Davante Bourque's father says running back will enroll in community college

Any lingering chance that freshman running back Davante Bourque might return to Knoxville appears finished after Bourque's father said his son left school because he was "frustrated" by "broken promises" at Tennessee.

Bourque's father, Kirk Landry, said Bourque plans to enroll at Pearl River Community College in Poplarville, Miss.

Landry told the News Sentinel Friday that Bourque was suffering from homesickness compounded by issues involving his girlfriend, with whom Bourque has a child. The girlfriend's father passed away recently, Landry said.

Landry has not returned subsequent calls from the News Sentinel, but he spoke more forcefully in an interview with the Rayne Acadian-Tribune, a newspaper near Bourque's hometown of Crowley, La.

"There were just a lot of broken promises," he said. "You know, he was homesick and they didn't help it any by not being truthful when they were recruiting him.

"He was at the point where he wanted to just give up on football, but I urged him to stick it out."

Bourque abruptly left Knoxville shortly before the team departed for Milligan College. Dooley told reporters the absence was due to personal reasons.

"I wasn't happy at all when he told me he was coming home," Landry told the newspaper. "But everything that was going on had him so messed up in the head. He wasn't able to concentrate on football. He was going to give it up. That's how frustrated they had him up in Knoxville.

"But I told him things in life are tough, things in life aren't going to come easy. (I told him) people are going to lie to you and such, but you just have to suck it up and take another route to get where you want to get."

Landry didn't elaborate on how he thought Tennessee was untruthful.

A 6-foot-3, 200-pound athlete., Bourque picked the Vols over Miami (Fla.) just before National Signing Day. His father said he would seek a full release from Tennessee but doesn't know if it will be granted.

* Junior linebacker Greg King is the latest player to move to tight end in an effort to shore up depth at the position. A fourth-year junior, King was not on the two-deep at linebacker, so the move gives him a chance at playing time.

Mychal Rivera and Ben Bartholomew are the only two healthy scholarship tight ends or H-backs on the roster, and Rivera is still in a non-contact jersey as he returns from injury.

"We're depleted at tight end and he's got that tight end body type," Dooley said. "He's got a good attitude, so we are going to see how he does."

It's not clear whether King can realistically be expected to contribute in time for the season opener. King said he played tight end some in high school, but caught only one pass.

"We have to get in and just evaluate him a couple of days to see if he's got the skill set to help us," Dooley said. "Then we have to keep it real simple and get him functioning. I've been in this position in the NFL. They bring in a tight end and you have to get him game ready in five days. There are ways you can get a guy to function out there, but it is still a long haul to help you win."

* Dooley said the Vols had a solid practice Sunday after some post-Milligan lethargy as players struggle to make it through the dog days of camp.

"I think we really hit that dip when we got back from Milligan," Dooley said. "We get back and we're not done. Those first couple of practices after Milligan, it was hard. It was tough emotionally, but I think we've pulled out of that and now we have our energy back."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

Kid is learning that everything on the football field is earned just like in life. Good luck to the kid because he is going to need it.

GreerVol22 writes:

Calling coach a liar huh? Strong words pops...better back it up.

voloffaith writes:

Here we go the merry(not) go round..."they lied to him...broken promises...." thought he got injured early on....so maybe that inhibited opps to fulfill dream....

SmokeyFTW writes:

WOW....To early to make big decisions like that

Huttdawg100 writes:

Wasn't there a running back out of Knoxville that we looked over to take Bourque? I think he ended up at Kentucky or Louisville.

FWBVol writes:

Bring on the trolls. I'm sure they'll use this to try and say why Derek Dooley is in over his head.

So the kid's dad says UT lied to him, but he didn't say how. If he was going to make that kind of accusation he should at least give some specifics.

Did Derek Dooley promise the kid he would be the starting tailback or that he wouldn't get hit by Dan McCullers?

This kid has a lot of room to talk about breaking promises. He committed to two or three different schools and then signed with Tennessee. I'm not saying he's different than a lot of other kids in the recruiting process, but a lot of these players promise a school they'll play for it and then change their mind and break a promise.

The only thing UT or any school should ever promise any player is the opportunity to fight for a spot in the lineup, a chance to play in the SEC, ACC, Big 10...and if he goes to class and studies he'll get a degree that will last him long after he can no longer play football.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Good post. Every SEC school has 4 and 5 star running backs waiting on their opportunity to hit the field. That's the reason he de-committed from LSU. He's not as mentally tough as he needs to be to play football on an elite level. And his dad making excuses for him won't help at all.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

What's with these crybaby athletes??..They're man enough to take care of their women, but afraid to talk to coaches or media, and have mommy or daddy do it for them..What a wimp, reminds me of Bryce Brown..Pitiful.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Hmmmm. Not the first kid to leave college unhappy and won't be the last. That includes every school out there. we'll never know if his blaming the coaches was justified. But there are ALWAYS 2 sides. Of course when your on a blog? 30 or 40 different views probably.

That said I'd be very careful calling a lawyer coach a liar. That's just me.

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

Derek Dooley has a solid reputation as a straight-shooter with recruits and their parents. Bourque's father has some explaining to do before anyone believes him.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good grif Mr. Beare!?? You know they ain't a college kid and younger anywhere in the world that wants their parents to say anything at all. The kid's probably horrified at this parent intervening.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

"There were just a lot of broken promises," he said.
"That's how frustrated they had him up in Knoxville."

After these unspecified, unsubstantiated accusations, I'd say probably not.

pingkr62 writes:

If the coaching staff lied to one player, wouldn't it make since that they are lying to everyone? If that were truly the case, then the whole team would quit for the same reason. I think the lying is coming from somewhere else. Probably somewhere in Lousyanna. J.M.O.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

"There were just a lot of broken promises," he said.
"That's how frustrated they had him up in Knoxville."

After these unspecified, unsubstantiated accusations, I'd say probably not.

He sure doesn't deserve a hardship release (and I hope the NCAA isn't that gullible)..But, CDD will made out to be the bad guy by the media if this turns into another Bryce Brown whine-fest..Stay tuned.

CoverOrange writes:

Doesn't arrive in Knoxville until July, and spends less than a week practicing in August. How was there any time to break a promise?

Methinks that Davante was promised a fair shot at RB but the hit by McCullers that gave him whiplash and an order to sit for a few days, didn't set with him to well.

So he took his ball and went home. So there.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

All I know is my parents never spoke for me after I turned 18yrs of age and they didn't make my college choices when I was 17yrs old..I accepted and signed a letter of intent without their permission and they were never interviewed by the media on my behalf..Just sayin'

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

But if your parents had intervened what? I wasn't actually sayin' every kid out there hates that. But they probably do.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

So he took his ball and went home. So there.

That must have been a de-cleater Big Mac put on Bourque..I love it.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

There would be no story to interview if he would have handled it like a man..That's my whole point, he ran off like a spoiled brat wanting his mommy. And for the record, why would he not have Landry for his last name?? Confused.

manniesghost1903 writes:

On the surface, at least to me, it appears Davante Bourque maybe a typical product of a broken home. I don't mean that in a critical way to him. It is just typical of our society and not everyone responds to the situations Davante is facing in a positive way.

For many years I attended high school football games (before being diagnosed with chronic kidney disease) where, on senior night I would see many of the senior football players, band members and cheer leaders come out for recognition with two sets of parents.

As I said several days earlier, if Davante went home to be with his girlfriend at this time of crisis, I believe he made the correct decision. If he went home solely due to home sickness and nothing else, that is also understandable in these times but not as noble.

sameolvolalum writes:

It seems as if the apple hasn't fallen very far from the tree. Although the Bryce Brown experience has propably hardened our fan base toward crybaby prima-donnas,I do think it's justifiable to put Bourque in the same boat.....due in part to the influences of his old man. And speaking of old men.....just because that Walt fella' with an 81 IQ is a sad excuse of a dirtbag, you youngsters shouldn't laugh at us "older" people. Remember: You'll only get old if you're lucky enough to live that long. I've retired from two careers and am still going strong......working at my third career at 62. Maybe it's from all the orange kool aid I've been drinking all these years. Older and smarter than Walt.....'73. GBO!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

LOL You realize we're of the same thought here right? The difference would be my sometimes opinion that all 10-25 year olds are of the same tendencies. spoilt!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You know what a WHODAT is? WHODAT b..y d...y? J.S.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pingkr62:

You know what a WHODAT is? WHODAT b..y d...y? J.S.

Got it..LMAO!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Now I do..A little slow on the uptake..Hey, I'm old.

eduardo writes:

DO THE INEVITABLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Now I do..A little slow on the uptake..Hey, I'm old.

I'm in my 80s. Well that is according to my doctor. My actual age is 57. Old is relative. If you actually have seen Neyland in person? or heard him live? well.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to eduardo:

DO THE INEVITABLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I just turned 50 and have been battling influenza and now pneumonia for the last month..So I'm feeling like I'm 80 as well.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

You would have to have been younger than seven years old to have seen and heard the General. If I'm correct, he died in 1962? I hope I haven't shown my stupidity again!

HallowedHill writes:

Good luck to the young man. As with any recent father, he'll find that he's got a lot of growing up to do.

volzcrushm writes:

OK... there once was a guy (Bryce Brown) that made a last minute decision to play for UT instead of Miami. THEN, there was this other guy (Borque) that did the same thing. Both decided not to continue there football careers at UT and left for another college. The B.B. guy didnt pan out at any other university probably causing him millions in his arogant quest to be in the NFL. The second guy.... ???

wagee12 writes:

Promises, he wasn't in Knoxville long enough to steal a laptop, much less have promises broken. Did he think he was going to be first team at TB when he walked on campus? Hey here's an idea for Landry and Bourque, get a job and support your child and baby mammy.

coach799 writes:

Liar? Really? From high expectations for him to homesick crybaby in 45 days!

That was a quick fall from grace, DB!

GO VOLS!!

PUL4VOLS writes:

It was not meant to be Period! We don't know what is going on in the young man's mind. Unless there are specifics about broken promises, it looks like sour grapes. So he is gone. Let's move on and be done with it. No more ridiculous articles on this. It is a dead horse. Best wishes to Mr. Bourgue. I hope he gets it together and especially grows to become a good father and husband.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

For the child's sake if nothing else.

cyclonevol87 writes:

The dad more or less said its not his fault he just quit its UT's.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Agree 100% BB. A friend of mine checked out Bourque's Facebook page (I don't have one) and he said the kid was spewing profanity laced tirades (not about UT )and acting like a wannabe t**g. We don't need him or anyone like him. We all know how cry-baby Bryce Brown turned out.

The Vols will roll without Bourgue. WooooHoooo!!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to eduardo:

DO THE INEVITABLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good suggestion. I will click "Suggest Removal"

Hey everyone...Eduar-dodo is a bottom-feeding anti-Dooley troll. I guess it was inevitable everyone found out about you slimewad.

GO VOLS. GO DOOLEY. Rocky Top Wooooooooooooooooo

treytn writes:

in response to wagee12:

Warner Agee, I don't think you should be offering advice to anyone about getting a job and keeping up their children since you didn't yourself. What a hypocrite!!! LMAO

LibertyVolance writes:

One thing for certain. He couldn't hack it and decided he didn't want to try.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

The Vols will roll without Bourgue. WooooHoooo!!

Hey, 76..Can you imagine being less than two weeks away from playing NCSU in front of 70-80,000 fans..And you quit and run home to mommy instead of enjoy one of the greatest thrills in a lifetime..I'm sorry, but my girl would have to wait for her man to play some football.

GerryOP writes:

Do what you gotta do Davante ... regardless of what others want you to do. But most importantly, find peace in your life.

cyclonevol87 writes:

Maybe the check Tennessee wrote bounced lol jk.

RaineyVol writes:

Sounds like Bryce Browns father.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

BB...I was on the field last year at the UGA game. My daughter surprised me with field passes for my birthday. Anyway, I got chills and teary-eyed. I would give my left *** to run thru the T before a home game! Mr. Bourque has ZERO idea what he just threw away. If that is his way to handle adversity, he is not Big Orange material.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to eduardo:

DO THE INEVITABLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kneel down and get ready.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

What I would give just to be able to walk on that Holy ground that is Sheilds-Watkins field! That is something that would be as close to heaven as I could get without actually being there. It's a shame someone would throw that away. G.B.O.!!!!

Snapshot writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

"There were just a lot of broken promises," he said.
"That's how frustrated they had him up in Knoxville."

After these unspecified, unsubstantiated accusations, I'd say probably not.

Exactly, he blames Tennessee for his son wimping out and then expects a full release.
Here is an idea. Refund all the money spent on recruiting your son, which I'm sure is a considerable amount, and MAYBE I would consider it. What do you bet that won't happen?

keepitreal4vols writes:

Here's an idea kid, bring your family(girl & baby) to Knoxville. See Justin Hunter for what its like to be an athlete with a baby. There is an awesome support group here. You are on scholarship, everything is free and paid for. Oh well, I hope you move out of the basement before your 30.