Mickie DeMoss' exit could start makeover

Assistant hired by Fever of WNBA

The Tennessee bench, from left, Meighan Simmons, Glory Johnson, assistant coach Mickie DeMoss, and head coach Pat Summitt show their frustration during  the game against South Carolina.

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, copyright © 2012

The Tennessee bench, from left, Meighan Simmons, Glory Johnson, assistant coach Mickie DeMoss, and head coach Pat Summitt show their frustration during the game against South Carolina. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Mickie DeMoss

Mickie DeMoss

Change is coming to the Tennessee women's basketball coaching staff for next season.

The Lady Vols announced on Monday that assistant coach Mickie DeMoss is leaving to join the staff of the WNBA's Indiana Fever. The ultimate determination is whether DeMoss' departure is just the beginning of a historic transformation.

UT coach Pat Summitt is pondering her coaching future as she deals with early onset dementia, Alzheimer's type. With her staff playing a bigger role, Summitt continued to coach this season after announcing her diagnosis last August. With Summitt's 38th season over, UT officials are giving her time and space to sort through some options.

In a university release, Summitt sounded pleased about DeMoss joining the staff of Fever coach Lin Dunn. DeMoss' decision ended a collegiate coaching career that spanned 35 seasons. She spent 20 total years at UT. During her first 18 years, Tennessee won six national championships, and DeMoss was promoted to associate head coach in 2000. She returned for the 2010-11 season after four years as the coach at Kentucky and three seasons as an assistant at Texas.

"From my perspective, I am so excited for Mickie,'' Summitt said. "Coaching at the next level has always been one of her professional aspirations, and the Fever is one of the best teams in the league.

"Obviously, Mickie is not only a great coach but she is a lifelong friend. We will certainly miss her at Tennessee and the contributions she has made during the 20 years she has been a part of our championship program."

DeMoss was a key coaching figure in assisting Summitt this season. DeMoss drew from her experiences in helping care for her mother, Wilma, who endured a lengthy battle with dementia. During the season, DeMoss' sister, Susie, said that she didn't think it was a coincidence that DeMoss returned to UT's staff last season.

"I think God has her there,'' DeMoss' sister told the News Sentinel. "I think she's supposed to be there for Pat at this time in her life."

DeMoss said in a UT release that Dunn contacted her "a few months ago" about the opening on her staff.

"I told her my immediate concern was helping Pat and the Lady Vols basketball team,''DeMoss said.

Summitt and DeMoss eventually discussed the opening and DeMoss told her of her interest in the WNBA.

"When Pat and I talked about the opportunity to coach at the next level, she told me she would support me in whatever decision I chose to make,'' DeMoss said. "I've been in the game for 35 years and this is always something I've wanted to do."

The DeMoss opening on Tennessee's staff isn't expected to be filled until Summitt's future is determined. Along with coaching, DeMoss was UT's recruiting coordinator. The Lady Vols remain in the hunt this spring for two junior college prospects: Uju Ugoka, a 6-foot forward from Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College and Wilka Montout, a 6-5 center from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College.

UT associate head coach Holly Warlick is believed to be the lead recruiter of Ugoka while assistant Dean Lockwood is believed to have the same responsibilities regarding Montout.

Ugoka is a finalist for the Women's Basketball Coaches Association's junior/community college player of the year.

Dan Fleser may be reached at 865-342-6288. Follow him at http://twitter.com/FleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Allenfan writes:

I think a lot more will be announced after the championship game on Tuesday night. Many of her fans have said to allow her to coach as long as she wants to, the trouble with that is she is no longer coaching. If anyone doesn't think that the old Pat not being on the bench blasting the refs and in the players faces didn't cost you several games this year, then your knowledge of basketball is limited.

FanNotSheep writes:

It's her decision, but I hope she chooses to stay with the program in an advisory role. Not on the bench necessarily, but hopefully to be a resource to the coaching staff and to be as involved on her better days as the situation allows. No matter who the next coach is, they will need to be able to make the decisions. But I hope Coach Summitt can continue to be involved. It will be good for her and inspiring to the players and the fans.

You cannot overstate how important it is for the university to get this right. Any perceived slight towards Coach Summitt will make the national media reaction to the inept handling of the departures of Majors, Fulmer and Pearl look like a cakewalk -- and the fan outcry will be deafening.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Yep, this is the beginning of the changing of the guard! Mark it down.

Go Lady Vols!

OwensboroVol writes:

I think that with her illness its probably a good idea for Pat to take some kind of a different position at UT. The Lady Vols rivals will use Pat's Illness against her in recruiting, and staying will only cause the program she loves to begin dropping in quality. Holly Warlick has labored in Pat's shadow for many years and I think its time for her to spread her wings and fly. It would be nice if Pat could help out in some kind of adversary position. This is a hard thing to do or to see happen. My wife had a progressive disease and We spend the last years of her life very close. We both died a little bit every day, her physically and me mentally. There isn't any good to come of it. I watched the person who I had met on Cumberland Ave. when we were 19 slowly lose her battle for life. I have never been so helpless. My soul ached and still does. I miss her everyday of my life and look forward to the day that I might be with her again. I will never be whole again until then because half of me is gone.

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

How wonderful it must be to have had a partner that you loved so much !

troken writes:

I guess DeMoss figured out she wasn't going to be the next HC and moved on. Since she is gone and if Pat leaves, I hope we clean house...

Razor784 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Great story, thanks for sharing that, Godspeed

MO_Orange writes:

Let's hope Pat chooses to go out like John Wooden and Bear Bryant. She is often called "the John Wooden of women's basketball." Both Wooden and Bryant retired near the top of their game, Wooden after winning his 10th national championship. Compare this to coaches who hung around too long, notably Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno. Pat has nothing left to prove. I'm betting she makes the right decision for herself and the program she built from scratch.

ALL_VOL75 writes:

in response to troken:

"clean house"???? why would we do something that stupid? We have the best coaches in the womens game in Knoxville. Dont be so radical...Cleaning house didnt work so well for the football program.

frblalack writes:

Many thanks to Coach Mickie! She has been an extemely classy lady from the time she arrived.

Wishing her the greatest success and the happiness she deserves! Always!

g-man writes:

in response to ALL_VOL75:

clean house yes

jt45 writes:

My money's on nothing being announced until after signing day. There are still some undecided recruits out there and I just dont see anyone with with any sense trying to push an early announcement from Pat. The media has its own agenda but fans should be thinking about what effect this kind of talk could have on potential recruits that are on the fence in choosing their schools. It amazes me that a few on this board can't think that far ahead.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to g-man:

clean house yes

Agree with you. Holly Warlick showed this year she is NO head coach

CrankE writes:

Pat and UT must address this in definitive terms at some point. She will not coach UT forever, someone else will eventually be the coach, and foes will continue to talk about this situation until it is resolved. These truths are undeniable if unpleasant.

Sure, UT's foes will speak of Pat with the greatest respect when they're out recruiting. But the conversation will be slanted towards what Pat "has done" and what our program "is doing". The subtle message being that Pat is history and we are the future.

Some uncertainty is not always a bad thing. But uncertainty sustained over a long duration will ultimately be a disservice to UT, to the Lady Vols program, and to Pat Summitt herself.

It's Time.

FearlessFreep writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Agree with you. Holly Warlick showed this year she is NO head coach

And how would we know that? You're basing it on this year? An heart-breaking season that had all of the assistants using a great deal of energy to protect Pat?

That's unfair to Holly to make that judgement. I don't know if she will or will not be a good head coach, but to make a sweeping judgement off this season is ridiculous.

What we learned from this season is that it is next-to-impossible to maintain an elite program when faced with a debilitating illness. That's it. Period.

Volinflan writes:

Someone help me out. When a head basketball coach steps down what does that mean about the status of scholarships, especially, signed papers for incoming players that have not played for a school yet? Are they still binding?

coymoore#531076 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Agree with you. Holly Warlick showed this year she is NO head coach

Elite 8 in this situation, with this team! Holly should be getting votes for coach of year! This was not a final 4 team!

ontario28#400237 writes:

If things play out that Pat may retire this season or seasons to come--UT could use a fresh start..Dawn Staley, Lisa Boyer, & former Lady Vol Nikki McCray! What a staff! The McDonald's All Americans will be knocking down doors to play for the Lady Vols Tradition! This program have the $$$ to make it happen! Pat Summit is a Legendary Coach & always will be! She & her staff has done a heck of a job with molding players the UT Lady Vols way! "Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games, but Rebounding wins Championships!" 8 Chamionships thus far & going strong! If Pat decides to leave now or years to come she will be missed! She's a Coaches Coach! Luv u Pat!!!

SCVFL writes:

Pat is the BEST D@MN COACH EVER.She deserves the right to leave (or stay) on her own terms as long as she is still capable of making decisions.
She can be the President as far as I am concerned.
Nothing but love for Pat,
VFL...GBO

madrigal writes:

Mickie has seemed kind of unsettled in the past few years...first off to Kentucky as head coach, quitting abruptly after some good winning seasons and saying she was done with basketball, then next thing you know she turns up on the Texas bench, then she's back here, now off to the WNBA...mid-life crisis much?

And I wish some of you would quit the crape hanging about Pat. You don't know how much coaching she really does at regular practices where the atmosphere is quieter and less intense, and how much individual work she does withthe players.

bmaples writes:

Quick point to make:

Many of you that say "Pat should coach as long as she wants to" have obviously not dealt with a progressive disease like dementia. My mother wanted to continue driving, but the day came when she could not. She wanted to continue living by herself, but she could not. The person "inside" the disease doesn't always know how bad it is or isn't. (Then, there are the moments when they DO know, and those are the most heart-breaking of all.)

Only the people inside the situation know how it is. None of us know, and some of us have never dealt with it. At this point, I leave it to the staff, her boss, Tyler, and Pat herself. That is the only logical, and respectful, thing to do.

Bruce in Louisville

utvolfan writes:

in response to SCVFL:

She can be the President as far as I am concerned.
Nothing but love for Pat,
VFL...GBO

In fact, there would be precedent for that. After all, Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's while he was president; he just wasn't as up-front about it as Pat has been!

I don't know why anyone would want to be either coach OR president. Either puts the person in that role as a target for jillions of folks who think they know more about how to do the job. However, Pat has my support for whatever she wants to do, whether it's coach, president, or something else.

r2d2 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Very poignant remarks. I agree with you 100% about Holly.

utclyde16 writes:

Bring Tyler Summitt on as an assistant. I've heard he has a great head for the game. He definately had a great mentor.

GONAVY writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Your post puts silly things like sports in perspective. You obviously can understand the painful side of watching the loss of a person or his/her faculities happen. Thanks.

in response to Volinflan:

I'm not sure what the written rules are in such situations, but most schools are pretty good about honoring signees' requests if they want to transfer. For all the lip-service to the idea that a recruit signs with a school and not a coach, the reality is that most players sign to play for a certain coach. For that reason, players who want to transfer are usually granted releases, though the school may try to add stipulations about where they can go. As long as the original school grants a player a release, he or she can often play immediately at the new school. Come to think about it, it may be that the old coach must be dismissed for cause for the athlete to be free to transfer without having to sit out a year. Hopefully some diligent researcher on here can help both of us out.

ETownVol writes:

in response to ALL_VOL75:

AMEN!!!

movol53 writes:

Pat is going to wait until after the Final Four to see which coaches may be available. She does not want just anyone taking over. If the top level coach has a bunch of seniors graduating; this might be the coach who would come to UT. Mulkey at Baylor isn't going anywhere this season as she has Griner one more year. However, Pat may stay one more year if someone is going to graduate a bunch of seniors next year. She wants what is best for UT and her program. I know some of you think I'm nuts but think about it.

vettefool writes:

I have previously compared this to North Carolina mens team after Dean Smith retired unexpectedly, and his long time 30yr assistant, Bill guthridge replaced him. well in my memory this was a disaster. actually he led the tar heels to two final fours in three years, before he stepped down, or was forced to step down. it is so difficult to follow a long time successful coach. you are always compared to your predecessor. hopefully Ms. Warlick can succeed and do at least as well as Mr. Guthridge did. I have my doubts though. Mr Guthridge inherited a group of great players that helped him succeed. Holly doesn't have this advantage.

Theo writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

There is no doubt in my mind that Pat will have a title and an office at UT until the day she departs this earth.
I believe she can still be a real asset to the program even if she can't do the game day coaching. Coach Emeritous, Ambassador, Special Recruiting director - take your pick. I could come up with a lot of ways for Pat to remain involved and still let the program start on it's next chapter.
I am also not surprised to see Micki leave - it does almost seem like she is searching for something and not finding it. Best wishes to her. I wonder if being so close to Pat this year brought back her mother's illness?
I am concerned that our signees - will ask for a release. I feel like we've got to make some decisions to keep the kids comfortable with the direction of the program. I am predicting now however that any coach who would try and swipe them will be on the bad side of so much Karma they won't know what hit them.

Volinflan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thank you sir. I thought there was something like that out there. I know they give releases, more so in Ladies BB than some other sports. Brewer got a release but you notice she didn't play this year. It could affect us both ways. I saw a player who had "signed" but had a new coach coming in and was going somewhere else. The point is, if and when, OUR coach decides to turn over the reins I'll bet there is a team of Lawers/Advisors that will be determining the exact date that it will occur.

So anyway, tonight's the big one. A lot of changes in the Ladies Basketball world will occur tomorrow. Maybe our world, maybe not.

Hokie-Vol writes:

in response to Theo:

Could it be possible that DeMoss is stepping away from the program in order to be considered for the HC position, in a year from now, when CPS might be ready to step down?

BigOrangeSlim writes:

If Holly Warrick wants to be the next head coach it should be hers. If not I think Nikki Caldwell or Kelly Jolly should get the nod. However the Women's Head Coach should be Pat Summitt as along as she wants! We should back Pat to be there no matter the situation is because she has made this sport (Not This Program) what it is today!!

Theo writes:

in response to Hokie-Vol:

two thoughts there - Micki is about Pat's age so she would only have 5 to 8 years maybe. Also, I'm not sure Micki liked being a head coach. She was successful at UK and well liked and left. Worse things could happen, she is a great recruiter and a great post coach.

totoiv writes:

in response to vettefool:

Somewhere in my travels I have seen an article that confirms this by showing several examples, including Dean Smith as you pointed out. Usually the coach that follows a legend does not last long. It is impossible to live up to expectations. In fact, UT may find that some coaches will shy away from the job because of this. If fans are going crazy because of three home court loses I can't imagine what will happen with a new coach that might struggle. Replacing 5 seniors alone next year will be a challenge (even for Pat). I suspect Holly will be named coach either this year or next and she will last approximately three years, but she will have a respectable record.

MissUT writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

What love and devotion you have for her!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Correct me ,but I don't think you meant to put "adversary". I think you meant advisory. Sorry in the pain that exists from your bride not being by your side. If in Christ all of His will be around the throne worshipping HIM....no greater joy has one ever known as our earthly joys are great in our eyes ,but will pale by comparison.

On topic,Coach Demoss wanted a change and might not have been able to watch Coach Summitt's demise any longer.

Ron1967 writes:

Some posters are concerned about PS staying on in an advisory capacity or recruiting coordinator? She has the thousand yard stare in her eyes and has for sometime. PS knew that she had alzheimers in May of 2011, but took her attorney with her to Jimmy Cheek's office in a play to remain in a position that she was no longer qualified to hold. UT has lost nearly a year in recruiting now. What high level recruit would consider committing to the LV program now with so much disarray and uncertainty. PS should have resigned last May. She is destroying the program that she created.

Mike_In_Storrs_CT writes:

I gotta a feeling that the Tenn. Program is finished, if they are really going to clean house and get an entire new coaching staff in there. Its going to take them years to be competitive again.

kazoo writes:

UT will be fine--but we need to hire a kick-a coach. There should be no shortage of candidates. It won't quite be the same without PS--but to be candid the program has been slipping for quite some time with Summitt. No final fours for four years, spotty recruiting. We were in a funk before landing Parker, who was brilliant and got UT back on track for a few years, but we've fallen back again. Vols need better talent evaluation and recruiting--and definitely a better offense. There is more parity, so it won't be easy, but we've still got a pedigree no one else can match.

BigRMan writes:

in response to Mike_In_Storrs_CT:

Was the North Carolina program finished when Dean Smith retired? Was the Maryland Women's program finished when Chris Weller retired? The rhetorical answer is "NO"! The UT Women's program has abundant financial resources to lure a coach "on the rise" with probably past ties to the program in a playing capacity. It will take time to rebuild and reload. Not as long as you will wish it to be

BigRMan writes:

What you're not smart enough to realize Mike in your caustic insults and barbs of gloom & doom for Tennesse is that tomorrow is promised to no one. There is not much difference in age between Summit & Auriemma. While you revell in Coach Summit's disease and the uncertainty of the UT program for the short & long term. What goes around comes around. Payback & Karma well it's what rhymes with stitch. With your evil mind and heart, you just may live long enough to find out!

ps11824 writes:

In defense of the program I Have to respond to the comment of miconn, as low as I have to stoop to do it. BigRMan, I think our program will be alive and thriving by the time uconn is able to get another nc title. If indeed their coach is blessed to stay alive and healthy, as you so aptly stated, BigR, we have no guarantees of another moment. The little miconn has no guarantee of growing into an adult. Seems like it has been hanging around in gvx long enough to grow some, but the comments still sound very juvenile, don't they BigR?

Theo writes:

in response to Mike_In_Storrs_CT:

I've got a feeling too - that you hope and pray the Lady Vols are done. Speaking of competitive looks like UConn is on its way down. ND is number one in the Medium East and now Rutgers looks ready to pass UConn as well.

SoddyVol writes:

So many denigrate Warlick. Why? Record this year 27-9, Elite 8, ranked 7th in the final ESPN poll. One of the most important things a freshman class needs is experienced "on the floor" teammates. This (now seniors) class did NOT have that due to injuries and graduation. Just look how far they got this year compared to most of the rest of the country. There will be experience next year and some good freshmen. If we have the same complaints next year then I will have to agree with you. Its just a year too soon for your arguments this year.

Volinflan writes:

in response to ps11824:

I think '98 is right Mikey. Geno has a good team and with B. Stewert coming in next year they will be better (she may be the next Candice Parker). But it won't matter, with Griner, Sims and Williams coming back, Baylor may go 80 straight. UCONN and a lot of other teams (including Tennessee) might as well take a seat and wait a while). There are three college games going on right now; the men's, the women's and the Griner game. And this is not a nasty or sexist comment. She just changes the game (the ones she's playing in) until it doesn't fairly compare with the rest of the game. For better or worse, that's the way it is. For many years I've watched the womens NCAA tournament and enjoyed the competition. Just wasn't any competition this year. For me it is sad.

r2d2 writes:

in response to Volinflan:

You are sooooooooooooo right on! Baylor does not have a senior in their starting lineup. They will repeat 40-0 next season. UCONN may be good the season after that and hopefully so will Tenn. I predict the top five teams two years from now will be: UCONN, Tennessee, Maryland, Duke and Stanford. This list is not in order.

TNTiger writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

Agree...IMO the issue is recruiting and has been for several years. It is hard to judge Warlick on this season alone. Who could prosper in that situation? So much turmoil from PHS's situation this year I do not think anyone could have been successful. We do not even know if Warlick wants the postion do we? I am sure she would not if she ever paid attention to the "support" she gets on this site!

rocky_topper writes:

in response to coymoore#531076:

You're right, it wasn't, but it should have been considering the talent that these girls had when they were recruited and came to Tennessee. That says it all. When Pat steps down, the program will be in dire straits if it is put into Warlick's hands.

BigRMan writes:

in response to ps11824:

98- Your thoughts and observations per usual are spot on. You have the perception to see everything so clearly and state it so succintly. I'm in your corner as long as Angelo Dundee was in Ali's corner. There are enough folks in the Women's hoops game that have enough regard for Coach Summit's work and accomplishments not to let any drought last longer than an emergency call to EVIAN for some relief of some cooling Spring Water. 98, you are our Belle -Weather Keep on Keepin' on!