Derek Dooley details Orange and White Game

Derek Dooley talks about the Orange and White Game

The steaks are the same.

But this time there is more on the line for Tennessee than food.

After a couple years of drafting teams and winding up with rosters that didn’t provide all that much to evaluate, the Vols are largely keeping their starters together and planning for an Orange and White Game on Saturday afternoon that figures to be more competitive than previous editions Derek Dooley has staged.

“We divided teams to try to maintain a little continuity on the offense and the defense,” the Vols coach said after a light practice Thursday morning. “It’s not perfect because there are guys who have been working with the ones that won’t be able to work with the ones, but for the most part it’s a good-on-good scrimmage and we’re trying not to have a lot of mismatches. You know, it will be a good opportunity for us to get another day’s work.

“We want to see how these guys go. It’s like a third scrimmage.”

The Vols seemingly haven’t approached the last workout of spring quite as seriously over the last two years, even though the difference between the post-game meals for the winners and losers remains the same.

The steaks and hot dogs for the respective sides still provide some motivation for the Vols as they officially wrap up camp at Neyland Stadium (Kickoff: 2:30 p.m.), but now there’s a bit of added importance for guys looking to win a job or starters trying to send a message heading into the offseason.

“You can tell right now, it’s a high-stakes games,” Dooley said. “A high-stakes game.

“We do fine china (for the winners), steaks, all the trimmings, baked potato and dessert, and they have nice people serving them tea. The other crowd is in the same room, paper plates, hot dogs, potato chips and water with no ice. That’s what we’re playing for -- and pride.”

For more on practice on Thursday morning and preparations for the Orange and White Game, check back to http://www.govolsxtra.com, pick up Friday’s News Sentinel or follow @Vols_Beat on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

The_Reverend writes:

I would like to see these guys play with a ton of emotion and their hearts on their sleeve. If this was my chance to make waves, even as a second or third teamer, I would let the coaches, fans and my teammates know I was there to play.

born2ride writes:

The Orange and White is one game Dooley can win.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

I hope the team approaches this scrimmage with a business-like attitude. I believe that the players and those close to the program know the great potential of this team. However, a poor performance with little effort or attention to detail (like the previous 2 yrs) will hurt the team going forward. That sounds like an obvious statement, but with the depth that the Vols have returning they can't afford to not take the O&W game seriously. This game counts for more than steaks and hot dogs, and Dooley knows this.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Here's what I say. Put all the precieved starters out there. The entire starting offense on one side and the starting defense on the other. Give the defense 24 points and make it the offense's job to put up at least 24 on the defense. This way, you're playing your best vs your best. Match Jim Cheney against Sal Sunseri and let Dooley watch.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to AtopTheHill06:

I agree. Let's not go away from this game saying, "Oh, it doesn't really matter." That type of attitude breeds more indifference. FREAKIN COMPETE! Put some pressure on yourselves! Admit there is some significance to this thing. Let's turn this team around this Saturday.

orangeman1 writes:

I never liked the approach he took the first 2 years. I'm glad he's finally come around to see things my way. lol

slb#1351874 writes:

in response to born2ride:

The Orange and White is one game Dooley can win.

Man your light flickers a lot doesn't it? You are a sad sack of phooey. Go play like the dumb butt from "Arky Saw" and get you a mess of road rash to go with that other infection you have.

jimr07 writes:

in response to born2ride:

The Orange and White is one game Dooley can win.

Maybe you can find a dog to kick or an old wound to salt.... man...get a life

senracjr writes:

in response to born2ride:

The Orange and White is one game Dooley can win.

And you will always be a loser!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I'm with you on this one.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

Really excited to see how Devrin Young plays in this game. He has the potential to be like a Percy Harvin for us.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to orangeblooded83:

Should have said dishwasher or sewer water. That would get them going.

SevenT writes:

I wonder if Double D will be the waterboy serving the hotdogs, water with no ice on paper plates. That would be a perfect job for this proven loser.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to born2ride:

The Orange and White is one game Dooley can win.

I wonder if Dooley Doo Right will eat steak? I wonder if the players will throw Gatorade on him at the end of the game.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to orangeblooded83:

Dear Lord. No Ice. This is uncalled for - might even be an NCAA infraction.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to SevenT:

Uh oh! Momma Dooley is going to have your hide.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to slb#1351874:

Lighten Up Francis.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to jimr07:

Maybe you can find a dog to kick or an old wound to salt.... man...get a life

Bubba_Knows writes:

GerryOP writes:

For the first time since Dooley got here, he has enough players for two complete teams of offense and two complete teams of defense. Might as well let them play some ball.

CroKev writes:

Just read an interesting article on something that's been talked about for years: the death of the NFL running game. Trent Richardson might even be the only RB chosen in the first round.

Maybe Chaney needs to follow suit. Sure seems like we have all the tools to go this route. It also explains why Saban couldn't make it in the pros.

CroKev writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

You're either retired or unemployed...

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to CroKev:

You're either retired or unemployed...

Mental disability.

ball1523 writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

Lol!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to born2ride:

The Orange and White is one game Dooley can win.

It is going to be extra nice to see you trying to hide with a new screen name this fall. The Vols have everything together to have a great season and they will do just that. The QB's are ready even the backups. Rec's are among the best in CFB. WE have a SEC DEf coming together and a up and coming Running game. Oooh yes it is going to be nice. I will also state that the open game with NCS isn't going to be close the Vols will make their statement to the SEC that they are back.35-18 Vols
10-2 Plus a Bowl Yea Yea Yea baby!
Go Vols

arkansasvol1975 writes:

Hope Yall are not expecting much. I stil believe Dooley has no clue what it takes to win. That Kentucky game still has a foul taste to it....for every fan it will be like that for a long time. Come on Dooley, for nearly 30 years we had a winning streak over Kentucky, and you let a wide reciever at quaterback beat you. I dont think Dooley has a clue of what he has done to Tennessee by losing that game. Why should he being from Georgia and making all that money. I just hope this is his last year because I can not deal with another year cussing at the TV and throwing things.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to jimr07:

Maybe you can find a dog to kick or an old wound to salt.... man...get a life

It would have to be Salt Jim because even a phooey eating dog would not bite into that thing.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

I read somewhere that the FDA is allowing horse meat back on the market. It happened during WW2 but was not acknowledge as being done.
Just something to think about for the losers.

Pullingguard writes:

Just hope couple of things..
That it serves as learning experience for a good fall season... And, that there are no serious injuries that would affect the team this fall..Nothing else matters that much.

Tennpeach writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

GET OVER IT!! The Ky game was last season/last year, and the Vols are moving on, unlike you. So quit watching the Vols and quit trolling on this site!! So be a fan for Arky, because the Vols dont need you!

Rockytop38 writes:

Anyone know if the game will be televised?

Colliervol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Gerry, I would point out that our little NegaVol buddies can't count high enough to figure out we finally enough players to field a full team. It's been well known for two years that we've been short on numbers but that doesn't stop them from nattering like hyenas. Obviously they just can't add any better than a second grader.

Having said that though, the excuses about numbers are over. Can't use that one any longer.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to SevenT:

That sounds like experience talking.

CroKev writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Mental disability.

Rich, you're a pretty objective contributor. What's your take on the Vols this coming season? I think they'll win at least 8 games with an outside shot of getting to 10 considering their schedule and depth. At a minimum, I see them competitive in every game they play - especially the second half. What say you?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

No it won't. Only the trolls and idiots will keep bringing it up.

In 2005, a bad UT team finished with 5 wins after losing to a 5-win Vandy team, ending a 22-year streak. It was only the 2nd loss to Vandy in 30 years. It was a UT team that had a loaded roster, had a top-3 recruiting class that year, and started the season ranked #3 in the country. That was a much worse blow than having a young, undermanned team, that started the season with 6 wins being the best anybody could hope for, lose to a 5-win UK.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

Our resident trolls can show them how. Drinking weiner water is their specialty.

BleednUrnge81 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

how many times have you peed on yourself today from drunkeness? you and toddy need to go the hail on somewhere. devrin young will be a beast. i hope someone punches you in the balls.
GBO and have a good'n.

volfast40time writes:

in response to GiveHim6TDTennessee:

he was the best high school player i have ever played against or watched...need to use him somehow

volfast40time writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

you have obviously never seen him run a forty...he could get a 4.5 running backwards and i remember a dexter mccluster put a hurting on us while at ole miss at about the same weight as devrin

Vol43 writes:

Toddy you're such a drama queen. If you could be AD for a day, what would you do? Think hard sweetie.

GerryOP writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

The streak had to end sometime. Better it be during our worst year in history rather than strolling into Commonwealth 11-0 and fall face down into the mud. It appears the team got valuable lesson out of the mess. Too bad the fans have to carry a hate ... against their supposed own team!

BTW, 26-1 against anybody ain't too shabby. But rant away if it makes you feel better. How'd you feel when Fulmer stumbled against Wyoming?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

TB as AD: Everyone gets to play x-box instead of having to attend class..All meals will be served at McDonald's and for entertainment tonight the airing of the uncut version of super-bad..Just a toddy thought.

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yep, we have a menagerie of strange animals here. I guess it makes the world go 'round I reckon. All I know is GO Vols and I'm expecting great things this fall.

Vol43 writes:

Think I scared toddy off. Oh well, he'll be back.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

No doubt, I picture Toddy looking a lot like Mcloven..And I definitely love my VOLS..HBTV!!

BluezVol writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

Belly-laugh. Thank you.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Speaking of losing control, have you asked your mom if you were planned??

CroKev writes:

Because ToadyLad doesn't know anything about football. I'm also still trying to figure out which team he pulls for. I think I may have narrowed it down to D-1 but I'm still not sure...

GerryOP writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Whoooooowheeee! A hundred dollars? C'mon lil' Toadyboy, is that all you got? I guess you're not really serious. Probably in nickles, dimes, and quarters he's planning to save out of his allowance. As only Toadyboy can do it.

GerryOP writes:

in response to toddyboy:

And to prove to Tomlin that you're serious, you'd show him your hundred dollars ... in nickles, dimes, and quarters.