Herman Lathers to rehab during rest period

Tennessee defensive back Corey Alexander, right, talks with a reporter along with teammate Herman Lathers, left, during media day at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Senior linebacker Herman Lathers said he still isn't 100 percent recovered from a strained quadriceps that has kept him sidelined for much of camp, but resolved to be ready for Tennessee's season opener against North Carolina State in 10 days.

"I can't really put a mark on how close I am, but I felt a little better (today) than I have in the past few days, and that's a good step," Lathers said on Monday. "We've got a rest period coming up soon, so I've got to take full advantage of it and get in there and just rehab until I can't rehab anymore."

Lathers missed all of last season after breaking his ankle. He was an All-SEC freshman in 2009 and started 12 games in 2010.

"I'm a guy that's going to push himself," Lathers said. "Even when I'm not at 100 percent, I'm going to work to compete and train hard."

* Music blared from speakers while players warmed up for practice Saturday. And no, coach Derek Dooley said with a smile, the rap music did not come from his Ipod.

"I don't have that song, nor do I know what it is, or who sang it. If you call that singing," Dooley said.

Dooley said the musical accompaniment had been on players' wish-list for a while.

"They came to me about 10 practices ago and requested music," Dooley said. "I just said, 'Music doesn't energize you. You get music when you're energized.' It's just like why did we cancel practice at Milligan (on the last day)? We didn't cancel practice because they needed it. We canceled practice because they earned it. That's how music is. It's a privilege."

* One song on Monday's set list carries a special meaning for Lathers. "A Change Is Gonna Come," a 1964 soul hit that became an anthem of the civil rights movement, has helped Lathers through his months of rehabilitation. Now he'd like it to become a motto for the team.

"The song is to remind the guys that we are not going back to the way things used to be," Lathers said. "There is going to be a change this year and we're putting Tennessee back where Tennessee needs to be."

* The Vols are off for most of the next two days to prepare for the start of classes on Wednesday. The new semester adds a challenge for players who had been able to concentrate solely on football for the last two weeks.

"(The dynamic) will change Wednesday when classes start," Dooley said. "We have to get prepared for all of that. I think this is a good time for classes to start. You don't want it on your game week and you don't want it too early in camp. We'll always go through a couple of days of issues there."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolGrad writes:

Wishing Lathers the best. He very much deserves it.

VFL! Go Vols!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Wishing Lathers the best. He very much deserves it.

VFL! Go Vols!!!

Ditto..

moodyvol89 writes:

I see a change this year too. 10-2 GO VOLS!!!!!!

crzyivan writes:

Leaders, lead from the front. Your a leader Lathers.

TheVolSnake writes:

First of all I am very excited about Lathers return and he will be a force this year and has always been a great leader, remember last year he was constantly teaching the young (freshman) LB's.

Second I guess Walt didn't know what he was talking about "as Normal" on why practice was canceled the last day of the M. Trip.

Kinda shows leadership to me when he makes personnel earn privileges.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

Kinda shows leadership to me when he makes personnel earn privileges.

Gotta' agree snake. This team's attitude's going to produce the ears pinned back, nasty attitudes we've not seen since '98. Herman and company are going to make a lot of noise. I wonder if the Santos kid from Texas is now having second thoughts about switching from UT to A&M.

And Walt 81 IQ.....I'm sure he'll put his 2 cents worth soon enough.......once he puts down his anatomically correct GI Joe doll.

BluezVol writes:

What a breath of fresh air. In this society of entitlement, free-bees, handouts, etc. there are still some leaders talking about "earning it". Very nice and very needed for all around player development.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

Yeah, and his cardboard cut-out of Viggo Mortensen (wearing his tan training tights) in the movie GI Jane..

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to crzyivan:

Leaders, lead from the front. Your a leader Lathers.

Got that right!! Lather is the QB of the defense. At this point not much difference as if we lost Bray on offense..With his hard work he's well respected by his fellow team mates..Like the rest of you Iam really pulling for Herman to have a monster season!!

Timbo_Slice writes:

"A change is gonna come"...loving the attitude and leadership from Lathers! Hope he can get healed up and stay healthy throughout the season! And nice job by Dooley and staff to reward these guys for their hard work and effort. Although, I have to disagree with him that music doesn't energize you. Almost every athlete is listening to some pre-game/pre-race tunes to get them fired up!

jt1369w writes:

Lathers passion reminds me of Al Wilson! Go Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I want football.

gc_scvol writes:

If you'll look all the way down the page under OTHER SPORTS you'll find an article about the AP basing a writer in Knoxville. You have to look really hard to find it. Wonder why it wasn't at the top of the page like the ua, uf, an ky stories?
.....

SCVFL writes:

This defense is shaping up pretty nice. If they can master the 3-4 quickly it could be great. I admire Lathers' grit and determination. VOLS need to take lesson from him. Never Give Up.
I truly hope that "A Change is Gonna Come"
Love me some VOL football
GO BIG RNG...VFL

min32926#266113 writes:

I can't wait for football time in Tennessee. GBO!

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I feel very confortable with 7 wins, maybe more.

BleednUrnge81 writes:

good morning to all my fellow vol faithful. 10 days and counting till we break our g dome curse. I think the thing we need to adhere to most is the last of general neyland's maxims : CARRY THE FIGHT TO OUR OPPONENT, AND KEEP IT THERE FOR 60 MINUTES. I we do this, no one can stand against us. If we do this, no team has a chance of walking into the house that neyland built and steal one from the vols on our home turf. there will be no easy games in neyland for anyone. I would like to request that anyone who reads this comment type a go vols for me and everyone else on here. We have been down long enough. We have been ridiculed long enough. No more. The road to redemption starts on Aug. 31.

GBO and have a good'n.

Vol till i fall.

in response to Timbo_Slice:

I would guess that Dooley, like most coaches, is a bit "old-school" about working with your full attention. The idea is that you train to do the right thing automatically as the situation requires. But the training itself must be purposeful and engage the whole mind and body if it is to result in the creation of correct habits.

Kids these days have had personal music in their heads their whole lives. Many of them are almost never conscious without their earbuds on. It may be awhile yet before solid research appears on the effect of music on learning of all sorts, but most kids will argue that music helps them concentrate, focus, and relax in ways that boost their performance.

I tend to go along with the "old-school" view on this, but I take it as a good sign that Dooley has framed it as a "reward" for hard work rather than a normal thing that would probably soon pall anyway.

luvmatersoup writes:

Oh yeah...this is great and what I was hoping to hear!!!! I am so excited and can't wait for kickoff, I could spit orange. Question though...If Corey Alexandere is on the right of the picture above, who's the guy interviewing Corey wearing a UT jersey? I've never seen sports broadcasters wearing the team jersey where they live but hey....I'd love to see more reporters in the Knoxville area ditch the suit and tie for a UT jersey. Go Vols!!!

luvmatersoup writes:

From what ole' luvmatersoup hears...we may actually shock some folks and could somehow, possibly tie for first in the SEC East. I'm wondering though, now that there are two additional teams joinging the SEC this year, what happens if we do end up in a tie for first? If we are tied with say....Alabama, could we play them in a "playoff" game to find out whom the true top of the SEC East is? Go Vols and hey, what about Augusta National now accepting females. I say good for August National, and now the men that play there regularly will have something other than their balls to stair at. GOOOOOOO VOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

OHHH the acidity is over the top again....frying the brain and all synapses aren't firing together....

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I got ya partner! Heck, you are the only one thus far that caught me saying BAMA was in the SEC East. Have a good one and go Vols!!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

100% positive posts. Now we're talking !
How embarrassing to be the first troll after so many positive comments. Shhhhhhh OCV. Don't wake em' up !

Go Vols !

cyclonevol87 writes:

I hope and pray H.L. can stay health all year that would be a huge plus.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Love the leadership that Lathers brings to the table, but with him being prone to injuries, I certainly hope we have another Mike ready in the wings. At this point, although we have some strong LB's starting, we do not have depth at this position. We need to keep these guys healthy!

Navaloranges writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

I'm not sure he's injury prone. Not trying to be disagreeable, but a lot of players have nagging "hurts". I think he's only had one significant injury that I can remember. Anyway, you're right about them staying healthy. There's another piece on gvx about Christian Harris that sounds like good news for the LB's. It says his rehab is about completed, and he's in better playing shape from 250 to 238lbs. A welcome addition to the LB corps.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Naval, wasn't Lathers out all last yr. with a bad sprain or ACL and then this yr. out most of practices with quad. injury. I don't recall seeing much of him his 1st 2 yrs on the field either. Just an observation. We really need his leadership.

florida-volfan writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Yea, I like this young man too....he has a great attitude and work ethic; however, I had to say it, but he might not make it through an sec schedule this year. He's just had too many injuries. I hope they have contingency plans for this, very important position running the defense

Navaloranges writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

He's had a BROKEN ankle, and a strained muscle. Other than that I don't think he's had anything but aches and pains. So, one major injury and one minor hurt. I don't think that's injury prone. A broken ankle is a serious rehab job, but it's his only serious injury.