Tennessee releases depth chart for opener

University of Tennessee tight end Mychal Rivera addresses members of the media at Neyland Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012. Fall practice for the Vols begins Friday and the team opens the season Aug. 31 against North Carolina State at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL STAFF)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS

Tennessee released its depth chart Thursday for the season opener against North Carolina State on Aug. 31.

Offense

TE 81 Mychal Rivera 6-3 244 Sr.-RS

39 Ben Bartholomew 6-2 252 Sr.-RS

LT 74 Antonio Richardson 6-6 332 So.

67 Alan Posey 6-5 321 Fr.-RS

LG 71 Dallas Thomas 6-5 310 Sr.-RS

68 Marcus Jackson 6-2 310 So.

C 64 James Stone 6-3 300 Jr.

57 Mack Crowder 6-2 283 Fr.-RS

RG 72 Zach Fulton 6-5 324 Jr.

78 Alex Bullard 6-2 300 Jr.-RS

RT 70 Ja’Wuan James 6-6 323 Jr.

77 Kyler Kerbyson 6-4 320 Fr.-RS

Z 11 Justin Hunter 6-4 200 Jr.

36 Cody Blanc 6-3 202 Fr.

X 84 Cordarrelle Patterson 6-3 205 Jr.

83 Zach Rogers 6-0 172 Sr.

QB 8 Tyler Bray 6-6 215 Jr.

14 Justin Worley 6-4 213 So.

TB 20 Rajion Neal 5-11 211 Jr.

19 Devrin Young 5-8 172 So.

FB 39 Ben Bartholomew 6-2 252 Sr.-RS

38 Justin King 6-2 225 Fr.

Defense

JACK 55 Jacques Smith 6-2 244 Jr.

86 Willie Bohannon 6-2 253 Sr.-RS

DE 94 Darrington Sentimore 6-2 288 Jr.-RS

80 Corey Miller 6-3 257 Jr.

NG 98 Daniel McCullers 6-6 377 Jr.

97 Daniel Hood 6-4 292 Jr.-RS

DE 44 Maurice Couch 6-2 299 Jr.-RS

58 Marlon Walls 6-2 285 Jr.-RS

SLB 56 Curt Maggitt 6-3 240 So.

4 LaTroy Lewis 6-4 238 Fr.

MLB 45 A.J. Johnson 6-2 240 So.

46 Channing Fugate 6-1 239 Jr.

WLB 34 Herman Lathers 6-0 230 Sr.-RS

41 Dontavis Sapp 6-2 224 Jr.

LCB 27 Justin Coleman 5-10 182 So.

OR 10 Marsalis Teague 5-11 182 Sr.

FS 37 Brian Randolph 6-0 195 So.

22 Rod Wilks 6-0 221 Sr.-RS

SS 3 Byron Moore 6-0 193 Jr.-RS

OR 17 Brent Brewer 6-1 214 Jr.

RCB 23 Prentiss Waggner 6-2 182 Sr.-RS

24 Eric Gordon 5-9 190 Jr.

Special Teams

P 43 Matt Darr 6-1 213 So.-RS

OR 1 Michael Palardy 5-11 177 Jr.

PK 1 Michael Palardy 5-11 177 Jr.

KOS 1 Michael Palardy 5-11 177 Jr.

DS 53 J.R. Carr 5-11 224 Jr.-RS

59 Matt Giampapa 6-1 239 So.

H 43 Matt Darr 6-1 213 So.-RS

14 Justin Worley 6-4 213 So.

PR 19 Devrin Young 5-8 172 So.

11 Justin Hunter 6-4 200 Jr.

KR 19 Devrin Young 5-8 172 So.

84 Cordarrelle Patterson 6-3 205 Jr.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

luvmatersoup writes:

Hot dog....I know it's pathetic but this is the post I've been waiting for to come out so I could do the 1stttttttttt. Go Vols and I'm loving it!

luvmatersoup writes:

Me thinks me hear the Pride of the Southland warming up…….all the way up here in DC!!!!!!

dlobh writes:

Notice Da'Rick is nowhere to be found . . .

SummittsCourt writes:

Let's get this season kicked off already! Go Vols!

VolGrad writes:

DR suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules... just prior to release of depth chart.

He will not play vs NCSt and status for rest of season is unknown.

I wonder if the loss of Rogers means that Hunter and Patterson won't be returning punts and KOs. The last thing the Vols need is for either of those two getting hurt on a special-teams play.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

NCST by 7.

Then reality will suddenly return.

TheFuj writes:

Marlin Lane?

luvmatersoup writes:

Way to go Da'Dic_ and ruin my fricken day. Heck it's lunch time and I don't even have an appitite. Thanks LOOOOOOOOSER!!!!!!! Dam_ HIM!!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Roster looks pretty good to me; especially the OLine..Not seeing many holes in the 2 deep except TE and some DB's that need to step up and play better

NYvolFan writes:

So...yesterday the hot dogs are 100% guaranteed, and today we lose a Hot Dog....Geez!

VolFolks writes:

in response to dlobh:

Notice Da'Rick is nowhere to be found . . .

They don't have a depth chart for those that are indefinitely suspended. If they did, he may be at the top.

VolFolks writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Let's get this season kicked off already! Go Vols!

Da'Rick decided to get it "kicked off" a little early.

VOLet_parking writes:

Why on earth are Z Rodgers and C Blanc on this chart? We have brought in so many great receivers over the past few years, and he continually plays Rodgers over all of them.

VolFolks writes:

Da'Rick was somewhat more proven as he did post decent numbers last year

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to VolFolks:

Da'Rick decided to get it "kicked off" a little early.

Oh my gosh.....this has been one heck of a day for me so I need to THANK YOU! Your post actually made me laugh out loud after reading it and seriously.....that doesn't happen often! THANKS!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

JMO, but this DL 2 deep looks pretty darn solid to me. Losing DaRick drastically changes the looks of the WR depth.

FWBVol writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Just because someone has better press coming out of high school it doesn't mean they will earn a spot on the depth chart. Zach Rodgers probably plays because he shows up, works hard and keeps his nose clean. He has decent size and speed, runs good routes, catches the ball and isn't afraid to block downfield. As for Blanc, everything I've been reading from the other players indicate he could be the sleeper in this class. He is a legit sub 4.5 guy in the 40 and has good size. Is he a Da'Rick, probably not? Do the other more highly touted freshmen have a higher potential ceiling? Probably so.

I really don't think any college coach, especially one who is supposed to be on the hot seat as Dooley is, would not put a player on the depth chart or in a game that wasn't the best guy available.

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I'm just guessing you have never seen Zach play.

stevefrommemphis writes:

On the front page lineup for games at Knoxville this year, could the KNS please put the players hometown on there like they used to, and take out that center column of stats. It's always interesting to see where the players (of both teams) come from.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

The same as L and R or 1 and 2 or innie and outie.

thevoice writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

And the return game as well, even though DR may not have been directly involved. It will also affect the run game and of course the passing game. All this, one week before the season opener. There goes the offense and the continuity they achieved during all that practice.

opvol writes:

Where's Rogers?

DonK37920 writes:

Hunter is 2nd on depth chart? CP is well worth it because of his past success, but Hunter makes me nervous if he drops back to return punts.

PUL4VOLS writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Gotta have a Rogers on there somewhere man. And I suppose what happened with Da Rick caused the coaches' minds to go Blanc....Seriously, we will move on. Da'Rama is gone. Now we can act like a team and go play. It is sad and I hate it but better now than just before the FL or ALA game. Many people just had "that feeling" about Da'Sick. It's his ticket to unpunch. GO BIG ORANGE!

lomas98 writes:

I guess Pig Howard is still injured to play WR? Hopefully some of the freshmen can step up in that position. Zach Rodgers will not scare many teams. Vincent Dallas...is he still playing WR? Losing Arnett hurts our depth. Although Hunter is great, he is still coming off ACL surgery and who knows what he looks like until game action. I have read all the press clipping on CP, but still a JUCO. Won't know until after the first game on him. Suddenly WR is a little shaky.

ftblcoachc writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Hey moron, Cody Blanc is a big kid that runs 4.4s, runs great routes, and has hands. My guess is that you've never been to a practice. I've been to many.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Think play station. X WR is the square button, Y WR is the circle button. If they're covered, push the X button to hit the TE down the seam. Hope that helps.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

I wonder if you had a team that ran a 3-5-3 D, what would they call the 5th LB? Mike, Sam, Will, Jack, Roy????

HooRay_Vol writes:

Go Cody Blanc. Catch the first TD of the year against NC state when they take you lightly and you fly by the secondary!

SmokeyPride writes:

What about Brenden Downs at TE?

OrangePride writes:

looks good to me; a LOT more depth than last year and some very very good talent at lots of positions. Looks like its FOOOOOOOTBALLLLL TAHME IN TENNESSEEEEEE! GO VOLS!

OrangePride writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Now. See how fast you picked up on that? And who on here said you weren't smart?! :)

CoverOrange writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

You ask that question and have the nerve to say this?

BMSvol writes:

rogers probly threw a hissy fit when he found out he wasnt on this list.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

You ask that question and have the nerve to say this?

Please don't reply to morons. Thank you.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to SmokeyPride:

What about Brenden Downs at TE?

Injured knee.

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to ftblcoachc:

You're probably right, you are, after all, a "ftbl coach"

voloffaith writes:

in response to BMSvol:

rogers probly threw a hissy fit when he found out he wasnt on this list.

No he got T'ricked off....sad when someone with so much promise delivers so little back...reminds me of myself in teen years...knew had it good ,but acted like ,as my mother would say, the world owed me a living...

on topic, depth chart ok....lets see how much team can execute on my Bday in the dome....

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Not yet...they usually wait until Tennessee has the ball then they start up rocky top.

VolGrad writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Yep. He's just that good.

:D
Go Vols!

VolGrad writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

That made me LOL! Too funny.

Good explanation. I wonder if that is how the coaches explain it. :D

Go Vols!

VolGrad writes:

in response to RockyToptoNeyland:

Rover. Because he would alternate between DB and LB.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

springtx_vol writes:

Don't shoot me for this, but only 8 seniors on the 2 deep! We are going to have a good year this year and a great year next year, even if we loss 2 or 3 Juniors to the NFL.

givehim6 writes:

Seeing Hunters name by K/P returne makes me gulp and take a few deep breaths.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

NCST by 7.

Then reality will suddenly return.

yep. Without Rogers, we may only beat NCState by 7.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Blanc is big and fast and has good hands. He may become something.

Rogers is a reliable possession receiver. He works hard, he's not afraid to block downfield, he runs good routes, and he's a senior who's been in Chaney's system for three years. He knows the offense, and the routes and assignments. His ypc average is just about the same as that other Rogers, too.

freevol writes:

in response to dlobh:

Notice Da'Rick is nowhere to be found . . .

yes and our coaches integrity outshines his worry of winning.great job cdd

jkleno#393970 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

That is the best post I have read in months!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to dlobh:

Notice Da'Rick is nowhere to be found . . .

He did it to himself..Let's pull for these Vols that have done the right things and placed team over self..GBO!!