Arkansas calls news conference over Bobby Petrino crash

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long has called an evening news conference to discuss the situation of suspended football coach Bobby Petrino.

The news conference is set for 7:15 p.m. CDT Tuesday.

Petrino was involved in a March 31 motorcycle crash outside of Fayetteville and Long suspended him after learning Petrino failed to disclose he had a passenger — a 25-year-old female employee.

Petrino released a statement Thursday after a police report revealed Jessica Dorrell was on the motorcycle with him in which he said he was trying to conceal an inappropriate relationship. Petrino is married and has four children.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

blueze2 writes:

You are an idiot..

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

I'm surprised they fired him.

BankerVol writes:

Typical toddygirl.

dvols writes:

Fulmer to ARK!

keepitreal4vols writes:

This is why you must spay and neuter your hogs.

juce writes:

petrino to vols after this season if dooley flames out

Huttdawg100 writes:

I wonder what Otha Peters is thinking...

voloffaith writes:

Some of these posts are hilarious....Fulmer here....Petrino there....they ain't going nowhere...Petrino needs to try and save his marriage and minimize the impact of pain and suffering to his children also.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Good for Arky, if a player had done anything like this he would have been booted from his scholarship no questions asked..Coaches can't expect to get respect from their athletes if they can't keep themselves out of trouble..

VolUpInCumming writes:

in response to toddyboy:

If you look up the term "Fecal matter for brains", your picture will be found.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to toddyboy:

100.00 dollars was Kiffin's buyout, not Dooley's..

thevoice writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I praise Arky for doing the right thing. If an institution of higher learning is not about integrity, then it's not about higher learning. Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, Arky... all did the right thing. Sometimes sports takes a back seat, and rightfully so.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor really shocked they fire him (When confirmed) Witch Doctor say ouch! Witch Doctor ask Ortho Peters hows it feel sucka? Witch Doctor say and Bruce get fired over hot dogs...lol
Bones never lie.

suttree writes:

Terry Bowden. Mike Price. Bobby Petrino. In the SEC you apparently need to use discretion. Good for Arkansas. I agree with this decision. Hope tomorrow's news is the wife filing divorce papers and Ark hiring Dooley!!!

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Two successful coaches fired in the past two years over weiner issues. Bruce grilled some and served them to college juniors, Petrino was giving his to some blonde half his age.

notorange writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

Hilarious..........+2

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

The moral of the story is keep your hotdog in it's bun..Just sayin'

tnsportsman writes:

AD Hart go hire Bobby Petrino now for UT Football! Line up some legal age blondes that DOES NOT work for UTAD and all is good, LOL!

GO VOLS, ALWAYS!

dvols writes:

by the way

what has Petrino ever won???

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to toddyboy:

So if Petrino fell into your lap, you would take advantage of him.
I'm not surprised to hear that.

Volz4life writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

I wonder what Otha Peters is thinking...

I was thinking the same thing Hutt... Arkansas is a nice school, and yes they have outperformed us the past few years. But traditionally, it's not even close what the better football school is. And everyone knows what a p.o.s. petrino is, so someone around this kid should have warned him something may happen. Let's face it, the only reason he went to Arkansas was petrino, he even alluded to that in his comments. He should've know this could happen, maybe not this specifically, but possibly up and leave in the middle of the night (like he did with the Falcons). That's why you choose a school, not a coach. Also, he is a great coach, but they never have recruited all that well, even with petrino. So unless they hire a great coach, which will be next to impossible at this point, they could be in trouble. I wish the kid luck, but I bet he wishes he would've kept his word and stayed with the vols. Pick a school, not a coach

Volz4life writes:

in response to toddyboy:

This is not going to happen, and I like Dooley, and I am willing to give Dooley one more year to show big improvements... But man, thinking of what Petrino could do with Bray, Hunter, Rogers, and the new wide recievers we are getting this year.. Whoa, talk about lighting up the scoreboard

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

Petrino apparently won't be a "Hog" for long, but he'll always be a pig.

Volz4life writes:

in response to toddyboy:

So you're not stuck in Fayetteville, Arkansas with a school that has no chance at a championship.. If Dooley doesn't get it done this year (not championship, but major improvement) then we could hire a coach who can get us back there. One thing Dooley has done well is recruit... So another coach can come in and bring us to the top with the talent we have, and the talent we have coming in.. I bet we get to a championship before Arkansas does (now)? We will always be able to recruit, and out recruit Arkansas.. That's why I was saying that and given the fact that it is well known Petrino sucks at life, so chances of him being there all 4 years arent that great.

CarlChilders writes:

Not really a situation to make sport of. He made a mistake and is paying big time. Maybe I'm being hypersensitive but football is secondary to a family destroyed.

Volz4life writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Yeah, but nobody is going to hire him before the season starts.. Given he is a p.o.s., I am not totally opposed to hiring him. If, and big if, Dooley doesnt work out this year, you could have the chance to hire him next season after everything calms down a little. I still would try to hire another big name coach without all the baggage, and doubt very seriously we would make that hire (Petrino) because of all the baggage. But if we get that desperate, we could still hire him in the offseason. We will know before the end of September if Dooley is going to be here next year

GONAVY writes:

First Nutt and his relationship with News Anchor D____a B___g in Ft. Smith..."text gate"...now Petrino...what is it with HC and Arkansas???

rockypop writes:

in response to toddyboy:

You obviously aren't a UT graduate. Probably not a graduate of anywhere. Just a meaningless, spineless voice in the wilderness that will never be heard. No question - you're a "boy" and not a "man." How could you even begin to want a coach who has had serious character problems everywhere he's been?

Volz4life writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Well, as of right now if we were better than Arkansas we would be in the sec championship game.. But no, I Am definitely not satisfied with being better than Arkansas, and no, I am not satisfied with Dooley, I just said I liked him (as a person). I am willing to give him this year because of what he has walked in to, but if he doesnt get it done this year, I'll be the first to say he should go

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to GONAVY:

Kevin O'Neall,Bruce Pear, Lane Kiffin.

rockypop writes:

in response to toddyboy:

OK - I'll concede you're being heard. But who's drinking your Kool-Aid? Winning games with a reject from Arkansas with a long track record of lying, cheating and covering up at every place he's been isn't really winning at all is it? It's more like settling. It smacks of desperation, and Tennessee is much better than that.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to dvols:

Fulmer to ARK!

Now I am really feeling sorry for the Hawg fans.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to rockypop:

Are we Mitchell? Are we?

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Will you wear your red dress for Bobby? Inquiring minds want to know.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to Volz4life:

Honestly, I suspect foul play . You're absolutely correct: Petrino has never recruited well at AR (at least not well enough to knock off Bama). They weren't in it until the end of january. When Peters flipped, he tweeted something about "Arkansas has a lot of pretty girls". I also read that Peters' mom was livid about the flip. (I could see Dooley and his VFL program going over well with parents)

That said, I think Peters is a Vol with a win in Lexington. I doubt if we get Santos, but I'm pretty confident that Peters would've come to Knoxville if we had beaten Kentucky.

rockypop writes:

in response to toddyboy:

You are exactly what college football doesn't need. A fan with little affiliation with a university, with a need to win to be a "big guy" among his friends and to feel important to himself. My guess is that when Dooley turns this ship around, you'll be the first passenger.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Ed Orgeron is telling Arkansas players not to go to class tomorrow. That includes signees still in high school.

BigOrangeSlim writes:

Let me just say this. Winning is very important, however it is not everything. How many arrest have we had to hear about since CDD got here? How many times has a vol been in the paper because of his behavior. Take away Darick and you hear nothing! I think he is headed in the wrong direction. Just takes awhile!

MemphisHog writes:

Tough, tough day over here. Running the gamut of emotions from angry, sad, frustrated, proud of our AD for doing what he had to do. Feeling bad the most for the guys like Tyler Wilson and Knile Davis who could have gone to the NFL after last season but chose to come back. Tough day to be a Razorback fan.

PEYDAY writes:

in response to toddyboy:

You have no clue. LK was bad enough but this guy would make LK look like a saint. Petrino is psychopathic. I bet he really thought he was going to get away with those things and that he was justified in treating all the people the way he did along the way. That includes the people in Atlanta and the folks in the UAAD that he stepped on. This could not have happened to a "nicer" guy. And now you want to bring him to Knoxville??? You must really be a Vandy fan. Go ahead and admit it, you love the commodores. Don't hide it, just be proud of it. People are more willing to accept things they don't agree with it if you are honest about it, just ask Bobby Petrino.

PEYDAY writes:

in response to MemphisHog:

I am a UT alumni and a UA alumni. I feel bad for the razorback fans who supported this guy. I feel worse for the players. As a UT fan I am glad he is gone and hope he doesn't make it back to the SEC! He was a heck of a football coach but a creep also. I am glad the UAAD understands that winning cannot be at any cost. This isn't the NFL we are talking about, this is the NCAA. We still need to keep in mind all the kids that are playing for us and trying to give us a reason to cheer on and off the field. Unfortunately I think UT has lost site of that in the past. Hopefully we will learn from our past mistakes and remember that winning morals are always more important that winning scores.

docwater#225789 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

A clear cut case of "Hide the weenie" gone bad....

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Hey Arky, the WAC has several coaches with overall losing records who would love to run a big boys pants SEC football program.

haystack writes:

I understand the points people are making about Petrino and having chracter issues, but he cheated on his wife, there are many men who have done that. That is his personal business, to be fired because of that reason is ridiculous. I mean I want Tennessee to win, and Dooley is NOT the guy. Everyone on this thread make it seem as though Dooley has perfect character, but he has his flaws too. But who give a rat's butt about character flaws when it comes to coaching a football team? Saban had chracter flaws when he took the Alabama job, and he is beloved in Tuscaloosa. It is just football, why not hire a winner? For the point regarding he is a developer of young men, I can tell you this if by 18-21 if you didn't have a foundation prior to that I have serious questions regarding a Football coaches ability to change that.