John Adams: UT defense needs to pick up speed

John Adams

Research isn't required to appreciate Derek Dooley's commitment to size. An eye test will suffice.

Tennessee's third-year coach has built a bigger football team. Some of his defensive ends look like nose tackles, and some of his linebackers look like defensive ends.

But his rebuilding job can't be measured solely on a set of scales. Last year's Arkansas game was a reminder of that.

Among the glaring differences between the teams was Arkansas' offensive speed contrasted with UT's lack of speed on defense. The Vols could neither pressure quarterback Tyler Wilson nor keep up with Arkansas' receivers, even when the receiver was 215-pound running back Dennis Johnson.

When UT football was really rolling, its defense was leading the way — in a hurry. I can still see defensive tackle John Henderson chase down a ball carrier 50 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Now, the Vols can't catch anybody from Arkansas with a ball under his arm.

The decline in speed on defense isn't a one-season phenomenon. It's years in the making. And it's exacerbated in a conference famous for fast defenses.

Dooley was asked after Tuesday morning's practice if someone watching

videotape of his defense would immediately conclude "That's an SEC defense."

"When you say an 'SEC defense,' there are 14 teams in the league now," he said. "Let's face it. There are some tiers. You look at the top 10 teams in the nation defensively, and there's three or four 4 SEC teams."

Alabama, LSU and South Carolina finished first through third nationally in team defense last season. UT was 27th, a respectable ranking given the team's limitations.

But Dooley wasn't impressed.

"The bigger issue for me: 'Are you impacting the game?' That's something I didn't think we did at all last year."

More speed might help. So will the new 3-4 alignment, according to linebacker A.J. Johnson.

"The offense really doesn't know where we're coming from," Johnson said. "I get to blitz a lot more. I see myself being able to get to the quarterback."

If any Vol can get to the quarterback, that will qualify as spectacular progress. Tennessee was tied for 100 nationally in sacks last season. It also was tied for 91st in turnovers gained.

Each statistical ranking backs up Dooley's contention that the defense didn't make enough happen last season. The most relevant question: How much better can it be this go-round?

It will be bigger. You can't be so sure about the speed — from the front line to the secondary. Incoming recruits could accelerate the process. So could the development of younger players.

Rising sophomore cornerback Justin Coleman came up for discussion after Tuesday's practice. Dooley's response was encouraging for a secondary whose starting positions aren't all settled.

"He has gone up the whole spring," Dooley said. "He has got everything you want at the cornerback position — height, weight, speed, athleticism, ball skills. And he's taking coaching better than he ever has."

Dooley believes the defense is picking up speed overall, too. But he has a higher speed in mind.

"If you can't get the big guys, you better at least have speed," he said. "You gotta have something."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

Pick up SPEED?????? Surely you know Doodley has an anti-drug policy written into the Vol-For-Life contract.

Oh...you mean speed when involved in UT football!

Well even last year's defensive COACHES got out of Knoxville like lightning, to get away from Doodley and his OC!

Whadyamean "pick up speed?"

Dalton writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Oh...you mean speed when involved in UT football!

Whadyamean "pick up speed?"

You shouldn't read material that upsets you so...basically any article on this website...I know I know you can usually count on the grim reaper to prop up the Neg but he's trying a new tack on objectivity for the time being and until his coffin bed beckons you're going to have to jump up and down by yourself....little hissy fit Fauntleroy....picking up speed means play at a higher speed....now try not to be so simple when you're crossing the street of your big boy school....RUN FORREST!

Ttown writes:

Always about the hogs dude they suck so they got lucky a few years stop with the hogs

PUL4VOLS writes:

I think the defense will be better all around. And last year is in no way a measuring stick. I hope that is true for the running game too, it'll be better that is.

Vol_Stuck_in_GA writes:

John, I'm very disappointed in you. I thought you were a die-hard LSU fan and you spend a whole article bragging about Arkansas. What will your Tigers think of you? (By the way, I don't think you know this but you write for a TENNESSEE paper and TENNESSEE has a team that is going to surprise a lot of people next year... you might consider writing about them) Go VOLS!

jack4444 writes:

It has been years since Tennessee had the depth they currently have- 35-40 real live SEC caliber players. Maybe Dooley can't coach, maybe he can learn. Regardless, they are better off than they have been since the salad days.

tovolny writes:

Speed at corner, speed at safety, speed at linebacker...?...Waggner, Randolph, Maggit...and Smith at DE. Are the speeds listed out of high school that wrong? Are the speeds that we hear about from various sources that wrong? Actually, the problem with Arkansas was tackling, and our defense being out of position about 60% of the time. Our defensive coaching effort (assistants not Dooley) was pretty much just way off track.
With a healthy Bray and Hunter (and Young) we might have been able to have kept up offensively with Arkansas. Is Adams concerned with our defensive speed(?)...you tell me. Or, is his purpose to remind us of the old fashion a** kicking that the Hogs laid on us? When was the last time Adams wrote something that shows a research effort? When was the last time Adams wrote something from an "in depth" interview. KNS allows him to remain around by writing at the level of a high school sophomore. ANYWAY, the Alabama, LSU, SC, Arkansas, and Georgia games last year revealed and demonstrated a weakness pretty much across the board. I like Dooley as a person and Dooley as a coach. With parents like his, I just think he will soon be successful...he may even become great.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to Dalton:

Dalton...
There is not way to say this nicely; I have tried to think of something that would explain to you that you do not use sarcasm very well, and your ability to use the English language is not good enough to try that kind of thing.
So here goes:

You would be much better if you kept your commentary at the level of

"See Spot pass gas,"

which would be nowhere near as odious as your writing abilities.

You are out of your league, boy.

Perhaps you could try condescending to someone from Alabama; someone there may be at a level to which you could actually condescend.

papavol writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Dalton...
So here goes:

You would be much better if you kept your commentary at the level of

"See Spot pass gas,"

which would be nowhere near as odious as your writing abilities.

You are out of your league, boy.

Dude, are you really trying to make fun of someone's writing abilities? Your first sentence starts out; "There is not way to say this nicely". FAIL...

go back to first grade English class you illiterate imbecile.

Snapshot writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

The only thing you need to speed up is your becoming an adult.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Speed Kills! Chavis understood this.

gc_scvol writes:

Again, John, your dislike of CDD comes thru. I've heard it said that you are upset because CDD doesn't give unlimited access to his football program. I don't know this to be true, but it sure seems you have a grudge for some reason. Why the KNS will keep anybody around that is obviously a fan of whomever is playing OUR TENNESSEE VOLS escapes me. And you VRT # 65877, should brush up on your grammar before you try to correct someone else. Is condescending your new word for the day? And You, SBR, are really pathetic...I'm just saying..GBO..VFL..Get in. or get out.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

GC SCVol,

Correct sir. Why else did U T allow this clown to be on the sideline in that O & W game? To pacify him inasmuch as he and his media sidekicks were prevented from the practice sessions. It bothers the heck out of him/them when they don't "know everything" that's going on. Whenever I see an article by Adams it's cringe time........you pretty much know the tone of what he's going to say.

As for the couple of trolls with their childish "Doo-leave" comments......by now they have proven to be the idiots we knew they are. Recognize them and the already referenced 'sports writer in question' and consider the source.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

GC SCVol,

Thanks for the info. That makes sense to me. If the aforementioned writer would at least pretend ot be a vol fan, and write a positive article occasionally, he might be more respected by the university, and gain more access. I'm just sayin GBO..VFL

1manningfan writes:

Dont post a lot but on here and read every article. here's my 2 cents- this is Dooley's 3rd season on the hill and i EXPECT to see vast improvement! If not then perhaps Hart needs to look elsewhere. We have a very good team that can get to the SECCG if everyone involved stays focused and determined to challenge themselves to compete every week this fall. I'm a beleiver of given a coach time to implement his foundation and i think Dooley now has had the time and players to turn the corner this up coming season. I will support this staff until i see further proof for 2012. Go Vols!!!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to toddyboy:

It would be so beneath me to take your comments seriously, and reply, that I shall use my computer for more noble and glorious purposes.

Cldvols1 writes:

The idea of bringing back a defense similar to the likes of Al Wilson, John Henderson and Eric Westmoreland sounds great, especially after looking like a high school squad compared to a lot of other O's last season! But yes speed kills and if and when coupled with size can be a deadly combo. As I am every year I'm excited to see the work these guys are putting in...including the offense. Can't wait to watch the Vols in the Jawja Dome and hear the words "It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!!

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to papavol:

go back to first grade English class you illiterate imbecile.

You are correct.

I sometimes use MSWord to spellcheck, since I am old enough to not see letters very well, and spellcheck sometimes decides I meant a word that I did not, thus spelling accordingly.

The "dude" comment is probably more appropriate to you than me, though.
And if this response is too deep for you,
please think of it this way, "my bad." That way you will be able to understand it, without revealing your being lack of literacy.

Thank you for pointing out the splling error. I had not seen it.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Dalton...
So here goes:

You would be much better if you kept your commentary at the level of

"See Spot pass gas,"

which would be nowhere near as odious as your writing abilities.

You are out of your league, boy.

This one is a true Internet Tough Guy!

Noogaorange writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Agree with you about Chaney. Never have been sold on him. He was the first coach I wanted gone...oh well this season will sort everything out. No improvement on offense and Chaney and Dooley both are gone. GBO

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

You have to have speed and size in the SEC or any other major conference. Not knockin DD here, but how many times last season did we see running backs gliding around our ends with no middle/outside LB's in site? I will give up size today for a middle defense with speed. You cant give up 12 yards at a pop!

Vol43 writes:

in response to tovolny:

Good post. Well thought out.

Vol43 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

You're right about ole John boy. I think he's ticked off because coach won't give him the time of day. It's funny, sort of. I would like to see Adams sent to Baton Rouge where he belongs and bring in Chris Low, but that aint gonna happen, I know!

Vol43 writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Toddyboy, I'm not going to get dragged into a back and forth parley with you, but you do need to understand something. Pay attention. For the most part, the posters on here are genuine Tennessee football fans. I'd say most of them have been fans for many years and know the history of UT football. They want what's best for the program, the same as you. We back Coach Dooley. He's the man of the hour. Of course we have our doubts and concerns, but we don't let that get in the way, but you do. We're Tennessee fans first. If coach can't cut the mustard, I'm quite certain his boss will handle it. I'm not getting into a pizzing contest with you, but I want you to know this: In my opinion, you are NOT a Tennessee fan. I don't know why you're here and I don't understand your motive. Just letting you know, little buddy, you're a joke and you're fooling anyone. So, keep on with your Dooley insults and show the world what an idiot you really are.

Vol43 writes:

I should proofread, ahem, that should read "you're not fooling anyone".

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol43 and fellow true Tennessee fans,

43, excellent thoughts on this juvenile Toddy kid. Could not have said it any better. The kid ( Toddy ) and his fellow Dooley attacker, ( Merlot ) may very well be one and the same.

In fact, as juvenile as Toddy is, he also resembles another troll, Bodeane. Again, even they could be one and the same.

Why do we waste time giving the whiners and trolls what they want? The KNS allows them to roost here so yes, it's best to ignore their irrelevant chatter but it's tough sometimes, admittedly.

Thank goodness we do have reputable Tennessee supporters here however ( you, Johnlg, Gerry, NavalOranges, Hounddog, to name a few.

BTW, where is our friend, ProwlinandGrowlinSmokeyDog? Another great poster I miss.

Vol43 writes:

Thanks. I haven't seen 'prowiln' in awhile; neither have I seen spongeboborangepants. Yeah, some of these trolls get under my skin, but one thing's for sure---you aint gonna change 'em. It's good to see HBTV. Go VOLS! It's going to be a very good year. I feel it!

born2ride writes:

Dooley plays defense?

CroKev writes:

in response to toddyboy:

So which team do you pull for?

rtrchatt writes:

Well Bama is bigger and faster than 2012. If true leadership evolves another championship season is on the horizon. Michigan wk 1 and Arkansas wk 3....

CroKev writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Bama has a great team this year and will be favored to win every regular season game except one. Payback will not be pleasant.

CroKev writes:

[Surprise, surprise, none of the following has accepted the challenge thus far]

Voice / Handicapped / Bodeane / Walt / et al.

OK, here's the challenge: If UT wins 8 or more games this year, you all promise to stay off GoVolsXtra for 1 year. If they win 7 or less, then I promise to stay off for a year. Of course, this assumes that we're all men of integrity (i.e., won't change our screen names). I'm confident in my claims; how about you?

trubleoj#657755 writes:

Don't blame the Pig game on the D. The blame begins at the top with AD Hart and the Band. Can anyone tell me the last time "the Band" (I have removed "The Pride of" when referencing the Arky game) did not attend a SEC game? For that matter tell me the last time they didn't travel to any game. But a League game, Smokey? UNacceptable. I was there on the 12th row behind our 6 cheerleaders and 2 Mascots. And don't even try to tell me the AD (and Vice Chancellor) who we just signed to a $3/4 of a million dollar a year deal didn't have the power to make it happen.

Vol43 writes:

in response to CroKev:

[Surprise, surprise, none of the following has accepted the challenge thus far]

Voice / Handicapped / Bodeane / Walt / et al.

Hows about throwing toddygirl into the mix. I understand his Barbie doll ran away while he wasn't looking and all he has now is Ken, which apparently is fine with him. I don't think Barbie was getting much action anyway.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to toddyboy:

A little whiney girl such as yourself calling yourself a "real Vol fan" is as funny as it gets. "Fans" calling for Dooley's head are simply a few Fulmerites, POSERS, and "simple" minded folks that don't comprehend the game. The other 97% plus that DO understand Dooley, and UT have been "REBUILDING", are the only ones that really count. YOU are NOT one of the ones that count. Unless you're talking about POSING.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to toddyboy:

"How much money did dooley have to pay for that over the top excuse story?"

I expected a chickensh__ response from you. Yeah, the uk game. The ONE game you TROLLS have. Since you can't offer a REAL, and FACTUAL response to the piece, how about you name another coach that has only lost ONE game in TWO years the he was suppossed to win.

You know, making you look small is SOOOOOOO easy...

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

"How much money did dooley have to pay for that over the top excuse story?"

You know, making you look small is SOOOOOOO easy...

To all the TRUE TENNESSEE fans. I have a few years on me and many, many miles. I've been a lot of places, some that I didn't really want to go. I have mellowed over the years and have learned that people like TB try to show they're significant by showing their arse by way of their mouth. THEY ARE NOT SIGNIFICANT, and as I have stated before they're not smart enough to make me mad. To quote Roy D. Mercer, "somebody needs a good A--Whoppin (yea, Whoppin). So, one day when these people mature, (some I have my doubts about) they, too, will see "The smarter you try to look, the dumber you appear." And with that I will retire to some quality leisure time and bid you all a BON JOUR.

DannyVol writes:

Adams is something that rhymes with "booshdag." Last year, for a variety of reasons, we were forced to play ends at tackle and he poked fun at our lack of size. This year we are considerably larger up front and all of a sudden we're slow. Not going to get into the specifics of a 3-4 defense, but with size and speed at linebacker we are just fine. A.J. and Curt didn't combine for 140 tackles last year and Herman didn't make 75 in 2010 because they were all stuck in the mud. Jacques can move with the best of them, too. This clown just tries to be a buzz kill every time something positive happens.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Rumors heating up about Fulmer and Arkansas having in depth discussions.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to DannyVol:

Absolutely, 100% correct. The truth is we DO have SIZE AND SPEED. The more Dooley gets this squad up to par in the SEC, the further you'll see ol' johnny reach. He's about out of material due to Dooley's GREAT job of rebuilding this roster. So, I guess the next thing is to be more inventive in his buzz killing.

The last four years have been tough for all REAL Vol fans. The roster FINALLY looks and acts like an SEC roster with, although limited playing-time, depth and plenty of talent. I genuinely wonder how adams is going to handle it once the W's start to come this fall. My guess, "told you they'd be back" will be his new tune.

wallingdad writes:

in response to CroKev:

[Surprise, surprise, none of the following has accepted the challenge thus far]

Voice / Handicapped / Bodeane / Walt / et al.

hmmm... lets see....you are confident that UT wins 8 games...ok...

UT wins all the cupcake non conf games and then beats up on Vandy and Ky. that is 6 wins....

so you are confident that UT goes 2-4 against decent competition in the SEC? Is that really saying anything earthshattering or profound. Is going 2-4 against Fla, Ga, USC, Alabama, Miss St, Missouri really something to brag about?

(and for those that will say...but..but..but... NC State is good!!!....please....if you think that then your expectations have sunken really really low) Imagine using NC State as a measuring stick where we used to use Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, LSU....you get the picture.

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to wallingdad:

hmmm... lets see....you are confident that UT wins 8 games...ok...

Excellent post.

VolnPickwick writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Dooley didn't put us there you idiot! Man, I hope you don't reproduce. Go Vols!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to wallingdad:

hmmm... lets see....you are confident that UT wins 8 games...ok...

You are correct that an 8 wins season has never been acceptable under previous coaches. IMO 8 wins would not be profound or eathshattering. It would, however, be sufficient for me to believe we have made progress and make me believe that Dooley might have what it takes. It would gain more support for Dooley, but also put pressure to improve even more in 2013. If we win 9 next year, then I will be excited and even more confident going in to 2013. If UT cant win 8 games next year, I will be very discouraged and probably wanting a new coach. I just hope Dooley doesnt let us down.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to wallingdad:

hmmm... lets see....you are confident that UT wins 8 games...ok...

Yeah, imagine how much farther we could have fallen if we hadn't finally fired Fulmer. Thank goodness Dooley is FINALLY turning it around.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Excellent post.

Funny, a Troll telling a POSER "excellent post". Only here on GVX folks.

Dalton writes:

in response to papavol:

go back to first grade English class you illiterate imbecile.

Give him a break Papa he used the word "odious"...pontification with a simple mind on the next Dr Phil show!....and like he says he's a "big leaguer"

Colliervol writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

Personally, I don't quite understand the continuous debate. None of the irresponsible and irrational clowns like tb the kid or little Sammy have any say in this at all, and neither does anybody else but the board and Dave Hart.

It's all pretty simple really. Fair or unfair, unless this team wins 8 games, Dooley is more than likely history. I don't consider that "delusional" at all and I think the vast majority of UT fans understand it. "Delusional" is thinking that anyone could step into the disaster that Dooley did and expect them to turn it around in 1 to 2 years. It doesn't happen in the real world. It exists only in the chalkboard of the mind of some mindless folk who really don't understand the process.

Look on the bright side Vol fans. With the schedule and some experience and depth of the first time, we should win 8 games. If they don't, then the verdict on Derek will be pretty much sealed and we move on to a new coach. However, if they do win 8, toddy and little Sammy et al get to stew in their own juice for another year and we get to watch. I can look forward to something good either way it goes.

Dalton writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Dalton...
So here goes:

You would be much better if you kept your commentary at the level of

"See Spot pass gas,"

which would be nowhere near as odious as your writing abilities.

You are out of your league, boy.

may be at a level to?...yep you's a smart one...with the prose of Walt Whitman...the one down at the Muffler Shack...not the poetry feller!

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

6-7 to 5-7...really "turning it around"