Tennessee announces new premium tailgate area, Tailgate Tennessee

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee Athletics announced Tuesday a new premium tailgate area, Tailgate Tennessee, is set to open on Sept. 8, when the Vols open their home football schedule against Georgia State at Neyland Stadium.

Tailgate Tennessee sits between Hodges Library and Humanities Plaza, just one block from Neyland Stadium. UT Athletics, in cooperation with All Occasions Party Rentals, offers fans two affordable packages that include a combination of tents, tables, chairs, and a 42-inch flat-screen TV equipped with DISH satellite service.

Aramark also offers a variety of catering options for an additional charge that include pulled pork, brisket and hot wings, as well as national brands like Chick-fil-A, Subway and Petros.

PACKAGES:

First Down Package

The First Down Package accommodates 15-25 individuals with a 15-by-15 tent, two 6-foot tables, 10 UT folding chairs, a 120-quart ice chest with unlimited ice, all tailgating accessories (plates, cups, etc.) and access to Tailgate Tennessee Concierge Service at a cost of $550.

Touchdown Package

The Touchdown Package accommodates up to 50 fans with a 20-by-20 tent, four 6-foot tables, 20 UT folding chairs, a 120-quart ice chest with unlimited ice, all tailgating accessories (plates, cups, etc.), access to Tailgate Tennessee Concierge Service and a 42-inch LCD flat-screen TV complete with DISH satellite service for a cost of $795.

For more information on reserving a site at Tailgate Tennessee, visit www.TailgateTennessee.com, or email Drew Rutherford at drew@tailgatetennessee.com.

FearlessFreep writes:

Coming next: Charging you a 'pedestrian' fee to walk through campus to the game.

No one is making people pay for the tailgating service and I'm guessing corporations will be all over this but this does smack as simply another money grab for UTAD (which in actuality, it is.)

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

I think I'll stick to the good old fashioned tailgate off-campus and walk to the games.

hueypilot writes:

Season ticket holder for 20 years. Two years ago, under the new Tennessee Fund I got bumped from lot 23b near the music building and was going to get a choice of Ag Campus, or Visitors Center. So I called and asked what I would need to up my giving to get back to 23b. She put me on hold and came back and told me $78,000. I am not making this up. Or she said I could give $10,000 a year until I got up to that point and I could park there now. That seemed like a lot for a parking spot, so I'm going to UT Visitors Center. Lots of grass down to the river. Not crowded and shuttle bus works good to and from.

Tennessee is not the only one doing this. Auburn had a tailgate system that worked well for years. Now they are allocating spots by $$$$. IMO these guys are in danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg in all sports, pro and college. It's all about the Benjamins and the fan on the street is getting abused to the point where he will or has already stopped coming and sits at home and watches it on the tube.

golfballs03 writes:

Old people who don't want to deal with tailgate assembly and cleanup will be the only ones to do this. Sure to be a lame

StoneJackBaller writes:

Funny how GovolsXtra hasn't reported about our new CB commitment. Every other Vols website has. Instead, this is what you get...No wonder they're so desperate on their pay site.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Note that the prices shown don't include food!

I think I'll continue my current strategy - stop at Hardee's on the way to Knoxville for an egg biscuit and Chick-fil-A after the game for a chicken sandwich and Coke. Go to the student center and watch football on the movie screen while waiting for kickoff of Tennessee game. Total cost: about $10. Oh, and this is just for the Florida, Alabama, Missouri, and maybe Kentucky games. For the others, I'll stay home.

ivyvol writes:

Will a bottle launching practice pad be available too?

SavTnVol writes:

makes me miss Hawkeye's even more

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Note that the prices shown don't include food!

Steve...you are so right. I even get there early and park on the street, for FREE, over near the TVA buildings. I buy tix on the street for ANY game at face or less, and just hang out in the UC untill the Vol Walk. Tailgating is very overrated unless you plan on drinking...and with kids and driving, that ain't in my plans.

wrightskyguy writes:

$550.00 for a 15 X 15 tent, some chairs and a chance to pay exorbitant prices for crappy food, what a deal.

crappieking writes:

in response to wrightskyguy:

Sorry, but no food, just ice. What a ripoff.

IdahoVol writes:

in response to hueypilot:

You are right - they are running off the average guy (but rabid fan) while they chase the big money people. I'm sure if they get $78k for your old parking spot they are ahead from a $ standpoint. However, as more empty seats show up in the stadium on Saturdays, that means they are reducing their future fan base.

If a guy can't afford to take his son/daughter to a game when they are young, they are not likely to have a passion for attending when they get older. And the corporate / big money seats are generally filled with people that don't like to yell. They need to find a way to fill the student section again, and offer reasonably priced tickets - maybe just in the end zones? - so everyone can enjoy the games. If not, I guess tv ratings will go up while attendance drops.

MikeNPS writes:

I think I will just sit in my den, enjoy food I cook outside on the grill and watch the game on tv. No traffic. No crowds. No ripoffs.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

GVX has reported this already, check the recruiting section. And I think it was in the top stories section last night.

SavTnVol writes:

either I didn't see where it said or not, or just overlooked it, but are these prices for just ONE game?

govolsn3 writes:

My dad took me to my first VOL game in 1970 and I was 6 years old and ever since that very first game I have bled deep ORANGE. My 12 year old daughter asks me to take her to games every year and I tell her that I am sorry but time you figure gas and food and tix from East Tennessee you are looking around $300 which is half a pay check for that week. Can't do it and here they want even more money. A brand new 60 inch TV was paid for in what it would take to go to 3 games so it was a no brainer. I might get one game a year in cause I just can't help myself, but the TIX are FREE. Just like the earlier post said UT is killing its future fan base and making the students pay to get in is absolutely crazy after they get hit with a tuition hike almost every year. Atleast there is always the hope in the $1 lottery ticket a week then I might can afford to park and go to some games. GBO

VolGrad writes:

QUOTE: HueyPilot ". IMO these guys are in danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg in all sports, pro and college. It's all about the Benjamins and the fan on the street is getting abused to the point where he will or has already stopped coming and sits at home and watches it on the tube."

I am with you on that. I'll always love my Vols, but this "business" as it has become has the "fund raising committee" walking over dollars to find another dime.

scvols writes:

It is really not a bad deal. You figure you get 7 couples to split $800 and everyone bring a dish. For $115 you have a prime spot with a TV and you only need to bring beer and food.

Vo2Vol writes:

I believe this is the same idea as the "Quad" in Tuscaloosa. Fans reserve the spot and everything is set up. It becomes a huge party.

Ringleader writes:

Yeah, but in Tuscaloosa they do not go to the game or buy tickets for the game. They just watch it on TV.