Vols have 13 days to correct breakdowns

Tennessee football players, coaches and support staff pose for a team photo during media day at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

As promised, Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley and his staff looked closely at the breakdowns that led to several big plays in Friday night's scrimmage at Neyland Stadium.

Dooley said Saturday a film review found three main culprits: Players were inexperienced in running a particular type of coverage; communication problems in two-minute situations; and just getting beat on a well-executed offensive plays.

"It was a combination of things," Dooley said. "It's important to know why you did what you did. At the end of the day, we can't give up the number of big plays that we did."

* The Vols have 13 days to fix the breakdowns before the opener against North Carolina State.

"Everybody feels good about the work we've put in and the progress that we've made," Dooley said. "We won't really find out how we're going to respond as a team until we get in that situation. The jury's still out on that."

* Dooley said he didn't think defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri would have to simplify the defense to avoid communication breakdowns, but said there might be a gap in understanding between the regulars and the reserves.

"It's hard in scrimmages when you have so many guys going," Dooley said. "You have two groups: You have these veteran guys, and you have these young guys."

* Saturday was media day at Neyland Stadium. Players posed for photos, including action shots, on the field. Then they went inside for a series of interviews with reporters. All players except freshmen participated.

There was no practice Saturday. The team returns to the fields Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

* Four voters — including the News Sentinel's John Adams — ranked Tennessee in the Associated Press poll released Saturday.

The Vols were 33rd in the preseason ranking, eight spots out of the Top 25. Of teams that had a losing record in 2011, only No. 18 Ohio State is ranked higher.

* Some prospects are experts at collecting Twitter followers by playing to different fan bases. Jacksonville, Fla., defensive end DeMarcus Walker, who is being recruited aggressively by Tennessee and other schools, tweeted this on Friday: "I'm really feelin orange and white lately. Knoxville might need to make some room for me."

Walker is a consensus four-star prospect. Most analysts think he will sign with Florida or Alabama.

* CBS commentator Gary Danielson said he expects Tennessee's game against Florida in Week 4 to be the most important meeting between the two schools in years. Danielson had high praise for the Vols in a CBSSports.com article.

"There are some tremendously gifted players on offense for Tennessee," he said. "If Tyler Bray is who I think he is, he'll have a great year. Tennessee is loaded at wide receiver and has some veterans on the offensive line. This is a highly motivated football team."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jobrando#216494 writes:

I got to agree the Florida game is for all Dooley's marbles

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Sounds like if our D comes through for us we'll be really good.

UT 9-3!! Coupla breaks, no injuries, and a bowl win? 12-1 Possible NC baby!

ulp

CoverOrange writes:

Well, this is where I thought they would be. Most of the offense has been through Chaney's system for 2 or 3 year. Only Sentimore was familiar with Sunseri's system. Figure that the defense will be able to handle runs up the middle but expect breakdowns on the edge occasionally until everyone gets in sync.

do_it_Dooley writes:

why do we have 2 number 17's and 2 number 43's in the pic?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

At least they won't be sitting around and allowing offenses to move the ball (bend but not break) up and the down the field. They are going to force the action one way or another under Sal..GBO!!

volsn3 writes:

in response to do_it_Dooley:

why do we have 2 number 17's and 2 number 43's in the pic?

There is over a hnudred football players counting the walk-ons. Just do the math. GBO

lstbodeanvol writes:

ALSO REMEMBER THAT SOME NUMBERS ARE RETIRED SO YOU MUST DOUBLE UP..THEY WONT ALL DRESS FOR THE GAMES BUT DO FOR TEAM PHOTOS THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME NOR WILL IT BE THE LAST TEAM PHOTOS OF MAJORS AND FULMERS TEAMS DID THE SAME..GO VOLS

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

And they won't get tired from being on the field for so long. Three and out or long strike. The offense has got to score every time out.

Timbo_Slice writes:

I agree with the coments about the Florida game. It used to be important because it was the path to Atlanta. Now it is important because the future of both coaches could be at stake. The streak ends in Knoxville, 9-15-12! Go Vols!!!

SouthPaVol writes:

While we have a few good players on defense, our offense is loaded with skill at QB & WR. Defense is feeling its way through the change to the 3-4, while our offense is working on 3 years experience with OC Chaney. Defense has 5 returning full-time starters, while the offense has 9. Defense will get better, and maybe much better, after a couple games under its belt.

My left handed comment: As talent and experience stand today, if this offense can not score on this defense, we DO have big issues. Go Vols!

SevenT writes:

in response to SouthPaVol:

Where's the Beef?

Where's the Beef?

With that beefless line and zero running attack this won't be much better than last season.

Lock that Up

SIMSVOL writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Sounds like if our D comes through for us we'll be really good.

UT 9-3!! Coupla breaks, no injuries, and a bowl win? 12-1 Possible NC baby!

ulp

This is the unrealistic hype that sets up for disappointments. Realistically a good season for this team is more like 8-4 and a trip to a bowl. Stokes44yrs will be the first to call for coaching heads if the VOLS aren't 9-3. Bandwagon fans....Go VOLS!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

It's gonna take a while for the defense to gel. Any tossup game before the last half of the season will be hard to win because of a new defense. Fla. will not be easy just because we believe in this offense. 8-4 will be about right, unless the big breakdowns don't get corrected. Best case may be 9-3 and if we don't beat NCSt, look for 7-5.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to SevenT:

Where's the Beef?

Where's the Beef?

Lock that Up

Young troll,

This is a site for football people.......not kids.

Troll your way to the kiddie site. Come back sometime after you grow up.

lafollette37766 writes:

If U T gets it all together they should be an easy 8-4 team and with a little luck 9-3. Hopefully Dooley will get those breakdowns fixed fast. If not it could be a long season.

in response to SevenT:

Where's the Beef?

Where's the Beef?

Lock that Up

Thanks for your daily contribution to the humor quotient on this site. The six guys who will rotate among the D-line positions average right at 300 lbs each, even considering that McCullers is at least 360 all by himself. The eight guys who will get most of the minutes on the O-line likewise average well over 300 lbs. At the very least, that is SEC-elite-level size on both sides of the line. Got anything else stupid to ask?

TheVolSnake writes:

Here is a great article on the 3-4 it also has a photo of how big mac is.

Think about the center and QB the first time they come to the line and see him up close the first time.

They may have to call a time out to clean out the shorts.

SevenT writes:

At this pace it is going to be 13 years (not 13 days) to fix the mess from firing Fulmer

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Our O. Line should average pounds 315 this year. If I remember last year we were right at 300 average.

with only three players on the D. Line the defensive line Tennessee will weigh nearly 950 pounds.

I guess we have the beef

Go Vol's

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

It is a bummer that Danielson and Vern won't be calling that game (FL) in Knoxville this year. Vern misses a few things here and there but I like him and Danielson is the most interesting analyst in the game in my opinion.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

I guess we have the beef

Go Vol's

A week or so ago I did a comparison of the lines' weights. Our starting O-line averaged 319 and was the biggest of the teams I compared (Florida, Bama, SC, Georgia). Our D-line came in second (I think), with Bama being the only one of those four that was bigger, and that wasn't by much. Those numbers were all from the latest depth charts at Rivals.

SevenTIQ is just displaying his usual stupidity.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to SevenT:

Some things take longer than that. For example, the mess your parents made 13 years ago (you) still isn't fixed.

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

MAYBE A NEW D-FENCE BUT WITH HUGE LINE
GREAT LINE BACKERS AND D-BACKS,I AM SURE
THEY WILL BE A LOT BETTR THAN LAST YEAR.NEED TO STOP RUN AND HAVE A BETTER
PASS RUSH.BY TIME FLORIDA ROLLS AROUND ITS GOING TO BE LITES OUT FOR THEM.

Rumblefish writes:

13 days to correct the "breakdowns", and Dooley is confident enough to cut practice early up in Milligan, and disregard the final (3rd) scrimmage. Yeah...ummm...ok.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Methinks that is wishful thinking on behalf of mildcat fans everywhere..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

He's the coach..

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

He's the coach..

So? I never said he wasn't. In fact, I said he was the one making these decisions.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

He's the coach..

Oh wait....you were implying that b/c he's the coach, who am I or you to question his decision making. Ok, yeah...b/c we both know that coaches NEVER make the wrong decisions. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

I'm saying it doesn't matter what you or I say/think..He's the coach and our opinion won't change that. Now if you could make a difference one way or another..Show me, I'm from Missouri?

nocleats writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

SevenTIQ is just displaying his usual stupidity.

I agree that size wise Tennessee should match up with the best. However, if you go on last years strength measurements, (bench,squat,dead lift, and reps} you would find Tennessee near the bottom of the league. Hopefully that has been addressed this year.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to nocleats:

UT needs stability in a strength coach..It seems they replace that position every season and with high turnover in strength/conditioning personnel the results are starting to show..GBO!!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Show ya? I'll show ya that this is a site where people come to talk about Tennessee Football. I'll show ya that that Tennessee Football encompasses both the players and the coaches. I'll also show ya that here you are on this site (that is intended for people to discuss their opinion on the program) telling folks not to express said opinions. And finally...I'll show ya that you are not the police of this site.

You seriously have a problem with me questioning why the coach would cut practice and a scrimmage when there are "breakdowns" that need to be fixed in less than 2 weeks??? I know you are all about all things Tennessee...but come on man.

fur_burglar writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Do freshmen defensive tackles at Alabama routinely familiarize themselves with the linebackers coach's illusory system?

Buddy, they really got it goin' on in Tuscaloosa. That'll be us if we can keep Dooley around long enough.

He has Saban's blueprint, guys. GIVE HIM TIME!!!

nocleats writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Agreed. Strength or lack of,more than anything else, is what was responsible for Tennessee's dismal run game last year. I am tired of seeing our lineman thrown backwards through the air and run blocking like they have roller skates on. When you cant push Kys or Montanas DLine back 1 ft on 3rd down.....thats a strength problem. Lets hope its been fixed! GBO

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

I said show me how your opinion out ranks CDD's and all I got was a bunch of whining..As far as talking FB I can talk that sport with the best of them..So, why would one more day of camp have meant so much to team chemistry?? I'm asking you the question, RF? I wasn't there any of the days and perhaps you noticed something that needs immediate attention..Let's hear it..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to nocleats:

Yeah, that MTSU game was an embarrassment as well. I guess our new OL coach Pittman may make a difference in the training and overall mental/physical play of the line..I'm stoked, can hardly wait for the 31st to get here..GBO!!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Why is it so important??....simply b/c the nazi NCAA party limits practice time and # of practices for SA's.

Notice something that needs immediate attention? I sure have! Where you been the past 2 years???

fur_burglar writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Young troll,

This is a site for football people.......not kids.

Troll your way to the kiddie site. Come back sometime after you grow up.

Who's the bigger Troll, the Troll or the Troll that Trolls the Troll?

If these damn Trolls don't realize that adding two wide receivers, one DT and replacing a respected defensive coordinator with a linebackers coach will propel the worst team in the SEC into contention, then they need to just go ahead and checkout of this chat room and go to Dawg Vent or Bama online or some place where they might feel more at home.

Think about your fantasy leagues, guys. Who's at the top of your draft boards?! Its names like Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, Megatron.

When Washington signed big Albert Haynesworth and switched to the 3-4, I dare you to tell me with a straight face that you didn't get down on your knees and pray to God Almighty that the Redskins Defense would still be hangin' around when your number was called. Go On, TELL ME!!!

Didn't think so.

TROLLS!!!

Sittin' around in their momma's basement...

This chat room is for MEN!!!

Like it or not Dooley's our coach, he always will be and there's nothing we can say about it!!!

He has a plan, guys. Hell, he has Saban's plan and that's as good as gold right now. Look at what's going on down in Tuscaloosa!!!

Give the man time, hell, GIVE HIM A DAMN RAISE!!!

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

How do either of you know what the Vols' weight room stats are? How could anybody outside the program know what the Vols' objectives were and how well they fulfilled them? Nearly all stats involved with football are extremely subjective, as to their meaning if not their numerical exactitude, except perhaps for official game stats. All we can say for sure is that the O-line didn't get much of a push in the run game last year, which I'm sure even the team and our coaches noticed, so there is a high probability that their efforts were geared to developing explosiveness and agility as opposed to sheer bulk and weight-lifting strength. But of course I don't know that, either. The only way we will know for sure is if they come out knocking guys off the ball, and/or out for a series or two in, say, the first four games. If they do that, everything they trained for worked out; if not, not.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Okay, touche'..I'm too tired to debate that point..I've been here the last 42 years and yes I was ashamed of the shape UT's fb program has become..But, I also still fly my Orange every Saturday and never remove my UT logo from the transportation I drive. I'm finally hearing good things from the hill according to Mr. Haslam and Harold Johnson alumnus from the 51' NC team at UT..Harold told me the other day our d-line is finally big enough to hold their own in the SEC and a junior heavy class this year marks the first time since Fulmer was coaching..So, I'm very optimistic and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after the NCSU game..GBO!!

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to SevenT:

Yes, yes, baby doll, we'll be there soon. No bathroom breaks.

To trolls and negaVols in particular: It is not exactly unprecedented for even very good teams to have "breakdowns" in practice or to shuffle personnel just before a season. I doubt there has ever been a perfect practice or game or team or coach anywhere. It's not about whether or not you have breakdowns, though of course you try to prevent them the best you can, it's about how you get past them. The Vols have the firepower to score from any position on the field. That ability may well cover up for any breakdowns that do occur.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

They are big enough for sure...and face it, the D-line has been the game changer for the SEC for quite some time. Other conferences just don't seem to have the big boys up front, which (personally) I think is why the SEC has won 6 in a row.

However, our D-line is new and none of them have even played 1 season together. Add to that...implementing a new D. Yeah...I'm thinking they could use all the practices and scrimmages that the NCAA will allow. What's the total in fall??---21? with no more than X hrs in a day? I'm not sure on the specifics, but I believe it's right around there.

Oh boy do I hope we blow out NC St, tune up against GA St, and then blow the freaking doors off of the Gators! Bout damn time to start a run of our own against them....and run up the score too. This is one time where I choose to kick the dog while it's down.

nocleats writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You dont have to have an inside knowledge to know that when your 305 lb center gets thrown in the air backwards and lands on his butt 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage by a 280 lb d lineman, or your 6-6 323 lb tackle cant knock a 240 lb linebacker backwards that there was a strength problem. When 2 true freshmen lineman, Richardson and Jackson come in and are immediately labled as the strongest two lineman on the team there has been a problem. I pray it gets fixed.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

There's talk that Worley may play most of the GSU game as early as the 2nd Qtr..I kind of would like to see Bray light them up for about 5 TD's before that happens, but CDD is determined to have 2 QB's game ready, and after last year I don't blame him..It's also put up or shut up at this stage of the game..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Well Coach, do you think a team should switch strength/conditioning personnel every season?? And if you were involved in that scenario don't you think the players would suffer changing philosophy so often?? The proof is in the pudding and I agree with nocleats, we ain't getting it done in the trenches..GBO!!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good to hear. B/c realistically...if Bray has the kind of year that most are predicting he will have...he's gone for the NFL draft. Getting Worley as much playing time as possible so he can step in and light it up in 2013 is all good in my book!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

That is good..Also Peterman was making giant strides pushing Worley before his injury this Spring..He's a dual threat athlete with a cannon for an arm..And they have that Fr. from Carolina that unless there are injuries will probably red-shirt..We'll see.

suttree writes:

Any of you recruiting geeks know where the 2012 class would have landed without 4 star RB Borque? I'm just curious b/c so much leeway is given to Dooley for his recruiting 'prowess'.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I got to agree the Florida game is for all Dooley's marbles

Let's get through this State game first. Florida is going to be a tough out for anybody. Their defense may be as good as Bama's and if Pease can get their offense going , (which he will...he's done it everywhere else) they're going to be very good. The best thing wee have going for us, in that game, is Muschamp, because he is wacko and that it's in Knoxville. If our defense arrives, I think we'll win. But let's beat State first. This will be a tough game and answer a lot of questions and tell us where we are.