Vols finalize dates on non-conference hoops schedule

D'Montre Edwards discusses the pressing issues of the Vols' Italian tour

ROME — A little more than three months removed from the opening tip of the 2012-13 season, dates have been finalized for Tennessee basketball's non-conference slate.

The complete schedule, including SEC games, is expected to be released Friday.

Following an exhibition with Victory University on Nov. 5, the Vols will open year two of the Cuonzo Martin era at Thompson-Boling Arena on Nov. 9 against Kennesaw State. The Owls are coming off a 3-28 season and will carry an 18-game losing streak into the game.

The meeting with Kennesaw State will serve as a warm-up for UT's trip south for the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov. 15-18. The three-game tournament opens with a matchup against UNC-Asheville (24-10) followed by a date against either Akron (22-12) or Oklahoma State (15-18). The Vols will also face either N.C. State (24-13), Penn State (12-20), Massachusetts (25-12) or Providence (15-17).

Tennessee hosts Oakland (20-16) on Nov. 26 before a two-game road swing to Georgetown (24-9) on Nov. 30 and Virginia (22-10) on Dec. 5. The trip to Georgetown comes as part of the SEC/Big East Challenge.

Bus breakdown doesn't breakdown Vols game

Non-conference play ends with a five-game homestand that keeps the Vols in Knoxville for most of December.

Wichita State (27-6) comes to Thompson-Boling on Dec. 13, followed by Presbyterian (14-15) and Western Carolina (17-18) on Dec. 21.

Xavier (23-13) arrives in Knoxville on Dec. 29 just before the calendar flips to 2013.

Tennessee's final non-conference tilt will bring rival Memphis (26-9) to town. The Tigers hung a pair of losses on the Vols last season – a 99-97 nail-biter at the Maui Invitational and a 69-51 drubbing at FedEx Forum.

Five teams on the out-of-conference schedule – Xavier, Wichita State, Virginia, Georgetown and UNC-Asheville – all appeared in the 2012 NCAA tournament. N.C. State, ranked No. 6 in the ESPN.com preseason poll, is the lone team in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off to make a tournament appearance.

Hangin' with the Vols on the side of the road in Italy

The Vols went 7-7 outside the SEC last season before finishing the year 19-15 thanks to a 10-6 run in league play.The full 2012-13 non-conference schedule:

Nov. 5 vs. Victory University (exhibition)

Nov. 9 vs. Kennesaw State

Nov. 15 vs. UNC-Asheville (Puerto Rico Tip-Off)

Nov. 16 vs. Akron/Oklahoma State (Puerto Rico Tip-Off)

Nov. 18 vs. TBD (Puerto Rico Tip-Off)

Nov. 26 vs. Oakland

Nov. 30 at Georgetown (SEC/Big East Challenge)

Dec. 5 at Virginia

Dec. 13 vs. Wichita State

Dec. 18 vs. Presbyterian

Dec. 21 vs. Western Carolina

Dec. 29 vs. Xavier

Jan 4 vs. MemphisBrendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOLinATL writes:

First! Wow...thought I would have gotten a bigger rush outta that.

mancell1871 writes:

I believe Memphis also appeared in the NCAA Tournament and I believe they are NOT in the SEC. So that would make 6.

VOLtage writes:

Just saw where Kennesaw State is on the Google maps and its north of Atlanta and the campus's east side borders I-75 southbound. Now you know something you could care a less about.

That schedule likely won't crack the top-ten list in toughness, but there are several opportunities for the Vols to attract favorable national attention if they come through. I'm looking forward to a very exciting season. GO ZO!!! GBO!!!

in response to johnlg00:

Last year's non-conference was a killer. Probably shouldn't have been but we were essentially a new team. This year it has some tough teams (traditionally) but I'm hoping we'll be ready this time 'round.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Golly I think we should get a minimum of 8 wins off that list! I don't know about NCSt, Georgetown, Memphis?? Especially NCSt? #6 even in pre-season sounds scary right now. we're only guessing at how we'll play as a team. Our Italy trip may just help us out. Good move Martin.

MikeInTN writes:

Is that the same Oakland that has kicked our a## the past two years?

in response to MikeInTN:

Is that the same Oakland that has kicked our a## the past two years?

I think that guard went pro or graduated.
regardless it won't happen again.

MikeNPS writes:

I'm sure fans will line up for hours to buy tickets to the Kennesaw State game. Our non-conference basketball schedule includes teams almost as pathetic as our non-conference football schedule. It's time for the Vols to stop playing teams like this.

volnsc writes:

in response to VOLtage:

Kennesaw State is the second or third largest college in Georgia, I believe. Growth has been very rapid over the past 10 years. They laid a whupping on GaTech couple of years ago. Had a very down year last year. Son graduated from there and granddaughter is a rising junior in their nursing school. Very nice campus.

brianarauch#206642 writes:

in response to volnsc:

Nope it is 4th:
University of GA
GA State
Georgia Perimeter College
Kennesaw State

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

Im a student at kennesaw state, but I always pull for the vols, but it'll be a weird game.....should win no problem hopefully, if not, ksu will erupt, and if we don't beat oakland this year, im going to go crazy. How do they keep getting on the schedule???

CoverOrange writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

It's time for team like this to stop playing Div I. That goes for basketball and football. The NCAA should institute some modicum of success requirement and limit the number of schools in the top level.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to RockyToptoNeyland:

Deal was made my Pearl for three game series. This will be the last you'll see of them.

Blue_Duck_Vol writes:

The Vols will the tournament against either N.C. State (24-13), Penn State (12-20), Massachusetts (25-12) or Providence

Really KNS? Really?

OrangePride writes:

Some early non-conference loses to what one of thought outclassed opponents cost us dearly in the NCAA selection process. But we were new, no-Stokes, and still finding our way. This year, I don't expect to have those kinds of issues. We will have far more chemistry and understanding, plus it's year two of the Cuonzo Martin system. So, non-conference foes beware...this is not the Tennessee of last year. I'm excited about the kind of play we'll see this year!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

For the past 7 seasons, Tenn has been in at least the top 10 in America for strength of schedule. This schedule is very similar and will be similarly ranked. What in the world do you people want? This guy here shows his lack of sports IQ making these type of comments.

Now, go to the Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Conn. or any of the traditional powers. Look at their schedule. None of them will be as overall tough as the UT one. All will have several mid to low level schools. ALL!!! All will play at least one school from the Atlantic Sun which is where Kenn. State is from. BTW, ETSU and Belmont are also in the A Sun.

Most of you know nothing about sports. Please ask yourself how stupid your comment is before you submit it.

Enjoy the 500 football season while waiting for the basketball success. LOL!

VolzsFan writes:

I will help you. Here is a link to last years schedules. See any mid majors? See any Atlantic Sun schools? I think you do.

All of theses school's schedules line up with UT. UT's has been viewed as tougher in the rankings used by the NCAA committee most of the past 7 years.

in response to MikeNPS:

All the major conferences, especially the ones that have added members in the last few years, are watering down their non-conference schedules. There will always be games like UK-Louisville, UNC-Mich. St., and Georgetown-MD, but no team in a major conference is going to schedule a killer non-conference slate on a regular basis.

in response to CoverOrange:

Why? I disagree totally. Kennesaw State beat UTC recently and UTC has beaten UT not so long ago. What's your reasoning here? remember when Chaminade beat I forgot but somebody like Duke. It actually happens all the time where "smaller" schools beat "power" schools. I'd love to see the Kennesaw game. I'd line up for it.

in response to VolzsFan:

Enjoy the 500 football season while waiting for the basketball success. LOL!

Agree with all except your low-ball prediction for the football season. The growth of the mega-conferences has pretty much killed quality inter-sectional play as a regular thing in both football and basketball. More's the pity, they have also watered down all the historic rivalries.

in response to CoverOrange:

NOPE. NCAA has too many requirements already. Fire the NCAA and let the conferences regulate certain things and let mostly the schools decide their own schedules.

laraccoon writes:

volzsfan moron is just upset Fulmer aint coming back ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckYBlM...

VOLtage writes:

in response to brianarauch#206642:

Nope it is 4th:
University of GA
GA State
Georgia Perimeter College
Kennesaw State

Thanks for that website-good info on it.

in response to laraccoon:

OK? Roadshow Players? Is this some type of reference to Fulmer? Was it the song? I'm sorry but I don't get why I watched this.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

Does anybody know when the basketball pre season rankings come out?

UT4prez writes:

Dang! NC St in the top 10? I didn't know they were supposed to be that good. They were a solid team last year. Gottfried really has them rolling. Good for him. I hope we get to play them. MikePNS has no clue. Road games at UVA and Georgetown are good tests. Xavier, Memphis, and Wichita are tough almost every year so likely at least 2 of the 3 will be again. We had tougher last year but this is a solid schedule. We have to have no more than 3 losses from this group. One in the tourney, one between the two road games I mention, and one from the 3 home games I mention. That is certainly doable. Forget the round ball for now though. 3 weeks from tomorrow we spank the Wolfpack in football!

laraccoon writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

i went back and looked at some of the posts of the individual i referenced and noticed he or SHE was bitter about the former coach who is no longer employed on the hill. i guess i thought it might help said poster gain closure on whatever caused them to feel so jilted .

in response to laraccoon:

Ok. People often don't get my posts so I didn't mean anything by the question.

in response to AtopTheHill06:

Does anybody know when the basketball pre season rankings come out?

SEC
1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Missouri
4. Alabama
5. Vandy
6. Tennessee
8. LSU
9. Georgia
10. who cares after #9 And I really don't agree with my own predictions... I just tend to belive others will vote with prejudice.

NCAA

1. Kentucky
2. got no clue
3. Don't know
4. your guess is better than mine
5. UCONN halgh!
6. NCST.?
7. Mich. ST.?
8. ahhggh forget about it.

UT goes undefeated for it's first NC Yeah!! Go Vols GBO! Go hmm

This is your fault ATOPthehill06!!!

UT4prez writes:

You're doing ok on the SEC stuff Stokes44. One exception is Vandy will not be better than UT. They lost too much. 4th or 5th seems about right for the Vols.

Katphan29 writes:

2. got no clue
3. Don't know
4. your guess is better than mine
5. UCONN halgh!
6. NCST.?
7. Mich. ST.?
8. ahhggh forget about it.

UT goes undefeated for it's first NC Yeah!! Go Vols GBO! Go hmm

This is your fault ATOPthehill06!!!

Indiana and UL are the two top teams, depending upon the poll. UK comes in around 4-5th, if Noels is ineligible we drop out of the top 15

AtopTheHill06 writes:

2. got no clue
3. Don't know
4. your guess is better than mine
5. UCONN halgh!
6. NCST.?
7. Mich. ST.?
8. ahhggh forget about it.

UT goes undefeated for it's first NC Yeah!! Go Vols GBO! Go hmm

This is your fault ATOPthehill06!!!

I don't know about the SEC poll, but I wouldn't mind if the powers that be under sold the Vols. It worked well for our guys last year.

My little brother hasnt seen JS play in person, so I took him to see a memphis summer league basketball game that Jarnell was playing in. The young man was impressive, he has all-american potential and a good head on his shoulders. Look for Stokes' ball handling and mid-range jumper to be much improved this year.

If you are predicting Tennessee to win the NC. The I'll predict that Stokes makes first team All-American.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Enjoy the 500 football season while waiting for the basketball success. LOL!

Playing a good schedule in past years does not excuse playing any low quality non-conference teams this year. As for who knows nothing about sports, well, look in the mirror.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Honestly I couldn't care less about the polls preseason. I don't think Kentucky will repeat though. I'm still a believer that underclassmen can't usually mature enough in one year...even 2.
I really expect UT to be one of the top 3 SEC teams. Which may mean a top 10 national poll. I'm just hopeful I guess.

in response to Katphan29:

Believe it or not I want to see Noels play. I'd like to see him against our bigs...one year only.

in response to AtopTheHill06:

One could almost turn your last paragraph around and still come out with the same result. If Jarnell has a 1st-team All-America-type year, the Vols just might contend for the championship.

luvmatersoup writes:

I could see Tennessee being a top 25 team this year and am very excited!!! I think Tennessee is going to put the beat down on teams this year, including San Diego (although I don't like the west coast trips). Our record will depend on not only the number of wins and losses but how many points we score as well. If we are going to break the top 25, we MUST score more points than our opponents!!! Go Vols and bring on basketball too!!

in response to EightLetters:

Don't worry; that won't last.

EntourageVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Xavier, Memphis, Georgetown are always great team. Oakland is a great coached team. A chance we will play NC State and they are supposed to be VERY good this year, many are saying best in that state. This schedule is not weak by any means.

westknoxrepub writes:

Well it's a strong schedule, wish I had confidence in the person coaching the team to lead them to victory. It'll be interesting to see when Martin loses his decent players this year how he schedules non-conference for his Atlantic Sun All Stars.

in response to EntourageVol:

No, I agree with you that UT's schedule is no worse than that of most of the "name" schools in the mega-conference era. As I said, the Vols will have a number of good opportunities to distinguish themselves nationally.

in response to westknoxrepub:

Why not just unclench a bit, sit back, and see what happens along with the rest of us? The Vols should be good this year. Let's see how it goes. Next year can take care of itself.

This is just not going to be a high-profile, star-driven program that depends in its essence on a dazzling year or two by a big-name recruit every once in awhile. If that is what you require, you will be disappointed.

Those "Atlantic Sun All Stars" you are so fond of disparaging will be two- and three-year veterans of SEC play by the 2013-4 season. They will be thoroughly indoctrinated in CCM's hard-nosed style. If they add a key recruit or two, they will be tough in 2013-4 as well, and the Martin program will become a model of consistency and competitiveness, a firm foundation--including academic progress and character development--on which to build potential greatness.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I just hate to see people who claim to be Vol fans looking for reasons to put the program down. I see reasons why the program could be on the rise again. But maybe that's just me. To each his own.

in response to EightLetters:

AND no one expects them to be from last years SEC general performances. But they'd be wrong imho.

RememberWhen writes:

better not be on the bubble with that non-con schedule....it'll be NIT again if they are...

RememberWhen writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

wow great analysis!! Good luck in 3rd grade again!!

in response to RememberWhen:

Clearly, they need to win most of their games against the "name" opponents if their schedule is to help them in NCAA selections. However, nobody else's nonconference schedule will be appreciably stronger across the board. The megaconferences have largely killed their members' appetites for meaty nonconference fare.

voloffaith writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Man the acid(TOE-MAY-TOE) queen strikes again..wow wins and losses depend on points scored....I like the "we must score more points than our opponents.." Get off the acidic Soupy Sales stuff...the acid is apparently killing your brain cells....

in response to voloffaith:

I love mater soup. I don't got acid. I love maters and taters any way you cook 'em.

ok ok I love pretty much any food. 'cept liver.

I mostly love oranges. Go Big Oranges!!! Yeah Vols.