Tennessee scrimmage gives backup QB Justin Worley chance to run offense

QB throws for 229 in scrimmage

Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley throws the ball during practice at Haslam Field at the University of Tennessee Friday, Aug. 3, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley throws the ball during practice at Haslam Field at the University of Tennessee Friday, Aug. 3, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee's final day of practice at Milligan College

Tennessee's practice at Neyland Stadium Friday night was dubbed a "situational scrimmage," as coaches wanted players to encounter just about any situation that might occur in a real game.

They didn't leave out the worst-case scenario: An injury to starting quarterback Tyler Bray.

Bray went down Friday with a "sprained ankle," forcing backup Justin Worley onto the field for most of the scrimmage. Don't worry — Bray and his ankle are fine. But the fake "injury" gave coach Derek Dooley an opportunity to see how Worley and the offense responded to sudden adversity. Bray departed, Worley entered and the offense didn't miss a beat.

"Everybody reacted pretty well," Worley said.

Except perhaps Bray. "Tyler was like, 'Man, don't jinx me,' " according to Worley.

Worley led what Dooley called an "explosive" offense with a 229-yard passing performance. The sophomore from Rock Hill, S.C., who struggled at times last year when he was forced off the bench to replace an injured Bray, said he felt comfortable and confident in a scrimmage designed to test the quarterbacks mentally.

"You have to be on top of everything," Worley said. "We were going from two-minute to four-minute to overtime to just running our base offense. Staying sharp and being able to lead in those different situations is really key to the position me and Tyler play."

Dooley said coaches' confidence in Bray and a desire to give more reps to Worley led to Saturday's "injury."

"I thought at some point (Worley) needed to get in there with the (first team), so those guys could feel his command a little bit," Dooley said. "I think we've got two pretty good quarterbacks heading into the season. Justin needed a heavy day. He got it."

Dooley said there were some discouraging miscues on defense, but a review of film would give him more insight.

"I think we need to watch the film and see, what are the reasons?" he said. "We've got to do a better job of communication in the back end. We had some breakdowns that led to big plays."

Linebacker A.J. Johnson led the defense with 12 tackles and safety Byron Moore had two interceptions.

"(Johnson) is a real steady hand on the inside," Dooley said.

Kicker Michael Palardy hit both field goals he attempted and is now 6-for-6 in two scrimmages. Dooley said he didn't want to ruin Palardy's streak.

"I'm not going to say anything because I know how this goes," he said.

The running game didn't put up huge numbers, but junior Rajion Neal said the focus was getting tough yards against a stacked defense.

"It was just real physical today, and I think that's what the coaches really wanted to see," Neal said. "They were focusing on who could be that every-down back who could be physical between the tackles."

Dooley said the Vols will tone down the intensity as school begins next week.

After off days on Tuesday and Wednesday, the team will begin installing the game plan for North Carolina State on Thursday.

"You want to go in that first game healthy and fresh so we have a lot of recovery coming up," he said.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat

Scrimmage Statistics

Passing

Worley 15-28-229 2 TD, 2 INT; Bray 5-12-80 1 TD; Peterman 5-8-81

Rushing

Neal 8-47, 25 Long; Young 5-21 TD, 17 Long; Summerhill 3-20, 12 Long; Lane 7-19 TD, 16 Long; Hill 2-11, 6 Long; J. King 1-3; Watson 4- minus 2, 2 Long

Receiving

Bowles 6-91, 25 Long; Young 1-72 TD, 72 Long; Patterson 2-42, 32 Long; Ellis 3-39, 32 Long; Carter 3-34, 21 Long; D. Rogers 1-31 TD, 31 Long; Watson 2-30 TD, 16 Long, Page 1-13; Downs 2-12, 7 Long; Drummer 1-10; Hunter 1-6; Bartholomew 1-0

Punting

Darr 4-159-39.8, 48 Long; Palardy 3-123-41.3, 47 Long

Field Goals

Palardy 33 Good, 41 Good; Bullock 28 WR

Tackles

Johnson 3-9-12, Waggner 3-3-6, Coleman 2-3-5, G. King 2-3-5, McCullers 0-4-4, Maggitt 2-1-3, Crump 0-3-3, Toney 2-0-2, Arnold 1-1-2, Dallas 1-1-2, Gray 1-1-2, Miller 1-1-2, Randolph 1-1-2, Sentimore 1-1-2, J. Smith 1-1-2, Bohannon 0-2-2, Brewer 0-2-2, Fowlkes 0-2-2, Gordon 0-2-2, Lewis 0-2-2, O'Brien 0-2-2, Propst 0-2-2, Williams 0-2-2, Bonner 0-1-1, Clark 0-1-1, Fugate 0-1-1, Oliver 1-0-1, Orta 1-0-1, Sapp 0-1-1, Saulsberry 0-1-1, Taylor 0-1-1, Teague 0-1-1, Wilks 0-1-1

Tackles for Loss

Sentimore 1.5-6, Maggitt 1.5-4, Smith 1-5, Miller 1-1

Sacks

Smith 1-5, Maggitt 1-1

Interceptions

Moore 2-18

Forced Fumbles

Johnson 1

Pass Break Ups

Smith 1, Gordon 1, Waggner 1, Moore 1, Oliver 1

Quarterback Hurries

Smith 2, Maggitt 1, Walls 1, Bohannon 1, Miller 1

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UT4prez writes:

Sweet bojangles! 2 weeks!

PUL4VOLS writes:

We may be needing Worley before the season is over. This is not a bad thing in that regard. As for the defense, they will come along. Only 14 more days and counting. GO BIG ORANGE!

samjrr writes:

Encouraging!

2Geezy writes:

yeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!!!

UT4prez writes:

Nah, I like sassafras better.

Sweet sassafras! 2 weeks!

VolGrad writes:

Be nice to have no drop off if the back-up QB is needed. And it is good to know that if Bray does falter, for whatever reason, Worley will be able to step it up.

Go Vols!!!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to UT4prez:

Sweet bojangles! 2 weeks!

The next 2 weeks will move slower than molasses in January! Sure hope lots of you will be making the trip to the Jo'Dome to watch the Vols wax the Wolfpups! 2012...The Year the Vols Turn It Around!!

Vols 31
Wolfs 17

Trolls 0

jkleno#393970 writes:

Worley was thrown to the Wolves last year. Bray just plays against inferior teams and folds against any difficult competition. I like Worley and he held his own against the Hogs on the road. I want to see 1 quality win by the over-hyped Bray.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Go Vols!!!

And that's exactly what CDD wanted to implement since day one. The only problem was the injury factor and lack of depth. It also appears that Peterman will slide right in the 2nd string position if he is needed..Look out, things are finally taking shape on the hill..GBO!!

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

It's (almost!!!!!) football time in Tennessee!

Weatherman writes:

Palardy's 6 for 6...holy smokes! We just might win a few this year. FBO!

Weatherman writes:

GBO*

Stupid auto correct:/

jobrando#216494 writes:

Worely will be the man before the end of the Gator game

Rumblefish writes:

This overconfidence from the coaches and players is unsettling

thevoice writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

This overconfidence from the coaches and players is unsettling

Yeah, I'm a little concerned too. I don't recall this being Dooley's style. Go Palardy and go Vols.

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

This overconfidence from the coaches and players is unsettling

I agree with you man. I hope we are concerned about nothing !

UT4prez writes:

Can't call it overconfidence until we see how good the team plays. Let's stick with confidence for now and stay positive. I like that 31-17 prediction I see. That sounds about right to me. We want confident players and coaches. The opposite would worry me.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to jkleno#393970:

Stupid post.

Most negative Nellies say Bray hasn't ever faced any tough defenses. They're wrong too. Are you forgetting Bray being thrown into the South Carolina game in 2010? His first real action, and he lit it up after that initial pick-6 he threw on his first pass.

He lit up a top 25 team (Cincy) last season too. He also had 251 yards and 55% against Georgia before breaking his thumb, and 54% and 288 yards and 3 TDs against Florida, despite losing his top target in the first series of the game.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

I agree with you man. I hope we are concerned about nothing !

CDD just knows what he has this year. I like that he doesn't have to poor mouth this year. This team has a chance to be really good if things fall into place.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Combined, the three QBs threw for 25-48-309-3TD-2INT. 52%, 15.6 ypc, 8.1 ypa.

All three of them were right around the same numbers. Peterman's numbers were the best, but limited number of attempts, so not necessarily meaningful. Worley's completion% was a bit higher than Bray's, but Bray's ypc was higher, and Worley had the 2 INTs.

I'm pretty confident that the only thing really separating these three guys is experience. Pretty exciting to see that.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Stupid post.

I'm sure Bray has some ability....otherwise, you or I would be the QB. But, you tout him lighting up Cincy.....when has ANY team in the Big East been known for defense? I can remember any in the past 6+ years.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

True, but they were a top-25 team, and they would not have been at the bottom of the SEC in total defense either. Their passing defense was far from great, but they averaged giving up 261 yards/game through the air. Bray hung 405 on them with 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and a rushing TD. Cincy only gave up 13 passing TDs total in their other 12 games. They also were top-20 in the country in interceptions, but got none against Bray. They only gave up that many yards in one other game, but nobody even came close to Bray's TD:INT numbers and completion percentage against them. Their defense only gave up 20 points/game too, but the Vols put up 45, and Bray accounted for 35 of those.

It may say more about the comparison between the other teams Cincy played and the Bray/Hunter/Rogers weapon system than it does about Cincy, but what else is there to go on?

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

This overconfidence from the coaches and players is unsettling

SevenT writes:

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

It finally hit me....the "T" in your name stands for TOOL.

Get lost you miserable slime-ball troll.

klrigsby#1377153 writes:

I can't wait to get this season started so all the wildcat fans here in Lexington will see the men in Orange are for real and stop all this talk of two in a roll. I HATE LIVING HERE.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

You know nothing of TB's intestinal fortitude, he was playing with pain when he came back last season you JW. To dismiss a young man without even personally knowing them is as shallow and ignorant as one can be.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

"shallow and ignorant"

BB....You just described SevenTeen's entire family (gene pool). He is a nutjob.

GO VOLS. GO DOOLEY.

jkleno#393970 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Stupid post.

Listen stupid- I forgot how high Cincy is on the college football landscape. I said list the QUALITY win loser. Loss versus UGA and FLA. Weak argument lil man.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

"shallow and ignorant"

BB....You just described SevenTeen's entire family (gene pool). He is a nutjob.

GO VOLS. GO DOOLEY.

12 days and a wake up call from "FB in Tennessee"!!

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

You're funny. Now here's a kentucky fan whose greatest desire is trash the Vols. You have nothing else. Even candy will eat your lunch. When you think about it, that's pitiful.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Whoa now...BACKUP! hehe i'm sooooo funny.

Well anyhow I think this is good coaching.

I DON'T think Bray is injury prone. Look at the broken thumb film if you can. Could have happened to anybody!

3rdn8 writes:

Bama fan here. I have been reading quite a few articles re: the Vols offense this season. I suspect it's going to be very good.

I haven't seen many stories that feature the Vol's defense. What is the fan's take on how good the Vol's "D" will be this year.

Here's hoping that Sunseri's bunch has a great season....just not too great on October 20.

rusty_shackleford writes:

Would love to see a leader take the snaps rather than a drunk, throat slashing, beer bottle & golf ball throwing child.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jkleno#393970:

??? His argument has meat! Your dissing of Cincy is not a valid argument. Were they a top 25 team or not? Did Bray have to leave the Ga. game or not?

The losses to Georgia AND Florida??

C'mon at least make an argument for us to respond to?

Orangeblood13 writes:

Rofl
You trolls are great
Keep talkin lol

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 3rdn8:

Our defense will need to grow up early, but if UT avoids injury to the LB corp it could be a very strong unit by seasons end. I think Sal was the best hire this past year and he has a few tricks up his sleeve that Smart & Co don't know about..PS: Thanks for the civil retort, I don't mind verbal exchanges with rival fans..P:0.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to 3rdn8:

I hear UT's defense is sooooo good that even a "red tide" can't get past. The charging "red elephant"? We'll see I guess.

Seriously though we're deeper and stronger in every position. I hope. You Alabamans though right this moment in time??? a little bit scary to be honest.

Gooooo SEC!

P.S. If you're looking for a specific breakdown you'll have to find a more serious football poster.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

I resent that remark. I haven't thrown any beer bottles in quite some time....I've NEVER slashed any throats! Where do you live?

Oh, and if I don't throw the golf balls then how am I to get them on the green?

And how does any of this make me a bad QB? oh wait ?! I'm NOT a QB? Who were you talking to?
Probably could have been almost any QB in America and or Canada...High school college or pro.

DaveVol writes:

in response to jkleno#393970:

Instead of good job, Bray says don't jinx me. Bray's poor decision making will cost us at least one game. Just give me someone who can manage the offense.

Vol43 writes:

in response to DaveVol:

Gloom, despair and agony on me.

Ironcity writes:

in response to SevenT:

Your still and idiot. Bray played with a broken Thumb last year. He took an absolute beating in the UF game.

He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but the kid is a fantastic QB. Anyone with a brain can see that and believe me the pro scouts do. Some of you can hope that he gets hurt or gets replaced but you would think after last year you would realize what that means to the team. Then again some of you like SevenT are just trolls.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

Ahhhhhh....little Rusty needs some attention. Everybody give little Rusty some attention so he will feel better about himself. I guess living in a double-wide with 7 dogs and your girlfriend gets old after a few years, huh? Here is an idea to get you a lot of attention. Go to WalMart, lie down on the floor, start screaming and spinning around until a crowd gathers...talk about attention!!!

There now little Rusty...do you feel better?BOZO!

BolivrBob writes:

in response to 3rdn8:

Hopes are high. The front three with McCullers, Sentimore and Couch average about 320. Our linebackers will be second to none. Some concerns with the secondary but this defense should be tough. Course only talk at this point until se see the results on the field.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to 3rdn8:

I am very concerned with the D, Bama. A new defense will take several games to start peaking. The NC State game will be much closer than people think, maybe UT 24-21.

I am also concerned with Darr's punting. Take away his 48 yarder and his avg. in the scrimmage was about 36 yds. Not good.

I am hoping that by the Fla. game, we start clicking on all cylinders or we may have a tough season ahead. I predict 8-4 or possibly 9-3, depending on the S.C. game. I am not a negavol, but I don't see us beating Bama or Ga. at this point. GBO!

brokendownoldvol writes:

Sounds like the secondary is picking up where it left off last yr. Worst in the nation.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

This overconfidence from the coaches and players is unsettling

Why not? We are undefeated right now. LOL

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

I'm not much into predictions. I just hope we finish better than 5-7. I'm tired of breaking in new coaches.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Yea, I'm concerned too but at least they are getting a lot of practice against one of the nation's best WR's.

jfink45 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

This overconfidence from the coaches and players is unsettling

What about the overcofidence of the fans? Everyone is predicting an easy win. N. C. state is ranked. We are not. Vegas has the Vols by 4, but that could because so many Tennessee fans are betting on the Vols. This game is a toss up. We will have to prove on the field that we are the best team. At the end of last season, we were not!