Da'Rick Rogers: Failed drug tests led to departure from UT

Tennessee wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers talks with the media during media day at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Da’Rick Rogers said today failed drug tests led to his suspension from the Tennessee football team and transfer to Tennessee Tech.

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley announced last week that Rogers had been suspended indefinitely, but did not go into detail about what led to the suspension

“There were a couple of drug tests,” said Rogers, a junior who led the SEC in receiving last season. “And it was about me being a young, immature guy and those are things that I’ve got to work on. I plan to do that. When it came to review my next school and I met coach (Watson) Brown I most definitely felt like he was a guy that could help me with all my things and the situation that I had going on.”

Read the full story by the Tennessean.

Ichabod writes:

I'm shocked...

Ichabod writes:

>>When it came to review my next school and I met coach (Watson) Brown I most definitely felt like he was a guy that could help me with all my things and the situation that I had going on.” <<<
Sounds like Watson can help 'The Rick' score some discounted weed....

Galaxie500XL writes:

Sounds, then, like Dooley made a difficult, but right choice to let him go.

I suspect most coaches would have found some way to "overlook" the problem, just so he could play.

luvmatersoup writes:

Sure hope his new Coach majored in narcotic rehabilitation! Go Vols!!!!

orangeintampa writes:

Tenn Tech is on the hunt for the Honey Badger

jakethevolguy writes:

What a loser. All you have to do is LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Ayres_Hall writes:

TTU is not very good and Da'Rick will enjoy being the big fish in a little pond, again.

clvolfan writes:

Ok, now we can officially say he has been kicked off the team,instead of "he will not return to the team".

FearTheVols1252 writes:

"When it came to review my next school and I met coach (Watson) Brown I most definitely felt like he was a guy that could help me with all my things and the situation that I had going on.”

Translation: I found someone else willing to babysit me.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

The NCAA is a freakin joke.

The fact that this punk can get thrown out of school and off a team because he won't stay off drugs, and be on a new team and playing within a week is ridiculous. He'll never be punished for this behavior. And don't tell me getting thrown off the team is any sort of punishment. He'll still get to the NFL and make millions. The fact that it will be a few million less than it could have been means nothing to this idiot.

If a player gets tossed for drug abuse he should have to sit out the rest of the season. Period.

monstermd writes:

This is frustrating on so many levels. However I believe this speaks most about his selfish ways than wanting to be part of the team. Great teams are achieved when players and soldiers are willing to sacrifice for one another instead of being in it for themselves.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ichabod:

I'm shocked...

Me too......my UT sources had assured me it was for unpaid parking tickets.

Duh'Rick won't make it through the season if Tech drug tests him again. He cannot get out of his own way. Personally I am sick of hearing about him. He screwed his teammates, the coaches, the fans, the University, etc. So screw him!

sameolvolalum writes:

Remember Kelley Washington? Those of this ilk create the wrong type of chemistry with any team and I think Watson Brown's going to eventually regret his decision to take this kid into his program.

Vols by 21.

RunningWithTheVols writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

The NCAA is a freakin joke.

I disagree. Janzeen Jackson did the same thing, finished his junior year at some D2 school, and joined the Giants as a FA, I believe.

I saw he was cut a couple of weeks ago. Never "made millions in the NFL".

Kiffin predicted correctly, just the wrong player. Janzen's now "pumping gas" just as Da'rick soon will be.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

"....when it came to review my next school.....that could help me with all my things and the situation that I had going on.."

Well, during his two plus years on The Hill, I don't think he ventured out of the Mary Jane fog and attended many English composition classes. The politically correct thing has probably been said; "He is a fine, young man." But, how could we possibly know??

BrassMonkey writes:

Dooley has lost complete control of the program. He cannot keep his best players on the field and out of trouble. It is truly time for him to go. He sets himself up with a multitude of excuses before each pitiful season.

RoadTrip writes:

This should help the conspiracy theorists let it go since Rogers told it. Somebody, somehow, needs to get in his head and heart before it is too late.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to orangeintampa:

Tenn Tech is on the hunt for the Honey Badger

Good thing the Vols don't play them then.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to Galaxie500XL:

Sounds, then, like Dooley made a difficult, but right choice to let him go.

You can't overlook failed test number three. Quit giving Dooley credit. He let Janzen Jackson and Rodgers make idiots of the program by covering up failed drug test until it bit him again just before kickoff. Same story new year..

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

To Da'Rick - Gut Bombs is open in Cookeville late at night for your munchie needs. Also, Taco Bell Stays open late as well. Cookeville is the bomb! LOL

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to RunningWithTheVols:

I saw he was cut a couple of weeks ago. Never "made millions in the NFL".

In the long run you're probably correct. Duh'rick will probably wash out of the NFL for one reason or another. The odds certainly are against him, as they are against any rookie entering the NFL.

My main point was the fact that this moron, and many others like him, can get tossed and end up playing for another team within a week. It's just wrong. If a player gets tossed for breaking a law they shouldn't be able to go down the road to school B and play for them. They should be banned for at least a year. Yes, it's harsh. It's called punishment. It's called reaping what you sow.

mdvol writes:

"Help Me with my situation". Translation...get me to the NFL so I can get paid and not have anymore classes.

Pretty unfair to the starting TTech WR who is about to lose his spot after busting his butt.

Unfair the Big Orange Nation did not get an apology or a refund for the 2 years of free education he was provided. Would have been nice to hear some apologetic remarks.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

What the Monkey really said:

blah blah blah LOOK AT ME blah blah blah HEY OVER HERE blah blah blah I AM LONELY blah blah blah I DEMAND ATTENTION blah blah blah WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE ME blah blah blah

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Dude, remember, it's better to just be quiet and not have everyone know what a freakin idiot your are. But, alas, too late for you.

Dooley didn't do anything almost every college coach hasn't done. UT, and 99% of other universities, don't have zero tolerance policies for drug violations. They have tiered punishments. I don't agree with it, but it's SOP for colleges. For you to say Dooley let anyone make a fool of the program once again lets us all know what a Vandy homer dip**it you are.

He kept the moron as long as he could, just like any other coach would. When he had no more options he released him just like any other coach would.

You better get back to talking to Franklin cuz you're outta your league on this site. BTW, get a weave and get rid of that idiotic hat. Not even a fedora can cover up how stupid you are.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

Anyone who has never gone to school in Cookeville does not recognize how much punishment this really is. First, he's a big dog at a program of WHO CARES (like a High School)? Second, the girls are ugly in Cookeville. Third, there is not much night life in Cookeville (and who cares - see #2). Home for Missing Links and Mosquito Women!

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to mdvol:

I do feel for the TTU WR he replaced. He will never see the field again.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

Where is Walt at now? I guess he is going to blame CDD for not showing leadership in Da'Rick choosing to do drugs rather than playing football at UT and getting an education there. Now lets see....Did Walt's hero coach ever have to deal with anyone with similiar problems? Does (5) chances for a certain player ring a bell?

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to Bark_at_the_Moon:

Awwww, now that's not nice. I've driven through Cookeville countless times heading down I-40. Granted, a few of those times I blinked and missed it, but I would never dog on Cookeville in such a manner.

Funniest thing I read though was in another thread where all the dealers in Cookeville were rejoicing knowing "the moron" was coming to town. Nothing like knowing you have job security.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

You are such an idiot.

mdvol writes:

Collegefootballnews.com says ALL VOLS on Friday!

VOLS hang 100 in their first 2 games. Start 4-0.

flatrock writes:

Word on the street in Baton Rouge is that the Honey Badger actually flunked eleven (11) drug tests before his rug could pulled...

eVOLved writes:

CDD should have pizzed in the cup for him, freeing Da'Rick from the stress and scrutiny.

BluezVol writes:

Million dollar ability. $5 brain.

Classof72 writes:

I don't blame anybody for trying to recruit and retain an athlete of that ability. It just didn't work, and it's good that it's over. They seem to have done a great job of recruiting a JC receiver to fill that slot. Maybe CP will do very well, and it'll turn out OK.

Tenn64 writes:

Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!! Brown is looking at W's and that's it!

dannasman writes:

I believe in given the Kids 2nd chances and an opportunity but this is no way to do it. Da'Rick Rogers was not held accountable, he cares nothing about TTU or receiving an education. They are simply a mean to end, a place to play ball until the NFL drafts their next thug!

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to dannasman:

You sir, are correct.

born2ride writes:

I wish Dooley would fail a drug test so we could get rid of him.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Galaxie500XL:

Sounds, then, like Dooley made a difficult, but right choice to let him go.

Dooley had nothing to do with this. This is the policy of the school and Rodgers hit the limit in failed tests. I assure you DD had no desire to let him go.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to BluezVol:

Million dollar ability. $5 brain.

Even my dogs are humble at feeding time. I just dont get it.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to born2ride:

I wish Dooley would fail a drug test so we could get rid of him.

Bitter old man

Navaloranges writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

What the Monkey really said:

I'm going with your assessment, (A). I'll add mine to the picture (B), he's going for "opposite guy" of Seinfeld fame. Everything he said is the exact opposite of reality. So (C)...All of the above.

Truth is, brassmonkey (sans the br) is also merleho, born2whine, crappiequeen, etc., etc.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Neither would you IF you ever had the brains to coach, or to do anything else besides manning the fryer, and the flip-griddle.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Everything you just typed is totally made up croppola, PERIOD. You are some professional aren't you. Just make it up as you go along. you're so transparent. Just like the rest of your ridiculous screen names, huh "brett maverick"?

Dooley has followed the rules on every player and anybody that says otherwise is full of IT, and has a personal agenda. I KNOW what I'm talking about, YOU do NOT.

needa_momma writes:

C'mon, it's just weed. That's all. It's the system, not the victim.

do_it_Dooley writes:

in response to Galaxie500XL:

Sounds, then, like Dooley made a difficult, but right choice to let him go.

that is exactly how i feel...and that should speak volumes for dooleys integrity..knowin that his job is on the line this season he suspends the best receiver in the sec

jamgod writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Your a bigger embarresment than you could possibly imagine. Such an idiotic comment from a two-bit know nothing with a keyboard. It is people like you that should stay off the site and keep their mouths shut because you really show your stupidity when that keyboard is in your hands. I love it when idiots like yourself think they have something important to say and run their mouths without any substantial evidence to back up their idiotic rantings. Keep posting, it just really shows how stupid your are and the rest of us can get a good laugh. FI!!

eVOLved writes:

legalize! Pillheads/cokeheads can beat the system, but blaze and get caught for it weeks later.

lyafarre writes:

I get the impression he could have stayed at UT, though only after serving a significant suspension, perhaps even the whole season. Considering he wasn't likely to return to college for his senior season, anyway, there really wasn't much reason for him to stay at UT.
My guess is this upcoming season is (to him) all about securing a spot in the first round of the draft. Have a decent year - anywhere - and that's gonna happen, even with his off-the-field missteps.
Anyway, I wish him success at TTU and I hope he gets a handle on his issues while his future is still really bright.

underthehill writes:

If he is a drug addict at this point his chances of getting out completely are slim at best..Meaning his chance of success in the NFL is also slim at best.He is not the first highly talented athlete to get on drugs and certainly won't be the last..I really thought Bray was more at risk than Rogers..good to see I'm wrong...