Tennessee Volunteers coach Derek Dooley sees upswing

Tennessee defensive lineman Marlon Walls jokes with head coach Derek Dooley during the Orange and White Game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 21, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

KNOXVILLE -- Tennessee's spring football practice may be over, but that doesn't mean Derek Dooley will relax.

Less than 48 hours after his third Orange and White spring game as the Volunteers' coach, Dooley was back in his office Monday afternoon meeting with offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri before a round of interviews.

With seven new assistant coaches and a new defense creating an atmosphere of freshness around the program, Dooley is upbeat about his team's progress in 15 spring workouts. The coach, in fact, has been that way all offseason, even when the season-ending loss to Kentucky that capped a disappointing was still fresh.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

dgcarter43 writes:

As much as I like coach Dooley as a person, he still has to prove himself as a coach at the SEC level. After watching the O&W game,I can hardly believe how dreadful the kicking game is with two of the nation's top kickers with as much experience as they have. Also,I don't understand constantly moving sophomores and juniors around trying to figure where they fit in the best. They need to be settled in and comfortable in their positions by now.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to dgcarter43:

Musical chairs with coaches and players.

Vol86 writes:

This was the first time in four years we had enough players for a spring game. Now we are loaded with offensive talent, and have some exerience on D. We will learn much this year. But we should be as fans a little excited.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

Musical chairs with coaches and players.

Do you so-called "fans" always have such sour outlooks on life in general or is it just UT football? I would rather be a Big Orange fan @ 6-6 than a Bama / Gator fan @ 12-0. Yes, I hate to lose. But win or lose, my blood will always be orange!

Rockytopfan96 writes:

I totally believe in Coach Dooley, and I know that he knows the best thing for the team. He is gonna make us all proud!

Bubba_Knows writes:

Dooley for President!

Bubba_Knows writes:

If this Juco kid is as good as I have heard he is, we are going to be UNSTOPPABLE at WR. I mean how do you guard Hunter, Rogers, and Patterson on the field at the same time?

PUL4VOLS writes:

I saw at the O/W game a team which looks ready to play. I know all the flap on the Chatt. radio show and other places, "It's just a spring game, means nothing!" I disagree. While they were not competing against top SEC opponents, they just look like they want it more and that will translate on the field in the fall. The kicking game is a mystery which needs attention. But the offense with a full squad and the defense looking hungry just made me think they are not on the same level as last year. They are better. That all being said they still have a lot to prove. If they could come out on Aug. 31st and smack a good NC State team, they would be well on their way. So let's wait and see. All the nega-Dooleyers, we have to bear with until the Vols break through. By the way, negamanics, he is still the head coach and likely will be at least until the end of this season. I suggest you try to bite the bullet and be a true Vol fan. BigOrangeFever76 has the right attitude.

60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol writes:

To the real vols out there, I have followed this team since the "Doug Who" game with FL in the 60s. I was 4 at the time. I came to love Coach Dickey and all he did to grow the program in Knoxville. In that day, we could drive from Johnson City eat at Morrison's Cafeteria (I think that was the name) in East Knoxville, leave Mom to shop downtown, Dad and I would go to the game, all Kickoffs were at 1:00, and get back home late (No Interstate).Transitions are tough.Support the VOLS!
Bill Battle was and is the smartest guy to ever coach the team. (Neyland the toughest and greatest leader)some people sent moving vans to Battle's house for a record we would love to have next year, no one could get over the Alabama background. Transitions are tough. Support the VOLS!
Johnny came marching home, after a lot of toil in a different era, he brought us great times and great fun and tough teams and players and Championships. He was a home boy and our loyality was evident.Transitions are tough. Support the VOLS!
Coach Fulmer was and is all vol. He took us to the top! My heart breaks for a man, who loves a University and program and profession so much. No one had more pride when wearing the orange than this good man. Transitions are tough.Support the VOLS!
Coach Kiffin, was one and done, but in that one year his brash, flash, shock and awe, excited us. In hindsight we talk about reservations and trust, liked jilted lovers which we all were. Transitions are tough.Support the VOLS!
And today Coach Dooley is bright, hard working, organized, caring, and has inherited the toughest transition of all time. He will right the ship, if given time, and truly supported by US, it will be fun again. Transitions are tough. Support the VOLS!
Because you see through all of this, being a Tennessee Vol has the most meaning and purpose in the lives of the young men and Coaches who give their all for Tennessee each day, and the fans who grow up knowing or loving nothing more than the BIG ORANGE. Transitions are tough. SUPPORT THE VOLS! August 31st is just around the corner.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Toddywoman, either you are another incarnation of Jeff Flowers or you all are roomies. I know that May-December thing you all have might be tough but if its true "Dooley-Envy", don't fight it. You bash Dooley. Flowers bashes Dooley. Which tells me neither of you can get him out of your mind. Of course, if you had a JOB you would not have so much time to laze around the basement blasting CDD all day. Sooner or later, your mommy is going to boot you out. Poor Toddy.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to toddyboy:

While you and Flowers battle if out for the laughingstock of GVX.

PS...please don't us "us" when referring to the Vols. You ain't one of "us".

Vol43 writes:

in response to toddyboy:

TROLL ALERT! If you don't already know, toddy is not and never has been a VOL. He's a mindless troll and nothing more.

govols1981 writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

thats the best post i have seen in a while.hunter,rodgers,patterson will be a awesome trio to watch in the fall.i cant wait.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Was reported yesterday that the team has struggled in the classroom:

"The scholarship average was a 1.9 and 30 players currently on academic probation which requires two consecutive semesters of below a 2.0 or a cumulative gpa below a 2.0."

Very embarrassing to hear. Again, the team GPA was 2.08, but the GPA for scholarship players was 1.9? Several players were inelegible for a bowl game had we of made a bowl. One of those players were DaRick Rogers which would explain why he could give two s---- about a bowl game....he wouldn't have even played in a bowl game. I'm sorry, but a 1.9 GPA amongst scholarship players is pretty pathetic, especially when Dooley keeps preaching about this and that, VFL, blah blah blah. What's really going on over there?

crappieking writes:

After 4-8 or 5-7 this upcoming season, the Dooley debates will be over.

Vol43 writes:

TROLL ALERT

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to toddyboy:

This should be interesting to say the least.

volpreacher writes:

in response to toddyboy:

I don't think he's defending a 6-6 season. I think the point is, none of us like losing. I sure don't! But if the Vols finish 6-6, I'm still all Vol. Is Dooley the man for the job? I don't know. But as a Vol fan I will support him 100% until there's a change.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Here's another TRUE Vol Fan! We aren't satisfied with 6-6 but we support the team to the bitter end. This program got into a terrible mess. The good news is we are finally rcovering. This will be a pretty good team. Some of you guys that get on this site and constantly run down the team and university are merely scared. You know we are back and that terrifies you. Guess what? We're back and there's not a dang thing you can do about it! The Vols are back! Deal with it!

Go Big Orange! You have my support until the day I die!

hickoryvol writes:

in response to toddyboy:

And I'm sure you are a better coach. You guys are as bad as the ones that kept hollering for Fulmers head. Just root for your team and quit all the neagative phooey!!!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Being accused by a pathetic little girl like you means absolutely nothing. And as for "king of this site", that makes no more sense than calling yourself a TENNESSEE fan. WE will all post as we wish, with no thought of you. As far as engaging you in a battle of wits is concerened, that would prove you totally unarmed. To lower oneself to your standards is rediculous. As the saying goes " If you play with S___ you're bound to get some on you. So, toddygirl, with that I retire to talk with the grown-ups. Bon Jour. Oh, by the way, you will never win..Never Have..Never Will.

TommyJack writes:

still trying to figger out what a true TN fan is....

VolinCalif writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

Yes Pul
Things will be much better this year. The Sec isn't quite as Strong this year as last year and our schedule is much easier. Our players are much better and I think the coaching staff is much better. This is a team and staff that mean to win and show their stuff. There is a very good chance we will make a run at the East. We only need to win over Ga or SC and we are in the race. We play both of those teams very good every year so why not? NCS is a Win for UT. The 3rd of Oct is a return of the Bear so who knows what will happen. But 9-3 or 10-2 is doable.
GBO

Daytripper88 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

amen brother, just like this society we live in now everyone wants wins and wins only and fire ya if you cant produce immediately instead of busting ur butt and working hard for somethin... my vols are just like my kids , ill love em til the day i die no matter

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

30 players on academic probation from the fall?!?!?! Team GPA of 2.06, but GPA amongst scholarship players was1.9?!?!?! What the hell is going on over there?!?!?! 1/3 of your players are on academic probation?!?!?! We've all seen this before. Some will get it right, some won't. Even some of the ones who do get it right will only do so momentarily only to slack up again and get booted by bowl season. If even 6-8 of those on academic probation don't get it fixed, it could be a crushing blow to this program. This is unacceptable!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Toddy I just don't think that is true. There isn't one Coach in the SEC that would have touched this job and everyone knows it. No you couldn't just through money out there and get the coaches you wanted. They had to at least see that they could preserve some of their status and it was a sure thing that just wasn't going to happen. Anyone can whine and cry but Dooley has started building a good team and program, give him the time we would have given any coach and he'll do the job. He'll be around a long time and UT will be very glad to have had him as a Coach. A run at the East, a great year coming
GBO

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to toddyboy:

I ain't going anywhere! Neither are my mighty Vols or Coach Dooley! Deal with it!

Rock On Vols!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Yes Pul
GBO

Don't kid yourself, the SEC is as strong as ever. Seems like every year someone says the SEC is gonna be down and it never happens. Where do folks come up with this stuff?

givehim6 writes:

in response to toddyboy:

I have been reading this tit for tat stuff for a few minutes and it is really making me ticked, so I have someting to say and a question or two. It looks to me the real Vol fan vs troll question boils down to this who love the Vols or not? Think of the marrige vow, will you love this person in sickness and health? Better and worse? This tells me the true fan that loves there Vols sticks in there in good times and the bad. Kingdom? this is a Vols web site. Punishing something till they submit is sick bud this tells us what kind of person you really are, delusional and sick. One more thing who made you king? I only have one king he is the LORD above my friend, sounds to me if you are in need of haveing a real friend you need him also.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to toddyboy:

1-7 in a league that had 5 top ten team isn't the bottom of lthe barrel. We won't say anything about our injuries or lack of depth. As for the LIST, there isn't one S,, list that I haven't at least been considered for. So we will be looking forward to the fall and your exit under the present screen name. Have a good summer you sure won't have a good fall.
9-3 plus a bowl

Classof72 writes:

I hope they can fix the kicking game before the opener. If they don't, the other improvements won't be enough. Unfortunately, there's no reason to think they can fix the kicking game.

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

I nominate this as the post of the month!

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

GBO

That's the main thing that bothers all the trolls on here. That Dooley will be around for a long time.
And as much as they rant and insult Dooley, they have NO say in whether he stays or goes.
So they can enjoy called him pet names and complaining about him all summer, because no will care, because UT is a team on the rise, and they are a team that will be respected by our opponents.

The saddest thing, is the "Pretend Vol Fans" keep saying they are not happy with Dooley's record, But not one of them has said they would get behind him, if he starts winning.

If Dooley wins 8-9 games this year (I don't know if he will, but he should),
I wonder what new name, ToddyBoy will post under. Of course he will then say he supported Dooley from day one.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

100% CORRECT

usafvol writes:

in response to toddyboy:

You're such a boob! I can't remember seeing Dooley miss a block, miss a tackle, drop a pass or fumble the ball. What I have seen is players in the correct position to make the plays (good coaching). I'd wager you've never actually played the game except for maybe on your xbox..

UTKin1992 writes:

The only "upswing" Dooley's gonna see is the final punch that takes him out as head coach. The sooner that happens, the faster we start really rebuilding.

spvol writes:

ToddyBoy, you have been posting to this site for nearly three hours. Time for your nap. Or better yet, time to get a job.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

I don't disagree with most of what you said. But SC is loaded this year, Ga is loaded, Bama will take a step back but still be tough. Missouri is gonna have a good football team, I'm not sleeping on them. Mississippi State will be improved, and I personally think that's gonna be one of the tougher games we play. Again, I've said on here that this should be an 8-9 win team. But it could go either way. It could be a disastrous year as well. The NC State game is huge.

I'm not sure I understand your logic saying we're gonna win against all these teams who won less than 7 games. Especially since we didn't win 7 games.

bigorangeconverT writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

-allvol is right, transitions are tough. Clearly some fans aren't up to facing the tough times. They're too afraid of looking weak by associating with a team that performs poorly. They won't just switch allegiance to a team that's up at the moment because they don't want to look hypocritical, so they instead kick the program while it's down and try to distance themselves from the weakness. They are too afraid to admit that they need this team to be successful in order to feel important and successful themselves. They are cowards. The tough fans are good sports. They are willing to take their turn at the bottom because they trust it won't always be this way. In the next decade or so, Bama and LSU will have their turns at bottom-tier again. And when UT rises to the top, the real fans will be happy for the team they were ALWAYS proud to claim.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Of 31 juniors on the football team, 22 had below a 2.0 GPA in the fall and are now on academic probation. I mention the juniors because they are our "upperclassmen" for the most part. 1/3 of the football players who are on scholarship are on academic probation. The LAST thing this team needs is to lose a handful of players due to grades. Whats going on over there?

Conar_the_Barbarian writes:

I don't understand the logic of the fans that say that if you're critical of Dooley, then you aren't a true Vols fan. I believe it's possible to be critical of the job Dooley's done, and still be loyal to the team (ie. go to games, watch games, read GoVolsXtra articles). By that logic, if you're critical of the President, then you must not love the U.S. What a bunch of baloney. So what, that one fan likes Dooley and the other doesn't. It's just a difference in opinion. It's not grounds to question the other's loyalty.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Are those "rising" juniors or current juniors? I assume "rising" as current juniors are Kiffin's decimated class. Did Hamilton forget to tell Dooley when he hired him that increasing academic accomplishments was a primary goal. Kiffin got it. Freshman and sophomore classes are far easier than junior level classes.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to Tau_of_Tennessee:

I nominate this as the post of the month!

I second that motion!

Go Vols!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

And you know this how?

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I think they said "rising" juniors.

arkyvol writes:

yawn. wake me when dooley manages his second winning season (notice i didn't say 'in conference'; that ain't never gonna happen). i could be asleep longer than rip van winkle.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to RashaadSalabeb:

And you know this how?

I ate some spicy food before going to bed last night which caused me to have crazy dreams. Of those dreams, I dreamed that UTs players were struggling in the classroom. So I just wanted to share my dreams with GVX.....

wallingdad writes:

in response to RashaadSalabeb:

I second that motion!

Go Vols!

I agree with the post except that comment about Bill Battle. not sure he was the most intelligent coach we have had. I guess it depends on one's definition of intelligence. I will always believe there was an inside conspiracy going on with Battle. Battle was a disciple of the Bear. Battle's predecessor, Doug Dickey, had his way with the Bear. the Bear did not like it and made sure UT put Battle (remember a Bear disciple) at the helm. UT promptly started losing to Alabama and then to everyone else. Where did Battle go after his coaching days at UT? to work for the Bear in his window factory. planned or simply coincidence? Battle destroyed UT for years.

I know, I know, my wife says I am nuts too but it sure was coincedental wasn't it? anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!!

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

I was impressed by that Tom Smith kid at RB. Reminds me of Jamal Lewis a bit. Weird seeing one of our RB's get a few yards after being touched. Keep him in coach! Go Vols!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

You are partially correct. I am ALL VOL and I believe the new coaches can put all the talent we have together and have a special year. Until the games are played, I choose to be optimistic. We will find out soon enough. You are correct that this year will be pivotal to Dooley's and the programs success. Paid Season tickets are down to under 60,000 and the Vol fan base is tired of waiting. We've had to endure 20 losses in the last 3 years(same # UT lost in Fulmer's 1st 9 years combined). This has to be the year UT makes a splash again by beating a top 25 team and finishing with 8/9 wins. If not, then just imagine what the negativity will be like next year. Not even next, like you said, if UT loses to NCst and Florida then by the time Bama game comes around there might be more Crimson than Orange.