Devrin Young wants to show Tennessee coaches where he stands

Bearden grad finding his niche as a sophomore

Tennessee's Devrin Young talks with the media after Friday's practice at Science Hill High School's Steve Spurrier Field.

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Devrin Young feeling faster, more confident

None

JOHNSON CITY — One of the most electrifying prep prospects in recent Tennessee history, who tallied nearly 7,500 all-purpose yards in a decorated career, arrived on campus hoping to prove he belonged.

Today, no one doubts that Devrin Young, the Vols' 5-foot-8 sophomore tailback, belongs in big-time college football.

But Young wants to ascend new hurdles in this month's camp. Young is one of three backs vying for carries in Tennessee's revamped backfield.

Just by competing for the job — and, by all accounts, being in the mix for serious playing time — he has already crossed a major threshold. UT coach Derek Dooley emphasized early in camp that he sees Young not just as a returner being given an opportunity to carry the ball, but as a running back who also happens to be an excellent returner.

Young and the Vols practiced Friday at Science Hill High School, about 15 minutes from their off-campus training camp home base at Milligan College, because Milligan's fields were unusable due to heavy rains. The team will scrimmage today, which likely will have a big impact on the running back battle and several other races.

Young played high school at Bearden in Knoxville, where virtually everyone who saw him play has some sort of awestruck recollection of one of his runs. Bearden played Science Hill when Young was a sophomore. "Didn't you rush for 200 yards that night?" one local reporter asked him.

"I had a buck and some change," Young replied with a smile. "I think I went for two or three touchdowns. It was a good day, for everybody. And I think it was (Science Hill's) Homecoming, too — not trying to rub it in."

Days like that were routine for Young in high school, yet interest from big football schools was scarce.

He was offered a scholarship by Division II Carson-Newman and was being watched by a host of other schools, but SEC teams were being cautious.

"I didn't know if I was

going to get any big offers," Young said. "I was having some small ones come in. But I was waiting and waiting. I was worried, but I just kept playing and kept faith. Then God blessed me with the one big offer."

That offer was Tennessee, and it took less than a full school day for him to say yes.

Still, lacking the recruiting attention — and, of course, the size — of some of his college teammates, he arrived on campus with a desire to prove he belonged.

"That was one of the most important things," Young said. "Not just proving to you guys (the media), but proving to my teammates and coaches — especially to the coaches. They gave me a chance. I just wanted to show that I could play among the best."

This month he's competing against two larger backs, Marlin Lane and Rajion Neal. He's also returning punts and in the mix to return kickoffs, two things he did regularly last year while catching three passes and carrying the ball six times.

The Vols could — and probably will — use all three backs, particularly early in the season. With no established returning running back, plenty of carries are available. Even so, there's significance to today's scrimmage.

"We want to show consistency, good ball control, good pass protection and good play-making ability," Young said. "We each individually want to show coaches where we stand."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TheVolSnake writes:

Wasn't Young slowed last year by a broken Collarbone and didn't play till like the 4th or 5th game?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Every time I read about Young and his size, I can't help but think about a guy who ran all over us in 2009 named Dexter. He and Young are exactly the same size and weight, and had the same 40 time. I think Young also has the same burst and elusive cutting ability. His size makes him difficult for defenders to find behind that big O-line. If they use him right, he could be a huge factor.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We best not think a smallish guy can't produce. Tony Thompson, Travis Stephens,
Stanley Morgan come to mind, and they weren't too shabby. A nice mix of power and breakaway speed alternating in the backfield has possibilities. Even a package with both, running the ball and/or dumping it off to one coming out of the backfield.

Endless possibilities................

VolinCalif writes:

I think you both are right. Young has the talent, desire but not the greatest size. Yes he was hurt early in the season last year, don't remember which wk he returned to the field. I understand he bulked up a little this summer so if it didn't hurt his speed look for him to be very dangerous ever time he touches the ball. Lets hope he has the stamina but doubt he will ever be a every down back .
Vols 35 NCS 14

VolGrad writes:

This guy is bleeding orange. Take note.

Go Vols!!!

123forVOLS writes:

It never gets old, hearing about Young, for me. He has great desire and ability. No, he is not an every down back. Yet with his explosiveness he can make every down he's out there be a potentially Big one. I love that. Days are passing quickly now. Only 20 days til Atlanta and the 2012 Journey begins.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

I still don't know why so many schools passed on this guy. I think anyone who saw him play in HS knew the deal. That being....he was the real deal. Best player I've see in Knoxville in a while. He made a major impact on our return game last year. Not sure I understand him being "in the mix" for KO return. One would think the job is his to lose. But I guess that goes a long way towards showing the talent the team now has. Pig and Patterson are good returners as well. As for him playing RB...he impressed me as much as any back we had in the O/W game. He had a couple of 20+yd runs. Had he been facing the #2 defense like Lane, those runs would have went to the house. He also had a KO return that he would have taken to the house had the refs not prematurely blown the play dead during the O/W game. He's small, but unbelievably strong. The "scouting gurus" missed on Young. In fact, he's one of the biggest misses all time in my opinion by Rivals, ect. Go get'em Devrin.

SevenT writes:

Looks like a local kid desperation offer from Tennessee to garner some fan interest. I wonder if this "Shrimp" will see a single ball handed to him this year.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to SevenT:

Ah come on man. I've met the kids dad and I've met Devrin. These folks have done things the right way, just good folks all the way around. Many don't know this, but Devrin was third on the team in total yards last yr with over 700 total yards. He was second on the team averaging 88 total yards per game. Pretty impressive for a true freshman who missed the first 4 games. KNS loses all credibility by letting chumps like you continue to run your mouth on here. Devrin will destroy your Wildcats this year. You can take that to the bank.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

A+

nocleats writes:

Learning the game mentally, so that he can use his speed and play as fast as he can, will get him on the field. Just catch it when they throw it and hold on to it when you have it!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

The key word here is"use him right"..Chaney's track record and playcalling in the running game isn't exactly what you would call innovating.If you don't have a strong running game than you should be passing 50% of the time on first down..I could see Young definitely doing some damage in a short passing game that gets him out in space much the way ole miss used Dexter... Glad the vols took a chance on him..If he had success as a freshman think how good he will be as a junior!!!

Vol_Believer writes:

This kid has the energy and will to compete that needs to rub off on the entire program . He has a great story . I ,for one, can't wait to see Devrin with the ball in his hand . Whether it be returning the ball or out of the backfield !

GerryOP writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Well said ... Good post.

exlineman writes:

Come on lineman, open up some big holes for Devrin and our other backs. Most of our running backs were good quality backs, just waiting for a breakout.

orangecountyvols writes:

Rich and fellow Vols,

Well said, your comments about Devrin. Can't wait to see him this fall.

Also, you're right about the punk kid, Seven.
Glued to our Vols site like it's life itself.
Very insecure kids who do this...........

GerryOP writes:

in response to SevenT:

C'mon dude! You can hate on Dooley, you can dump on UT football, and you can say things that shows your ignorance ... but stop trashing the kids who rep our University. You have to be a pretty small, petty, miserable person to pick on a kid just because he chose to play football for the University of Tennessee!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Man you must really be a rookie....that may be the weakest attempt I've seen is a while...of course you could be being facetious....Funny...

SevenT writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I will enjoy watching Dyshawn Mobley blow through the line. Lock That Up

SevenT writes:

in response to GerryOP:

GerryO

You and I both know that was sarcasm. It is always exciting when a local kid gets a shot at the big time and is making the doubters pay for overlooking him.

Remember Tennessee snubbed Randall Cobb a few years ago and he ended up at Kentucky and now he is with the Green Bay Packers.

exlineman writes:

Seven t and bodeane vol are one and the same, also known as peabody jim. He is an 80 yr. old man with lots of hate stored in his system.

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Atta boy Rich...you must've got a good nap in

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to exlineman:

exlineman,

An 80 year old????????? As I've said many times, he acts like a little kid, so I'm sticking with that.........a kid. A punk kid obsessed with anything Tennessee. Sad......

Go Devrin, looking for great things from you.

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

GerryO

Clay Travis, 104.5 the zone, put up $1,000. that the bumbling colonels will win less than 4.5 games this year. Reckon you really suck this bad?

Vol43 writes:

Sorry, I guess it's wildcats. 'Wildcats', that's funny. Wildcats. You guys are wild, huh?

Vol43 writes:

Hey, SevenT, show me the wins, please. (chuckle, chuckle)

Sept. 1 - at Louisville

vols start 1-2

Vol43 writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

NCST 31
ut 28

vols start 1-2

Hey jeffy, how sure are you on that score?

Razzle writes:

in response to GeauxTeamScribbler:

Sounds to me like you Alamammie fans are getting a little worried.

HtownVol writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

I am glad to see that others see that Chaney doesnt have the best track record with his play calling. To be honest I cant stand Chaney. I think the only reason he sticks around is because of a guy named Drew Brees. Maybe Chaneys success is credit mostly to him getting lucky having Drew Brees and Kyle Orton at Purdue. I get so frustrated at the play calling from Chaney. When he calls run plays it is so predictable where they are running it. I know the O-Line couldnt create a hole at all last season but it looked like every run play was the same.

Remember the days when UT was so dangerous with the quick hitches and WR screens, I would love to see that this season. Get the ball to Young and Lane in space also, those two are as quick as most and the will break a few big plays this season.

The UT offense has SO much potential. Jim Chaney, there is zero excuse that UT will not rank in the top 5 in the SEC in Offense this season (I think they can lead the SEC).

GO VOLS

givehim6 writes:

Young is UT lighting back, now UT needs the thunder back to come out.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

What SevenTeen really said,

Blah blah blah look at me blah blah blah hey over here blah blah blah i need attention blah blah blah somebody look at me blah blah blah

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

No, it's mildcats..Also, how can tucky win a .5 or half a game? I guess if they hold the UT game under the 21 point betting line in the common-trash state of tucky that counts as half a win..Just a thought and GBO!!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

GerryO

Its one thing to be a troll. Its one thing to be a liar. But when you are a ******* lying troll that takes the cake. I hope someone stomps a Big Orange mud puddle in your *** very very soon.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

What SevenTeen really said,

He's definitely bobbing for bananas again.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Vol43:

Hey, SevenT, show me the wins, please. (chuckle, chuckle)

Sept. 1 - at Louisville
Sept. 8 - Kent State
Sept. 15 - Western Kentucky
Sept. 22 - at Florida
Sept. 29 - South Carolina
Oct. 6 - Mississippi State
Oct. 13 - at Arkansas
Oct. 20 - Georgia
Oct. 27 - at Missouri
Nov. 3 - Vanderbilt
Nov. 17 - Samford
Nov. 24 - at Tennessee

43...Let me help SevenTeeny out.

Louisville = Loss
Kent State = Win
W. Tucky = Win
Florida = Loss
Carolina = Loss
MS State = Loss
Arkansas = Loss
Georgia = Loss
Missouri = Loss
Candy = Loss
Samford = Win
Tennessee = Loss

There you have it. A glorious 3-9 season for the mighty Mildcats. LMBOAO!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm taller than this kid and I'm too short for UT. But I'm a big believer in heart and know that sometimes us shorter kids are tougher than the bigs...some ways anyhow. Speed will help and hopefully he doesn't get hurt again. Out run 'em DY! No fear Devrin! The holes are always there for us small guys. Quickness! Yeh GBO!

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good question BB. I thought the same thing. Hey, it's Clay's bet, who knows. I think it's a Vegas thing. And, almost forgot, Go Big Orange. Planning on being there 8/31!

Vol43 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

43...Let me help SevenTeeny out.

Louisville = Loss
Kent State = Win
W. Tucky = Win
Florida = Loss
Carolina = Loss
MS State = Loss
Arkansas = Loss
Georgia = Loss
Missouri = Loss
Candy = Loss
Samford = Win
Tennessee = Loss

There you have it. A glorious 3-9 season for the mighty Mildcats. LMBOAO!!!

So, there you have it folks! Yes, the mighty mildcats strike again, yessiree. Of course SevenT is stuck in 2011. Bless his heart.

givehim6 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Think you are spot on, so many yell "dooleave" and things like this, when UT was loosing all there coaches Chaney was the guy I was hopeing would go next. It is like he has 10 to 15 plays in his playbook and he just randomly picks one.

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS

I would have to agree that, IMHO, Chaney's job is as much on the line as Dooley's, if the two could be considered separately. The Vols would seem to have some intriguing options on offense, even besides the potentially best set of receivers in the conference.

I won't say I'm a total fan of wide-open, razzle-dazzle offense, but it really ISN'T cheating to introduce a bit of deception every now and then. Last year, I kept hoping that the Vols were actually setting up something by repeatedly running the ball into the pile-ups at the line of scrimmage, but it rarely seemed to work out that way. Everybody has seen Da'Rick on the end-around, so find some OTHER play that takes advantage of the defense overplaying it, as the simplest possible example. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

SevenT writes:

in response to Vol43:

Hey, SevenT, show me the wins, please. (chuckle, chuckle)

Sept. 1 - at Louisville

Arkansas (Toss Up)
Georgia (Loss)
Missouri (Toss Up)
Vanderbilt (Win)
Samford (Win)
Tennessee (Toss Up)

Could be 5-7 or Could be 9-3.

creekroad writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

43...Let me help SevenTeeny out.

Louisville = Loss
Kent State = Win
W. Tucky = Win
Florida = Loss
Carolina = Loss
MS State = Loss
Arkansas = Loss
Georgia = Loss
Missouri = Loss
Candy = Loss
Samford = Win
Tennessee = Loss

There you have it. A glorious 3-9 season for the mighty Mildcats. LMBOAO!!!

No way they beat Western....2 and 10

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to SevenT:

I will enjoy watching Dyshawn Mobley blow through the line. Lock That Up

Tennessee missed on Mobley, no argument there.

snoopbob87 writes:

MTSU And GA State! Watch Out!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

I;m afraid I'm not making the trip to jojaa and after I crunched the numbers the tickets and hotel rates were very affordable..Already have our trips to sporting events accounted for this year and just couldn't budget an extra game. That extra coin will come in handy when UT goes bowling in Florida or Texas this New Years 2013..GBO!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to creekroad:

No way they beat Western....2 and 10

Don't count out Samford either..

SevenT writes:

So Carolina (Loss)
Troy (Win)
Missouri (Toss Up)
Vanderbilt (Win)
Kentucky (Toss Up)

Could be 4-8, Could be 8-4

You can go ahead and pencil that last game as a win for UT..Only a complete homer/moron would believe tucky will even have a chance for an upset in that game. It's a shame too, because that joke of a coach (Joker) will surely be terminated and that stinks, because they may actually hire a decent coach to replace him..Just remember Larry Porter's name, he's the next big name in CFB..Trust me on this..Larry Porter..

UT4prez writes:

So Carolina (Loss)
Troy (Win)
Missouri (Toss Up)
Vanderbilt (Win)
Kentucky (Toss Up)

Could be 4-8, Could be 8-4

You are hilarious! KY with the possibility of 9-3 and UT only 8-4 possible? That's good stuff there. You should go on tour. IF we're generous, very generous, and give UK wins over Louisville, Miss St, and Vandy then you get 6-6. Calling games against Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mizzou toss ups is just dreaming. 4 or 5 wins looks reasonable. UT would have to have a very bad year to finish 6-6. I won't say it isn't possible but it won't happen.