Camion Patrick now at West, but playing status remains uncertain

Camion Patrick may have found a new home, at least, academically.

His high school athletics future, however, is still uncertain.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound senior wide receiver and University of Tennessee commitment enrolled Monday as a student at Knoxville West High School, school athletic director Steve Killian confirmed by text message Tuesday night.

Patrick's athletic eligibility will remain under the microscope for a bit. Killian added that he doesn't know, at this time, whether or not Patrick will be eligible to play football at West and has not seen Patrick's academic transcript.

Lenoir City football coach Mike Zeller announced last week that Patrick "will not be playing with Lenoir City" this season and chose not to make any further comments. Patrick rang up more than 1,000 all-purpose yards for Lenoir City last season, helping the Panthers reach the Class 5A state quarterfinals. He spent his first two seasons at Clinton High School.

TSSAA bylaws state that a transfer student can't participate in athletics "until his/her eligibility has been verified and approved by the Executive Director. The school is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the information supplied to the Executive Director for this purpose."

Should he be ruled eligible, West stands to benefit greatly. The Rebels reached the Class 5A state semifinals the past two seasons. Adding an offensive threat like Patrick to its pass game would bolster West's chances at another long playoff run.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

keepitreal4vols writes:

This sounds like trouble when the NCAA clearinghouse reviews his file.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

This sounds like trouble when the NCAA clearinghouse reviews his file.

Fishwife

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

KNS please give us every drib and drab of rumor and speculation on the status of this HS player.

That is such high priority since you apparently can't seem to find other topics to fill your space that are related to current UT players as we near UT's opening game.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

This sounds like trouble when the NCAA clearinghouse reviews his file.

It's the TSSAA that will be reviewing his status, not NCAA. We'll just have to see how this one plays out.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Good morn Sir Rich! I believe the poster was implying the nc2A may be trouble a brewing if and when he comes to UT and must pass their onslaught of checks and balances....

dcnka09 writes:

There is no way that he should get to play. His academic transcripts from LC will be horrible. He wouldn't show up for weeks at a time and he failed every class he was in. Come on he failed drivers ed!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I hear ya. But honestly, if he's deemed eligible by the TSSAA to play, I'm not sure why the NCAA would have have a reason to look into anything down the road. I could be wrong, but didn't Tiny Richardson have a similar situation with transferring schools due to academic credits? And the TSSAA didn't allow him to play, yet there were no issues with the NCAA when he came to UT. I could be completely off base, my memory doesn't work like it used to. Point being, if he's not eligible for his Sr season, and he gets his grades up I'm not sure why he couldn't play college ball. While I do think grades played a role in his situation at Lenoir City (could be wrong), I think the TSSAA is looking into the entire transfer process as a whole.

osunut2#223683 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

He's not going to be eligible to play anywhere in Tennessee this year, bottom line. The only reason this is even news-worthy around here is because he's a UT commit.

It's a shame that such a gifted kid is throwing away a real chance to do something great, because of his apparent laziness in the classroom. Camion knew what he had to do in the classroom to maintain his eligibility. He was given an opportunity to "fix" some things in summer school, and in short, he didn't take advantage of the opportunity at all (you've at least got to show up for class). Absolutely pathetic. If someone from West sweet talks the TSSAA into giving him credit(s) that he didn't earn in order to regain his eligibility, there will be a lot of people crying foul (I can think of a few at LC). Barring some good ol' boy politics, prep school is probably the only place we could see him play football this season.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to osunut2#223683:

Again....not being eligible to play this year per TSSAA rules has absolutely NOTHING to do with the NCAA, which was the point in my post you responded to .And being ineligible this year doesn't mean he won't be eligible to play college ball next year. Perhaps he can take advantage of his time off to get his grades up, maybe not. I could really care less. But for anyone to bring up NCAA issues when this is CLEARLY a TSSAA issue is just a bit premature IMO. And if he does have to go to prep-school then so be it. I'm sure The University of Tennessee has never taken a kid from prep school. Nor have they taken a kid who went JUCO due to grades now have they? I hope he gets it straight and plays on the hill. But if the coaches look elsewhere, I'm fine with that. I just don't see the point in labeling the kid a walking NCAA or TSSAA violation when I don't know the whole story.

I could be wrong, but didn't Tiny Richardson transfer over a grade issue. I think the school he transferred to wasn't as tough academically plus they offered a course in which he needed a credit in. But while doing so, he was labeled ineligible by the TSSAA. He went to the new school, did what he had to do, and even after missing part if not all of his SR. Season in HS, he's now our starting LT. But I'm sure the same folks were bashing him....

I suspect the TSSAA won't rule in Camion's favor. But it's not NCAA related in anyway.

PUL4VOLS writes:

One academic deal is he has to graduate from high school before he can be part of Big Orange Country. That may be a huge issue next year. We will see what happens. It is sad if he is not serious about taking care of academics.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

It may not be that he is lazy and not trying to do the right thing in the classroom. Sometimes there are those that just can't comperhend or retain what they have studied. Not saying that is the case here,just a thought.
None
the less, I hope the kid can overcome and make a name for himself at some University. If so, there are millions waiting down the road.

in response to abnerPeabody:

None

You are right that none of us should be too quick make this an issue of moral character, but, honestly, not every kid with athletic ability is true STUDENT-athlete material. If he truly lacks the self-discipline or the ability to do at least HS-level academics, then the University can only go so far in making allowances to enable him to enroll. Are we sure he is worth the trouble?

Olcrow writes:

the kid could be like me and have sexdaily, darnit I mean dyslexia!

feathersax writes:

Three high schools? Big red flag here. Trouble all 'round this recruit.

voldoll73 writes:

in response to feathersax:

Three high schools? Big red flag here. Trouble all 'round this recruit.

Wow! Right on point, and just used twelve words to do it. Best post by far feather sax. Thanks.