Pat Summitt to get $1 million bonus

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, copyright © 2012

Tennessee head coach emeritus Pat Summitt talks about her new role as head coach emeritus during a press conference at Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday, April 19, 2012. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Pat Summitt didn’t complete her 40th year as the Tennessee women’s basketball coach, but she did receive the $1 million bonus the university originally committed to paying her if she reached that milestone.

Summitt, 59, had two years remaining on her previous contract that paid her $1.5 million in total compensation for the 2011-12 season.

An amendment document obtained Thursday by the News Sentinel through a public records request stated the university “believes it is fitting and appropriate” to pay the bonus upon Summitt’s retirement to become a head coach emeritus. In her new role, Summitt’s new deal is for one year with a salary of $354,375. She will receive four tickets at Thompson-Boling Arena for home women’s basketball games and the university will arrange for four seats in a comparable location for away games.

Summitt stepped down Wednesday after 38 seasons as coach and was replaced by associate head coach Holly Warlick.

Warlick’s memorandum of understanding, also obtained Thursday, covers four years with a base salary of $485,000. Bonuses and other compensation included in the deal could add up to as much as another $175,000 per year annually. The biggest possible bonuses are for the Lady Vols winning a national championship ($150,000) or for reaching the Final Four ($80,000).

Warlick’s annual salary was $204,000 this past season.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ball1523 writes:

She deseerves it.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

No doubt she deserves it! I wish her and the basketball team nothing but the best....that goes for Tyler too.

Go Lady Vols!

dvhill100 writes:

Can't compensate her enough for all she has meant to UT and the sport. I didn't really understand her reach until I was told that a lot of football recruits ask to meet her on their visits. Impressive.

oscar285 writes:

in response to RashaadSalabeb:

Go Lady Vols!

I'll second that!

ZacharyUTK writes:

Good move, Tennessee. Proud of my Alma Mater today.

Theo writes:

The best million UT has ever spent. Well deserved.

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

It should be 2 million. Coach has crammed 80 years of effort into 38. She is the "Gold Standard" for coaching--for any sport at any level.

PureOrange writes:

I usually feel coaches, as a group, are overpaid, but Pat Summitt certainly deserves the bonus, and she actually deserved to paid even more than she was throughout the years because she has been the one person doing more than just being the best coach. She has been the best ambassador college sports, (or any other endeavor) could have.

There will never be another Pat Summitt. Simply the best!

keepitreal4vols writes:

Wonder what 3 people she's taking on away games.

legalease (Inactive) writes:

This is an outrage. I am a Summit fan, but she has been well paid for her work. This is a state institution and we do not have the money to be paying million dollar bonuses to anyone, let alone someone who has not completed their contract. Sad circumstances, but how about all those other state employees who gave 30+ years to the state but were furloughed due to cutbacks. How about putting that bonus towards reducing student fees? Tennessee, can always be counted on to put sports before education; always have, always will. (Before you naysayers get all up in arms, I have two degrees from UT) so I have a vested right to state this opinion.

legalease (Inactive) writes:

One more thing, if UT wants to give a million, how about investing in our scientists or physicians that we lose every year due to lack of funding. What a d&*@ shame

Juan47 writes:

in response to legalease:

These funds come from the Athletic Dept, which is not taxpayer supported, rather comes from ticket sales, ad revenue, tv, .... and if you do some research you will find the AD gives millions to the university each year.

voloffaith writes:

3 post in a row that reflect anger/misunderstanding..... legalease...do you know what she is going to do with that money after taxes? Yes some to her foundation...do ya think she just might(we don't know)put some to the University towards education since she has always required excellence in the classroom as well? As for kir4VOLs that was such a thoughtful question....

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Wonder what 3 people she's taking on away games.

I will bet you aren't one of them.

Velo_Vol writes:

What's another million dollars among friends?

PureOrange writes:

in response to legalease:

Can't beleive this post. How many state employees would it take to add up to what Pat has done for not only our university, but our state?

I can tell you it would take an awful lot of them.

rocket22 writes:

in response to PureOrange:

I can tell you it would take an awful lot of them.

Assuming by the name you use that you have a legal degree or at least took some classes, I hope that you do more research if you are trying a case than you put into this statement. The UT Athletic Department is totally self supporting and does not use state funds for athletics or coaches salaries or bonuses. If you are an attorney, you might want to take a few more courses on how to do research on a subject before you attempt to state your case and look and sound foolish doing so as you did in this one.

orangecountyvols writes:

Pure Orange,

A-men friend. Let's put it another way. Some of these people with a boat load of degrees have just that.........and many of them are some of the sorriest fans you can imagine.

Usually, we can sort out who is deserving and as most of us will agree, Pat has done far more with the degrees she has than some who are flaunting their engineering/history, and/or scientific degrees,etc.

This borders a tad bit on jealousy IMO.

volistic writes:

For those of you so concerned about the Athletic Dept. paying the one million dollar bonus, that was probably part of the negotiated retirement package. Look at the difference in salaries between Summitt and Warlick. Pat is saving the University about a million dollars a year by retiring. Not that any of that matters. She has given the University far more value than she has received.

rocket22 writes:

in response to rocket22:

Sorry Pure Orange - This was aimed at Legalease, not you

DonK37920 writes:

in response to legalease:

Microsoft doesn't get mad when Apple gives a bonus to their employees do they? Does IBM care when Kraft Foods gives someone a bonus? Then why do "State" employees always bring this up when the UT Athletic Department is a total self funded entity that is not funded by the state or the university? They actually give money to the school in years that there is a budget surplus which not coincidentally are years when we are good at sports and have high attendance at games etc which not coincidentally you need good coaches for which not coincidentally you have to pay more for.

Vol1983 writes:

in response to legalease:

You are pompous. Nobody cares about you and your 2 degrees. It seems that you have only taken from the University, and now you are an embarrassment. If you have given anything back, it pales to what Pat has done. As far as me and my 1 degree from the University are concerned, you can take your degrees and opinion and crawl under a rock.

Vol1983 writes:

in response to legalease:

It seems to me that you are a head-case "lawyer mom." I read other posts you made. You called UT a joke in academics and indicated that you were sorry you attended UT law school. So what is it you have vested? You went to UT for 2 degrees and say you are a successful lawyer and author? But, all you can do is criticize the University and people like Pat. If I were you, I would crawl under a rock and hope my clients didn't find out who I was.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Fulmer got 6mil and Pat won 8 championships to Phil's 1..Shouldn't that add up to 48 million..Just sayin'

legalease (Inactive) writes:

in response to Vol1983:

When you assume, you are usually wrong. I have 4 degrees, not two. Two others from other academic institutions; not an issue, but wanted to correct you! You are missing the point, I never said she didn't do well for UT or is deserving of something, just not 1M when we are cutting education in this state. Enough said.

RoadTrip writes:

Some folks need to just say "no" to engaging their minds and typing their thoughts on subjects of which they have little to no understanding - right, legalease?

It's not often that a school has the privilege to honor an icon and an international ambassador of a sport played around the globe, who is known around the globe, who is receiving the Presidential Medal of Honor, and who happens to be one of the very best basketball coaches of either gender in the history of the game. $1 million from private donations, media and ad revenue generated from the business of her occupation is a small amount to pay her for all she has done to represent UT. I commend the UTAD for having done so.

Vol1983 writes:

in response to legalease:

Again, you are totally pompus. Pat was unable to reach 40 years to get the $1 million which does not come from the State or the University. She couragously retired because of her condition. The University graciously gave her the bonus, which has nothing to do with other funding. Get over yourself. The fact that you have 4 degrees is nothing to brag about. I doubt that you are very successful. You lack common sense.

OrangeDew writes:

in response to legalease:

Please abide by your last two words.

legalease (Inactive) writes:

in response to Juan47:

Never said the A dept was not a money maker, just questioned whether or not it is correct to allocate 1 million bonus to one person when the needs of academic programs and students are so great.

legalease (Inactive) writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Perhaps you saw something I didn't. Never saw anywhere that stated the funds were from "private" resources; which is still debatable, even if that were stated. Also, this is not salary, but bonus. I believe she was worth every penny she earned and in fact, should have been paid more for many years that she coached. She was always underpaid compared to male coaches. All that being said, it is still a 1M bonus which I believe is excessive under any set of circumstances.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to legalease:

it would have been paid to her had she stayed 3 more yrs. (in which, im sure she will).

Do you realize that she made a $$%#$ more than that for the athletic department by filling the seats?
this is well deserved.

if you made (lets say) millions and millons of dollars for your company, id hope they'd give you one million when you retire. or should your company give it to (fill in the blank)

Vol1983 writes:

in response to legalease:

Why don't you just take a break and go read your "best seller?"

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to legalease:

If you have 4 degrees what the h3ll does that prove and why do we care?? How did you afford the tuition for 4 degrees?? Lastly, you sound like an educator and you knew exactly what the pay was before you chose that profession, did you not?

Vol1983 writes:

in response to legalease:

With an argument such as this, I sure would not want you to represent me in court. She should have been paid more for many years she coached, but she should not receive the bonus she fell 2 years short of earning because of health reasons. And in the end, the UT decided that she earned the bonus. Successful?

SoddyVol writes:

legalease: Three things: 1) The money comes from the athletic department, not general fund and they do continue to have a profit even with a down year. 2) Pat has been worth much more to UT and to the State than just her great won/loss record. 3) I would rather she be paid the million and agree to take the much lower salary, which she agreed to do, than have her paid 1.5 Mil per year two more times then have to pay that Million. Like you, I have a degree from UT. My last year on the Hill was 1956.

voloffaith writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

In the glorious words of Archibald Bunker's dear wife Edith,"Those were the days..." That is 1956...me 1976...

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

Good move, Tennessee. Proud of my Alma Mater today.

in response to gerrybla:

UT could not have afforded all the publicity and good will from around the world that Pat earned and deserved. There is scarcely a person of accomplishment in any endeavor anywhere in the civilized world who would not recognize Pat as a peer, as indeed many of them already have. Don't continue to double down on a losing hand.

ps11824 writes:

Remember, Alzheimer's does not play favorites. Long term health care, sitters and such can drain funds faster than a lawyer's mouth runs.

tenn32rebel writes:

in response to gerrybla:

Gerry, didn't you read the previous posts??? This money DID NOT COME FROM UNIVERSITY FUNDS SO WE DON'T HAVE TO "RAISE TUITION AGAIN."

Please, don't get stuck on stupid!!!!

LouisVol writes:

Money well spent...

at Georgia Tech there is a statue of former football coach John Heisman and, in New York, an athletic club gives a trophy named for him (though they often make poor choices especially regarding Tennessee players)... there will come a day when a statue of Pat Summitt sits outside Thompson-Bolling-Summitt Arena, and there will be a trophy given to an exemplary player or team with Pat's name on it. We'll be glad we honored her appropriately when she was still able to appreciate it.

thevoice writes:

I wouldn't complain if that girl got $10,000,000.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to PacosBill:

Especially if you compare it to the INSANE package they gave to Mike Hamilton for getting fired.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I hear ya BVB! Pat deserves every Penny of this money. However, it looks as if they actually took better care of Hamilton, Fulmer, and Pearl for getting fired. What's really going on? Perhaps Pat should have forced them to fired her. Just kidding...in a way.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to legalease:

Can we ask what you charge by the Hour?

gillblog writes:

Let's begin the campaign NOW to name the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship as the

"Pat Summitt Trophy".

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Well deserved. How many players she pushed to succeed? %100 graduation rate. Well deserved Pat.

COLadyVol writes:

We wonder why our government is so dysfunctional. One reason is that we all now (Me included) think our opinions matter so much and we have so much to add that we just have to add it regardless of whether it will change anything or makes much sense.

Why could this comment section just say "Thank You Coach Summitt for all that you did for girls, for the Lady Vols, for UT, for Women's college basketball, for Women's sports in general. Why do we feel the need to denigrate the wonderful legacy she is leaving, the respect the University showed her by the giving her the bonus and the grace by which she left with such childishness over the decision. Our comments and opinions will change nothing -- it is done -- but it does lower the value of the gesture by a controversy that is unwarranted. My mother taught me if you can't say something nice about someone keep your mouth shut. This is one place and one time that I believe Blogs and comments should be respectful of the person, her contribution, and her condition and BE NICE!

Thank you PAT for all you have meant to me, to basketball, to UT, and the 161 girls you coached, mentored, and loved. We will miss you on the sidelines but we know your heart will always be there! Enjoy your retirements and may your health be with you as long as it can.

VolAlumbutBamaFootballFan writes:

If you have ever been to a Lady Vols game, home or away, you will find more Lady Vols Fans than any other team. Her fan base is not hit and miss like the mens program has been since we lost Ray Meirs. It's consistent with over 13-15,000 every home game. Pat is women's basketball. She has more pro players, more coach's that played for her than any other coach along with all her other records. When she was 21 and became the coach she made about 12,000 a year and didn't start getting the big bucks until a few years ago. She earned the bonus and more. If you averaged out her salary and bonuses over the past 38 years I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be a good return on her tenure at UT but would be a great return on UT's investment in her. From Alumni Gym to the Summitt she has given her all. Love ya Pat and look forward to seeing you on the Summitt for many years to come.

jbc writes:

$150,000 bonus for a national championship seems low.