Vols' Marlin Lane works on hitting holes hard

UT tailback Marlin Lane carries the ball during practice at Haslam Field on Saturday, March 31, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS/2012

KNOXVILLE — Tennessee tailback Marlin Lane knows he can't hesitate when the football's in his hands.

Doing so last fall cost him yards. Doing so this spring could cost him carries.

Lane's stats weren't pretty in the Volunteers' first scrimmage of spring practice last Friday, while backfield mates Rajion Neal and Devrin Young delivered eye-catching performances.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Good luck figuring it out Marlin. We need you man!

CoverOrange writes:

Tauren Poole got most of his 1,000 yard his junior year bouncing it outside when there wasn't anywhere to go inside. the O-line has to make a hole first and either you have to be a fast guy to zip through it or a bull guy to push through it. Neal and Young are fast. Which is Lane?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I'm not disagreeing but Dooley's correct in that the backs were hesitant and seemed to be wary of getting hit. They'd stop sometimes with room ahead and let the defense catch up. However I didn't get to watch but a few games.

AlcoVOLic writes:

Chattanooga Times Free Press = insight of what's going on with the program
Knoxville News Sentinel = fear mongering, bashing the programs, and hyping our rivals

Why is it that KNS, who's located about one mile from the school, can't give this kind of insight? Instead we get twenty opinion columns from John Adams a week, all of which are inspired by some turn-of-phrase he thought up that made him chuckle, but in fact has no humor or reporting value.

But I digressed there...nice article CTFP!

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to AlcoVOLic:

Chattanooga Times Free Press = insight of what's going on with the program

But I digressed there...nice article CTFP!

I agree!

AllVol311 writes:

when did Marlin switch his # to 15?

givehim6 writes:

in response to slaw_way:

I knew all this last year but saw him give those moments of great running as he fought to gain a neaded first down. Other backes fell on the first hit, but Lane had that fight in him at times. Anyway I said I liked Lanes heart but most were so down on UT last year ( troll, posser, or luke warm fan) to say any thing good about a player or any one on the coaching staff was like committing a sin. Hope Lane and all the RB's have a good year and run the ball down other teams troughts. GO VOLS!

willblitz4bacon writes:

I would have Mr.Lane watch some tapes of my favorite running back Charlie Garner.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Yea. I thought the same thing. A lot of holes were hit hard back in the day and we didn't even play football.

DannyVol writes:

in response to AlcoVOLic:

Chattanooga Times Free Press = insight of what's going on with the program

But I digressed there...nice article CTFP!

I've been saying the same thing for a long time and have gotten bashed plenty for it by people who, for whatever reason, think that Adams is a good writer. I could go on and on about the disservice that the KNS does to its readership, but the overall truth is that the KNS has the least fan friendly sports section of all the SEC hometown newspapers. What other SEC paper would repeatedly publish blistering criticisms of the program it covers (and makes a living from) on game days when scores of recruits are in town? What other sports editor could survive that? No one expects the sports section to be a cheerleader, just not be a constant black cloud of negativity and contempt. If not for Austin Ward and the contributions of the CFTP, the KNS sports section would be unreadable and worthless to UT fans. KNS had Patrick Brown as a stringer, but allowed the CFTP to hire him away on its staff; I suppose having Ward around was all the objectivity and insight that Adams could tolerate...or allow.

in response to willblitz4bacon:

I loved watching Garner, too, but I'm not sure how much good watching his tapes will do for Lane. They are completely different body types and running styles. To the point, Garner WAS a back who could dance in the hole and then dart through the tiniest sliver; Lane actually strikes me, from the little I have seen of him, as more like a Jay Graham in build and running style.