanRON writes:

ill say it out loud...calipari is a cheat...has been and always will be....

hows that?

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

what the heck are you trying to say?

just that I have heard that you like to bust a few chops of particular wildcat fans, no?

VAvolfanRON writes:

he makes bruce pearl look like and angel....happy??

7BLUeBanners writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

he makes bruce pearl look like and angel....happy??

don't have a thing to do with what I just said, you sure you're not the one who needs to sober? look at my comment

in response to 7BLUeBanners:

if thats what you heard...ok......

7BLUeBanners writes:

is it true?

in response to 7BLUeBanners:

ok...this convo is going in circles....take care

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I hate coach cal since he's always been a cheater.

kentuRkey has always been a good basketball school but it's degrading to hire a proven Liar and Cheater like coach cal is proven to be.

The kids played a good game tonight but we're all waiting for more cheating and payoffs to be uncovered which will cause that banner to be ripped down from Rupp.

Nobody here cares about kentuRkey basketball so go find a board of your own to spew garbage.

On topic...I like what CDD has done and continues to do but I always expected a 4 to 5 year rebuilding timeline as depleted as our roster was and starting year 3 I think CDD is a little ahead of things.

We now know why most of his 1st coaching hires only got 2 year contracts and now we've got serious upgrades with smart teaching coaches that are also better recruiters so the next 2 years could really surprise some people and we just might surprise a team or 2 this season.

VFL...GBO!!!