Upset not on Vols' manifesto against BC Atletas

Defense key for Vols, 82-68

D'Montre Edwards discusses the pressing issues of the Vols' Italian tour

MONSUMMANO TERME, Italy — After marching to a 52-point victory in the opening game of its 2012 Italian tour earlier this week, the Tennessee men's basketball team convened in the hotel lobby.

Word was out: over in Venice, UT's SEC brethren from Georgia lost to BC Atletas from Lithuania. When American college teams take summer international tours, losing is rarely on the trip manifesto.

The next bit of news to spread was that Atletas was the Vols' next opponent.

Having seen his team stomp past the overmatched Italians, Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin subtly said, "I hope we get tested."

He got his wish.

Atletas was not intimidated Friday. The Vols' hard-fought, 3-point halftime lead proved as much.

Tennessee's defense, though, wouldn't allow for an upset in UT's second of four games overseas. The Vols captured an 82-68 victory by holding the Lithuanians to nine second-half field goals, eight of which came from a sin

gle player, guard Sarunas Vingelis.

"It was a good test against a good team," Martin said. "They won the second division in Lithuania last year and they're a team that executes their offense. They have great chemistry and continuity. I think we did a good job responding."

Jarnell Stokes responded loudest with 21 points. Trae Golden chipped in 14 and Quinton Chievous added 11. Yemi Makanjuola came off the bench to rip down 13 rebounds and score five points.

UT's Kenny Hall did not play. Martin said, "He just needs to play harder," when asked for a reason. Jeronne Maymon (knee), Derek Reese (shoulder) and Dwight Miller(knee) also sat out and appear unlikely to play at any point during the tour.

Golden said Friday that Atletas' 16 made 3-pointers against Georgia "caught our attention." The Vols answered by holding the Lithuanians to seven 3s. Atletas relied on a parade of free throws to stay in the game, shooting 23-of-37 from the line.

UT, meanwhile, went 8-for-14.

"It's hard, given the way we play, when a ref is calling every bump," Martin said. "You make adjustments, you don't make excuses."

The Vols fell into an early 8-1 hole as Martin's starting lineup of Stokes with Armani Moore, Josh Richardson, Quinton Chievous and D'Montre Edwards struggled to finds its way. Golden, Skylar McBee and Jordan McRae soon entered to restore order.

The Vols led 19-10 by the end of the first quarter.

"They're still getting comfortable with it," said McBee, who hit a pair of 3-pointers Friday. "They're still not really sure where to go and what they've got to do, but for it being the summer, I think they look good."

Later, the afternoon sun sliced through the windows of a nondescript gym called Palo Meridien tucked away in Tuscany. Rays shot across the floor. The temperature rose as the sun dove and the glare made certain parts of the floor blinding.

That's the give and take of life abroad.

Golden called balancing travel, tourism and performing on the court "a mental test."

"We're traveling, doing tours every day, trying to sightsee as much as possible and trying to get the Italian experience," McBee added. "At the same time, when it's time to play ball, it's time to play ball."

The Vols next play in San Marino on Sunday at 6 p.m. local time (noon EDT).

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tovolny writes:

This is a wonderful learning experience that is at the top of the chart. I hope the guys are thinking "education" first and "fun" second. What a great deal it is when the two are combined. I commend whoever set this up and I hope they will be rightfully recognized.

VOLtage writes:

UT's day began with the morning sun showering Michelangelo's David through the glass doom ceiling of Florence's Galleria dell' Academia. The only work that comes to mind — perfection. Great descriptive writing Brendan. Good job.

tovolny writes:

in response to VOLtage:

Somehow I am thinking "dome" and "word." But, I make mistakes all the time using those small keypads on the smart-phone.

GerryOP writes:

I know that these teams are not necessarily D! quality teams, but the guys seem to consider each and every game as simply "a game to win." It continues to amaze me what that Cuonzo-coach-dude-guy has done in a year. Took whatever was left from the Pearl teams, added a few recruits, and turned them into a University of Tennessee basketball team that we can be proud of. Most importantly, Martin makes it clear that UT basketball is about the players, not about him. Refreshing!

Go 'Zo and go Vols!

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

I couldn't help but get a laugh out of Martin pushing Kenny Halls buttons and making the game more competitive at the same time.

VOLtage writes:

in response to tovolny:

I knew what he meant and didn't feel like correcting him. I rather be there and typing the wrong words than here and typing the right words.

FeelVol writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

I like the fact that Coach Martin has control over his team,"If you don't play hard you sit".Very refreshing indeed.Go Vols and enjoy the Italian experience.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to FeelVol:

One of several reasons I like this coach.

This trip is an excellent opportunity.

SouthPaVol writes:

in response to VOLtage:

when I saw the statue of David three years ago, it was also early morning. The doors had just opened and hardly anyone was around. I've seen many statues, but none like this one. perfection is right word for it.

in response to tovolny:

Brendan clearly seems to be working at it. I think one word he was searching for was "manifest", not "manifesto". The former is a bill of lading; the latter is an official proclamation. I would have used "agenda" or "itinerary" there anyway, but, as I said, Quinn is giving it a pretty good shot so far.

Not terribly surprising that Maymon is sitting out. I wish I knew if he was all the way back or everybody is just being cautious, but it would be nice if he was out there romping and stomping.

Hate that Reese and Miller are missing reps and minutes. Reese needs to show whether or not the Vols can expect anything out of him this year. Miller needs to be making a case for minutes in the post, especially with Maymon out and Hall temporarily back in the doghouse. Seems like most of the rest of the squad is benefiting from the trip.

Sorry for hanging all that on your innocuous post. I like all your stuff.

in response to VOLtage:

Ain't that the truth! I would jump at the chance to send smoke signals, semaphore, or telegrams from Italy with the Vols.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Hall may be up to his old ways like last yr. I sure hope Miller lives up to his potential. Too bad he can't get the experience needed there in Italy. We're gonna need him this fall, with Hall being the way he is. Wonder how Yemi is doing?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Yeh it's a little scary that Hall had to sit. But I think Miller has some potential and who knows he may bring it his senior year. I hope Hall doesn't sit out long though. He does have ability. He should give it all he's got if he wants even a glimpse of the NBA.lol hmmm or a glimpse of the starting line-up.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

PS Let's not forget Makenjoula! He can't help but improve if he gets some of those minutes.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Ok. The roster has Makanjuola! not MakEnjuola?

They did that last year and then it changed somewhere. Which is it? I'm guessing with the roster that it's MakAnjuola. Welp. I hope it matters later.lol

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Good question! Yemi will really have to battle for minutes this year. If he moves up a spot or two in the rotation, I hope it is because he has improved a lot and not because the guys ahead of him failed. He needs to get used to the idea of possibly being the MAIN post player in the 2013-4 season, so he should be trying on that role for size right now while some of the other bigs are out.

Hunter writes:

It's the beginning of August and there are almost 20 posts on a UT basketball article. As a guy who grew up watching Dyron Nix, Doug Roth, Lang Wiseman, and Steve "The Hammer" Hamer (just to name a few) in Thompson Boling Arena, this is a good thing! Go Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Hunter:

Good to see a new handle( at least I don't know yours). I remember those days and loved UT as much as UTC even then right out of UTC. However over the years I just have watched more UT games.

20 posts is not that unusual. If it's an argument the # goes way up(lol)! If the visiting fans from around the SEC show up it goes even higher(not necessarily a good thing though).

Go UT beat Kentucky!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to EightLetters:

We may get u at UT. Wouldn't be the first time.At your place is not completely unreal.
Yeh... UT 78 UK 71 @ UT

UK 82 UT 93 @ UK

The numbers above are completely fictitious. so far.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

"I have a dream..." It could happen or I wouldn't bother with hope.