Derek Reese undergoes surgery, estimated to be out six months

Tennessee signee Derek Reese of team Game Time Lights scores against team Rice Buick GMC in the Pilot Rocky Top League at Bearden High School on Monday, June 18, 2012.

Photo by Saul Young, copyright © 2012

Incoming Tennessee freshman Derek Reese might have to wait until the 2013-14 season to show off his feathery jump shot.

Reese, from Orlando, Fla., underwent shoulder surgery at UT Medical Center on Tuesday to repair a torn right labrum, the school announced. Associate director of sports medicine Chad Newman estimated the recovery time to be approximately six months.

That timetable would make Reese available by mid-February. The Vols will be 11 games into their SEC slate by Feb. 13, meaning the odds of Reese contributing next season are minimal. Barring an unforeseen recovery, he will likely apply for a medical redshirt in 2012-13.

Reese suffered the injury upon his return from playing for the U19 Puerto Rican National Team in the Nike Global Challenge in mid-July. It's believed Reese suffered the tear while lifting weights.

The 6-foot-7 wing joined the Vols on a four-game, 10-day tour of Italy earlier in the month, but he didn't take the floor.

A UT press release didn't specify whether the repair was made via an incision on the front of the shoulder or through arthroscopic techniques — the two types of surgeries used to repair a torn labrum.

Reese averaged 21.0 points, 12.3 rebounds and 1.3 steals in 32.0 minutes per game in the Nike Global Challenge and was the tournament's second leading scorer. He averaged 9.5 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.3 blocks per game as a senior at Olympia High School.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

richvol writes:

Well darn...

SCVFL writes:

Probably would not have gotten a whole lot of floor time anyway. This way he gets a year to recoup,mature, and get stronger. Good for the future.
But RIGHT NOW....
Love me some VOL football
GO BIG RNG...VFL

Smokey91 writes:

I think this young man will be a great player for UT down the road. Heal up and see you in FEB Lord willing.

RockyTop1_old writes:

Red Shirt makes sense...come back stronger than ever...VFL!!

40cap writes:

anybody know if Derek is related to former bball Vol Ronnie Reese?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm disappointed. We need the depth. But I think we'll be fine and next year we'll definitely need depth.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I'm not worried about depth at any position for the Vols, barring lingering effects from injuries to Golden and Maymon and further ones to anybody in the rotation. For the three perimeter positions, the 2012-13 Vols will have Golden, McBee, McRae, Richardson, Moore, Cheivous, and Edwards. The first four have starting experience and Edwards is a JUCO guy. Of that group, only McBee will be gone after next season. The Vols shouldn't need a major contribution from Reese for two more years. By that time, they may have better recruits to challenge him.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

I doesn't matter. Say it with me now...NIT...NIT

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I hope you're right about that. It certainly appears to be true. I believe we'll be fine like I said. If Martin goes with the tighter rotation it probably won't affect our game too much. But we want our practices to be complete as well? We could have used Reese to put pressure on the starters.

I DO think we'll be fine though like you said also. I'm not challenging your statement but just telling you where I'm coming from.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

I doesn't matter. Say it with me now...NIT...NIT

Ok you're a nit! Feel better now?

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Well, I certainly wasn't in favor of him getting hurt. I said when they began the Italy trip that I hoped he got some meaningful minutes, which along with his play with the Puerto Rico youth team this summer, might give him a leg up on most true freshmen. But as they say, the biggest part of success in life is showing up, so now, until he shows up, we'll never know what he could be getting ready to do now. If they were going to lose somebody, I can't say right now who I would rather it be than him.

TruVol writes:

I heard Coach Dooley had him try out for tight end. He was up there in down blocking on Big Dan at Milligan when he got hurt...

VolunteerLifer writes:

How come he got hurt lifting weights? Isn't there a weight trainer there with a very specific, monitored, supervised program for each guy? Aren't those guys there to see to it that these valuable athletes don't get hurt in their conditioning and strengthening routines? If I was a top basketball recruit, I'd be asking UT's coaches these very questions.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

I doesn't matter. Say it with me now...NIT...NIT

In the last 7 years TN has gone to the NCAA as much as any team in the SEC. Your dilusional.

Hoops43 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

They let go one of the top basketball strength coaches in the country this Spring and replaced him with Purdue's softball strength coach. Don't remember any injuries under Troy Wills.....

mocsandvolsfan writes: