Matt Simms among several to get tryout with Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Former University of Tennessee quarterback Matt Simms, the youngest son of former Giants star Phil Simms, is among 23 players invited by the New York Jets for a tryout at their rookie minicamp this weekend.

The Jets also offered a tryout Monday to former Penn State running back Joe Suhey, the son of former Bears fullback Matt Suhey, and agreed to terms on a contract with former Nittany Lions cornerback D'Anton Lynn, son of former NFL running back and current New York running backs coach Anthony Lynn.

Lynn is among 10 undrafted players who have agreed to terms on deals, including former North Alabama linebacker Marcus Dowtin, Michigan State tight end Brian Linthicum and Tulsa quarterback G.J. Kinne.

New York also re-signed wide receiver DaMarcus Ganaway, who was cut on April 3.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

BreweryVol writes:

Matt I wish you the best of luck. Your dad had a great career in New York. Maybe you can too. Represent Tennessee well and I hope you will be a VFL.

PUL4VOLS writes:

I wish Matt the best. He tried on Rocky Top and it didn't pan out which was not all on him. He took some shots which I hope Tyler Bray never has to take and hang in there. I expect before this post gets on, the nega-ones will show up. I still wish him well.

Colliervol writes:

Good luck to Matt. I am surprised that he got invited to a camp but hey, it's the Jets and that idiot Rex Ryan. They think Tim Tebow can actually be an NFL quarterback too.

bobbarbilly writes:

Matt Sims stood in there and took the hits while allowing a young team to build and grow. Kinda like the Alamo. Alamo Sims.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Good luck Mr Simms. Anybody who stood in there and took the shots, then got replaced (more than once), but never complained or asked to transfer, is a VFL in my book.

On another note, at least two undrafted QBs invited. Shows how much confidence the Jets have in Tebow. Can't help but chuckle a little about that. (I know. They only signed him for the publicity and ticket sales, but still...)

VAvolfanRON writes:

go for it matt.....

OldVols68 writes:

Here comes the negatives: he is not his father. Before I rant any further I must admit I hold Chris Simms' defection from Tennessee to Texas against even his brother; never liked the Simms after that. That said I do wish Matt well, and agree he took some shots he probably ( let's change that to definitely) would not have taken with say Alabama's offensive line in front of him.

But the reality is Matt Simms is not pro material.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

Give it up dude. Go sell insurance.

voloffaith writes:

in response to FLORIDAGATORHATER:

Give it up dude. Go sell insurance.

As an insurance agent should I take offense to that? Or were ewe simply saying he ain't got a pro career so get a real job? Is it A or B?

dvhill100 writes:

He had the heart of a lion and sharp football brain, but didn't quite have the skillset. I wish him the best, but think he'll be a very good if not great coach if that is what he decides to do.

BigBadVol writes:

Good luck Matt!

givehim6 writes:

in response to FLORIDAGATORHATER:

Give it up dude. Go sell insurance.

If Matt does not make it in the NFL, he has said he wants to try it in coaching. I here some of those guys make some good $$$$. Chris may not have the arm some Vol QB'S have had, but he is got to be the toughest UT has had sense Tee Martin.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Dude doesn't know what he's talking about. With the baby boomers, the insurance industry is thriving and is a great opportunity for someone to make mega bucks. Dude's probably making 25k a year while bashing a 100k job.

Voltman writes:

Doubt he will make it. I watched him play alot the two seasons he was here. Good leadership ability not that good with throwing the ball all the way to the target or doing a quarterback sneak. But hey Hes got a hell of a lotta leadership skills from what i saw him doing on screen at least during football games. I remember the broadcasters saying he wants to be a coach after attending all those summer quarterback camps if he doesnt make it in the NFL. Dont try too hard Matt your chances are awfuly low at being on a roster and while it sounds mean for me to say this dont keep trying to make it in the NFL go into coaching immediately I can tell your leadership abilities would serve you well in coaching and you would make more money in the long run if you get into coaching the sooner the better. I have a feeling that if Dooley is still coaching the Vols a year or two from now that Simms could be on the staff as a graduate assistant learning how to be a quarterbacks coach in the future.(thats me stretching the imagination a little bit on him being back at UT lol)

Theo writes:

Good Luck Matt, your toughness made us all proud. Hope you catch on with a team but if you don't I know good things await you.
Hope you are proud to be a VFL.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Jets concession Mgr: Okay son, let's see what you got?
Matt Simms: Peanuts!! Get your Peanuts!!

FanNotSheep writes:

Good young man. But this is more about his dad than his talent. He may be like Pat Ryan and get a paycheck for holding a clipboard. Might make a good coach someday. Not going to see the field much if at all in the NFL.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Pat Ryan was a solid back-up for years and started a fair share of games as a jet..He was much more than a clip board holder..Just sayin'