Phillip Fulmer denies contact from Arkansas

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer denied Wednesday he has been contacted by Arkansas about the school’s coaching vacancy.

“I have not been contacted by Arkansas,’’ Fulmer said. “But I think Arkansas is a great place.’’

Former UT assistant football coach Doug Mathews told 104.5 FM in Nashville on Tuesday that the Razorbacks have reached out to Fulmer, who has not coached since his 17-year-tenure with the Vols ended at the conclusion of the 2008 season.

“I know Phillip has had conversations with them,” said Mathews, who was an assistant at UT from 1980-89. “And when I say them, all that is going to take place behind the scenes.”

Fulmer, 61, indicated the opening at Arkansas does intrigue him.

“When I left Tennessee, I was asked if I would coach again, and I said I would consider it if it was at a place where I could compete for a championship,’’ Fulmer said. “Arkansas does qualify as that kind of place, as there is a very solid foundation there.’’

Fulmer, who led the Vols to the 1998 BCS national championship and compiled a 152-52 (.744) record and 96-34 (.738) SEC mark with the Vols during his coaching tenure from 1992-2008, was fired by Tennessee in the midst of a 5-7 season.

The Vols appeared in their fifth SEC championship game under Fulmer’s guidance, losing 21-14 to eventual-national champion LSU, less than one year before his dismissal, which came with three games remaining in the 2008 season.

Fulmer, who played offensive line for the Vols from 1969-71 and served as a team captain, was among eight coaches on the 2012 ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame.

The class will be announced May 15.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Tgordon writes:

The Razorbacks want to talk to Phil they just haven't figured out how much string they will need to connect the two soup cans.

lafollette37766 writes:

Stay put Phil. UT will be knocking on your door in 2013 begging you to come and fix the mess at Neyland.

volsxsnos writes:

I have been a Vol fan all of my life. I love the University of Tennessee. That being said, if Philip takes that job and sticks, I really hope he brings those Hogs up here and beats the phooey on out 'em!!!!

volsxsnos writes:

That's not EXACTLY the phrase I used at the end there, I think the censor got me.

FearlessFreep writes:

This is nothing more than Doug Matthews making this stuff up in order to get some chatter for his very good buddy, Phil Fulmer.

Arkansas no more contacted Fulmer than they did the Easter Bunny (who by the way just finished "working like heck").

me410ec writes:

in response to lafollette37766:

I think he is the one that started the mess!!

GONAVY writes:

No way Fulmer goes to UA. At 61, they're not going to bring him in...

jenna1009001 writes:

I would think that if arkansas hired fulmer it would be for a 1 year deal. And his role would be to let the other coaches make the dicisions and he would be a head piece. If he was motivated he would be a good coach for many years to come, I just don't know if he has the will to do it. I just wish all the Tennessee fans would get over him. It was time for him to go. The mistake was in hiring Lane Kiffen. Lafollette37766 the decline in the program started under fulmer.

VolMoment writes:

in response to lafollette37766:

You must be married to one of Phil's daughters. Everybody knows that the talent level was going down under Phil. Asst. coaches deserve some of the blame. Kiffin set us back another two years. Dooley is the right person. So eat plenty of turkey Thanksgiven at Phil's house. Speaking of Turkeys, oh well I will let that go because you don't have the smarts to understand.

trubleoj#657755 writes:

He has 3 things the Hogs need:
1. He wears a helmet when he rides his Harley.
2. He knows how to beat Bama (albeit a Saban-less Bama)
3. More than likely he doesn't have a textual relationship with a bimbo (although the texas bottle blondes and other mountain girls in Arky tend to make you re-adjust your priorities).

Bubba_Knows writes:

Foolmer would be a great choice. #1 - He's too big for a motorcycle. #2 - He's never going to bonk any of the 25 year olds.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

If Phil leaves for Arky will you please follow him there??

Bubba_Knows writes:

I bet Hawg fans would really be excited about Foolmer.

Bubba_Knows writes:

We should send Foolmer to all the teams that are currently kicking our arse to level the playing field.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Do they have a Fayetteville Shoney's??

givehim6 writes:

in response to trubleoj#657755:

He has 3 things the Hogs need:
1. He wears a helmet when he rides his Harley.
2. He knows how to beat Bama (albeit a Saban-less Bama)

If UA did get phil they would not have to worry about the blonde bimbo on the back of the harley, maybe that big girl that work at shoney's on all you can eat days, on the back of Phils golf cart.

DonK37920 writes:

I always hoped he would get another shot. I was ready for a change when he left but I am sick and tired of the "I hate Fulmer" crowd. I suspect a lot of it is from the younger "I'm spoiled and am entitled to mine right now" generation. For those of us who lived through the teams of the 70s and 80s, his turning the team into a national power in the 90s and finally winning that ever elusive NC was a long time coming and should get him respect from every UT fan. He would have a statue at Alabama, just saying?
I also always thought that someone should give him a chance after he had a while to recharge his batteries. They are very few coaches out there with as impressive of a resume. Yet someone like Tommy Tuberville can repeatedly get jobs with half the success. Heck(Tribute to Fulmer) if we are honest, Fulmer has a way better career record than Richt and always coached circles around him. And for those that think he couldn't recruit talent in the 2000s, you may want to check how many players UT put in the pros during his latter years from 2000 on. I think they put the 5th most of any school. It's not all about the Rivals or Scout rankings when accessing talent. His biggest downfall was the lack of success in recruiting enough quality OL and DL. We had plenty of talent everywhere else!
I don't see why so many UT fans hate the man. He is a Tennessee legend! I respect what he did and now I am hoping Dooley can get us back there. There is no rule that says if you support Dooley you must hate Fulmer.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to DonK37920:

I go back to Dickey. How far back do you go?

bah4vols#266620 writes:

in response to lafollette37766:

Perhaps, and no doubt I would like that. But, get back in the game Phil!

pupvol writes:

in response to FearlessFreep:

You are right! Him and Hyamms throw Fulmers name out there everytime there's and opening! lol

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

What I like best about threads that mention Phillip Fulmer, in the UT-related online sites, is that some 2-bit losers think they have a duty to say something nasty about the man, every chance they get.

Here is news:

a. Phillip Fulmer's record for which Hamilton that piece-of-manure-example of eadership was able to nail him is head and shoulders above everything done since, including Kiffin's.

Kiffin et al would have had to forfeit a LOT of games if the probe of UT athletics had continued.

2. Fulmer won football games; and yes he had gotten hard-headed at the end---but his record except for the last year---and one two years earlier---is better than anything else that has occurred.

Had Hamilton not fired him on Homecoming week, causing the team to implode, Fulmer would have in all liklihood won eight games that year.

Yeah, I know, these 2-bit losers will continue chirping about him, because they are the type of scum who complain loudly with no firm answer other than let's pay Doodley that enormous severance package, and hire somebody else who does not care about UT, except to put on a resume, and who has no more proof of winning than Doodley and the misfit coaches he brings to the field.

(Does it strike the Doodlers a little strange that two of them that he picked up to save his read, after the mass exodus by those who knew him best, were out of work multiple years???

UT Athletics have devolved into a state that no coach of Fulmer's caliber---you know...hall of fame...will come here. And the same 2-bit bozos who whined to spineless Hamilton and the thoopid trustees (aliteration, fyi) on an ongoing basis were simply spoiled by Fulmer's previous years. And the leadership of UT Athletics was in the tank enough to buy into it. And...VOILA!!! This is what we got...

And with THIS bunch of Alabama iinept administrators in power, thinking Kirby Smart will win is about as competent as they can plan a successor. That is the level of coach which UT can get now---unless we become smart enough to hire a proven winner...like...well, you guessed it, but refuse to accept it.

Thanks losers for causing him to be screwed over, and UT Athletics, too. Well done, losers. Congratulations, losers.

These Bama bozos running the athletics department...and the Florida farts running the School...combine to make UT a nexus of shame.

The only great thing about UT athletics, in its current form, announced her retirement today.

No go ahead, losers, bark and bay about Phillip. You aren't fit to wash his jock...
and most of you have never worn one, except in pee-wee ball. (And that's one of the reasons you probably never wore one elsewhere---pee-wee balls! Whine, but no solutions.

GO REAL VOLS! )

Couchdummy writes:

I hope this comes true if Phillip Fulmer wants the job. He is a good person and deserves Vol fan support and best wishes for his success!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to DonK37920:

You're wasting your time.
Tn had the greatest coach of all time with Neyland. No matter the success any other coach provides, it will never equal that status.
Saban will have a down year eventually, and (if he were our coach) you would have half these posters screaming for his head.
Personally, I think Phil became complacent. I believe he still had the ability, just no longer brought the fire. Maybe he had to go but he never did anything to deserve the hate many of the posters show.

golfman1975 writes:

I would love to see him on the sidelines again. He DID give us a national championship and had a great record in the SEC. He suffered from "what have you done for me lately" and everyone jumped on his raft and sunk it...

SevenT writes:

in response to DonK37920:

I have never understood the Fulmer haters either. My guess is Fulmer was too conservative with ball position and offensive play calling.

Never the less clearly it was a huge mistake to fire Fulmer and hire an idiot like Kiffin, anyone who follows Tennessee Football has figured that out by now.

bigfatvolfan79 writes:

Fulmer is a great man and was a great coach for our beloved Vols. I don't understand the hate he gets. I don't know about y'all but I enjoyed the hell out of having a class act like Phil coaching my team for 17 years. The man deserves respect and you young punks need to give it.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to bigfatvolfan79:

Lighten up, Phillip..

Vol43 writes:

in response to bigfatvolfan79:

For the 1,756,223'rd time, we don't hate Phil Ok? But, we are glad he's gone.

imw8n4u writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

I agree 100%. I wish someone would hire Fulmer so we can once and for all close this horrible divide in our fan base.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Here is news:

GO REAL VOLS! )

Oh shut the heck up! Nobody cares to read a post that long anyhow.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Let me guess?? Phil threw his own name in the hat and Arky wants no part of him especially after Kansas denied him twice..Phil, don't go away mad, just go away.

Bigger_Al writes:

Lot of "Major-ettes" on here... I'm sure Phillip wants the HOF on the first ballot badly, which he probably will get, which is why he waited to do anything, I'd be happy to see him at Arkansas, and I'd like to see him do well. That said, I want the Vols and whomever is our coach to beat the bajeezus out of the Hogs if we ever play 'em.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

You're wasting your time.

Your last paragraph pretty much hit the nail on the head. He was a great head coach---in the 90's---and he didn't forget how to do that. He just got complacent and increasingly stubborn about making changes. And as most of us know, if you ain't moving forward, you're going backwards because your competition is doing everything it can to move ahead.

Most people I know respect Phil for his record and for his contributions to UT. Certainly no "hate" in the UT crowd I know. But there is no question that he had to go and the board made the right call.(It wasn't Hamilton. He was just the messenger.) And if you think otherwise, you must have been sleeping from 2005 thru 2008. Phil's problems contributed to this mess but hiring Kibble was the mistake that really put us behind the 8 ball. We are only now starting to see daylight and we shall see if Dooley can get us all the way out (8 wins this fall or else). If not, we'll be hiring another one.

Bigger_Al writes:

Phil was great in 2001, 2004, and 2007 as well.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to DonK37920:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to RockyTopUT:

He wouldn't be the great pumpkin wearing red, perhaps the Big Apple, like that fruit of the loom guy..Just a thought

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Colliervol:

"Kibble" lol. first time I heard that one.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Phil was great in 2001, 2004, and 2007 as well.

Not,In 2001 he choked away the SECCG to a less talented LSU team..Hardly a great coaching job, even Saban was quoted as saying: I don't know how you can beat a team as talented as Tennessee, all those guys will be playing on Sunday..

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Are u a Vol? And if so, did u enjoy our National Championship? Or were u a Pitt fan while they were 3-8?

Navaloranges writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

The game had passed him by in 2008, and nothing has changed, walter. I'll bet any amount he WILL NOT be hired by arky. Although, if it'll get all you full blown Fulmerites off this UT site I'm ALL IN. That's "UT" site, not "UP" site, as in "University of Phil".

jjsteel writes:

in response to FearlessFreep:

fearless you are exactly right. Arky has not and will not contact Phil. Phil is done. Matthews is trying to create a buzz for Phil and Phil is in on it too! I bet Ohio State also contacted Phil. LOL

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

R U a Major-ette?

jjsteel writes:

If Phil was so great why is he unemployed?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

I enjoy every season of UT sports (especially fb)..Are you an Al-bammer fan?? Just a thought.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

So, maybe u were there with me in TEMPE in '98?

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to Colliervol:

agreed collier. Although instead of being stubborn about change, I'm not sure he knew how to change. The game was passing him by with complex spreads, fast linemen, and athletic QBs. Talent was also figuring out that they didn't have to settle on the same top 15-20 schools to get playing time. Gotta adapt and he couldn't.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

So, maybe u were there with me in TEMPE in '98?

One of the few I've missed over the years..Attended 26 of UT's bowl games and I just turned 50 last month..I plan on making my 27th UT bowl game this NYD..GBO!

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

If I was an Alabubber fan, I would luv Johnny! 4-13!! Hey yea!

Vol43 writes:

Things that will never go away:

Death
Taxes
Fulmer

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say Matthews talks too much, Witch Doctor say he started the last "Fulmer" rumor didnt he? and the one before that? Witch Doctor say leave Phil alone hes happy retired. Witch Doctor say why they making statue of Pat they need to go ahead and melt a couple retired Knox county buses down and make one of Phil.(Witch Doctor say only ONE(1) Phil joke..! ) lol.
Bones never lie.
(serious he gets one too..maybe not same day..but yes)