Bray, court reach agreement on boating case

Tyler Bray

Photo by Linda Stelter,The Birmingham News

Tyler Bray

LENOIR CITY — Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray reached an agreement in court and avoided a guilty plea this afternoon concerning a Fourth of July boating incident.

Bray appeared briefly before Judge Rex Dale at Loudon County General Sessions Court and agreed to either make three public appearances at schools where he will promote boater safety or make a public service television commercial. He also lost his boat-driving rights for a year, must take a boating training course and pay court costs.

In exchange he did not plead guilty and if he follows the provisions of the agreement will have the record expunged on Feb. 13, 2013. He will not have to make a court appearance then.

It all stems from a July 4 Jet Ski incident on Tellico Lake.

According to Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officer Dewayne Williams, Bray was driving a Jet Ski with a woman passenger when he was observed by Williams "hot dogging" with another Jet Ski. Williams explained the term "hot dogging" as "almost like playing chicken" on Jet Skis.

The other Jet Ski tipped over spilling the unidentified occupants into the water. Bray then sped near the swimmers "spraying them with water," according to Williams, who added "he was almost on top of them."

Jet Skis are supposed to operate at least 100 feet apart, Williams said.

"This all happened directly in front of me," said Williams of the incident. "That's what I couldn't believe."

He said he did not recognize Bray, but said Bray was "polite and nice" when he encountered them.

The charges included a Class A misdemeanor for reckless operation of a personal watercraft, and a Class C misdemeanor for failure to have a boating education certificate.

The Class A misdemeanor carries a possible $2,500 fine and six months in jail. Instead for that Bray will have to do either the three school engagements or the television ad, have his boating privileges suspended for a year and pay court costs. For the Class C misdemeanor he must attend two three-hour boating certification classes and obtain the certificate, and pay court costs.

Bray was earlier linked to a vandalism investigation stemming from incidents at his apartment complex last month. Bray agreed to pay for damages to a vehicle that was pelted by beer bottles and golf balls. A second individual who believed her car was damaged in retaliation for reporting the original vandalism declined to pursue the matter after the Landings Riverfront Apartments said it would cover her costs.

Knoxville police said Bray would not face charges over those incidents. Last week he said he made a "real stupid decision" that represented a "step back" in his goal of being a team leader.

Neither Bray nor his lawyer, Brian Nichols of Loudon, spoke after the hearing today. They did issue a statement that said Bray would cooperate with the decision and also pointing out that no alcohol was involved in the incident.

Nichols and Loudon County district attorney general Russell Johnson outlined terms of the agreement in a whispered conversation with the judge.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Tenn64 writes:

And the hits just keep on coming!

VolCard writes:

Such an idiot

BigVolinCarolina writes:

I fully understand that college kids to foolish things (I was once one, too!), but this is starting to get out-of-hand. I hope and pray that Bray will start looking at the big picture.

Tennesseebob writes:

Why were the other parties involved not identified? Because they're not the QB for TN. If this had been any other student, it would not have made the paper. I say get off the guy's back.

Bigger_Al writes:

Detective Barney Fife nipped it in the bud!

VolnJax5 writes:

This is a joke! All young kids do that on jet ski's. ALERT ALERT KIDS ARE ACTING LIKE KIDS!!!

volpreacher writes:

I think it was a stupid thing to do, but I also think the law is looking for things to get him on. This is a college kid acting stupid. How many of us acted stupid in college? In fact some on this board are still acting stupid.

SpiritOfTheHill writes:

Why is Bray "back" in court?

When was he in court in the first place?

TommyJack writes:

BFD

GeorgiaVolunteer writes:

Bray's immaturity, first the beer bottle throwing incident and now this, may very well cost Dooley his job and our season. You've got to sit him out a game or two, but doing that dooms the coach and the year. We are seeing a pattern of poor choices.

Remember Bray originally committed when Kiffin was at UT.

RoyMullinsfromvolquest writes:

Who cares? He was having a little too much fun, and being stupid. The important thing is that he will not be suspended, and will play against N.C. State. I don't care what Jimmy Hyams wants to happen.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Why doesn't this kid just stay out of trouble? It's not hard to do. Tossing beer bottles off balconies at cars, driving like a maniac on a jet ski, smoking weed, underage drinking, and God only knows what he's doing that he hasn't yet been busted on.

He won't last the season as UT's starter if he doesn't change his ways. You heard it here first, y'all save this post.

tennrich1 writes:

Not taking up for Tyler here but man I'm just glad I dont have the police following me watching every move...this REALLY seems a bit over the top.

jkleno#393970 writes:

Bray is the most OVERHYPED QB in Vol history. Please name 1 above average team he has beaten?????
I would take Casey C. back in a New York minute. Casey will always be one of the most UNDERVALUED QB in Vol history. How did Casey do against FLA?
Bray needs to grow up and beat a decent team.

RoyMullinsfromvolquest writes:

Georgiavolunteer, are you that stupid? Stuff like this has gone on for years. Did you know that we use to have players that would go around and harass gay people? Those guys are probably some of the "good ole boys" that your drool over.

It was a stupid thing to do, but it was not a felony.

ambrown64 writes:

I want him to succeed. I'm not piling on. That said...he needs to freakin' "get it" already. He doesn't owe any of us a damned thing...but you can watch his stock value drop every time a "Ryan Leaf" story on him comes out. You can say"just a kid screwing around" but even when I was wild (and I was), I pulled it together in pivotal moments and when people were counting on me. This guy appears to have no sense of that. To me, the timing of these things isthe larger issue. No respect.

volinlm writes:

hikerdude writes:

As I have said before, strong arm, sh*t for brains.

ivyvol writes:

I guess the only thing left to do is to make him go live with Chaney to try to keep him out of trouble but then he'd probably get cited for over eating.

Caspian writes:

I can't believe Bray actually splashed people with water on the lake. Had I been there, I would have been horrified. Isn't the nanny state wonderful? I'm so glad we've got all these authorities in our lives now to tell us what to do and how to live.

hueypilot writes:

He sprayed them with water??? On a jet ski? Oh no!! Not that!! The inhumanity of it is shocking.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

BFD

Prexackly

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to VolnJax5:

ALERT!!! HE IS NO LONGER A KID, HE IS 20 PLUS...THAT IS NOT A KID, IT IS A COCKY YOUNG ADULT WHO THINKS HE CAN GET BY WITH ANYTHING BECAUSE OF WHO HE IS

BigShow writes:

Somebody take that TWRA's bullet out of his front shirt pocket. Ridiculous! So glad Bray didn't have a water gun. Then it would have been attempted murder. Ridiculous! KNS, find a real story.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I tried sooooo hard not to click the button for this article!!! BUT they pulled me in again. Tooo many officers don't have enough real policing to do. No offense to the many fine officers of the law who do their jobs well. BUT 100 feet??? rediculous. I'm NOT saying they shouldn't be more careful. I wasn't there. But 100 Feet??? LOL Big boats don't even do that.I've seen buddies jump off 20 foot cliffs into 3 feet of water. Now that's dangerous. And stupid. nevertheless get your tape measure out next time you go boating.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Witch Doctor say dial back the "Days of our lives" meter about 30% lol
Bones never lie.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to jkleno#393970:

Bray needs to grow up and beat a decent team.

He beat the hell outta Cincinnati. LOL

oldbasshead writes:

Bray is just a mixed up, immature, college kid who happens to be UT's QB. Anyone in the public spotlight should know that they are held to a higher standard and don't just represent themselves anymore. IMO, if Bray doesn't learn to handle his emotions and behavior, he will jeopardize not only UT's season, but his own career in the NFL.

FWBVol writes:

This incident happened before the beer bottle thing and we are just now hearing about it more than a month after the fact. He did something stupid on a jet ski that a lot of people have done. I wonder how many other people have been cited for something similar in the last month that didn't make the paper.

Nowhere in the story does it mention he was drinking so that's good news.

I hope all this questionable behavior is behind him now.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Hey Ship! You realize that at 20+ the human brain is not in the complete adult stage of development?
He IS a kid and you ARE an _______! (Feel free everyone to fill in your own word for the blank)

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to oldbasshead:

C'mon. The officer here was the mixed up one!

jkleno#393970 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

He beat the hell outta Cincinnati. LOL

LOL
I saw someone post on here that he was the number 2 rated QB in the country. What a joke?
I think USC and ARK would beg to differ

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

He's a 20 year old young man who was playing on a lake on a jet ski on the fourth of July.

You should go get your prostate checked.

chbradshaw writes:

The only thing I'm interested is what the girl looked like...and how much of a dork the TWRA agent is

oldbasshead writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

He beat the hell outta Cincinnati. LOL

He didn't beat Fl, Ga or Ky.

volboy81 writes:

No one would have done or said anything if he didnt play football. Wonder how it was kept a secret for over a month...KNS detectives must be slipping! Bray needs to learn he is held to different standards and act like it. He's not a 17 year old in California anymore.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Griswold:

Uhhh I hit the remove button and I don't apologize. That was just sick.

aspenvol2 writes:

Sprayed somebody with jet ski. Where's the story? This is newsworthy?

ambrown64 writes:

I grew up on the water in and around Knoxville, jumping off bridges and rope swings, skiing, fishing, the whole nine. Even when we were wild idiot kids drinking, etc we would respect a no wake zone, make a wide berth around a fisherman near the shore, etc. It's called "boater respect" and we understood it when we were 16 years old. In case you are wondering whether this is a joke, read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-d... I do not want the UT season hurt by the QB getting in trouble -- but make no mistake, he's an idiot.

oldbasshead writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

C'mon. The officer here was the mixed up one!

Bray is the QB and IMO, should be putting miles between himself and anything that might bring negative publicity to himself or the University of Tenn. That is the responsible thing to do. He is not just any ordinary UT student. I am disappointed in his behavior. Funny, but I still think character is important.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to volboy81:

Hmmm... The officer DID say he didn't know it was Bray...I assume he meant he didn't know it was a UT player? This was way before the beer bottles incident. I really suspect that Bray is not the bum the KNOXVILLE media tries to suggest.
The officer said he was respectful and nice. He obviously was not drunk and was obviously just trying to have some fun... I've encountered wildlife officers myself when fishing a few times and they can be (some) very strict on interpretation of the rules.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to oldbasshead:

This incident was not about character. Read the article.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

DbagCharlie3....shouldn't you spend your empty days worrying about little Willy Muskrat instead of a 20 year old UT quarterback. Or perhaps that is the way your garden gate swings....not that there is anything wrong with that. Are you heading out to Chik-fil-a for lunch? Loser.

Ironcity writes:

Oh my gosh a college kid ripping along on a Jet Ski and splashing his friends and playing chicken. We should give him the electric chair!!! Is it stupid yes. Is it what college males do? All the time. This equates to a reckless driving ticket. Very stupid will be funny to look back at in 20 year since nobody got hurt.

oldbasshead writes:

in response to volboy81:

But he does play football and has a greater responsibility to UT as a result.

Ayres_Hall writes:

GUILTY... of being a 20 year old.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

This incident was not about character. Read the article.

PS. What holds true for an athlete should hold true for anybody....vise versa.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Tennesseebob:

TennesseeBob,

You may have a good point here. Sounds a bit like a witch hunt. Had this been a walk on player we would never hear anything.

Sparky7377 writes:

WOW really ? Ive been riding for years. u can splash who ever u want. did I miss something. did he hit someone or something ? V.F.L

ivyvol writes:

It's getting closer to 8/31 and everybody is getting a little up tight. Let's look at the bright side here. Pee Wee Herman wasn't behind him on the jet ski.