Derek Dooley releases post-spring depth chart

Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley released the post-spring depth chart on Tuesday.

Offense

Pos. No. Name Ht. Wt. Class

TE 81 Mychal Rivera 6-3 251 Sr.-RS

88 Cameron Clear 6-6 283 So.

LT 74 Antonio Richardson 6-6 329 So.

77 Kyler Kerbyson 6-5 320 Fr.-RS

LG 71 Dallas Thomas 6-5 300 Sr.-RS

68 Marcus Jackson 6-2 318 So.

C 78 Alex Bullard 6-2 304 Jr. -RS

57 Mack Crowder 6-2 280 Fr.-RS

RG 72 Zach Fulton 6-5 319 Jr.

OR 64 James Stone 6-3 310 Jr.

RT 70 Ja’Wuan James 6-6 320 Jr.

67 Alan Posey 6-6 317 Fr.-RS

X 11 Justin Hunter 6-4 200 Jr.

6 Vincent Dallas 5-11 186 So.

Z 21 Da’Rick Rogers 6-3 208 Jr.

83 Zach Rogers 6-0 180 Sr.

QB 8 Tyler Bray 6-6 213 Jr.

14 Justin Worley 6-4 211 So.

TB 15 Marlin Lane 6-0 205 So.

OR 20 Rajion Neal 5-11 210 Jr.

OR 19 Devrin Young 5-8 171 So.

FB 39 Ben Bartholomew 6-2 251 Sr.-RS

OR 85 Brendan Downs 6-5 251 So.

Defense

Pos. No. Name Ht. Wt. Class

LE 55 Jacques Smith 6-2 242 Jr.

54 Jordan Williams 6-5 255 So.

DT 90 Steven Fowlkes 6-5 254 Sr.-RS

OR 94 Darrington Sentimore 6-3 288 Jr.-RS

DT 44 Maurice Couch 6-2 295 Jr.-RS

OR 76 Daniel Hood 6-4 293 Jr.-RS

OR 93 Gregory Clark 6-2 318 So.-RS

RE 58 Marlon Walls 6-2 283 Jr.-RS

96 Trevarris Saulsberry 6-3 288 Fr.-RS

SLB 56 Curt Maggitt 6-3 227 So.

86 Willie Bohannon 6-2 250 Sr.-RS

MLB 34 Herman Lathers 6-0 225 Sr.-RS

52 Christian Harris 6-2 238 Fr.-RS

OR 47 John Propst 6-0 225 Jr.

WLB 45 A.J. Johnson 6-3 244 So.

46 Channing Fugate 6-1 223 Jr.

LCB 27 Justin Coleman 5-11 180 So.

10 Marsalis Teague 5-10 183 Sr.

FS 37 Brian Randolph 6-0 191 So.

22 Rod Wilks 6-0 217 Sr.-RS

SS 17 Brent Brewer 6-1 217 Jr.

OR 3 Byron Moore 6-1 196 Jr.-RS

RCB 23 Prentiss Waggner 6-2 180 Sr.-RS

OR 9 Izauea Lanier 6-1 188 Jr.-RS

Specialists

Pos. No. Name Ht. Wt. Class

P 43 Matt Darr 6-1 214 So.-RS

OR 1 Michael Palardy 5-11 177 Jr.

PK 1 Michael Palardy 5-11 177 Jr.

OR 26 Derrick Brodus 5-11 185 So.-RS

KOS 1 Michael Palardy 5-11 177 Jr.

26 Derrick Brodus 5-11 185 So.-RS

DS 53 J.R. Carr 5-10 220 Jr.-RS

57 Andrew Henry 6-2 211 So.

H 14 Justin Worley 6-4 211 So.

OR 43 Matt Darr 6-1 214 So.-RS

Returners

Pos. No. Name Ht. Wt. Class

PR 19 Devrin Young 5-8 171 So.

15 Marlin Lane 6-0 205 So.

KR 19 Devrin Young 5-8 171 So.

15 Marlin Lane 6-0 205 So.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

HtownVol writes:

Fowlkes at DT weighing in at 254...humm. Sure hope something about that changes.

UT sure has some big ol O-Linemen. We know they can pass block. Hopefully they can clear a path for 15. If not... AIR IT OUT!!

GO VOLS

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

I guess the positions where it says OR means that position is still up for grabs. The defensive backfield looks to really really talented. Also noticed that the defense is listed as a 4-3 roster.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS

Sending you a private message.

SevenT writes:

Lineup reminds me of chopped liver

mountainbrook writes:

in response to SevenT:

Lineup reminds me of chopped liver

That's probably just you looking in your mirror.

OrangePride writes:

in response to SevenT:

Lineup reminds me of chopped liver

....as does this post.

tnsportsman writes:

Dooley, go get 30,000 students and any older guy that has any eligibility left to try out for kicker and punter!!!!!!! Palardy and Darr are 5 Star BUST of the worst kind!

Other than kickers and punters, OUR VOLS look solid in the spring game. It's about time we got back to 85 scholarship players!

GO VOLS ALWAYS!

CharlotteVol writes:

Coleman beat out Teague for the left corner position. Not a surprise. Opponents targeted him too often last year and he had trouble covering.

Hope our d secondary is a strength for us this year. Randolph and Brewer have potential to be a strong tandem at safety.

Go Vols!

OrangePride writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

Well......you would be someone who obviously knows about academic ineligibility first hand there Sammy. You would need two promotions to just reach the level of "moron."

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Where's Eric Gordon? Dudes a player.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

This two deep roster is garbage. It means absolutely nothing...Christian Harris is on there and he's going to miss most of the season? The defense shows a 4-3?

pingkr62 writes:

Interesting to see only 10 seniors in the two deep. Things will be better this year, and a lot better next year. By the way, something stinks, I guess Sammy farted again. G.B.O.!!!

springtx_vol writes:

Observation One - 9 seniors on the two deep chart. Of these, only Lathers may be a loss for next year. Lots of players behind the others.

Observation Two - For the first time in a few years, we have some juniors that will probably go for the draft. Da'Rick - I figure almost certainly. Hunter, if he fully recovers and has a good year. Bray - maybe, but would really benefit from an extra year of development. Maybe one or two of the defensive front if they have a great year.

Observation Three - We are going to be even more stacked next year! Another recruiting class in the top 10 or so and we should be regulars at 9 plus wins every year.

GBO

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS

Fowlkes at DT may have something to do with the move to the 3-4 defense.

grobin4300 writes:

Here goes Dooley again, so tell me this: If Marlon Lane is your starting RB then why would you risk him getting injured on a Kickoff....let Young handle all K/O and Punt Returns.....tell me what team has their starting RB on the K/O team.....Dooley makes me shake my head

craiggrubbst writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Where's Eric Gordon? Dudes a player.

Was wondering the same thing. I imagine they will definitely use him in the nickel and dime packages. He looks like he's going for the big play every down that he's on the field.

tovolny writes:

Cornerbacks......1/4 needed strength.

Kickers.......0/6 needed strength.

Center......1/3 needed strength

Long Snapper.....0/2 needed strength

Walk-Ons......WELCOME

Athletic Coeds...WELCOME. If you can kick a football off a tee that stays in the air over 4 seconds...automatic scholarship....EOP

Other Positions....Highest rating in 5 years.

My Excitement Level....Highest in 5 years. But, we will need to score lots of points to counter the kicking fiascoes.

tovolny writes:

in response to grobin4300:

It is something like 50% +/- a few points. LSU uses starting DBs. Florida uses starting WRs.
If you got a good horse, I say ride it.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

GO VOLS ALWAYS!

don't forget about george bullock coming in the fall, and it's not like palardy and darr are gonna get any worse

UT4prez writes:

in response to grobin4300:

I made John L Stephens, my starting RB, my KO and P returner on Tecmo Super Bowl. Irving Fryar got hurt and my other players stink. The Pats are just bad on that game. See? It happens all the time.

fearthehound writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

WTF? KNS, do you realize that this moron posts the same kraapp on every story? If he is not one of your own (and I'm saying this with the obvious realization that he may very well be), why would you allow this to go on? Since this is a fan site, why wouldn't you at least attempt to kill the account of a loser troll? I'm sure it will be back under another name, but you can kill that one, too, right? It's not like it says anything worthwhile or of any value to Vol fans, after all...I would love to get the chance to meet this jerk in person

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

HeeeeeeHeeeeee HaaaaaaHaaaaaa........you're so funny!

Our athletes are star pupils!

Go Vols!

TNVolunteers57 writes:

I'm excited to see what our Vols can do this year. A lot more talent that there has been in the past. I just hope that CJC can figure out how to get all of these athletes the ball.
GBO

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

jerk, he's our coach...live with it or get lost!

you must be miserable to live with...(everything is terrible all of the time type).

anyhow, im anxious to see this team.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

no, that would be your UF boys...the meyer cup will still be owned by you gaters

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to grobin4300:

yea, why would a coach put the best players on the field?? he's crazy.....like when majors put willie gault returning kickoffs.....dang....not smart.....(sarcasm off)

tnfanincali writes:

I for one am excited about this year. Got a lot of experienced talent and depth at all positions on the offense except for the RB position but I think those guys will be good enough to complement our passing game if our large OLine can open some holes for them. And we've got a pretty good one coming in the fall. On D there are a few more questions but the starters are there. Depth may be a bit more of a question on that side of the ball, but if the scheme works like it is supposed to and our offense can keep them off the field, that could be a moot point.. Lookin forward to the upcoming season. Can see us winning 8-9 games if we avoid the injury bug and we get a few bounces going our way. With a bowl win we could be looking at a 10 win season... Who knows we may end up 6-6 or 7-5, but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen again this year. Too much talent returning and a much easier schedule.. GO VOLS!!!! oh yeah no more orange pants please!

bluetickhound writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Where's Eric Gordon? Dudes a player.

Greg King also notably absent. I see Cordarelle and big boy nose tackle as the most likely recruits to break into the 2 deep.

DC_your_mom_called writes:

in response to grobin4300:

Jay Graham used to return kicks for us. I can think of one in particular that put a fork in a Bama team that went on to lose 41-14. Terrible decision by Fulmer.

BTW, Lane, Young, and Neal are all listed as potential starters at RB, so even if your concern over using a starting RB was legitimate, it isn't a guarantee that is what Dooley has in mind anyway.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

No. That was you.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Am I missing something?

LE, DT, DT, RE
SLB, MLB, WLB

That looks like a 4-3 to me. I thought it was supposed to be a 3-4? What am I missing?

driver2003 writes:

Does anyone else remember the Kentucky game last year?The defensive line kept being pushed back 5+ yards each play!Why?It might be because TN has the smallest D-line...Average linemen weight in the league is around 300+...average for TN is @ 250.I really hope Sunseri has a plan.Kicking game!Are you freaking kidding me?My 12 yr old kid can punt further than 35 yds.These are 5 star kickers on the team?I have faith in Dooley,but it is wearing thin.Mainly now my faith in him is because we we can't afford or attract anyone better!

hueypilot writes:

in response to tnfanincali:

I'mm 66 and have been getting excited about UT football for about 56 years now. I've had some good years but I've been disappointed as well. I remember all to well 11 in a row, and hope we have seen the bottom of the pit last year against Kentucky. Obviously Dooley is on the hot seat. NC State, Fla, Miss St., Mizzou, Georgia and S. Car. are all pivotal games and will likely determine Dooley's future. Yes, I am conceding a loss to Saban.

Most telling state of the condition of UT football? In USA Today's listing of the top 150 players to go in the draft, Poole was listed as a second ten running back and I believe he was the only Vol listed. I don't ever remember a lower total of Vols being considered in the draft.

frblalack writes:

Good comments from some true vol fans. Let's not be so critical!!!! We have the making of one of the very best defenses in the SEC! That (for you mental giants)! is the BEST in the country.

Thermopyle writes:

Perhaps I'm not reading the depth chart correctly, but if the Vols base defense is a 3-4, why is the defensive depth chart presented like a 4-3? Jack LB and NT don't appear to be called that in this chart.

bebecerveza writes:

Wouldn't put too much stock into this depth chart, you have a couple of guys coming in (Patterson, Mnt. McCullers) that will be in the 2 deep if not starting. Also Harris will be lucky to see any time this year after the ACL.

Think you are going to see a lot of 4-3 especially in the begining working into the 3-4 by next year. Otherwise after our performance last Sat, you will see a lot of teams flat run us over.

garycg writes:

I wish they would make this a pay site, surely that would weed out some of these d.o.a.'s that post here

rtrchatt writes:

Go to class boys and secure your future with a college degree. Just like the Tide roster as only a few of you will ever see the NFL except on tv. The above roster has very few, but the Red Elephants is a different story.

JayTee writes:

I see Jacob Carter having a great spring practice and had more catches than anyone in the OW game really meant diddly squat to Dooley.

Way to ignore the obvious and reward the failures of others coach.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

Keep making different screen names, your message is still phooey
Get a life

NO_DIGGITY writes:

It looks like we are two deep at every position for the
first time since Dooley has been here. JUCO Patterson
should break in at WR and NT McCullers will beef up
the DL. Hopefully George Bullock can break in as
Place Kicker. As far as True Freshman, Look for Pig
Howard to help on Special Teams.

I also found a Troll Depth Chart:

Pomac with a Peach Bowl Banner flying from his Chair.Now
claims to be a Vandy and Belmont Fan? Hilarious. Actually makes
predictions on this web site on UT's games. He went 4 and 11 when
picking UT basketball (similar to Fulmers record against top 20
teams from 04 to 08). Hilarious. Has almost 34 hits on his You
Tube Videos. Hilarious. Vocabulary Limited to Hilarious and
Rick Byrd. Films his youtube videos from Great Aunts Basement.
Age and whereabouts unknown. If he gives betting advice, take
the other team.

On Topic, we will actually be 3 deep in some positions. Glad to
finally be at 85 schollys instead ot the 63 Dooley inherited

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to NO_DIGGITY:

It looks like we are two deep at every position for the
first time since Dooley has been here. JUCO Patterson
should break in at WR and NT McCullers will beef up
the DL. Hopefully George Bullock can break in as
Place Kicker. As far as True Freshman, Look for Pig
Howard to help on Special Teams.

I also found a Troll Depth Chart:

Pomac with a Peach Bowl Banner flying from his Chair.Now
claims to be a Vandy and Belmont Fan? Hilarious. Actually makes
predictions on this web site on UT's games. He went 4 and 11 when
picking UT basketball (similar to Fulmers record against top 20
teams from 04 to 08). Hilarious. Has almost 34 hits on his You
Tube Videos. Hilarious. Vocabulary Limited to Hilarious and
Rick Byrd. Films his youtube videos from Great Aunts Basement.
Age and whereabouts unknown. If he gives betting advice, take
the other team.

On Topic, we will actually be 3 deep in some positions. Glad to
finally be at 85 schollys instead ot the 63 Dooley inherited

FYI, there are a few of the "real vol fans" on here who would atleast have me in the two deep on your starting troll roster. And I can kick too. Just sayin.....

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Am I missing something?

LE, DT, DT, RE
SLB, MLB, WLB

noticed that too. Did someone forget to tell Dooley the Vols switched to the 3-4?
I want to be excited about this season, but it's really hard with what looks like a Chinese Fire Drill going on in Knoxville.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Griswold:

Oh lord, here we go again! Cue up the gloom and doomers.......

PUL4VOLS writes:

First off, NO_DIGGITY; that's a classic dude. Secondly, this is just a preliminary depth chart and will definitely see changes by the week before the first game. It has been communicated they will use 4-3 working toward 3-4 defense this year, no surprise to see 4-3 listed. Everything will change with incoming players and all the academic entanglements. So hold on. Finally, if you nega-noVol pretenders could at least show a little respect for the head coach, it would show at least a hint of class on your part. Spouting off as you do based on the past shows little to no class. Now, that is my final word to trollamaniacs. You are free to surf this site. It would just be nice if you had some respect. I know I know...you change your tune when Coach Dooley's team beats BAMA. GOOD GRIEF!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Griswold:

They don't wanna see it. I'm 100% convinced of that. If its good news, they come on here bragging, thanking KNS for a good article, just having a jolly time with it. But when stuff like this comes up, they simply turn a blind eye to it. It's KNS's fault, bad journalism, trolling. Dooley not knowing 30% of his team was below a 2.0 until the end of the semester isn't his fault, it's our fault. Yours, mine, KNS, etc. catch my drift?

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Rich,

I enjoy your comments. You are a realist and want UT to succeed, but see the problems facing the team. I like the depth chart and see some talent, but Special Teams can cost us a couple of games if that doesn't improve. By the way, it may have seem liked I was bashing Fulmer but I am also a realist. I realize he wasn't evaluating and coaching talent the way he did from 92 to 04. One exception was the 06 Team, but better coaching could have won the LSU and FLA games.I follow a Team more than a Coach. If you can Kick and have any eligibility get over there. I kick like Chuck Brown or I would. Keep up the good work.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS

Is Fowlkes a vegetarian? Give that boy some meat, taters and gravy!

SewaneeVolFan writes:

in response to NO_DIGGITY:

It looks like we are two deep at every position for the
first time since Dooley has been here. JUCO Patterson
should break in at WR and NT McCullers will beef up
the DL. Hopefully George Bullock can break in as
Place Kicker. As far as True Freshman, Look for Pig
Howard to help on Special Teams.

I also found a Troll Depth Chart:

Pomac with a Peach Bowl Banner flying from his Chair.Now
claims to be a Vandy and Belmont Fan? Hilarious. Actually makes
predictions on this web site on UT's games. He went 4 and 11 when
picking UT basketball (similar to Fulmers record against top 20
teams from 04 to 08). Hilarious. Has almost 34 hits on his You
Tube Videos. Hilarious. Vocabulary Limited to Hilarious and
Rick Byrd. Films his youtube videos from Great Aunts Basement.
Age and whereabouts unknown. If he gives betting advice, take
the other team.

On Topic, we will actually be 3 deep in some positions. Glad to
finally be at 85 schollys instead ot the 63 Dooley inherited

Hilarious and wickedly accurate two deep on the troll lineup, ND.

If the digs for the Fulmer-worshipping troll were at Fulmer, however, rather than at the troll for being unable to let go of the Coach Fulmer Era, they were unnecessary and weakened your post.

I don't dispute for a minute that the last Fulmer years were unfortunate (I guess that's why he got fired). However, he was also the first UT coach to win an undisputed, unanimous NCAA championship since General Neyland, 47 YEARS EARLIER.

And if in your storied, over-a-century-long football history, you've a total of three coaches win national championships, why pick on 33% of them?

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

I can't help it. That was a bit comical.