Holdsclaw: Coach Summitt is 'my second mother'

News Sentinel

Photo by Joe Howell

News Sentinel Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt enjoys a laugh with player Chamique Holdsclaw on Nov. 1, 1998.

“Tough times don’t last, but tough people do.”

That’s what Coach Pat Summitt used to preach to us in practice all the time. As an adult, I find myself using that message in my daily life. That was the special thing about Coach Summitt and her lessons: They weren’t just lessons for the court -- they were lessons for a lifetime.

Continue reading at hlntv.com.

MemphoVol writes:

Well said, Chamique. You are truly a Vol For Life. And I bet Pat would say that she learned as much from you and other Lady Vols as you learned from her.

Thermopyle writes:

Excellent tribute.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Excellent tribute to a great coach!

Great tribute by Chamique! What a poised, bright, beautiful young woman she has become! There are links from that HLN site to countless other tributes to Pat from coaches and columnists all over the country. I invite all LV fans to bask yet again in the glory that is Pat Summit!

FanNotSheep writes:

I dare say that means as much to Pat as the money and the championships. Coaches and teachers play such a huge role in our lives, and I can think of several that helped me to learn important life lessons. I am glad that Chamique was able to battle through her hardest times and come out strong on the other side. I feel certain her grandmother was a great person as well.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Yeah, we posted that AP story to GVX early yesterday morning. http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/a...

-- jack lail

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Heck, we put his name in the headline. It's not like you read John Adams by mistake! :)

-- jack lail

ModelMaker writes:

Very impressive tribute. Chamique is just as impressive with the words as she is as a basketball player. I wish her the very best in anything that she does.