Handful of errors not lost on Derek Dooley in spring game

ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee tailback Marlin Lane stretches into the end zone to give the Orange a 13-7 lead as Marsalis Teague defends during the Orange and White Game at Neyland Stadium on Saturday.

The tinkering with the format had the desired impact.

A competitive outing to close out spring also gave Tennessee coach Derek Dooley a few teaching points on the way out the door.

Thanks in part to a costly turnover and a sloppy finish with the outcome hanging in the balance for the first-team offense on the White team, the Orange capitalized early and held on late for a 17-14 win in the annual spring game at Neyland Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

And while Dooley had things to praise with both teams posting productive outings on the ground and quarterback Tyler Bray playing much better in the Orange and White Game than he did a year ago, it was a handful of errors in crunchtime that the Vols coach leaned on to get his message across after the final workout of camp.

“Obviously some of the things that we said we were improving on in the spring continued to show up,” Dooley said. “We ran the ball a lot better, didn’t stop the run, so that’s always the give and take when you’re working against each other. But probably the biggest story line from a negative standpoint is that even though you’re playing with all those intangible qualities, making a lot of critical mistakes in critical situations, that’s obviously something we’ve got to get better at before next fall.

“Look at the White team, they had a turnover in the red zone, they had a missed field goal, a third-and-2 fumbled snap in the fourth quarter, a (holding penalty) and a slip on the last drive. Those five plays right there were the difference in the game, and that’s a great learning experience. You have to be able to perform in the critical situations of the game to win the game.”

The Orange did that better at the end of both halves, with Marlin Lane punching in a 39-yard touchdown run as time expired in the second quarter and Derrick Brodus supplying the go-ahead points with a fourth-quarter field goal.

But there was still plenty of time for the White to rally back after that kick went through, but both opportunities slipped away — the latter literally sliding away as Bray lost his footing in the closing minutes as a two-minute drill unraveled.

The drive before that ended in equally disappointing fashion for the White squad with a botched snap on third down leading to a punt, though the Vols could essentially balance those miscues out with consistency from the rushers, big plays from receiver Da’Rick Rogers and an efficient performance from Bray through the air.

“It was my fault I didn’t catch the snap,” Bray said. “I had been fine all day with the snap until then, when it really counted.

“But we did better than last year, so I can’t really complain.”

What’s Next: The on-field work is done.

But the end of camp doesn’t signify the end of the semester, a reminder Dooley delivered quickly to the Vols after the last of their 15 spring practices.

“Overall, real pleased with the spring, real pleased with the attitude the players have had and the work ethic and now we turn the page and get ready for real ball,” he said. “The starting point is we’ve got to finish this academics the good way, then get ready for a great summer.

“We’ve got a lot to build on, and I hope they see that. There’s a lot to build on, that’s the key word. We’ve got to keep working.”

Award Winners: Steven Fowlkes went from an ineligible member of the scout team to potential starter on the defensive line.

That turnaround made him close to a lock to pick up some hardware as spring ended, which he did at halftime when the Vols handed out their awards for camp.

Fowlkes earned the Andy Spiva Defensive Surprise Award, with Devrin Young taking home the same honor on the other side of the ball as the Harvey Robinson Offensive Surprise winner.

Other Players Recognized: Jordan Williams, Brian Randolph, Ja’Wuan James and Tyler Bray (John Stucky Offseason Award); Herman Lathers, Jacques Smith, Rogers and Brendan Downs (Big Lick); Justin Coleman, A.J. Johnson, Dallas Thomas and James (Fourth Quarter); Willie Bohannon and James Stone (Unsung Hero).

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

AllVol1 writes:

Glad to see the running backs and Oline continue to progress. They will come back from summer bigger, stronger, and faster!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

The running game seems to be quite a bit better. The DB's were having to make a lot of the tackles though. That's usually not good. Overall it was good to see these guys compete. Brodus and Carter act like they want to play some football.

Go Vols!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

What's with our damn kickers?

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Progress, I guess (hope). Seems like we have some players now, if they can learn how to stay focused & finish. Hope these coaches fix the mistakes by NC State. I swore I wouldn't get excited about Vol FB anymore, but for the first time in a while I can't help it. After 50 something years it's a hard habit to break.
Maybe we'll be getting a detailed report on the game from KNS or my mom can send me Sunday's Chattanooga NFP. Can't wait till it's football time in Tennessee.
Go Vols!

TNVolunteers57 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

What's with our damn kickers?

Rich, I was wondering the same thing!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

What's with our damn kickers?

Didn't Mike Leach have the same problem at Tx. Tech? I believe they held open try outs & got a walk on kicker from the student body that did a pretty good job.
The kicking game can win or lose you a lot of games. Got to improve!
Another thing I want to see is a killer instinct, kick the opponent when their down, don't let up, run up the score. All the "big boys do it" This was my main problem with Fulmer, he would set on a 10 or 14 point lead & then loose! I know Dooley's teams probably haven't had that kind of lead on anybody worth a poop but I expect them to this year!
Go Vols!
ps: I didn't say "poop" KNS is figuring out our code.

born2ride writes:

Lets hope next year Bobby Petrino is coaching the Orange and White Game.

hglover40#234154 writes:

Anybody know why maggit did not play?

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to hglover40#234154:

Anybody know why maggit did not play?

Think he's healing from a shoulder injury. Good point, I forgot about Maggit! Our starting D looked pretty good without Prentiss and Maggit. Throw those two in there and it changes a lot of things. And even if he doesn't start, just having Mount McCullers in the D-Line rotation will be HUGE. No pun intended.

Classof72 writes:

That kicking game will get the team beaten and the coach fired if it isn't fixed.

manniesghost1903 writes:

After listening to today's Orange/White game, I still do not know what to expect when the regular season starts. It seems that the Kicking game and ball security remain as problems. Perhaps the kicking specialist coming in as a freshman will help the kicking game. I am not sure about the kick return team. In my opinion, there are no "safe" predictions at this time.

RichmondKyVol writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Look on the bright side. At least he's starting to recognize them.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

in response to toddyboy:

You miss alot!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to orangeblooded83:

Yeah I know. If I'm not mistaking he played in a red jersey and with the 2nd team D. I saw Brent Brewer throw some hits even in a red jersey. Gotta love that. Dude, AJ Johnson is an animal. He may very well destroy some people this year.

Tgordon writes:

After defeating both Kentucky and Vandy I fell the Vols will finish above them in the SEC East!

underthehill writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

It may be safe to predict UT will keep getting good learning experiences...

nocleats writes:

Starting Monday morning, it all falls into Coach Ron Mckeefery's lap as it becomes his job to get this team into the weight room and make every single player on this team stronger , faster, quicker, and dedicated to improvement and team. Improve every day guys, and do the right things! GBO!

JimmyJoe writes:

I'd say Dooley has a real estate agent on retainer as we speak...the house will go on the market as soon as we blow the NC State game.

Vol43 writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Toddy, I thought I taught you better. You were second in line and you shaved your legs for this?

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to born2ride:

Lets hope next year Bobby Petrino is coaching the Orange and White Game.

Then I will make my wife quit her job at the UT athletics office....just in case. But she is 37 so probablly to old for pedophile Petrino.

Tgordon writes:

in response to nocleats:

+10 I think you are so right. Conditioning is everything, the OL is a good example. Simple size for the OL is no longer enough you MUST have speed and agility in those positions as well. Something we lacked last year.

Snapshot writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

blah blah blah, same old same old, blah blah

givehim6 writes:

Three things I liked about todays game. One love seeing the Vols running again, Two Defence looked to be playing tough again. Last but not least... CDD has trashed those stupid orange pants!

Go4Two writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

The kicking game can win or lose you a lot of games. Got to improve!
Go Vols!
ps: I didn't say "poop" KNS is figuring out our code.

That's the problem with a belief. When Fulmer took a lead into the 4th quarter I think he had over a 100 wins and fewer than 10 losses.

GoVols_16 writes:

Ben Ogle--kicker--lives in Greeneville, nephew of Alan Duncan. Give him a scholarship. He's an excellent kicker. He didn't have to kick much his senior year b/c Greeneville scored tds....

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

The kicking game can win or lose you a lot of games. Got to improve!
Go Vols!
ps: I didn't say "poop" KNS is figuring out our code.

Tennessee did fix that problem of fulmer blowing 10-14 point leads. The only time Dooley sees a 10-14 point lead is vs a Montan or Buffalo, and he hangs on for wins. As far as SEC teams go, 14 point leads are days gone by. It so much better sitting home for Bowl season without Fulmer.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Overall not bad, the kickers still stink..However I like the way the d-line is getting after it and the offense looked good on the ground and through the air..Now let's get healthy and motivated for the seasons Summer practice..HBTV!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Yeah, I believe you forgot the Cincy win by design..If you're going to give CDD all the blame you also better give him credit for the good things..Now, STHU!

SavTnVol writes:

So, is Derrick Brodus still a "walk-on"? Maybe time to relook the situation before next season.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to GoVols_16:

Dude is legit.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

What's with our damn kickers?

Palardy unfortunately was taught (how not to kick) by Lincoln..That may have ruined the guy and if you notice he kicks way too low just like ol Daniel..Hopefully he'll only be missing extra points and not game deciding FG's..Pitiful

ShaversChoicewasbanned writes:

in response to orangeblooded83:

It was a bit different for a DB (Prentiss)...he played tag football all day. For a MLB (Maggitt) or NG (Jackson) you can't play tag and its not worth losing them for another 4 months.

ShaversChoicewasbanned writes:

in response to ShaversChoicewasbanned:

NG Couch - not Jackson - was also out for shoulder surgery.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

Both of you guys are trolls, opinions are not relevant..Disregard people..

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yeah. He even got one blocked on a PAT today, but it still went through the uprights. Hope they can get it turned around. The running game looked good to me. I think Neal and Young's performances are gonna be overlooked big time. Lane looked great, but the difference in the 1st and 2nd team D was noticeable IMO. A couple of Lane's long runs we're on toss sweeps. Anything to the outside with Young or Neal had LBs fast enough to cut it off. On top of that, Brian Randolph was head hunting in the run game. That dude is gonna be something. not dissing Lane, but I think the guys who went against the 1 defense faced a much more fierce D.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to ShaversChoicewasbanned:

NG Couch - not Jackson - was also out for shoulder surgery.

Yeah I noticed Gregory Clark in there at the NT spot. He wasn't the highest rated recruit, but he's a monster size wise. I thought he played surprisingly well today.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

No doubt, Randolph is a beast and I like what Sal is doing with the defense..

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

No doubt, Randolph is a beast and I like what Sal is doing with the defense..

I watched a replay on ESPN3. You can go there and watch a replay. I liked the #1D as well. Add Waggner, and Maggit and they could be really good. On the drive where Palardy missed the FG, it showed Sal chewing the ever living s--- out of the D, after giving up ZERO points. Reminded me of the Chief.

Theo writes:

in response to born2ride:

Lets hope next year Bobby Petrino is coaching the Orange and White Game.

Guessing you are either single, divorced or on your way to being divorced.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Actually, Lincoln was pretty good in his freshman year '07. Then Fulmer corrected a "minor flaw" in his approach. Our kicking game has sucked ever since!

Hey guys it was a good day. This team looks 100% better than what we have seen the past two years. These guys guys actually look like football players, not a bunch of kids out there playing football.

Heading back "up the road" tomorrow. A long trip for a geezer like me... but worth evey dollar and worth every pain. Hmmm... Gatas... in Neyland... Sept 15. Maybe... just maybe... if this old body has recovered by then!

133 days guys, 132 in a couple of hours! Stay tuned!

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

This team is better. I hate it for you but the arrow is trending up. Be thinking of some new names for yourself so you won't get berated so badly on here next fall.
Of course, you have experience at changing names. I'm sure Vanderbilt filed a civil suit against you when you were calling yourself VandyGrad for impersonating a Vandy student.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GerryOP:

133 days guys, 132 in a couple of hours! Stay tuned!

Too funny, Fulmer over-corrected DL's kicking technique?? I'll be in Atl before you know it, and UT will be chomping at the bit to hit somebody besides each other..GBO!!!!

vols2#227315 writes:

Why can't Doodley learn UT needs a kicker. This is the start of the third year with doodley squat with out a field goal kicker on the team.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Salma_Hayek_is_my_Wife:

You can tell Salma isn't really your wife or you wouldn't be wasting time talking smack to us..lol

volsbandit writes:

I'm afraid it's gonna be another long season.....

GerryOP writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Oh yeah! Big article on GVX! Fulmer proudly told us, with a straigth face, how in 30 seconds he watched Lincoln kick and pointed out the minor flaw. Really, 30 seconds is all it took! He got a little huffy when the news guys questioned him. "Really Phil, 30 seconds?"

I agree wth you Bipolar, I think our footVols are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Hmmmm... Atlanta... Sept 1... That's a lot easier to get to than K'town is!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GerryOP:

That's is odd, ruined a decent kickers career..Oh well, that explains why UT's ST's went to pot..Too cheap to pay for a real ST coach I guess..I'm 5hrs from K-ville and 6 from Atl, but as bad as I hate Atl I'm still willing to make the drive because I believe in our boys in Orange..UT changes the joja-dome jinx..HBTV!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Omit the "is" after that's..Arrgghh!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Just saw on VolNation where someone posted a clip of an interview between John Chavez and Chris Lowe. Chavez said that Cordarelle Patterson is the best WR he's ever seen coming out of JUCO and even coming out of HS. He then said he thinks Patterson will be the best WR in the league next year. WOW!

Maverickman writes:

Waited two hours in line in the rain to get in. By the time the line got to the gate, houndreds had jumped line. No packets handed out for the kids. Lot of kids had nothing to get signed because nothing was said. I have taken my kids 10 years,Even went to Chattanoga when Tn pulled up the turf. THIS WAS THE WORST FAN DAY.It was managed about as well as the Football team last year...