Derek Dooley doesn't expect suspended Da'Rick Rogers to return

Tennessee wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers talks with the media during media day at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

UT coach Derek Dooley talks about Da'Rick Rogers

All-SEC receiver Da’Rick Rogers’ career at Tennessee is likely finished, coach Derek Dooley said this morning.

Rogers, a junior from Calhoun, Ga., was suspended for an undisclosed violation of team rules and Dooley said “our expectation is” Rogers won’t return to the program.

Dooley said he informed Rogers of the suspension on Wednesday and told the rest of the team before practice today.

“There’s not one player on the team that we’re not prepared to go play without,” Dooley said.

Rogers led the SEC with 67 receptions and 1,040 receiving yards last year. He was a consensus first-team preseason All-SEC selection and was expected to be an important part of the Vols’ passing attack.

Without offering details on Rogers’ suspension, Dooley said “recent events” led to his decision.

Dooley said the behavior of “18- to 22-year-olds” is his “No. 1 professional hazard” in coaching. Rogers has given him more headaches than most.

Shortly after signing with Tennessee as a five-star prospect, Rogers was arrested after a fight at a Knoxville bar in 2010.

This year, Rogers received a two-week ban from offseason activities and then missed some of spring practice amid rumors that he planned to transfer.

But he made it to August and had a solid camp, according to coaches.

Senior tight end Mychal Rivera said he planned to reach out to Rogers through a text message. But most teammates were cautious in what they said to reporters.

“We’ve got a mature group,” said quarterback Tyler Bray. “We’ll be fine.”

Running back Rajion Neal said he planned to “stay out of the Internet, blogs and things like that” in the coming days.

Tennessee opens the season Aug. 31 against North Carolina State at the Georgia Dome.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

• August 23, 2012
  • 10:11 a.m.
keepitreal4vols writes:

chris021887 writes:

Let him Go!!! JUCO CP is twice the athlete

VolnJax5 writes:

why does this always happen to us?

MrBullet50 writes:

Well that sucks

MikeInTN writes:

Gee, I'm shocked!!!!

clcvol writes:

I don't think this will hurt us as bad with CP now. But still would have loved to have all 3 on the field.

NashvillePreds writes:

It is just constant up there...

YODA writes:

FIRST! This is not good news, not good news at all...

dlobh writes:

. . . and it begins again - time to move on without him

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Ah, nothing to see here! This will be labeled as message board chatter by Dooley. And a large number of folks round' here will turn a blind eye to it as they have for the last year or two. I'm sure this is the media's fault somehow. What a joke.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Here we go again.

Vol1968 writes:

This is really no surprise. Sad that he continues to make poor choices and ruin what could be a decent career, but no surprise.

Vol_In_The_Ville writes:

Hope it's not a major violation. Hate to see this happen right now. I know I did some stupid things when I was 20 years old - most of us probably did. Let's not bash the kid before we hear the story. He's still a VOL and I'm still excited about this year!

TommyJack writes:

just can't make chicken salad.....

Ironcity writes:

3 awesome receivers seemed like such a great thing. Oh well.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Expect a presser in a day or two stating how Rogers has changed. How he's became a leader on and off the field. Be willing to bet money on it. We've seen this all too many times by now.

rayt435 writes:

'"It’s so much more fun because you don't have to think as much,” Rogers said.'

I have heard him talk. That along with this latest incident just proves thinking is not second nature to Rogers.

jowemedo writes:

I've been dreading this all along. I told a friend of mine after spring practice that I wouldn't believe Da'Rick would play all year until the final game was played.

AVolinWestVirginia writes:

Did anyone expct him to make it through the entire season (and bowl game) without this happening at some point?

beartn#223846 writes:

I guess the only positive is that this site actually has this news up before it's on ESPN or CBSSports. Anytime you lose a star player, it hurts. That means our passing game that may have been the best in the SEC is one injury (Hunter or Patterson) away from being mediocre. It especially hurts since we are very thin at TE will all the injuries to that position. That said, no player is bigger than the team. I'm not sure what problem Rogers has, but this will cost him a lot of money. Even if he comes back and gets drafted (either from the Vols or an FCS School), it will be much lower becasue of his attitude. The NFL already has enough TO's, Ochocinco's, DeSean Jacksons, etc. Of course, he may not get drafted at all.

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

As long as he is back by Monday we should be ok.

TampaVol82 writes:

Must have been hangin' with Honey Badger

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

He has a lot of talent, just too much baggage. Time to free up his future.

gc_scvol writes:

Hate to see this happen. Really doesn't really come as much of a surprise. I plan to wait until I find out what has happened before I make any more comments except, We still have plenty of talent at WR and we're still VOLS. Don't let this crush your hopes for the season. We WILL survive.GBO...VFL

StoneJackBaller writes:

Here we go....Now we're one injury away from a repeat performance. What a dikweed.

volnsc writes:

Dooley will not tolerate fools forever. Jackson and Clear come to mind. But I hate to see it. A good year and D'Rick would be off the pros with a lot of money. Now he may be off to something even his talen can't overcome. I hope for him and the team he can overcome this but you can't let hang around and constantly cause the team grief. He has never embraced the team concept. Herman should have a one on one with him as in Al Wilson therapy.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

Its a shame that GOD sees fit to bless a young man with $10 million dollars worth of talent and only a 10 cent head to manage all that talent with. What a real dumbazz he is. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

VOLFTBL writes:

Definitely time for our other WR's to step up and I am confident that they will. We have a lot of talent just waiting to show us what they can do. Go Vols!

volboy81 writes:

What an idiot. You just cant coach, teach, help or guide stupid! This is the first bad news in a long time. Dooley has done a good job of keeping them in line. Hopefully he will learn from it and it won't hurt the team too much!

PureOrange writes:

Talent and good sense do not necessarily go together. How stupid does a player have to be to put his entire team in a bind.

The season looked so promising, but we have to sit on pins and needles because of an idiot or two.

TheCopper writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

You are such an idiot. I guess if a terrorist bombed Neyland Stadium it would be Dooley's fault, too, wouldn't it? Get a life, moron, and go lick your Fulmer poster.

luvmatersoup writes:

Holy cow, you wanna talk about having the air knocked out of you. Here I’ve been running my mouth the last two weeks about our three all-star receivers and how great our passing attack is going to be and then I read this? Are you fricken kidding me????? Whatever this dude did, he’s got to be the biggest loser in the world for doing it so close to the start of a new season. Can’t wait to start getting the texts from all my buddies about this……only a matter of time!!!! LOOOOOOOOSER, take the first bus out of Knoxville while you can or better yet, walk!

• August 23, 2012
  • 10:34 a.m.
Supersayin1 writes:

jbocap writes:

Unfortunately, not surprised. Being this close to the season, he's not a team player by breaking the rules....and right now, we dont need anyone like that.

BigOrangeFanBeagleMom writes:

When Da'Rick Rogers became a trending topic on Twitter this morning, I knew it couldn't be good.

SouthernDCist writes:

I'll say it. I'm glad CDD nipped it in the bud. It's a pretty big message to any team member (star or not) that being left off the depth chart and indefinitely suspended will hopefully equate to a good slap on the back of the head.

DR needs to correct whatever he did and grow up. The sooner, the better.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Yep, that sounds about right. At least we know one thing for certain before the season kicks off; our luck hasn't changed.

thevoice writes:

in response to Vol1968:

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if there aren't more, at key position(s). Million dollar talent, pea-brain intellect. See ya DR. These are the kind of kids I don't bother hoping for a recovery, because they typically end up bad-mouthing the program.

willblitz4bacon writes:

How hard can it be to keep out if trouble?
I don't understand why some players get into so much trouble.
I loved playing football growing up, that being said if i had the
God given talent to play a GAME and potentially make alot of money at it i'd stay out of trouble. Yet i work sometimes 84hrs
per week.

As part of the VFL program, i think cdd should take the team to some local factories and other places of employment just to show them the alternative. I don't understand it. He is on full scholarship. What does is day consist of?
1. Wake up
2.eat FREE breakfast at the school if he wants
3.go to class?
4.go to practice.
5. Eat FREE lunch.
6.go to class again?
7. Watch film?
8.Eat FREE dinner if he chose to.
9. Go to dorm, drink beer and meet chicks.
10. Go to sleep.

CrankE writes:

Wasn't this kid the same one who was in Dooley's doghouse after the loss at Kentucky and rumored to be on his way out? Nothing to see here, it's all good.

Wasn't this kid the same one tweeting like he was going to bolt to Georgia State? Yet it was all our fault for reading him wrong and such.

Rogers has a lot of talent, but it doesn't seem like he's fully committed to the team. Which really sucks for UT because we've all seen what happens when one talented receiver is not on the field.

The timing is interesting. Not a peep until a week before kickoff, then suspended indefinitely. Since class hasn't started, I couldn't see academics being the problem. My only guess is a positive drug test.

Sigh.

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

I understand what you are saying to an extent but this LOOOOOOOOOOSER was probably smoking crack or something I’m guessing! Guess the post I made earlier today under another blog about Dooley instilling more than just X’s and O’s in these kids was not only pre-mature, but WRONG!!!!!!!! I’ve never been one to advocates violence but honestly, I hope a group of our players put the beat down on this LOOOOOOOSER before he gets a chance to get out of K’town!!!!!

3volfan writes:

shoulda been let go after the KY game. he was a cancer all that week, and didn't wanna be here anyway. just too much red tape to "think" about going through to leave. if they don't wanna be here.............then please don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!!!

allvol8 writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

How hard can it be to keep out if trouble?
I don't understand why some players get into so much trouble.
I loved playing football growing up, that being said if i had the
per week.

1. Wake up
2.eat FREE breakfast at the school if he wants
3.go to class?
4.go to practice.
5. Eat FREE lunch.
6.go to class again?
7. Watch film?
8.Eat FREE dinner if he chose to.
9. Go to dorm, drink beer and meet chicks.
10. Go to sleep.

He probably missed a few spankings growing up..I think Lathers and Mcullets should give him a good hit in practice..Glad Dooley is setting a limit..amazes me people mess up their chances

BottleThrower writes:

UT is a sinking ship. It doesn't matter what the players do, they're never held accountable. Dooley is desperate and he'll do anything to keep his job. I don't know what Rogers did, but at this point he's past strike 3 and deserves to go.

So many apologists on this site that give someone a free pass because they wear orange. It's pretty sad actually but hey we were all young once and kicked cops in the head!

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Sorry, but no one is bigger than the program or the school. Penn State should have proven that to you. If Da'Rick brokes the rules, he has to pay the price regardless of the impact on the team.

The good news is that we finally have the depth to minimize the impact of this. The last two years (JJ being the example), we didn't. Yes, an injury to Hunter or CP will be more of on issue now. It just means that Browles or one of the other young receivers is going to have to step up. There is lots of talent there.

Finally, those that blame Dooley for this (either Da'Rick's behavior or the impact on the team) need to go cheer for Penn State. You are not Tennessee fans that I want to associate with.

Supersayin1 writes:

PLEASE DO NOT BE TRUE!!!! For eveyone who says we have talent at WR, not one of them other than Hunter can be as impossing as Da'Rick! CP hasn't played a single big time SEC game yet, and hasn't been against any true Defenses! So he could be at best Average. We know Da'Rick and Hunter are Big time beast! I'm sorry but only 2 good WR won't do us any good, atleast not the good that having all 3 of them on the field would do. Confidence slowly slipping now!! Now we truly have to find a run game, because we won't be bombing on anyone through the air at will anymore.

I'm sure it plays on the WR corp minds as well! When we had all 3 Hunter felt as though we could score at will, now he probably feels we can score if we have the oppertunity!! Dangit i'm sick of taking bullets out the gun! Instead of having an AK we got a 6 shooter! Sorry just pissed and again Confidence is slipping when it comes to our Offense now! PLEASE BRING BACK DA"RICK!!! GO VOLS!!

ricks995 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

So your saying bring him back regardless of what he did?

larrycook99#274374 writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

The problem is that everyone wants first and foremost to win, from the administration to the fans. If you do not win you are toast. If a coach deals with people like this decisively and loses it is all his fault and even if he did the right thing he loses his job. If he tries to keep it together in order to win, it is all his fault, but he gets to keep his job.

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Holy cow, the texts have already started……three in the last 10 minutes!!!! Can’t repeat what they say on this message board about how this is going to hurt our offense but honestly…….I can buy into it myself (just can’t tell anyone else that)! Way to go Da’Rick……fricken LOSER!

orangesherbert writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

So basically you're saying win at all costs and damn the issues that lead to this suspension.Let's just turn a blind eye to a proven albatross thats hanging around the neck of this team and make sure he gets the star treatment he deserves.The rest of the team needs to understand that rules don't apply to him because he's an elite athlete.We don't need a thing like integrity getting in the way of our success.You seem to be wound a bit tight...take your meds.