Vols top tough Lithuanians in game two of Italian tour

MONSUMMANO TERME, Italy – After marching to a 52-point win in the opening game of Tennessee's Italian tour earlier this week, Cuonzo Martin asked for one thing afterward."I hope we get tested," he said Wednesday night in Rome.

The Vols got exactly that Friday.

Playing BC Atletas from Lithuania, Tennessee captured an 82-68 victory after leading by only three points at halftime. The same group of Lithuanians battling UT knocked off the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens on Wednesday.

After making 16 threes to top UGA, Atletas was held to seven by the Vols and relied on a parade of free throws to stay in the game. The Vols' stingy defense rarely surrendered an open jumper.

"It was a good test against a good team," UT coach Cuonzo Martin said. "They won the second division in Lithuania last year and they're a team that executes their offense. They have great chemistry and continuity. I think we did a good job responding."

Jarnell Stokes led Tennessee with 21 points, while Trae Golden chipped in 14 and Quinton Chievous added 11.

UT's Kenny Hall did not play. Martin said, "He just needs to play harder," when asked for a reason.

The Vols outscored Atletas 25-18 in the third quarter and carried a 62-52 lead into fourth. In the second half, Atletas guard Sarunas Vingelis made eight field goals. The rest of the team combined for one converted field goal.

Tennessee's next game on its trip abroad comes Sunday in San Marino.

Check back to GoVolExtra later for a full story on tonight's Tennessee win.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee basketball.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

That's impressive against decent competition in Lithuania..GBO!!

AtopTheHill06 writes:

Good win against a veteran club. I wonder if the Lithuanian announcers kept referring to Jarnell's size 20 shoes. Lol

I'll take it. Good job clamping down on the second-half defense. Continue the march, guys. Get it in gear, Kenny! I thought you were past all that! Glad to see Stokes and Golden doing well. How is Maymon these days?

GreerVol22 writes:

question...Wouldn't their best players be in London right now? So how good a win is this? I know...I know ...its only exibition.

ball1523 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

i doubt theyd be playing against the top luthuanians any way. usually foreign trips for colleges dont work out like that. where i played we took a trip and only played against teams from the second tier leagues.

underthehill writes:

Hall (at his best), Maymon, and Stokes should give UT a front line among the best in the SEC..come on Kenny..

in response to GreerVol22:

In the article, CCM is quoted as saying they won the second division championship in Lithuania last year. These guys would not be nearly the caliber of the Lithuanian national team, which fought Team USA to a near-standstill in the Olympics. They would likely be a low- to mid-major level team in the US. Not a major threat, but good enough to be worth playing.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

We did well...-Hall, -Maymon. Heck with those two full speed we might have given the upper division a run or two.
I love us playing this early. I DO pray and hope for no injuries.
I haven't looked at UGA for this year I must confess. Anything there? I'm a little bit surprised to hear they lost.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I love us playing this early. I DO pray and hope for no injuries.

I'm not surprised about UGA, they stink..And you're correct this early play will only benefit UT with valuable international experience and an advantage of team chemistry before midnight madness tips off..GBO!!

HtownVol writes:

Man if Stokes developes a post game and our Guards learn to feed the big dogs in Maymon and Stokes then this team is going to be very good.
My only fear is that when Stokes leaves what happens? Is Cuonzo ever going to sign another player that is capable of playing for most of the big schools?

underthehill writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Enjoy the present ..this team has the potential to be special..I thought the same about Pearl's last team and it didn't happen..I sure hope I'm right this time...

richvol writes:

Kenny,Kenny,Kenny...come on son get your arse in gear.

laraccoon writes:

in response to underthehill:

I think alot of the recruiting will depend on the win/loss records and how far coach can get them in the tourney , i think coach will appeal to kids and their parents if he wins enough , plus in a year or two Stokes will be in the NBA and that will help Martin on the recruiting trail too . judging from the videos ive seen on here from their trip these kids seem tight , man that has got to pay off one way or another . we lost several games early on last season that we should have won because of newness , i got to think that aint gonna happen this year .

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Coach Zo has Tennessee high on the list of a few really good recruits from the state of Tennessee for next year. Nicholls from Briarcrest in Memphis and Hubbs. I'm not sure where Hubbs plays high school ball, maybe somebody can help meet out with that.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Sure hope Miller has improved, looks like we'll use him instead of Hall. Why can't Hall see his time is getting short. Some people are just totally lazy.

Hubbs is from Dyer County, West Tn. Plays at either Dyer County or Newbern.