'All is good': Andre Lott out as Vol for Life coordinator

Tennessee football Vol for Life coordinator Andre Lott, right, presents Habitat for Humanity homeowner Kim Dixon, left, with a Bible signed by the football team during a dedication ceremony for her home in South Knoxville Saturday, July 21, 2012. Dixon and Marye Byrd will live in the home with their families starting next month. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Former Tennessee defensive back Andre Lott said this morning that he's ready "for the next stage of life" after departing his post as the football program's Vol For Life coordinator.

Lott confirmed he no longer holds the position, but declined to say whether it was his choice.

"I don't want to get into all that," he said. "Honestly, I'll just say all is good. I'm just looking forward to my future."

Lott's position, created by head coach Derek Dooley upon his arrival in 2010, directs a program for UT football players centering on four areas of personal growth: character education, life skills, career development and spiritual growth.

Dooley is scheduled to hold a 6:15 p.m. press conference at Neyland Stadium unrelated to Lott's departure.

The now-vacant VFL coordinator position caps an offseason in which seven UT coaches parted ways with the program.

"I've just enjoyed my time mentoring and being a role model and older brother to these guys, but it's time to move on to the next stage in my life," Lott said.

Lott served as the Vols' team captain in 2001 under coach Phil Fulmer. He went on to play six seasons in the NFL with the Washington Redskins, San Diego Chargers and Pittsburgh Steelers. The All-SEC defensive back was drafted by Washington in the fifth round of the 2001 draft.

Lott was hired by Dooley in June 2010 after spending time as assistant football coach and head track and field coach in the Hardin County school system. He was also "success coordinator" in the school system, helping kids with broken families, drug use, bullying and teen pregnancy.

Lott said he could envision returning to a similar role.

"My whole goal is to stay in education," he said. "I'm looking forward to moving in that direction."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at http://twitter.com/TennesseeBeat

Sports reporter Brendan F. Quinn contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Sholmey1221 writes:

VF2Y

clcvol writes:

Bring in Inky for the position

VolzsFan writes:

Some users consider this comment inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

No one can work with DD. At some point he needs to look in the mirror and realize EVERYBODY else is not wrong, maybe he needs to do something different.

GreerVol22 writes:

Guys for this VFL thing to work, you need someone that bleeds Orange and has impeccable character and that has a marqui name at least in the annals of Tennessee history. If only a Reggie White were available.

10ec_fan writes:

Inky Johnson would be the best hire for this position! Hear us CDD!

voloffaith writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Look in the mirror and you see yourself in gator attire...not VOL! So keep an eye on Sir Will M. and see if there is a chomper site for you to get on and converse with chomper buddies....in other words don't(years now) keep acting like VOL fan when we all know not so.

On topic, how about we wait til facts are divulged, if any, then call the situation not based on guesses/speculation...

RockyTop1_old writes:

We need to fix whatever is wrong on the Hill now!! This is a GREAT program but we need a face for the program that bleeds ORANGE!!! VFL!!

ArmyDad writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

This one wasn't DD's doing. Don't point that finger, because it is way off base.

40cap writes:

in response to ArmyDad:

details???

DalTexVol writes:

in response to voloffaith:

You are being too nice calling them "chompers." I prefer the term belly-crawlers because it more accurately describes these reptilian trolls.

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Don't start blaming Dooley before u know the details. This is a easy position and one that pays well on the staff. This position is also one that needs a guy who has integrity and does the right thing when he is not around the program. I'm not saying Lott done anything wrong, but I find it hard to believe that someone would just leave a well paying, stress free, easy good paying job just because he doesn't like the coach. Let's face it...Lott is not going anywhere to coach so it's not like he has very many options to fall back on. I'm sure there are more reasons we may and may not hear that are behind his departure.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Isn't Phil Fulmer still being paid? Might he slip into the role?

ArmyDad writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Isn't Phil Fulmer still being paid? Might he slip into the role?

Not a chance.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to clcvol:

Bring in Inky for the position

Agree 100%.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Why don't you go slam your "rhymes with Volz" in a desk drawer, Bozo?

voloffaith writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Why don't you go slam your "rhymes with Volz" in a desk drawer, Bozo?

BOF76 you are assuming the chomper/belly crawling fan is not a female gender chomperette....either way the poor lil thing must be banned from chomper sites as has been on this one 2+ years.....

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Agree 100%.

I AGREE!!!...INKY, INKY, INKY, INKY.....VFL

voloffaith writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Two common themes we see sewed into the fabric of most futbol kns articles is Ky game and coaching changes.....they got the tiger by the tail(hot seat) and want to see it bleed all the way to its demise(apparently)

JayTee writes:

Did any of you ever stop to think the Tyler Bray beer bottle incident showed Dooley that Lott wasn't getting the job done.

fur_burglar writes:

Guys, what about Al Wilson...

Oh my gosh, guys, he bleeds Orange and I bet he could get these guys super pumped before the game too. Can y'all guys just picture Big Ol' Al in the locker room with T-Bruv, Special Sauce, J-Hun, The Rick and the gang? 8-o Oh my gosh, guys

Watch out, Gators; we comin', baby

StoneJackBaller writes:

Can you say Jamal Lewis!!! Talk about morals, character, etc...oh, wait, he was just arrested...nevermind.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to JayTee:

Lott is not a babysitter. At some point, the responsibility lay soley with the individual.

Vol4Him writes:

How about hiring someone who wasn't a former football player? What about someone who actually has studied and taught character development, life skills, and spiritual formation?
I agree that the person should "bleed orange"; however, there are some people who have both. One that comes to mind is Dr. Christopher Howard

10ec_fan writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Why don't you go slam your "rhymes with Volz" in a desk drawer, Bozo?

LOL!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to Vol4Him:

or how about someone who has "been there" and "done that" regarding making stupid decisions and paying consequences for them....and who also bleeds orange. which would qualify about 90% of us on this board!!! lol

Sparky7377 writes:

Terry Fair would be good @ V.F.L program !!

Hounddawg writes:

David Howell should be the first person Dooley Calls. VFL

subdoc32 writes:

luvmatersoup writes:

Hey guys, does anyone know how I could apply for this vacated position? Ole luvtomatosoup could do a great job being a VFL. In fact, I would love this opportunity. My only question is that with me living in Northern, VA.....does anyone think the University could help pick up my moving expenses? oh yeah...one more concern, I wouldn't want to be paid with MOU's like our bball coach. I can't afford to go very long with a paycheck. Go Vols!!

thevoice writes:

So I guess Jamal Lewis' name is off the list of replacements? I'll take the job.

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Hi RockyMountainVol....no, I didn't go to UT other than football games when I lived down there. When KNS first started running blogs on the University finally finalizing Coach Martin's contract, I was under the impression that we had not paid him since he came to Tennessee. Someone replied to my post and indicated that we did pay him some (I'm guessing about 1/2 of his normal pay) and then once the contract was finalized, the University paid Coach Martin the amount still owed plus interest. I still don't know much about being paid with MOU's but know I couldn't afford it. I still wonder what his wife does for a living? Must do something to make a good living! Go Vols!!!

Frapples writes:

How about not having this made up stupid job? I don't have a life coach, character development, or any of that BS at my job, nor did I have it in school. Sounds to me like a waste of money for a made up position. Was this positions services available to all UT students? Didn't think so.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to ArmyDad:

You can't throw that out there and walk away. Where is the base?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Isn't Phil Fulmer still being paid? Might he slip into the role?

Lack of character development is the reason John Adams said Fulmer should've been fired.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Frapples:

Not all UT students represent the university.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

The difference between the MOU and the contract is the guarantee of x dollars for x years. Martin was fully paid at the time of service rendered, I'm sure.

Couchdummy writes:

To hold a VFL Coordinator responsible for preventing immature acts by student athletes is like holding a church minister accountable for stopping teenage pregnancies.

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Thanks CoverOrange...I too am glad that the University decided to pay him. I had mentioned in my other post that I wonder if this sort of thing is common amongst the faculty at UT? One question though, you mention that you're sure he got paid in full at the time of serevice rendered....when was rendered? Do you mean once his contract was finalized he was paid in full (probably including interest) like a loan? I'm guessing that if the University (this is only an example) agreed to pay Coach Martin 1/2 up front and then the other 1/2 a year later, he probably earned around 3% interest. In the meantime, the University is taking the 1/2 they didn't pay Coach Martin and investing it in something with a 5 or 6% return.....it's a win/win for the University and Coach Martin (once Coach received his other 1/2 and the 3% interest). Man, just trying to wrap my brain around MOU's gives me a headache!!!!! Long story short, it reminds me of kind of like a loan I guess? Thanks for the 411 and Go Vols!!!!

arkyvol writes:

i'm looking forward to reading, "dooley out as vol head coach".

i'm thinking it ain't gonna be that long.

luvmatersoup writes:

Hey guys....one more thing I had to post after going back and taking a quick look at the picture on the top of this article.....Am I the only one that noticed how angry all the fans look in back of Andre Lott while he's signing an autograph for the lady....Geeze, you'd think folks would be smiling waiting for an autograph from Andre!!!!! Go Vols!!!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Those aren't fans, they are UT athletes....Einstein.

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

All the fans got together and put the same clothes on. They just happen to be big, young, athletic fans who look like they might play football.

UTfoosball writes:

I heard we are filling the position by commitee: L. Little and D. Stallworth are teaching a driver's ed course, J. Lewis is organizing a pharmacology group study along with helping players understand "after football" business opportunity development (T. Henry will be a guest speaker for both),T. Henry will also be providing free child rearing instructions.
Before you go nuts about this remember that making fun of the stupid things some former Vols have done is not the same as condoning them.

clvolfan writes:

in response to Couchdummy:

Right on!once again,blame the NCAA for their stupid rules implemented several years ago,to no longer have athletic dorms. As a CDD supporter,I wonder if anyone has ever heard CDD express his faith since coming here. I do remember one of the latter games last year,where the camera showed him heading to the dressing rooms as the players were having prayer on the field-bad example.

GoVols_16 writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

Not so sure I want someone in the program with a bleeding face, orange or otherwise...

Maybe Jamal will be available once he gets out of the clink... #prollynotagoodfit

MikeInTN writes:

Since everyone is speculating...maybe Dave Hart told Lott he better start looking for a new job before the Dooley regime comes crashing down in a few months.

Snapshot writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

Oh yes, I'm sure that is what happened.....clown.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to arkyvol:

i'm looking forward to reading, "dooley out as vol head coach".

i'm thinking it ain't gonna be that long.

Since when did you start thinking, Snarkyvol?
You have made it in life (I assume) thus far by not thinking, so why start now?

GO VOLS. GO DOOLEY. GO NEXT VFL COORDINATOR.

orangepeel writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Sounds like Dooley has the Johnny Majors complex. If anything good happens it is because of Dooley/Majors, if something bad happens it is someone else's fault.

orangeJACKET writes:

son of a..... man i can't wait for basketball.