Depth at linebacker a concern for Vols

Tennessee freshman linebacker Kenny Bynum's season could be in jeopardy after he suffered a torn meniscus.

"He'll be out for a while," Vols coach Derek Dooley said Thursday.

Dooley said Bynum was reviewing his surgery options.

Bynum, from Jacksonville, Fla., signed with Tennessee two weeks after National Signing Day. He had originally committed to Cincinnati.

Sophomore linebacker Christian Harris is out after undergoing ACL surgery about four months ago. He's started some light running on the side.

Dooley said depth at inside linebacker is a concern.

"It's a real concern, especially now that we've already lost two (Harris and Bynum) inside pluggers. That's a real concern on our football team and has been," he said.

In other injury news, receiver Cordarrelle Patterson missed practice with a sprained shoulder.

Dooley said the injury was suffered when Patterson fell while attempting to catch a pass and that it was not serious.

* Freshman kicker George Bullock, who was brought in to challenge Michael Palardy, has done well, Dooley said.

"He did a nice job in field-goal period and did a good job kicking off for the first time in college, which is hard," Dooley said. "We'll see how he progresses. He has a real mature approach about him."

* Sophomore linebacker Curt Maggitt appreciates the praise from defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri.

Sunseri said earlier this week that Maggitt and fellow sophomore A.J. Johnson are among the finest young linebackers he's coached.

"It means a lot for him to say that. But I'm still trying to get better and take in everything and try and be the best I can be," Maggitt said. "It's the same with A.J. We push each other every day to be the best."

* Sunseri spent extra time after practice in a rather animated conversation with linebackers.

"They had a lot of mental errors and gave up some big plays because of it," Dooley said. "This is the time in camp, with the volume of stuff we're throwing at them, when it's mental error, mental error, mental error."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

doh writes:

Palardy should be on a short leash. Hopefully he has learned how to get the ball up in the air faster and not have so many kicks blocked.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

In other news. Tyler Bray woke up this morning, took a shower, put some clothes on and walked to the store to get a cup of coffee. As he entered, an old lady walks out at same time and Bray didn't hold door open for her.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Move Justin King back to LB, problem solved.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

A fairly childish post IMO. Come back when having something intelligent to say.

CoverOrange writes:

LB depth is a worry. When Maggitt went out with injury a couple of games last year, the defense struggled. Not just a lack of depth but a lack of quality depth.

Vols20 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

I actually like the post.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Vols20:

I actually like the post.

That post shows how little Alex knows about Calif kids. Fresno area is a farm area for the most part. The kids there show great respect for the elderly. Bray isn't a Dodo.

papavol writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Thats it... get rid of him

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

That's position #2 we have heard about with depth issues. TE and now LB. Trouble.

123forVOLS writes:

No one can control the injury bug. If the team hangs together younger players will learn to step up. Hey that's what they should do anyway. I hate to see another needed area hit with injuries but it is what it is. We move on until the depth factor is not as big of a deal. Oh that could take another two years not because of Dooley as many assert but because of what was left before he came. Three years do not magically correct this. Let's not be too distressed at this point. I'm still most concerned about who is going to run the ball. GO BIG ORANGE!

vol4good#206163 writes:

I swear, just last week they moved King from Linebacker to FB, because there were too many LB's and Not enough FB's. SO which is it?

VOLinATL writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

No...I actually think he is a bit of a Dodo. Not that this is terrible, but I am not sure he is a "big picture" guy. But how many kids his age are?

SCVFL writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

I agree. One day it is how much improved, maturity, quality depth. Next day sortage at positions. Nextday still shuffling players to see where they fit. With only 21 days left, VOLS need to settle on 22 starters, kickers, and STeams and start playing together. Coach Sal said that for the 3-4 to work, that everyone had to trust what the other was doing. Seems that trust would come from experience with each other.
I understand that VOLS will still have weaknesses, but all teams have areas of concern. You just have to cover up those weak areas as best you can and have some Fresh or Sophs step up.
IMO, with this schedule VOLS need to win minimum of 8 and at least one needs to be quality(UFl, UGa, USC).
I still love me some VOL football.
GO BIG RNG...VFL

jobrando#216494 writes:

The no excuse year is this year....draw from the depth and just win

StoneJackBaller writes:

Why don't we just go after some Penn State LB's?

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Losing Otha Peters and Dalton Santos right before signing day could very well hurt us. I stated numerous times after the O/W game that the 2nd string LBS were the #1 reason Marlon Lane looked so good, but many didnt want to hear it. Not knocking Marlin, but it's true. This makes me wonder why the moved Justin King.

luvmatersoup writes:

Oh boy....here we go. It's not bad enough that I'm already worried about our "O" line, now I'm gonna have trouble pondering our lack at the Line Backer position. I had a hared enough time trying to figure out what a MOU was we paid Coach Martin, now I've got this to worry about. Please Coach Dooley, be easy on our boys....we don't want anyone else going down with a pulled hammy or turf toe. Alright guys....let's go VOLS!!!

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Alex, keep on posting. Some people have no sense of humor and are way to serious. You forgot to mention that he didn't lift the lid in the restroom.

rtrchatt writes:

Miss all those 4/5 star LBs at Bama Sal? Do not complain about DEPTH. You are no longer surrounded by enough LBs for 3 SEC teams.

lomas98 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Agree. Losing one of them we could have lived with, but both hurt pretty bad. They were players of need and could have not only helped with depth but possibly contributed as young players behind Maggitt and Johnson. Could have been groomed to take Lathers spot for next season and LB would not have been a position of worry.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

Why don't we just go after some Penn State LB's?

Take your head out of the sand son. We offered several of their LBs and they had no interest. You're weeks behind.

brokendownoldvol writes:

What's happened to Fugate? Last yr. he was supposed to be the next Greg Amsler at fullback and he didn't get a carry all season now they move him to 3rd string LB?

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Move Justin King back to LB, problem solved.

My thoughts initially when I read this.

lomas98 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

Why don't we just go after some Penn State LB's?

By "going after", do you think that is all we need to do? I think we did reach out to some of their players, but it takes two to tango. There was obviously no interest in leaving and going to TN.

luvmatersoup writes:

Does anyone know if Coach Dooley is open to walk-on Line Backers and more importantly, does anyone know if someone that fits the mold at the University that could walk on? I'm thinking that we had a few walk-ons in different positions last year and I'm hoping we can find a few more. Not too worried about how good the walk on is, just need warm bodies right now for the pulled hammey's and turf toes! Hange in there and here's to the Vols and potential walk ons!!! I wish I was 15 years yournger!

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Wasn't King moved before the two young LB's got hurt? If so, I guess we'll see King switch back soon. If you lose two guys who figured to be in the rotation, what was an area of strength becomes a weakness pretty fast.

laraccoon writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

hold on , ill text Dooley and ask him . As far as anyone fitting the mold of a linebacker i did pass two dudes on Clinch Ave. a few weeks ago and they were kind of tall, didnt catch their names but ill mention them to Dooley when he texts me back .

Razzle writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Double A, someone said they saw him spit on the sidewalk too. Don't tell me he's chawin tobaccey now?

in response to johnlg00:

Re-reading the article, I see that the Harris kid was hurt four months ago, so one might wonder why King was shifted in the first place. I HOPE it's not because they can't find a place where he can play.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I was referring to the two stud LBs we had committed but switched just before signing day. That hurt us.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

WOW! Tyran Mathiew kicked off LSU's squad.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Nothing about Tyrran Mathieu aka Honey Badger being kicked off LSU's team for the infamous failed drug test.

But there's a article about Bray spraying someone with a jet ski...

crappieking writes:

I'm more worried about depth at the head coaching position than the LB's.

TheVolSnake writes:

4 Star Reeves-Maybin 6-1,205 just committed to the Vol’s. He is a gifted athlete that put up big numbers on both sides of the ball as a junior. He has played safety and linebacker on defense and Scout projects him as an outside linebacker on the next level. He has a lot of room to grow at that position, but he has all the skills to be very successful there. He can run, he has good size, he is aggressive, he can move in space, and can turn and run with running backs.

TheVolSnake writes:

Maybin stood out at multiple events this summer, including the Nike Memphis camp and the Music City Classic. At 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, he's somewhere between a safety and linebacker. While playing safety, he's more than comfortable in coverage. He already has a solid body, so bulking up to play linebacker at the next level isn't out of the question. The Vols have a talented defender, regardless of the position he ultimately plays.

Jr. year Stats: Running 170 Att, 1,448 Yards and 31 TD’s: Passing threw for 1,267 Yards and 15 TD’s: on Defense 103 tackles and 3 fumble recoveries. All these Stats where for his JR. year only.

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Yes, but they knew they didn't have those guys when they started fall practice. Even so, they apparently thought they had enough decent bodies at LB that they could afford to shift King to offense. Now that they have lost two of the remaining LBs to injury, maybe it is time to shift King back to LB.

John_10065 writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

Name one season, one team sport, UT or elsewhere where a sports writer didn't come out with an article about depth in a position being a possible problem in the upcoming season.

You might be able to do that but I bet it would take more than a few minutes.

I've listened to the crying about depth in every position on every team for as long as I can remember. The fact is that great teams fill those spots with unlikely heros amd everything works out in the end. Then the so called pundits talk about "we didn't see that coming at the start of the season!"

There's a reason why they play the game. Until then it's all conjecture and a sports writer justifying his job.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

I thought the first Bray "news" was quite funny (and hit good points about the, uh, extensive scrutiny TB gets as well as the over-the-top reactions on this board).

And that's a funny additional riff, GV22.