Prentiss Waggner leader of Vols' corners

Tennessee defensive back Prentiss Waggner (23) intercepts the ball on a pass from Vanderbilt quarterback Jordan Rodgers (11) during the fourth quarter at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011. Tennessee won 27-21 over Vanderbilt during overtime.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Tennessee defensive back Prentiss Waggner (23) intercepts the ball on a pass from Vanderbilt quarterback Jordan Rodgers (11) during the fourth quarter at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011. Tennessee won 27-21 over Vanderbilt during overtime. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

KNOXVILLE — Prentiss Waggner is finally the old man in Tennessee's defensive-backs meeting room.

Yet the Volunteers' new system might have the versatile Waggner and his defensive teammates feeling young.

Coordinator Sal Sunseri's complex scheme will be fourth Waggner has had to learn since arriving at UT from Clinton High School in Louisiana in 2008. But now he must be a resource to the other players in the secondary.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

gc_scvol writes:

Very good article. The writer has evidentaly done some research on topic and didn't one time, that I can detect, bash the team or the coaches. How refreshing.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

That's what I was thinking. When he first started to point out the flaws, I thought "Here we go again". Instead, He stated them in factual terms and included positives.

VolnPickwick writes:

Wow, KNS should go to Chattanooga for some real lessons in journalism. Nice reporting. Go Vols!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I agree, good article and fact based rather than just trying to find a way to bash our Vols like KNS seems to always try to do.

Our DB's really need to work hard and show lots of improvement this season and I think we'll see that with CSS as the demanding D coordinator, better blitzing schemes and a coach specifically for C's and S's to spend fulltime with each position instead of 1 coach for both positions.

VFL...GBO!!!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to VolnPickwick:

I can just see Adams reading this and thinking, "Amateur, Look how many opportunities you missed to imply things couldn't be worse and will never get better. I also could have thrown a certain loss in there...at least twice! Amateur" Tehehe.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Finally an article about the team. Thanks Chattanooga.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Patrick Brown has a history of this.
KNS links on many of his articles and I try not to miss any.

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Considering Adams is a columnist, paid to voice his opinion (and obviously does it well, because of the hate, and comments about him, so he's getting recognition) and this guy is a journalist, there's a big difference. I don't understand how people STILL can't understand that.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

I'm sorry. Did I ruffle some feathers. Sounds a bit defensive to me.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

It doesn't bother me that JA's opinions differ from mine. What does bother me is that he doesn't support his opinions with facts. He should run for congress or president.

givehim6 writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Finally an article about the team. Thanks Chattanooga.

I love reading the articles from Chattanooga about the Vols, much better info. Wish the Chattanooga free press could take over GoVols.com. Anyway, Waggner is one of my favorite DB's he has made the loss of EB when he went to the pros more tolerable. Hope some body can fill PW's shoes next year.

Snapshot writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

I'm sorry. Did I ruffle some feathers. Sounds a bit defensive to me.

Seems like you are the one who gets their feathers ruffled.
Futurecoach16 makes a good point about the difference between a columnist and a reporter, there IS a difference.

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

This may be true, but it is sad that only way he can get any response to his rants, is to complain about the Vols. But he is quick to praise LSU and Southern Cal. If he loves those teams so much why doesn't he report for them.

Oh I know, because John Adams is not good enough to get a job at a team he actually likes, then he would actually have to report facts, not innuendo.

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to atributetoLombardiwasbanned:

Patrick Brown has a history of this.
KNS links on many of his articles and I try not to miss any.

Patrick Brown is my favorite Vols writer.

The amazing thing is he used to work for KNS. I wonder if they pushed him out the door, because he wrote positive things about Tennessee.

The best thing is he actually highlights both the good and bad things about the programs, like a good reporter is supposed to do.

The trolls on here think the vol fans don't want to hear the negative things about Tennessee, when the truth is we want unbiased news.
But KNS is very bias against them.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Seems like you are the one who gets their feathers ruffled.

Something not really that strange going on here. Sounds like more DEFENSIVE response.

TexasKnoxVol writes:

Sounds to me like a bunch of Journalist/Reporters in here all trying to defend themselves. The truth of the matter is the true public trust you about as much as the avererage lawyer. Write your stories and then stick to them. Your story was put in the public eye at your choice. Of course there is going to be opposition to any report. Contrary to what you might have brain washed yourself to think. All news stories are biased. simly stated it is an opinion of facts.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

Our db's and dl to be worst in sec.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

For you and snapshot. Actually, I added the little laugh at the end to show it was just in fun. The fact the two of you answered with such serious posts, well, you figure it out from here.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to TexasKnoxVol:

Nicely put.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

That was funny, but as far as PW is concerned it's his time to shine..He's our best cover corner and has the ability to take it to the house on any given play..GBO!!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Won_and_Done:

Thanks, Your words don't "swell" my head, They just make me feel less "squished". ;)

Navaloranges writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Our db's and dl to be worst in sec.

Not even close to the bottom. Much closer to the top. But hey, me commenting on your post got you the much needed attention you obviously need. PWagg will be a top SEC cover guy or safety, which ever position he fills. Brewer, Lanier, Randolph, Gordon, Coleman and Moore will be a top 4 or better SEC secondary this year, along with a few other talented young players. And this is hardly the same D-Line that we've seen for the past 4 years. Next time you're checking out the roster look at the 2012 group. That's the group playing this year. This will be a MUCH improved Tennessee defense and team.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Naval, seriously asking trolls to use facts? Tsk, tsk.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Won_and_Done:

Standing O, (clapping in background)

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Fingers crossed!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Won_and_Done:

No, you're kind of like VD, nothing to clap about.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

No, you're kind of like VD, nothing to clap about.

This comment makes me.....itch.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

This comment makes me.....itch.

It makes me think of Port of Call San Juan..

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

It makes me think of Port of Call San Juan..

HA!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Won_and_Done:

Because I hate soccer and won't attend makes me an absentee dad?? That's a crock, first I attend Church every Sunday with my whole family..Secondly we eat dinner as a family every night..Thirdly I work two full time jobs to afford my children private (Christian education) and pay for my older children's college education..Yeah, that's really turning my back on my family, DA..Do me and yourself a favor before leaping on a lilly-pad, look before you leap..