Vols preparing for higher men's basketball expectations

Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin calls to his players during the second half against MTSU in the NIT second-round game at Thompson-Boling Arena Monday, March 19, 2012.  MTSU defeated Tennessee 71-64 to end their season.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin calls to his players during the second half against MTSU in the NIT second-round game at Thompson-Boling Arena Monday, March 19, 2012. MTSU defeated Tennessee 71-64 to end their season. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Spring practice isn't just for football.

The celebratory fires in Lexington are still smoldering. Tennessee, like many of the other 343 men's basketball teams that didn't win a national championship, is back at work.

"It is tough,'' UT's Skylar McBee said Thursday, his legs wobbly from a grueling workout, "but that's what you sign up for.''

Teams are allowed limited spring workouts in small groups and the Vols are being put through their paces, complete with weight vests and heavy basketballs.

"We want to work on a little bit of everything,'' said assistant coach Tracy Webster, "but we want to emphasize the things we think they really need to improve on.''

In Josh Richardson's case, that includes a heavy dose of ball-handling, pointing him toward more involvement at point guard.

While workouts are catered to individual needs, it's never too early to project the team picture.

After a 19-15 season and a surprising second-place finish in the SEC regular season, Tennessee will be cast in a different role in coach Cuonzo Martin's second season.

"We're not going to sneak up on anybody any more,'' said Richardson.

Apparently not. Several websites have published preseason Top 25 lists for the 2012-13 season and the Vols are getting some notice.

ESPN's Andy Katz ranked UT No. 24 in his early, early poll. Yahoo.com placed the Vols at No. 22. The Sporting News lists UT at No. 28.

"If we need any more motivation besides that,'' said Richardson, "I don't know what to tell us.''

A year ago the Vols were getting their first look at a new coaching staff. The team had lost 75 percent of its scoring and 70 percent of its minutes.

The picture has flip-flopped.

Martin's second team will return 81 percent of its scoring and 78 percent of its minutes.

Several SEC rivals, meanwhile, are being gutted by graduation and the NBA draft, most notably Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

Kentucky will reload and be a top-five team again but the Vols are grateful for some familiarity.

"Our chemistry,'' said McBee, "will be a whole lot better. It'll be our second year getting to play with everybody.''

Toward that end, an August trip to Italy will provide a jump-start. Three incoming signees will be on board, along with redshirt freshman Quenton Chievous.

"I want to thank the whole coaching staff for staying on me when I didn't want to go to practice, knowing I wasn't going to play,'' Chievous said Thursday.

"They really put me through it.''

They still are.

Follow Mike Strange at http://twitter.com/strangemike44 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/strange.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

We probably won't hear a great deal more about the BasketVols until the April signing period, then the RTL, and finally the trip to Italy. That doesn't mean they won't be working to get better, though. If everybody stays healthy and works on skills--wish I had read something about how they are trying to improve Richardson's shooting, among others--the Vols should be MUCH improved next year. I can hardly wait!

VFL70 writes:

UT will have pretty deep bench next year; they should do fairly well.

asleep#212036 writes:

It's going to be very interesting to see how they do with expectations raised a bit. It's sometimes easier to play with abandon when nobody expects you to win. Bruce Pearl made his legacy at UT on his first couple of teams. Once he established and maintained a level of competitiveness, the recruits starting coming and UT hoops were back on the map. Martin's style, on and off the court, is 180 degrees from BP and yet he could enjoy similar success. Next year will be crucial. Lose fewer than 10 games and run a bit in the NCAA's and once again, he will have the ears of some elite recruits. With MSU, Vandy, Missouri (remember them?),and Bama all losing several players, only Florida and perennial power Kentucky should be projected in front of us in the conference. 25 wins is not out of the question. Can hardly wait for the opening tip. Go Vols!!!

cwbytruckers writes:

I hope the non conference schedule doesn't have Oakland and College of Charleston and that power house Austin Peay.

born2ride writes:

Has Martin found a point guard?

in response to johnlg00:

I intend to watch football a little more this year than last, but I still prefer basketball. I'd love to get a McBee type shooter with some ball handling skills.lol But I think Richardson can play. He should spend a lot of time in the gym. I hope the new comers are diamonds. Golly sooo many needs but expectations are still high.
I like that. 20 wins may still be rough if our point position doesn't take control at key moments of the game...well the whole game really. But Golden I thought became outstanding overall. He does need someone to fill in it seems. We need a defensive point that can play with abandon at the stretches he comes in.
I hope Hall is healthy. I hope Miller is healthy. I hope Makanjuola can Makan the shotta.hehe(sorry). WE MUST have Maymon healthy. He's become our leader I think. To be top 20 we need McRae to do his thing or one of the new guys to show us he can be a "go to". We need an outside threat in addition to McBee. He's been only certain in certain spots(I'll let you break down the mechanics.
Who'd I leave out? I find myself thinking Washpun needs to learn offense but if he does I hope we don't play them.hehe
I'm still tempted to hope for a "real" point guard. I think Golden will keep his spot but he really needs a backup and our guards just need help. If our passing and positioning doesn't improve then we'll still be a lower top 20's to 30's team. I think they'll be working hard on that and putting in some new plays to the middle.
I hope I made sense here at 5:30 am.ha
OH yeah!? Our mop up crew may be wiped out. Summit gone. I can't think of the other dude's name?

in response to born2ride:

Has Martin found a point guard?

While I know your dissing Golden I still think you are somewhat right. But it's very easy to point out the weaknesses. Golden also has a lot of strengths to build on this summer. He really needs a backup more than a replacement. I think he'll fix the other problems such as defense against quicker opponents and passing lanes etc.
Sure he needs work but so would any other player in this league. He didn't come in NBA ready as some of you like to point out but usually even 5 star players don't either.imho

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Ryan Kilmartin, Rob Murphy, Galen Campbell, and Brandon Lopez.
I'm not sure if these will all be mop up crew? Supposedly they all are equals in spring practice.
But I apologize for forgetting you guys in an earlier comment.

in response to slaw_way:

You must be a very young poster not to remember any teams but Pearl's. By your standards Kentucky wouldn't have had any good teams the last 5 or six years. NCs come along rarely for even the best programs. A few programs get final four more than others. But that still is difficult for them. I loved Pearl's teams though.
I loved the attention that was positive during his tenure. I hated what was left in his last year here. A team that had given up way before the season had ended. You know media what it is.
But in all honesty I am happy we decided to get a new coach. Not because I didn't like Pearl...but because I really admire Martin. I don't think he'll ever lie about a bbq. Hope not.
That said let's just let Pearl go and quit using his mistakes over and over to get people to read the articles. He IS gone. He WON'T be back at UT.
I'm pretty sure.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Wow! Bleacher Report said that Stokes should have signed with Florida!? Well Bleacher Report? Stokes is already 2 up on the vaunted Florida team. Next season he'll be at least 4 and O against the Gators!! WHEN he is a Junior he'll be 8 and 0 at least. He may not stay for his Senior year but who knows? Hope springs eternal.

in response to Won_and_Done:

I recognize this was to John but this being a public forum I'd like to get the point too. It's a little over my head I think.

in response to slaw_way:

Actually I wasn't really thinking of your post as much as others on here who have belittled UT throughout time eternal. I loved the Pearl era but don't hold out any hope of his return. I don't even want it now that we have an exceptional coach in Martin. I DO understand your view point about what Pearl had here before the mindfart. But he's been brought up on posts here over and over like some expect him to come back. Even if he could it would not be fair to Martin. Plus Pearl would struggle considering how he left.
I didn't mean that you shouldn't complement Pearl. Of course you have every right to do so.

Vol_Stuck_in_GA writes:

The trolls can bash me all they want, but I like this coach!

Bubba_Knows writes:

Shouldn't lose the early games they were suppose to win now that they have Stokes, but until they improve at point guard and cut down on the turnovers, the improvement bar will only go so high.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to Vol_Stuck_in_GA:

The trolls can bash me all they want, but I like this coach!

I like Coach Martin too. He can defintely coach. Other than Stokes who kind of fell in his lap because he had a scholly that some of the other better schools did not have, who has he recruited? This could spell his downfall. No question he gets the most out of the talent he has though. If I were him, I'd go for an assistant coach that can recruit with the best of them like Pearl had. Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program longterm.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to slaw_way:

To be fair, the NCAA only had 32 teams back when Mears was taking his teams to the NCAA and the talent was more concentrated back then. I don't think Pearl's teams could have stayed on the court with Bernard King, Ernie G, and Mike Jackson. On the other hand, Mears star system may not have worked as well today because of the shot clock. He would have had less time to get the ball to his high percentage shooters. One thing Mears stressed was fundamentals like defense, rebounding and free throw shooting. I think he was better than Pearl in these areas. I will admit Pearl's faster tempo was fun to watch and nobody has had a better inbound's defense than Pearl. Both great coaches. I'd also add Coach Devoe and Coach O'Neil as very good coaches that the Vols had. Before you beat me up on O'Neil - look at what he did against Pearl TWICE with less talent. He coached a very young team which is why he struggled offensively when he was coaching at Tenn. His defense was second to none of the coaches above. I also liked Devoe a lot, but I do not put him at the same level with Mears, Pearl, and O'Neil.

westknoxrepub writes:

I had high expectations this year, because Bruce Pearl actually met and exceeded expectations. . .Martin's fans seem happy with an NIT berth. . .although once Stokes is gone it's going to be grim reality unless he improves his recruiting, which to this point has been very very sub par.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I hope I made sense here at 5:30 am.ha

Washpun won't be doing anything at UT. He was granted a release.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

I often disagree with your comments, but I think the recruiting concern of Martin is legit. If Martin does not start bringing in better talent, it will not matter how good of a coach he is. Where I think you and I disagree is on how good of a coach Martin is. I say he is an excellent coach.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

You had high expectations this year? BS! I've read your inane comments on here and not once have you lauded either Martin or Dooley. According to every one of your posts we will be in the cellar until UT hires Div. I coaches. How phoney can one be?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

I don't think he's a BAD coach. . .I just think he underestimated what it takes to succeed in the SEC and has made very questionable recruiting decisions. Washpun should have never been offered a scholarship. Instead of recruiting five players last year he should have probably only taken three. The fact is like Dooley he appears to be learning on the job, and with what Pearl had established, this should not be a job you learn on.

underthehill writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Martin had a successful year..success improves recruiting..it is much too early to question Martin's recruiting as suspect..he did an excellent job getting Stokes regardless of what the circumstances were..he impressed Stokes and his parents...not all talented basketball players have parents who want their children to go for the money alone and not be worried about their education..I think Martin has shown he wants his players to attend class and get an education and this is far different from most successful coaches..I think more parents will notice...and I think Martin will do what is necessary to improve the point guard play..especially late in games..hope I'm right..

GerryOP writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Lil' Westie, don't you get tired of being wrong? His recruiting decisions have yet to be proven wrong (Some might say he has been proven right!) and he clearly succeeded in SEC this past year.

Without digging into past posts, you essentially predicited a total disaster for '11-'12. You were wrong and you continue to be wrong when it comes to Coach Martin. The hatred you show for Coach Martin is really not normal.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to born2ride:

Has Martin found a point guard?

two of them

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to GerryOP:

None of his recruits produced last year (Stokes is a Pearl Recruit who wouldn't have looked at UT had Pearl not started the process). Washpun is a bust, and should have never been offered a scholarship, so yeah, I'll call that a bad recruiting decision. Now he's stuck without a scholarship to sign a point guard with. That's bad decision making. It was a disappointing year, we made the NIT, making the NIT isn't an achievment when you've made the NCAA tournament for six years in a row. He took Washpun's scholarship and signed another three star guard that no respectable team wanted. I'm not going to doubt every other top level coach in America who passed on these kids and just assume Coach Martin has the greatest eye for unknown talent ever. Until Richardson, Chevious, Miller, and Yemi actually start leading this team to victory, I maintain he's done a lackluster job recruiting.

GerryOP writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

1. Disappointing season? Maybe. But he far exceeded everyone's expectations ... certainly yours. Not acceptable, but far better than anyone expected. Maybe you don't realize that Coach Martin's '11-'12 record (19-15, 10-6) is actually better than Pearl's '10-'11 record (19-15, 8-8). Why the extreme hatred for Coach Martin?

2. You're mistaken, Stokes was a Martin recruit. Even Stokes says that. But for you to continuously deny that fact certainly supports your uncontained hatred of Coach Martin.

3. Without a scholly to offer? How long is it until early signing? Do you know Coach Martin's strategy? No, you simply insist that he makes bad decisions when many of his recruits are not even yet on campus let alone on the floor. Oh, because no one else wants them makes them bad recruits .... by your definition ... because you hate Coach Martin?

4. None of his recruits produced last year? A truly negative over-arching statement. The fact that our Vols far exceeded your negative predictions tells me that everyone on the team produced. But you can't admit that because you hate Coach Martin.

Really Lil' Westie, why all the hatred for Coach Martin and your love for a proven scoundrel like Pearl? Oh, yes, by hook and by crook and by BBQing and by being proven a liar, Pearl took UT to the NCAA tournament and last year got embarrassing blown out in R1 ... and he also came perilously close to putting us on probation.

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

Washpun won't be doing anything at UT. He was granted a release.

NO Kidding? If you're going to respond to my post please read all of it. I don't want to "PLAY THEM" (as in wherever he is now).
I doesn't say at all that he's still here. But I appreciate the effort to fix the statement if you were sincere.

in response to westknoxrepub:

I often disagree with your comments. hmmm maybe all of them. I may even disagree this time with Bubba.? We need to wait till the 2nd year for Martin to see if he gels another team. The way I see it is that right now a decent passing point would gel us.
We may get a coupla top recruits but if we don't I hope that this next season draws some. If we can stay in the top 20 we'll be a long shot ahead of where we were at beginning of last season. Patience WKR

in response to GerryOP:

You deserved to be re-posted.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

it must be sad to be you

DannyVol writes:

Who writes these headlines? They are horrible most of the time.

in response to Won_and_Done:

wasn't really worried.lol I think John is plenty smart...but I didn't know that was a requirement for this message board? If it was then most of the posts would disappear. Obviously I guess it isn't. Golly they don't require it for the articles either sometimes. But heck it's free!!

Oh yeah. GBO

in response to DannyVol:

Who writes these headlines? They are horrible most of the time.

I usually like...welll usually enjoy taking shots at KNS but I don't necessarily find the title to this one awful. I DID read the article. It's the ones that involve old rerun news that I hate. Over and over and over etc.
When do we get a break down of the Vol's roster for next year. You know, a team thing.What about the newbs coming in? Who are the possible signees coming besides the already recruited!? What's the progression of Maymon's recovery and other player's injuries? What are the stats on the new kids coming? Lot's of good titles there. But the next one will be about how a former coach is doing and what's up with him...guessing. Maybe I'm just impatient for next season.

in response to Won_and_Done:

I would come up with a more intelligent response if I understood what you were trying to say. Maybe I'm just NOT that smart.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You're not a smart man, but you know something about love Jenny. F. Gump

As I have said before, I think some who put down Martin's recruiting are missing an important point. No one doubts that talent is a very key need for any successful team. However, I was particularly struck by a comment from one of the NCAA analysts--I think it was Kenny Smith, but I wouldn't swear to it. He said that "talent" as usually understood by the general public is not as important as the ability to make proper decisions on the court. The team that wins most often is the one that most consistently makes the ROUTINE plays, i.e., makes the SMART pass, hits the OPEN shot, maintains SOUND defensive position, and so on.

Martin is not a "talent" coach, he is a PROGRAM coach. He will develop players to play the way he wants them to. When they are experienced and physically mature, as they will be by the time they are juniors and seniors, they will KNOW what the right plays are and will make them as a matter of HABIT. They will not get flustered when they make occasional mistakes or miss shots or when the opponents go on a little run. Martin's teams will rarely be flashy but they will rarely beat themselves.

I think we will see a much sharper and more self-assured Vol team next year. Furthermore, even if Martin DOESN'T sign a lot of top-drawer new talent, the 2013-4 team will STILL be highly competitive because those eminently repeatable aspects of smart, disciplined play will be embodied by the currently less-touted players he already has. If he adds the RIGHT KIND of more-talented players in the future, so much the better.

in response to EightLetters:

Hey!!!!! Kentucky has 8 letters! Golly Wildcats has 8 letters??? IGNORANT has eight letters! Crazyman has 8 letters. I'mbored has 8 letters if you count the '. eightletters has eightletters!!! Wellll it says it does.
Stupidposts has 11 letters but who cares about that?

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to Won_and_Done:

Same to you Won_and_Done. I like to yank a few porcelain chains too.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to EightLetters:

I just threw up a little in my mouth!

in response to Won_and_Done:

Hmmm MAYBE he just needs some o them expansion pills you got.

in response to Won_and_Done:

Golly Beaver! John I think he thought I was serious? won n done scares me a little.

brod writes:

it is hard to say how many players were signed last year to be stop-gaps, like washpun and miller. after chris jones was declared ineligible, martin needed to sign a back up point guard. washpun was his choice. if you don't think that tennessee needed a back up for golden, then you must not have watched the mtsu game. i don't consider this year to be a disappointment over all because of the losses of tobias harris and scotty hopson. i would have accepted an nit bid before the year began. there were some really bad losses early in the year, but i would say that the team performed above expectations in the sec schedule and played well against uconn as well. the season ended on a disappointment, with some obvious scoring concerns to be addressed for next year. those long droughts like the end of the mtsu game can't happen.

in response to Won_and_Done:

Yep, just kickin' back watching you two like I was at a tennis match. Kinda like attending one's own funeral(;-P)! On an earlier subject, I'm not sure my mind could stand too much more "expanding"; I think I hit my lifetime limit on that about 35 or 40 years ago, if you get my drift.

in response to Won_and_Done:

Yeah man I could use a match. Unfortunately like Brother John I just don't anymore. Serve me somethin' else and I'll lob it at the net for you.

hmmmahem?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to brod:

Making the NIT should ALWAYS be a disappointment.

in response to Won_and_Done:

OK, I'm stumped!

in response to Won_and_Done:

OK, I think I've got it now. I actually got it a couple of days ago, but I've been busy so this is the first time I've been on here lately. BTW, if you think that guy is going to be better than AD--as some have said, if not you--well, all I've gotta say is I'll believe it when I see it.

in response to Won_and_Done:

Not sure what you mean by your "'ahem' plight". I'm not into scoping out people's deep, dark secrets. If you have a problem that bothers you, you have my sympathy and I surely hope you can resolve it satisfactorily. Not that I mind bantering with you, but sometimes you are a little too subtle for my simple, open, trusting nature to fully grasp.