Jeronne Maymon likely to miss spring practices

Tennessee second-team All-SEC power forward Jeronne Maymon isn't expected to take part in spring practices, according to coach Cuonzo Martin.

UT team hit the court for the first time Tuesday since the Vols' season ending loss to Middle Tennessee State in the second round of the National Invitation Tournament on March 19 in Thompson-Boling Arena.

In addition to Maymon, who underwent surgery to address a torn meniscus in his right knee on March 20, Trae Golden (knee) and Dwight Miller (knee) also were sidelined.

Martin, who posted a 19-15 record and a second-place finish in the SEC his first season at UT, said Miller will have knee surgery this week, the extent of which has yet to be specified.

"Trae could be back out to practice tomorrow, but we'll probably give him a couple more days off," Martin said.

The Vols split into three groups, each going 30 minutes.

Martin was pleased with freshman Quinton Chievous, who traded in his redshirt for an orange one.

"Q is a talented player," Martin said of Chievous, who retained a year of eligibility by not playing last season. "He's battling for minutes. It's different when you've got an opportunity to play."

Chievous said as much in UT's release from the closed workout.

"When you're redshirting ... you're only getting so many reps," Chievous said in the release. "Coach Martin told me April was going to come fast. Well, it's here."

Chievous, a 6-foot-5 wing from Chicago, expressed optimism for the team, which went through drills in 10-pound weight vests.

"A lot of people saw what we could do this year; we're only going to do better next year," he said. "With the players we already had, the new guys coming in, and me being able to contribute, I feel like we have a lot to look forward to."

The Vols have 2½ weeks of team work (two hours per week) before summer conditioning and the Rocky Top League.

UT's four-year overseas exemption trip is this summer, and Martin said the team will go to Italy in August. Extra practice dates and games with Italian teams will provide opportunities to groom the team heading into fall workouts.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MothershipChip writes:

Will we be able to watch the games against the Italian clubs?

VictorKruger writes:

Great news all-around. I had been wondering if the team was going to take the overseas trip. If I remember correctly, the last time the team did this it gave them a leg up starting the season. Looking forward to seeing how Chievous looks in the Rocky Top League this summer.

FeelVol writes:

Already excited about next years team and the competition of Chievious and the new recruits on the perimeter for playing time.Looking forward to this summer and our overseas trip.Go Vols and keep up the hard work.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Looking forward to us being healthy and playing hard!!

GreeneVol writes:

How long has Golden been hurt?

hickoryvol writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

No you are the sad one. They must have not let you play in the RT, a little bit of sour grapes or maybe you are just a gator. At any rate you suck

underthehill writes:

Maymon is in that very elite group of UT players recognized as being a "warrior" ..Dane Bradshaw, Juan Smith, Bernard King, etc..no give up and fight to the end..he'll be back..as Stokes gets better this team should be the best rebounding team in the SEC..

crappieking writes:

in response to hickoryvol:

Bigger_Al writes:

Next year will be a lot of fun to watch. Interested in seeing how Maymon, Stokes, and Hall can battle with whatever mercenaries Calipari brings in to wear "Kentucky" on their chest for five months.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Jeronne Maymon reminds me of Willis Read. How many of you young punkins know who I'm talking about?

Ironcity writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

Who leaked in your wheaties?

underthehill writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Willis Reed..left hander..New York Knicks ..bigger but not as quick as Maymon..probably not as intense competitor as Maymon..

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to crappieking:

1vavolfan writes:

For what its worth Andy Katz has UT at #24 in his 2012-13 preseason poll, see below.For you guys knocking PRTL, yes they are just pick up games but it is against good competition and it helps build fan support. The team plays pick up games all summer long, better to do it against legit college players in PRTL than against an intramural team.

in response to underthehill:

Reed was a better mid-range shooter than Maymon is now. As for how competitive he was, Reed memorably came on the court, after not being expected to play with a MAJOR hip injury, to face the mighty Lakers, led by Wilt Chamberlain, in the NBA Finals essentially on one leg. He hit two early jumpers and leaned on Chamberlain so effectively that he never regained his equilibrium although Reed couldn't go more than about 10 minutes total in the game, which the Knicks wound up winning. That was widely thought to be one of the most amazing injury come-backs in sports history, though not the only time Reed played through injuries that would have kept anybody else out. I only HOPE Maymon becomes both the player AND the competitor Willis Reed was, and I already think Maymon has a warrior's heart.

I'm not nearly as thrilled about the Rocky Top League as I am about the foreign tour. Unless someone gets badly hurt, the extra practices, the togetherness, and the good competition should indeed give the team a leg up on the upcoming season.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

I thought WestKnoxRepub was the absolute worst poster on this site, for his "country-club" AWO type comments. But now I think I owe him an apology. If you're out there, Repub, I'll offer you at least a partial retraction. Anybody that calls a bunch of players "tools" and "fools" for playing in an off-season basketball league seems to have a huge problem with more than basketball issues. Doesitmatter takes all of this to a new, much lower level. A septic tank with its proper contents, this one.

Theo writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

dcap8424 writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

No one uses the RTL for a measuring stick. Just good to see the guys playing again. For those who don't remember Chievous looked pretty good in the RTL last year.

These players know what the RTL is. Tatum and McRae didn't think they were going to score 50 a game in the SEC. Some fans may think that, and that is sad, but the players are smarter than that. They know what basketball is and what it isn't.

miatatom writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

I agree and with Wes Unseld (Stokes) out there with him, they make a mighty big duo. GO VOLS!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to miatatom:

LOL! I hope you guys comparing a freshman to outstanding NBAers are right to do so. I have no doubt that Stokes can rebound with anybody. His other skills are coming along, I'm believing.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

AS far as the RTL? Our players need it to keep their legs if nothing else. It let's them work on weak areas if they decide to do so.
I guess I'm hoping it's a positive thing. Unfortunately it doesn't really seem to do much for team play. Even if the UT players play team ball the others in the league probably won't. I guess you could compare it to AAU ball? I personally haven't watched either. One reason I don't watch pro ball is that there is too much defensive lack and watching the opponent dunks. I've even seen lanes clear up seemingly to let guys dunk? At least it looks that way to me. Maybe they just don't want to take the charge. 200+ pounds could do that I suppose.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm sorry for this correction Ayres. I'm pretty sure it's Willis ReEd not Read. Easy mistake but because I make so many I had to point at someone else's for a change.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Shoot!! 3 others at least have already corrected you. They also lived in that era I think. I used to watch a little NBA in those good ole' days.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

There may be some of the kind of play you describe in the NBA, but not much. There may be more of that this year because guys are tired because of the screwed-up post-lockout season. However, as a general rule, you had better believe that the really good teams play GREAT defense most of the time. As for getting out of the way to let guys dunk, the stupidest kind of foul is the one where a guy reaches out a timid hand to "tag" a guy as he goes in for dunk or layup for a completely pointless "and-1". Most pros are smart enough to avoid that kind foul. If they have a chance to stop a guy from scoring, they will whack him with all they've got, but if a guy already has you beat, why would you want to just give him a chance at another free point?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I know you like the NBA and I do too at times. I still believe they let people score at will on most nights and on most teams.imho The silly fouls are there I suppose. Can't say because I just quit watching most regular season games. We've been through this before if I remember correctly but I still haven't become a huge pro fan. Too many teams. Too many players and coaches changing teams etc and etc. Heck I don't know the names anymore of a lot of teams. I just learned a few days ago that Florida Marlins are now Miami Marlins?(baseball which I don't really watch now)
John it's not a dislike as much as a can't keep up with it all thing. Anyhow GBO and keep watching them pros. I'm in the minority on that one.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Oh, I don't pay that much attention to most NBA regular-season games, either. I much prefer college ball when it is on. No doubt in my mind that there are too many pro teams and the season is way too long. This leads both to a diffusion of talent and too many injuries and fatigue, and thus leads to too many lop-sided games. That said, NBA playoff ball is usually a great show. The better teams are playing each other and the games are spread out enough that no team has an advantage in rest and preparation.

IMHO, most of the things people complain about in pro ball, at least as a game as opposed to some of the business aspects, disappear in the playoffs. Some people will never warm to it, especially if they haven't grown up with it, but I just dislike reflexive aversion to it based on limited exposure and failure to recognize that the college game and the pro game are just different in many ways. To me, that is like people who don't like the women's game because they don't dunk routinely. They can't appreciate the things women do well because they don't do the same things men do. Crazy, if you ask me.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Sorry John. I lost track. weellll the coastal. com add girl got my attention and I forgot the subject